Los, Cambodia, Vietnam, Phill Etc

benjamat

I will shortly be giving up work and want to live in SE Asia.

I love Thailand but am very concerned with the difficulties over property ownership and visa.

I would appreciate any thoughts and experience here, Where can you retire without constant worrying about your status?

Cambodia has the easiest visas where you can get a 1 year business visa for $250 at any decent travel agent,which you can extend indefinitely,but outside of the tourist towns there is just bleak towns that look very neglected(fine if you like really quiet though or want to farm some land)& you realise just how poor the country is.So if you need some local comforts or entertainment you are really restricted to sihanoukville,siem reap,or kampot & kep(very quiet).I personally would not want to live in phnom penh.Ive heard the prices of everything (particurly building materials) has sky rocketed recently,& cambodia definitely has one price for farang,another for local.Renting a place can be more expensive than thailand.

At the moment in Laos you still only get the 1 month visa that you can extend every month at 2 usd a day (why they dont offer longer visas as an option i dont know..theres money to be made).

Not sure about those countries but I can tell you about Malaysia.

I lived and worked there for 8 years, awesome place to make money especially if you are professional in your field. Their infrastructure is 20 years ahead of Thailand, people are friendly but not so courtious in metropolitan area, especialy ethnic Chinese.

Anyway, they have so called "silver hair" program for people who wish to retire there. You are entitled to own the land and house, unless it is in area allocated to Bumiputera. These are native sons and daughters - in this case Malay Muslims in peninsula and Kadazan/Dusun Christians on Borneo. You may import 1 car tax free or buy it in certain duty free areas such as Langkawi and Labuan islands. Langkawi is not very far from Phuket itself, totaly duty free - from cigarettes, alcohol beverages and food to vehicles, construction material etc...(wish Thais were smart and made Phuket duty free zone). Just about 90% of hotels on the island are 5 star luxury resorts, world class yacht marina, top class international airport, frequent ferry rides to Kedah and Penang. There are regular annual events such as LIMA - international aircraft show, bicycle race "Tour de Langkawi" and many many others....Security is top notch, crime is unheard of. Most of Malaysian government cabinet members own homes there, former PM Mahathir and his ex finance minister Daim Zainuddin own about half of the island. If you want peace and quite, fishing, yachting etc...Langkawi is the place. I took my parents there for holiday and they loved it. However, night life is almost non-existant but then again that is what certain generations prefer anyway.

On other hand, Labuan is more of industrial duty free zone. Offshore banking and companies and oil/gas explorations. They do have some fancy hotels though, Brunei is just stone throw away. Everything is cheap, few nice beaches but nothing spectacular.

The reason I choose Phuket was my age at the time, only 35 and have no regrets. But if you are over 50, long time happily married and looking for peace of mind in security of YOUR OWN HOME without fears of loosing it to some government regulations, Langkawi is the obvious choice.

I initially decided that Thailand was the best place for me many years ago. Haven't actually retired yet, but have been living there (and working here) for a few years now.

When I first decided that I didn't want to spend my golden years wading through snow and ice, paying ever increasing prices and taxes on ever diminishing funds, I started looking at alternatives.

I made up a list of things I considered important (even though some of the things didn't apply to my situation at the time).

I wanted somewhere with good weather (rather have warm monsoons than hail, freezing rain and snow).

Somewhere with good transportation systems (internally and getting in/out of the country).

Reasonable Health Care system (hoping never to have to need it).

Good education systems (I figure if they've got good school systems, it says a lot about the rest of the place).

Good prices (i.e. favourable exchange rates).

Stable (or nearly so) government (OK, that's kind of gone downhill recently, but at least it's not communist, or a dictatorship, yet).

Other factors (good food, good people, internet access, TV, vehicles, etc).

In the end, when I looked it all over, Thailand came out on top. There are cheaper places. There are places that are perhaps more "expat" friendly. There are other places with good food, people, exchange rates and so on.

No place is perfect (if it was, everyone would already be living there, and would have screwed it up by now any ways), but based on the criteria and information I had at the time, I chose Thailand and haven't regretted it.

Not sure about those countries but I can tell you about Malaysia.

I lived and worked there for 8 years, awesome place to make money especially if you are professional in your field. Their infrastructure is 20 years ahead of Thailand, people are friendly but not so courtious in metropolitan area, especialy ethnic Chinese.

