Don't Put Off Your Life.

garro

Personally I would think there is nothing different about living in Thailand and anywhere else.

Could be a little bit of grass is greener syndrome.

It's just better in some respects and worse in others.

Most of the people I know (outside of Thailand) wouldn't come to live here if you paid them.

It's not for everyone for sure but it suits others just fine. If I had retired in the Southern California area where I worked, I'd live like a pauper. I paid more there to rent a shoe-box one bedroom apartment than it cost to live here. One of the main advantages here is the weather. I HATE cold weather.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being happy isn't about money as I think everyone here seems to agree on. For the biggest majority, it seems they don't know how to make a change or are too scared to give up there secure if boring lives in their home countrys.

Having said that, Life is what you make of it, regardless of how much money you have or don't have and regardless of what country you live in.

Some people can find pleasure in the little things in life.

I think most people will find that as the financial crisis works out they will be far happier.

Actually, I've found it much harder to keep balance in my life since I have more financial assets.

:o

Now if only all those people who are losing their homes could look at things in such a positive light.

:D

As far as I know, no one is losing their homes. They are simply losing a painfully burdening debt in their present domicile and most will rent lovely accomodations that are more affordable and bring less mental distress into their lives. How this could be perceived as a negative is beyond me.

It is true that you should try and get what happiness is possible where you are today. We all know that tommorow is not promised to us.

However, their are some facts about life. For instance most people do not have the job that they just love. Most of us have to work the drudge. This is due to the responsibilities that we have. Planning for the future is essential! Of course money is not everything. Work is not everything.

I will admit that I have a stressful job in difficult and unpleasant circumstances. Financially this is the best job due to my limitations that I could get. I see many other people working in unpleasant circumstances that are not a s fortunate as myself. I don't delude myself as some do by saying that you can do anything. That is just not true. I have limitations as do all of us. Every one's limitations are individualized. Some people say it is what you make it. I don't believe this. It is what it is. Only omnipotent deities if any exhists can change the reality of the world. Most of us will not be able to take BIll Gate's path to self actualization. We will never paint like Monet.

I dream of retirement in Thailand. I have been the happiest in Thailand. But I don't just dream I plan!

I have saved a considerable amount of money. In one year and eight months time at the age of 55. I will be able ot retire with half pay and medical for life as well from my pension. Yes, it has been a hard 23 years 3 months. But when I retire. I will be very comfortable. No I have not deprived myself of everything and just hoarded funds. Though I have not been extravagent either.

For most of us Thailand is not the place to make our money. We must make it in our home countries. This takes time. Another unpleasant reality. As is the fact that what time we may have is limited.

I am reminded of an old story about the Grasshopper and the Ant. The Ant worked hard every day. Every now and then the Ant would run across the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper in a chirping voice would say to the Ant. Why don't you just party, drink and have a good time! The Ant would say winter is coming and I must prepare. Well eventually winter came as it will to all of us. During the winter the Ant heard a faint chirping and knocking on his door. The Ant looked out through it's video camera and saw the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper said. I know your in their Ant. Let me in. I am cold and hungry. The Ant said softly to the Grasshopper. I told you winter was coming. Didn't you work and store provisions. The Grasshopper said life is too short. I just partyed, danced and drunk. The Ant said I worked hard while you just partyed. I have enough for me and my family. But I cannot provide for yours as well. I am so sorry Grasshopper. The Ant then went back to watch the Bloomberg channel on cable TV. When spring came and the Ant went out side on its way to the airport to go to Pattaya, The Ant saw ther dried up remains of the Grashopper. The Ant said in a quiet voice. I am so sorry Grasshopper. But I told you winter was coming. (Winter is realy just an analogy for old age). Winter is coming and we must prepare. That is not to say that the Ant just hoarded resources. The Ant was a realist and prudent.

I think most people will find that as the financial crisis works out they will be far happier.

Actually, I've found it much harder to keep balance in my life since I have more financial assets.

:o

Now if only all those people who are losing their homes could look at things in such a positive light.

As far as I know, no one is losing their homes. They are simply losing a painfully burdening debt in their present domicile and most will rent lovely accomodations that are more affordable and bring less mental distress into their lives. How this could be perceived as a negative is beyond me.

Exactly. And look kids, we'll all be using the same bathroom now! And our new place's kitchen/dining room/ and living room... all in ONE room! Fun fun fun. Let's go watch the repo-man's tow truck take away mommy's Volvo.... A positive outlook is important.

As it turns out my children are just going to have a much smaller inheritance than planned.

Now, now. You have absolutely no way of knowing that. Maybe they're going to get even more than planned as you scoop up all the fine bargains for greater profit later.

