Translation Needed!

YangYaiEric

Can anyone of the Thai language experts tell me what the literal translation of

'Kor Rap' means? Also, when can a male use the female form of the word 'me' (Chan), as in 'Chan pben pbai teeiaw prung-nee!".

Thanks in advance!

Eric.

From the Royal Institute Dictionary:

ขอรับ . . . คำรับที่สุภาพชนใช้.

(khaawR rapH . . . khamM rapH theeF sooL phaapF chohnM chaiH)

"A term of response used by gentlemen"

Lexitron has this:

ขอรับ yes; sir; right Syn. ครับ, ขอรับกระผม

คำรับอย่างสุภาพมาก สำหรับผู้ชายใช้.

(khamM rapH yaangL sooL phaapF maakF samR rapL phuuF chaayM chaiH)

"A term of response which is very polite; for use by males."

As for your sentence, 'Chan pben pbai teeiaw prung-nee!', I have never seen this construction before. How about, "Chan pbai teeiaw prung-nee!" "I am going on a trip tomorrow". Where have you seen your example?

'Kor Rap' means? Also, when can a male use the female form of the word 'me' (Chan), as in 'Chan pben pbai teeiaw prung-nee!".

Thanks in advance!

Eric.

Lexitron has this:

As for your sentence, 'Chan pben pbai teeiaw prung-nee!', I have never seen this construction before. How about, "Chan pbai teeiaw prung-nee!" "I am going on a trip tomorrow". Where have you seen your example?

Eric,

As usual can't fault David's research on the first point. On the second, my opinion would be never. I have only ever heard this from males when they have entered the monkhood and refer to themselves as 'chan' ฉัน when in familar company. The correct term of course would be antamaparp อาตมภาพ when used in a more formal sense.

Hope this helps.

AjarnP

Lately I've been catching bits and pieces of lots of the prime-time soaps that my wife and in-laws like to watch. Thus, lessons learned from soap operas (never thought I'd be saying that :o):

You'll really only hear ขอรับ in period dramas (like the time-travel soap, สู่ฝันนิรันดร, that ended last week). It became shortened to ครับ pretty much universally sometime in the last century.

And though YMMV in real life (due in part, I'd say, to the observer's paradox), in the soaps the younger men tend to use ฉัน, even when talking to other men, for people of roughly their same age group. I haven't made any attempt to systematically observe, but I've noticed it. Stuff like young police officer talking to young socialite who are planning some nefarious deed.

As for when you as a non-native will use it, probably rarely, and not right away. It's not really necessary. But if you close male friends and they use it with you, then feel free to follow their lead.

Edited by Rikker

Thanks in advance!

Eric.

Lexitron has this:

Eric,

As usual can't fault David's research on the first point. On the second, my opinion would be never. I have only ever heard this from males when they have entered the monkhood and refer to themselves as 'chan' ฉัน when in familar company. The correct term of course would be antamaparp อาตมภาพ when used in a more formal sense.

Hope this helps.

AjarnP

Sorry. My mistake! I should have written 'Chan bpai tieeaw prung-nee' and NOT used the 'pben' in the original sentence. Anyway, when can I use 'Chan' when referring to myself, in a sentence?