Anyway, they have so called "silver hair" program for people who wish to retire there. You are entitled to own the land and house, unless it is in area allocated to Bumiputera. These are native sons and daughters - in this case Malay Muslims in peninsula and Kadazan/Dusun Christians on Borneo. You may import 1 car tax free or buy it in certain duty free areas such as Langkawi and Labuan islands. Langkawi is not very far from Phuket itself, totaly duty free - from cigarettes, alcohol beverages and food to vehicles, construction material etc...(wish Thais were smart and made Phuket duty free zone). Just about 90% of hotels on the island are 5 star luxury resorts, world class yacht marina, top class international airport, frequent ferry rides to Kedah and Penang. There are regular annual events such as LIMA - international aircraft show, bicycle race "Tour de Langkawi" and many many others....Security is top notch, crime is unheard of. Most of Malaysian government cabinet members own homes there, former PM Mahathir and his ex finance minister Daim Zainuddin own about half of the island. If you want peace and quite, fishing, yachting etc...Langkawi is the place. I took my parents there for holiday and they loved it. However, night life is almost non-existant but then again that is what certain generations prefer anyway.

On other hand, Labuan is more of industrial duty free zone. Offshore banking and companies and oil/gas explorations. They do have some fancy hotels though, Brunei is just stone throw away. Everything is cheap, few nice beaches but nothing spectacular.

The reason I choose Phuket was my age at the time, only 35 and have no regrets. But if you are over 50, long time happily married and looking for peace of mind in security of YOUR OWN HOME without fears of loosing it to some government regulations, Langkawi is the obvious choice.

A very informative post, thank you. I am impressed with the Islands now

Edited by TEFLMike

The worry for us brits about malaysia is we see it as largely a muslim country.

Before the flamers get excited I know that not all muslims are terrorists but the western media has engendered a feeling of mistrust and fear regarding islam.

How is it in Malaysia

The worry for us brits about malaysia is we see it as largely a muslim country.

Before the flamers get excited I know that not all muslims are terrorists but the western media has engendered a feeling of mistrust and fear regarding islam.

How is it in Malaysia

Nothing as you would expect it. Personaly I split Muslims in 2 categories: Arabs and non-Arabs. I am not looking to start debate on this issue but I think Arabs are pretty extreme.

Anyway, back on topic. Certain parts of Malaysia are ruled by opposition party called PAS. They have very extreme agenda, trying to promote Shariah Law in all levels of society etc...General population of Malaysia is very much against it. Most humble and friendly people I ever met originate from these states, namely Kedah, Kelantan and Terengganu. Treat them with respect and all racial, ideological or religious differences become imaterial. Number of times I spent days even weeks as their guest, they treated me as their own. The fact that I can speak fluent Malay helps a lot even though majority of them speaks good English. Of course there are John Waynes and Crocodile Dundees (read western plumbers, truck drivers, non-muslim religious fanatics and loudmouths) who come with complex of superiority just for being white and behave in disrespectful manner that makes you feel ashamed of being westerner.

I am not very proud to mention this but there was a time when I beat (with very good reason) local guy in front of 2 dozen people and nobody moved finger against me. If I did that in Thailand, you would be reading my obituary instead of this post lol....My point is, these are very peaceful people.

I love Thailand but am very concerned with the difficulties over property ownership and visa.

Why do you want to own property?

The last comment is the best but the rest have their value. I have been to all the others and found Thailand to be the best. But if you rent, you retain the flexibility to move around a little and of course avoid the trap of inevitably losing everything.

The last comment is the best but the rest have their value. I have been to all the others and found Thailand to be the best. But if you rent, you retain the flexibility to move around a little and of course avoid the trap of inevitably losing everything.

Another poor person with lots of flexibility and freeeeedom. How Exactly would one inevitably lose everything?

If (West) Peninsular Malaysia is as attractive a retirement place as some people have described it, Singaporeans would have moved there in large numbers. There is much more endemic problems than that meets the eye!

Fact: Singaporeans are single largest foreign based property investors in Malaysia. They own hundreds of thousands of houses and condos from Johor to KL and Penang.

RE: MY

About tax free car purchase , yes but one must purchase a Proton ( or whatever it's called) , Malaysian made.

I received the Malaysia My Second Home ( MMSH) visa last July, it requireda 300,000 Ringett fixed deposit, that's the about same as I have in T Land for the Investor Visa

I was among the last who were allowed to apply for it on my own with no fee. Now you have to pay an agent and it can costs $1-2 -3 thousands of USD $

The outfit in Penang with the # 1 certifiate and top search- rated web site really were high pressure, I'm very glad I didn't use them.

Next July I can take out 240,000 MYR to purchase property and from that time on keep 60,000 MYR in a fixed deposit.

Of course the Ringett is a P.o.S. currency

I would have left T Land 2 years ago but for the horses.. Incidentally I don't think it's any cheaper here when I'm constanty over charged.

I looked into flying horses out of Bangkok where I'd have to use an " Agent" who was going to charge me over twicew what MY Air cargo would charge out of Kuala Lumpur. So there may be a certain standard of business ethic due to European colonisation ....that is most definitely lacking in TLand

I'm just sick of the immaturity and for the most part, uneducated , bigoted citizenry .

