Don't Put Off Your Life.

garro

I think that the current financial crisis around the world contains a lesson for us all. How many times do you hear the more financially secure members of this type of forum lecture others on the importance of financial security before moving to Thailand. The truth is their is no real financial security and waiting for a magic day when you feel financially secure is just delaying your dreams until a day that might never come. I earn a modest wage in Thailand, but I am living the life I want to live today. What do others think?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not rich, I am not poor, I made a decision to live in Thailand 7 years ago, and I never regret it one bit. This is the life for me !!!! No regrets whatsoever, I cannot enjoy myself when i am dead, so I am enjoying myself while I am alive, and i refuse to worry about the future anymore. I take each day as it comes from now on. Lifes great here.

I think that the current financial crisis around the world contains a lesson for us all. How many times do you hear the more financially secure members of this type of forum lecture others on the importance of financial security before moving to Thailand. The truth is their is no real financial security and waiting for a magic day when you feel financially secure is just delaying your dreams until a day that might never come. I earn a modest wage in Thailand, but I am living the life I want to live today. What do others think?

Garro, well said....learned this lesson many years ago after being cleaned out by a rather vindictive Ex-wife, left me with $ 2000 to my name and a one suitcase...glad to say 7 years on, back to where I was finanically before, but rather than wait for the magic day as you put it, I live the life the way I want to and if i feel like doing something, buying something or going somewhere, I just do....you cant take it with you....

And yes I buy Starbucks coffee at THB 75 a cup... :o

Well, I have been a moderate in the live for today vs. squirrel it away until your Bill Gates debate, but I must say as I watch my asset values melt before my eyes (not to mention inflation and dollar erosion), I am feeling somewhat of a sucker for saving anything. The capitalist system expects average people to be financial gurus, and yet now we know even the gurus are totally full of the smelly stuff.

Edited by Jingthing

Its a fine line to tread, I always seem to be waiting for that day when i can sit back but i fear that it really never comes, just keep plodding on.

Well, I have been a moderate in the live for today vs. squirrel it away until your Bill Gates debate, but I must say as I watch my asset values melt before my eyes (not to mention inflation and dollar erosion), I am feeling somewhat of a sucker for saving anything. The capitalist system expects average people to be financial gurus, and yet now we know even the gurus are totally full of the smelly stuff.

It is certainly tough days. I would much prefer to be broke due to my own incompetence and failures.

I was reading a book about 'black swan theory' before this crisis hit and it was very relevant to what is happening now.

Having married a Thai I have to say that her influence on me has taught me not to always be looking to the future. I have always been geared (upbringing) to being very conservative and save, save, save for the future. Granted I have followed a lot of this philosophy and even after being unemployed for almost 5 months now (job taken away after 22 years of service) I am still in a good financial position because of my previous discipline.

My message however is that although I am still financially responsible and somewhat conservative with money, my wife has helped me to learn that life is a lot about now and you can't always be looking to the future. We have brought a good balance to each others lives. She has learned that one must be financially responsible and live within one's means and I have learned that you can't live your life always preparing for the future.

With that being said, I am currently liquidating all of my non-essential household items and junk I have collected over the years, selling a couple of vehicles and a big-boy toy to prepare for a possible couple years of teaching in Thailand. I worked in Thailand for a few years some years back and know what I am walking into but hey, when you are dead, you are dead for a long time (depending upon your religious beliefs) so I am going to be responsible about my money and live an adventure for now. My previous job has allowed me to be fully vested in a modest but ample nest egg available to me in 9 years that will allow me to live comfortably, not lavishly, and that's all I want. I just have to get there from here.

Financial balance is what people should strive for and not be skewed to one side (money hoarders) or the other (spend thrifts) in my opinion. There are many out there with far less than ourselves and that is what keeps me grounded about money matters and the financial market difficulties ahead.

Regards,

Martian

Edited by Martian

I agree. I think that many people have been sold a lie that they can save their way to happiness. I think one of the reasons that the "you have to have a $million to live in Thailand" brigade are so vocal in their beliefs is that the truth is that they are no happier now than when they had no money but to admit to it would be a devasting blow to their self worth so a bit like the most aggresive homophobs they go on the attack instead.

Find a job you love, live within your means, save 15% of your salary and you'll be just fine. Even if that job is a 30k a month teaching job in Thailand the same rules applies. If you have a job you love the truth is that there is no need to retire. I think that the retire early crowd find it hard to accept this because they gave so many years of their own life to an existence that caused more pain than pleasure.

Mind you, saving a few k before you become a teacher in Thailand is still a very, very sensible thing to do. :o

I have just finished reading a sharemarket report,yep too true Garro,there is no financial security in the world at the moment.

The whole thing is a mess but it is us little guys who have to bear the brunt of the incompetent ass#hls in the financial markets who couldn't see past tomorrow.

Suppose it comes back to preparing for the inevitable and having some reserves to handle the worst case scenario.

My magic day arrived about 3 days before I set foot in Bkk after a lifetime of work and it is the best decision of life.

My thinking changed considerably a number of years ago after I was severely injured in a bad motorcycle accident...

you never know what is around the corner and now I like to live every day like today is my last day on earth.which it very nearly was !

