Uk House Insurance.

TBWG

Hi

Just advised my House insurers that I am going away to Thailand for 6 months to get away from the English winter and they have said Sorry Guv to long and canceled my policy.

Surely I can't be the only person in this position? Anyone have any ideas who will cover me ?

TBWG :o

NEVER EVER EVER contact an insurance company about a policy you hold with them before you have at first re-read the terms and conditions of your contract.

That goes for cases like this where you are informing them of a change of circumstance and it certainly goes for if you are making a claim.

Hi Folks

Thanks for prompt replies...

I have now established that typical house insurance policies will cover vacancies of 60 days but no longer. I have not had problems in the past as my son has always stayed whilst we are in LOS, but he now has place of his own. So the place will be vacant for the 7 month duration.

My main gripe is that I only renewed the policy about a month ago and mentioned it at that time, but they said tell us nearer the time! It is not as if they said we want an extra £xx and terms & conditions it was just a plain sorry we are canceling.

There are other options out there and I am waiting on a few replies I followed up via internet. But I will be able to get coverage which is the main thing.

TBWG :o

I did some googling & it seems other insurers will insure you but may exclude some things from the cover, like damage from burst pipes & malicious damage. Let us know how you get on though as it is a problem I am sure some other posters might be coming across. :o

I had a similar problem.

I tried to claim on my policy and they turned round and cancelled the policy

claiming I had never told them the property was let out to tenants.

Back in 1985 when I left the UK I certainly told the Mortgage company,

Abbey National back in those days, Santander now, and they are the people

who also handle the insurance.................

How can I prove that I told them over 20 years ago????????

They have been cheerfully taking my money for all those years. :o