( Of course that's why I left the USA too! )

When I was condsidering moving here, I read all the online stuff about how great it is , how easy to have a business or own property, etc., but I now realize that was all written by business people who benifitted from disinformation or men who either married Thais or enjoy a liberal sex paradise here. ( or both )

Yes it's beautiful , the weather is fantastic ( at least on the s west coasts..) but after almost 3 years in Phuket .

I really just think most Thais are just liars, through and through.

It seems to be OK, within in the culture- to cheat and lie.. And the way I'm stared at , rudely- constantly..." Farang, farang..."

So if that If that doesn' bother you...

Yeah, so I'm looking at Langkawi or Penang.

Though the Muslem factor migh be a consideration. But as s long as no one dictates to me to how to dress ..or who to fcuck

THough I did see in a Penang 4 star hotel a sign on the gym door forbidding muslim men from getting massages from females on threat of prosecution YIKES

I see where MY Airlines has put the flight attendents in ankle length skirts ( The female ones ) as an Fundy Islamic women's group was complaining about having to, " look at their knees."

( Jees, how can people be so stifled sexually and still breed?)

And the Univ of Iran is opening a major satellite college.....

Stock up on the head scarves??

Edited by HorseDoctor

Another poor person with lots of flexibility and freeeeedom. How Exactly would one inevitably lose everything?

The whole point of owning property for me is security for the future, I have some money now but it may be that I will not be so solvent in the future. Lets be clear here, many of the contributors to TV are no longer spring chickens (perhaps in their minds but not in reality) and I fall into this category. In recent years I have realised that not only am I not immortal but that there is an inevitable decline in health associated with age.

I simply want to try and do the best I can to secure my later years.

If (West) Peninsular Malaysia is as attractive a retirement place as some people have described it, Singaporeans would have moved there in large numbers. There is much more endemic problems than that meets the eye!

Why would singaporeans want to move anywhere?

How many singaporeans do you see on the web desperate to find another home?

Very few.

Yes, they do have second and holiday homes in Malaysia, this is bound to be when a short car journey through JB gets you into malaysia. Its no different than the brits and spain except that it is a lot easier for singaporeans to get to Malaysia.

Edited by benjamat

Cambodia has the easiest visas where you can get a 1 year business visa for $250 at any decent travel agent,which you can extend indefinitely,but outside of the tourist towns there is just bleak towns that look very neglected(fine if you like really quiet though or want to farm some land)& you realise just how poor the country is.So if you need some local comforts or entertainment you are really restricted to sihanoukville,siem reap,or kampot & kep(very quiet).I personally would not want to live in phnom penh.Ive heard the prices of everything (particurly building materials) has sky rocketed recently,& cambodia definitely has one price for farang,another for local.Renting a place can be more expensive than thailand.

At the moment in Laos you still only get the 1 month visa that you can extend every month at 2 usd a day (why they dont offer longer visas as an option i dont know..theres money to be made).

You are a little 'OFF' about the visa , you get a buisiness visa on arrival at the airport and then you can extend it at a travel agents for a full year at a cost of $260.00 , pay money up front , leave your passport and pick up usualy next day after 5pm .

There is nothing wrong with living in Phnom Penh , that has greatly improved over the last few years and many things are on the way up , it is also within 4/5 hours to visit other established towns/cities . You can now legally own property or a buisiness without involving a national , get citizenship (with a Cambodian passport) after 5 years , marry a Cambodian with no sin-sod and do not need to build a house for parents or support the extended family , but it gives pleasure when you raise their standard of living .

The cost of living has risen all over the world , but you can still rent in Cambodia for quite a reasonable price that is on average lower than the Thai rents/leases . Once you have lived here a while and learned the ropes , double pricing does not rear its ugly head and the police do not bother you , in fact i find them to be quite friendly and smiley , just like most of the population .

This is a poor country , so expect the obvious outside of PP and other towns .

I am a US citizen from USA. My wife from Thailand is a US citizen. The Thai people have no problem with Thai's marrying foreigners, in my opinion.

The way for my wife and I, or any US citizen, foreigner etc. to legally own property in Thailand is with a LLC, also known as a "Limited Liability Company". I own 48%, my wife owns 48% and her sister (or any other citizen for that matter) owns 2%. And I'm talking about private residences here. Commercial property, same.

Completely legal. Talk to a lawyer. There are many Thai lawyers here in Southern California. The Thai Consulate here in in the Los Angeles area told me other ways to do it too. PM me if interested.

Married 18 years, been there 8 times. We own land in the north.

You are a little 'OFF' about the visa , you get a buisiness visa on arrival at the airport and then you can extend it at a travel agents for a full year at a cost of $260.00 , pay money up front , leave your passport and pick up usualy next day after 5pm .