Rich

are you for real? dont make excuses for your bad choices in life, running away to live in the 3rd world (that is on the verge of political and social collapse) isn't a solution either, it is what people do when they have no coping skills and do not want to accept their own limitations

take reponsibility for your life, do you earn a modest wage becasue you choose to or becasue you have no other choice based on your own decisions?

if you would spend 15 minutes a day educating yourself rather than posting philopshy on Thaivisa, you would be in better shape financially

let me know when your midlife crisis ends

Am I for real?

You know nothing about me and yet here you are discussing my bad life choices? I am very happy with life, and I had many happy days before I came to Thailand.

If you are going to tell people to educate themselves then perhaps it would be worth investing 15 minutes of your time per day in learning basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Thanks for your input though.

are you for real? dont make excuses for your bad choices in life, running away to live in the 3rd world (that is on the verge of political and social collapse) isn't a solution either, it is what people do when they have no coping skills and do not want to accept their own limitations

take reponsibility for your life, do you earn a modest wage becasue you choose to or becasue you have no other choice based on your own decisions?

if you would spend 15 minutes a day educating yourself rather than posting philopshy on Thaivisa, you would be in better shape financially

let me know when your midlife crisis ends

Am I for real?

You know nothing about me and yet here you are discussing my bad life choices? I am very happy with life, and I had many happy days before I came to Thailand.

If you are going to tell people to educate themselves then perhaps it would be worth investing 15 minutes of your time per day in learning basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Thanks for your input though.

garro -- I'm glad you said it first, you beat me too it, by the way great post and spot on :o

Garro,

Pay no attention to the detractor. bingobongo obviously values and gains self worth from money and wealth. This is exactly the reason for your original post...that money isn't everything and one should live life, but responsibly. I think your original post was a great message and that people don't necessarily need a lot of money to be happy and enjoy life. If a person is one of those people than by all means don't put off pursuing your dream...even if it means living in 3rd world country making a modest salary....whatever makes you happy, as long as you don't become a burden to others.

Regards,

Martian

Edited by Martian

I have trouble thinking of many people i know back in the uk who are doing exactly what the want in life as far as career/job goes.Many have been doing it so long that they are scared to do anything else.How many people really enjoy their work?Most are just slaves to the system working all our lives leading up to an age where hopefully we will be able to wipe our own a$$es or get out of a chair without the aid of support,but still have loads of money in the bank,just limited to what you can do with it.

I think you guys are just to kind. It’s a dog eat dog world out there. And I know you don’t want to here it. but you got to kick some ass to get to the top. Break the rules.

There’s room at the top there telling you still, but 1st you must learn to smile as you kill.-Working class hero- John Lennon :o

Interesting post Garro

I think you will find that most TV users......regardless of the reasons why they came to Thailand, and continue to live in Thailand................are living the life they want right now.

Everybody here, has at some point said goodbye to the routine back home.............and i say good on them for doing it

I think those who don't have much in terms of savings and fixed income streams are the ones who will be hurting the most... that's true of just about any financial crisis. Dreams and financial independence can most certainly go together hand in hand, probably more often than the other way around.

:o

I think most people will find that as the financial crisis works out they will be far happier. The economy in the short term is going to produce less greed and materialism and a retreat into the spiritual values that bring happiness to all. I learned how to be happy when I had nothing and I have faith that I can do it again if I lost all my dosh. Actually, I've found it much harder to keep balance in my life since I have more financial assets.

I have trouble thinking of many people i know back in the uk who are doing exactly what the want in life as far as career/job goes.Many have been doing it so long that they are scared to do anything else.How many people really enjoy their work?Most are just slaves to the system working all our lives leading up to an age where hopefully we will be able to wipe our own a$$es or get out of a chair without the aid of support,but still have loads of money in the bank,just limited to what you can do with it.

I was one of those people. Not exactly hating my job but wasn't necessarily doing what I would have chosen to do in life. It paid the bills, helped raise my children and paved the way for a decent life but not the one I would have chosen. I am trying to look at the situation as my old company has given me a second opportunity at life and I am going to seize upon it even if I only make 20% or less of my previous salary. As long as I have enough to live on month-to-month, I will be fine. I have already saved enough to responsibly take care of myself and my wife without having to depend upon others. No one should ask of or expect anything more of anyone else.

Just think what shape every country in the world would be in if everyone (except those that had no control over their situation, medical or otherwise) made good choices and the sacrifices needed to care for their own needs. EVERYONE in the world would be better off.

Regards,

Martian

Edited by Martian

Prior to moving to Thailand six years ago I worked as a nurse. I spent some time working in palliative care and met many people who had deep regrets about not living their life when they had the chance. Of course we need to be sensible, but it is possible to make a comfortable life here in Thailand by starting with very little - if you want it enough. People do fail of course, but at least they tried.

Garro, nice topic. Here is a quote I like and have posted before on other threads ..... All boils down to not measuring your wealth in dollars.

"What if the spell of a place falls upon a youthful heart, and the bright horizon calls!

Many a thing will keep till the world's work is done, and youth is only a memory.