Let's not go Chicken Little here.

If I were a young man right now, I'd likely be suicidal thinking about the economy and the uncertain working years ahead.

No, you wouldn't. You'd be quaffing beers at the pub and chasing beautiful young women. Young men just never get suicidal for the reasons you mentioned. :o

Edited by JSixpack

I think that the current financial crisis around the world contains a lesson for us all. .....

The truth is their is no real financial security and waiting for a magic day when you feel financially secure is just delaying your dreams until a day that might never come. I earn a modest wage in Thailand, but I am living the life I want to live today. What do others think?

Well for sure there will be.........less banks for me to ROB!!!! hahaha :D:o

Ok joke aside......

Seriously what I have been seeing

Mostly everyone AROUND ME, including myself - has gone down at least ONE "class" ------upper class will be demoted into upper middle class, and middle class (average person's) will be demoted to low middle class NOW............AND the poor? - have no idea how can U go lower than that!

oh well such life!!! :D

Mostly everyone AROUND ME, including myself - has gone down at least ONE "class" ------upper class will be demoted into upper middle class, and middle class (average person's) will be demoted to low middle class NOW............AND the poor? - have no idea how can U go lower than that!

You obviously have no idea what the meaning of "class" is. It has nothing to do with money.

There are working class millionaires and impoverished aristocrats.

You obviously have no idea what the meaning of "class" is. It has nothing to do with money.

There are working class millionaires and impoverished aristocrats.

You obviously haven't gone thru the "higher education", and I was referring to different classes, according to the Census definition, JA

May be I'm not a person like YOU, who always see or hear things and everything WITH such a negative "Connotation" ....ME think, ...U think too mut!!

Go take a good rest, ....or scout for another victim,.....don't mess with ME!!....sir

Glad it works for you, but for some of us, your views are just an excuse to explain away one's failings. I'm not a defeatist. If you can live happily with your income, good for you, but don't judge people that want to excel.

The current financial markets adjustment is just that. The sky will not fall. It will be tough for those that do not have useful work skills or the financial resources to ride it out. Again, for some of us, we work hard so that we can live in the style we want. That means saving and trading off instant gratification for peace of mind. That's our right. Has it occurred to you, that some of us are actually happy knowing that we have done the utmost to prepare for our future? Yes, I dislike my job, but I hated the one I had before this one even more and the stress aged me. That's the reality for many of us. That job I dislike lets me walk into a supermarket and buy things without worrying about the cost. It's a tradeoff. I don't want to ever worry about having debt or paying bills.

The truth is their is no real financial security and waiting for a magic day when you feel financially secure is just delaying your dreams until a day that might never come. I earn a modest wage in Thailand, but I am living the life I want to live today. What do others think?

There is financial security it is called a skilled trade or a profession. As long as people need to live there will always be a need for farmers to feed them, carpenters to build homes, plumbers to make things work and doctors and nurses to heal them. The people that will suffer are those who cannot fend for themselves, or did not prepare for hard times or have no skills that others will need. Everyone is replaceable, and that's why I've kept a diversified asset base and made sure that I can do a number of jobs.

The capitalist system expects average people to be financial gurus, and yet now we know even the gurus are totally full of the smelly stuff.

No it doesn't. It let's the people that actually contribute keep some of their contributions. The current crisis is not capitalism but unchecked criminality and greed without oversight. It's what happens when greedy people get to do whatever they want. It's not just wall street bankers hands that are dirty: Look at the biggest investment funds and you'll see they are sovereign wealth funds (government ), unions and the general public through mutual funds. The consumer pushed the investments to return bigger and fatter returns and now some are getting their just rewards. They sure as hel_l weren't complaining when the stock market returned gains in double digits or when workers lost their jobs due to M&As. Many foreigners in Thailand, collecting pensions now, benefited from the massive returns pumped out in the past decade. So it's not that unfair that they should have a bit of cost for the next year or two.

I have chosen a career that necessitates a modest lifestyle, wherever in the world I work. Living in Thailand I earn about 85% of what I would earn in the US. The difference is that my rent here takes up about 15% of my income for a 2-bedroom townhouse in BKK, whereas in the US rent for the same type of housing would run to 50% or more of my total income, with zero opportunities for ownership. So it seems I am in the fortunate position of making relatively decent money, for the career I have chosen, and I am living in the location that I most desire. It is now time for me to look more seriously into retirement plans, tighten the belt a bit, and make the necessary sacrifices to gain better financial security for myself and my family. I have about 26 years left before retiring. I teach mathematics and physics.