Cha Am To Surat Thani

Altos

Hello All - I am preparing to move to LOS in the next few months. It seems Hua Hin may have good infrastructure to get things established in LOS and so (presently) is my initial destination.

I am however a keen kayaker and when I enquired about beaches and water in the Jontein area was recommended to forget it as even few locals will swim there. The claim was the beaches were virtually strewn with condoms and turds. I don't find that very appealing so have been looking at the HH side of the Gulf. I believe that Phang Nga Bay is a very beautiful location but from what I see looking at Google satellite pictures it is mostly mangroves on the beach lines. This makes me look further North as I have no wish to camp amongst mangroves or stop for lunch in such a location. Such may also be a good habitat for salt water crocodiles which I have no wish to meet. At present I expect to look at locations for living anywhere from Surat Thani to Cha Am.

I believe there are fishing villages on the HH side of the Gulf and so the water is not so good in those locations as the fish are gutted etc. I don't know whether sharks are a problem on the western side of the Gulf. The fish cleaning may attract them . . . . ??

I do also however need good internet facilities, at very least reliable 512 ADSL, as I trade stock and currency markets. My wife is Chinese and so I am accustomed to Asian dining so as long as she can find a vegetable market we have little problem doing without farang food although some farang company would be nice. I am 70 my wife of ten years, 45.

A Western style doctor and dentist might be desirable but we can travel easily.

I note cable TV is available in HH but is there much English TV ?

Anybody give me some comments on any destinations between the above and the general lifestyle of any such locations. Comparitive area housing/condo costs are of some interest also. We will keep a house in Australia so don't have millions of $ for housing. Just nice average is OK.

Thanks,

Michael.

Edited by Altos

Try the Thapsakae to Ban Krut areas. I lived at one of the resorts/mubans that had a klong running behind the property. The klong apparently originates at a waterfall, and meanders down toward the sea then runs parallel to the coastline for 8 or 10 km. It empties into the gulf at Don Samran beach.

There is another klong that crosses the road north of Bangsaphan.

I always thought it could make an interesting day paddle, but none of the resorts seemed to think so. The dry season could create some difficulties, but the trees around the klong hav lots of birdlife.

Also, that area has long stretches of beach, much of it is open.

If you explore that coastline by longtail (hire a fishing longtail) you will discover the klongs.

As MSingh suggested Chumphon, I would guess that the nice islands offshore in northern Chumphon Province would be good for sea kayaking.

Take a drive down the coast, but use local roads rather than Rt 4. There are dozens of interesting places. You might like Tapsakae town better than Chumphon as Chumphon is one of the rainier provinces in Thailand.