When the old enchanter came to my door, laden with dreams, I reached out with both hands.

For I know that he would not be lured with the gold that I might offer later, when age had come upon me."

-- Viking's Wake, Richard J. MacCullaugh

"If you want to make God laugh, make plans." But you still have to, nevertheless. To not plan for the future - and that means putting enough aside to have some independence and some choices in the future - would be improvident. But to sacrifice the present to a future that may not come is a pity, especially if your near and dear miss out as a result.

Living contentedly on a modest salary and putting something aside as well seems a good policy, especially for someone with dependents, unless you want to throw yourself on the good graces of your children or the welfare state in old age, and the latter won't help in Thailand.

Thailand may in fact be a good place to sit out the effects of the coming crash if you have savings and can live on the local economy, but it may also become more dangerous if poverty spreads further and people's envy of your apparent wealth turns to hostility - in which case a nest egg might be handy to get yourself and your family out of the place.

I think it was the Buddha who said we are like children playing under a burning house. At some point we have to be able to avert the undesirable, such as penury and dependence, and that will require at least some modest assets.

Cheers

X.

Garro, nice topic. Here is a quote I like and have posted before on other threads ..... All boils down to not measuring your wealth in dollars.

"What if the spell of a place falls upon a youthful heart, and the bright horizon calls!

Many a thing will keep till the world's work is done, and youth is only a memory.

When the old enchanter came to my door, laden with dreams, I reached out with both hands.

For I know that he would not be lured with the gold that I might offer later, when age had come upon me."

-- Viking's Wake, Richard J. MacCullaugh

Nice one, T_Dog. It's so much better to reach out and respond to the call when you're young and fresh and still able to be excited.

Additionally, my wife (Thai) has also overcome that Thai belief that making money in the USA leads to happiness. Just yesterday as we were walking out of her Oath of Citizenship ceremony she said: "I don't need money in my life anymore, just enough to eat and take care of myself....."

Quite a thought from someone who came from a society that believes that money grows on trees in the USA and that money, money, money is what makes life happy.

Yes, for those who haven't had money, it is something of a dream to have. But for those who had that dream and garnered some money, many find it isn't all it is cracked up to be. Happiness lies elsewhere for most people.

Regards,

Martian

I think most people will find that as the financial crisis works out they will be far happier.

Actually, I've found it much harder to keep balance in my life since I have more financial assets.

:o

Now if only all those people who are losing their homes could look at things in such a positive light.

:D

You have a point.

The posters that give advice on financial security have often made the right and prudent decisions. They also worked hard. They also lived under different circumstances than others depending on their age, occupation, and where they lived.

The old line of diversifications rings true.

If someone loses a lot of their net worth in the financial markets - they were not diviersified into other areas enough.

That is the risk you take.

What is wealth anyway?

I have done well for myself in the past and at one point I was cash liquid and staying in a house with it's own pool. I am now living on more modest means and living in a studio apartment but am I any less happy?........ NO. The wonderful house that I was staying in before had rooms which I hardly ever even entered and I only swam in the pool once. In many ways it might have well just been another studio apartment because I don't miss anything from that house

The only time that money has been a real issue for me is when the simple things such as paying the rent and even feeding my family was not a given. It was a horrible, horrible experience that I am working hard on and making sacrifices in the hope of achieving it will never happening again for my family and I.

When I was down and out, I used to have to catch the bus. Whilst stuck in traffic in a hot, overcrowded bus I wished to be able to afford a taxi.

Then I could afford a taxi, but after a while, whilst sat in a taxi I would think to myself that I would like my own car.

Then I could afford a car, a beaten up old gas guzzling BMW. After a while the high maintenance, poor performance and huge petrol consumption of the BMW made me wish for a new car.

I now own a 'fairly' new toyota which serves me well, although the parking bay next to me holds a sexy looking sporty Mazda, I now want that Mazda.

I could go on.............

Nowadays though, and after some experience of 'roughing it', should I look at that Mazda and find myself wanting for it then I am able to give myself a pinch and remind myself of the hours that I spent stuck in a hot, stuffy and overcrowded bus wishing for a taxi fare.

Nowadays I have pretty much what I want, and by want I mean the things that I need such as not having the stress of not being able to pay the bills. I also have the comfort of being able to do things such as send my daughter to a decent school and to be able to plan for a christmas sat on a tropical beach with close friends and family (I really can't wait)

One thing that I am missing though is something in the bank, should for whatever reason I lose my job tomorrow then I am up the swanny without a paddle and there is not a day that goes by that I don't think about it. And so currently my financial planning consists of being as frugel (Sp) as I can in the hope of having enough in the bank to carry us long enough for me to find another income.

My wife often comments on just how tight I have become recently, e.g.: "If you want some cheese then just buy it would you, you tight git". Although once I am confident that once the basics are covered for the short/medium term future then I will relax somewhat.

In short I am currently having to sacrifice a bit of 'life', for the things that are most important, for me this is financial planning at its grass roots level. But I am still able to reward my sacrifices with things such as going out tomorrow night for the first time in ages to have a ruby (Indian curry for the non-brits) and get hammered with my wife and friends. :o