Private Tutoring

MMR

I have recently hired a new employee (Thai). Her English skills are sub-par for the position she is filling.

However, due to her expertise in the required field, I feel as though learning English would be a better

route than finding someone else with better language skills.

What kind of rates can I expect to be paying for private tutoring?

Should I get a discount for buying lessons in bulk? (which I will be doing)

What kind of qualifications should I be looking for?

Is there a teaching method I should ask about for speedy learning?

Feel free to PM me with your qualifications if you feel you can assist us with learning English.

If she can read and write English, she can learn quickly with a good tutor and dilligent work between lessons.

If not, she should learn this.

I would avoid teachers who want to teach extensive grammar.

That is the meta language and you need results quickly.

Situational teaching would be most effective IMO and combined with reading/writing skills

she should do well if motivated.

JMHO

I do not think you can get decent tutors in Bangkok under 500 baht per hour. Maybe 700, paid in advance, you pay if the student does not show. You should get a true native speaker who already teaches during the day.

Just my humble guess from afar.

Yup, this pretty much what we have been seeing as well.

Thanks

One-on-one tutoring is not the same as a class, for either the teacher or student. Structure is still needed, but there are no pairs or groups of students to practice with. The student should not be shy. Two hours is the practical limit for both, with a short break at the hour. I usually do better as a tutor; styles differ. There should be an interview with you, student and teacher.

• 3 weeks later...

I suggest that you find a tutor that can speak flawless English and flawless Thai. This teacher can relate and assist the student in their English pronunciation frustrations and can immediately explain to the student, in Thai, the English terms/phrases that they do not understand. The 'Talking Dic' usually does not explain 'street phrases'... I hired one tutor who had these skills and was amazed how much my employee's English improved compared to the previous native speakers that I hired.

I suggest that you find a tutor that can speak flawless English and flawless Thai. This teacher can relate and assist the student in their English pronunciation frustrations and can immediately explain to the student, in Thai, the English terms/phrases that they do not understand. The 'Talking Dic' usually does not explain 'street phrases'... I hired one tutor who had these skills and was amazed how much my employee's English improved compared to the previous native speakers that I hired.

Whilst I agree in with your basic premise, I have found that in reality the English native speaker needs to exercise great discipline to speak in Thai only when absolutely necessary. I have found myself slipping into Thai far too often for my liking. The Thai student may feel more at ease with a Thai speaking teacher but I have found that they make less effort to understand the English when they can just slip into Thai to ask for explanations. I make it a rule that Thai is only spoken at the beginning (for administrative purposes) and at the conclusion (to answer any questions that could not be understood in English. I leave 20 minutes at the end of the lesson for the purpose of Q&A and free form conversation.

I agree with PB regarding one on one. Teaching a group is easier because group activity helps overcome the Thai aversion to loss of face. Structure is probably more important in one on one.

Edited by midasthailand

Nice work, if you can find such a tutor for under 1,500 an hour. However, I agree with midasthailand, that too much teacher-talk in the student's native language is not teaching the target language. Also, the Thai student may end up practicing less English. I thought of moving to Mexico, to teach EFL. I imagined I would be tempted to use Spanish too much. However, when learning Spanish one-on-one, it was helpful for something really weird, like the subjunctive, to be explained to me in English.