There is nothing wrong with living in Phnom Penh , that has greatly improved over the last few years and many things are on the way up , it is also within 4/5 hours to visit other established towns/cities . You can now legally own property or a buisiness without involving a national , get citizenship (with a Cambodian passport) after 5 years , marry a Cambodian with no sin-sod and do not need to build a house for parents or support the extended family , but it gives pleasure when you raise their standard of living .

The cost of living has risen all over the world , but you can still rent in Cambodia for quite a reasonable price that is on average lower than the Thai rents/leases . Once you have lived here a while and learned the ropes , double pricing does not rear its ugly head and the police do not bother you , in fact i find them to be quite friendly and smiley , just like most of the population .

Rent and particularly R/E are way out of proportion for a hard core 3rd world country. Sinsod and double pricing are the least likely reason to shift your base. Most people in LOS don't go into business either. Phnom Penh does not rate comparatively on any level to BKK and wont win a worlds best city poll in anyone's lifetime currently so what your left with is a bland city with a depressed people. The only saving grace for Cambodia is sihanoukville. Cambodia really is the end of the road...

Yes,i was just abit lazy not to say about the 1 month biz visa at the airport. :o

I do actually find it easier to talk to cambodian people about life in their country,which is possibly due to the lack of nationalism when compared to thailand.In thailand people always seem to be wary of farang.

I noticed (out of mainly curiosity) that as far as renting accomodation goes in Phnom penh everything seems to be around $200-$250 a month for a basic apartment (minimum),with 50 cents a unit for electric,which is not exactly expensive,but i would say very expensive for a 3rd world country such as cambodia,& if you pay monthly you could easily stay in a guesthouse for $6 a night for the same level.

Can you tell me of a relatively nice,quiet area of Phnom penh away from the hordes,as in general i would regard it as possibly the most unattractive city in SE Asia (which is no reflection on its people),if compared to luang prabang,vientienne,hanoi,bkk,but i'd like learn about any possible good areas on the outskirts that are easier on the senses?

I am a US citizen from USA. My wife from Thailand is a US citizen. The Thai people have no problem with Thai's marrying foreigners, in my opinion.

The way for my wife and I, or any US citizen, foreigner etc. to legally own property in Thailand is with a LLC, also known as a "Limited Liability Company". I own 48%, my wife owns 48% and her sister (or any other citizen for that matter) owns 2%. And I'm talking about private residences here. Commercial property, same.

Completely legal. Talk to a lawyer. There are many Thai lawyers here in Southern California. The Thai Consulate here in in the Los Angeles area told me other ways to do it too. PM me if interested.

48%+48%+2%= ?????

48%+48%+2%= ?????

.........and 2% for mother's sick buffalo.

• 4 weeks later...

Im mean, dont want to p--s money away renting.

RE: MY

About tax free car purchase , yes but one must purchase a Proton ( or whatever it's called) , Malaysian made.

I received the Malaysia My Second Home ( MMSH) visa last July, it requireda 300,000 Ringett fixed deposit, that's the about same as I have in T Land for the Investor Visa

I was among the last who were allowed to apply for it on my own with no fee. Now you have to pay an agent and it can costs $1-2 -3 thousands of USD $

The outfit in Penang with the # 1 certifiate and top search- rated web site really were high pressure, I'm very glad I didn't use them.

Next July I can take out 240,000 MYR to purchase property and from that time on keep 60,000 MYR in a fixed deposit.

Of course the Ringett is a P.o.S. currency

I would have left T Land 2 years ago but for the horses.. Incidentally I don't think it's any cheaper here when I'm constanty over charged.

I looked into flying horses out of Bangkok where I'd have to use an " Agent" who was going to charge me over twicew what MY Air cargo would charge out of Kuala Lumpur. So there may be a certain standard of business ethic due to European colonisation ....that is most definitely lacking in TLand

I'm just sick of the immaturity and for the most part, uneducated , bigoted citizenry .

( Of course that's why I left the USA too! )

When I was condsidering moving here, I read all the online stuff about how great it is , how easy to have a business or own property, etc., but I now realize that was all written by business people who benifitted from disinformation or men who either married Thais or enjoy a liberal sex paradise here. ( or both )

Yes it's beautiful , the weather is fantastic ( at least on the s west coasts..) but after almost 3 years in Phuket .

I really just think most Thais are just liars, through and through.

It seems to be OK, within in the culture- to cheat and lie.. And the way I'm stared at , rudely- constantly..." Farang, farang..."

So if that If that doesn' bother you...

Yeah, so I'm looking at Langkawi or Penang.

Though the Muslem factor migh be a consideration. But as s long as no one dictates to me to how to dress ..or who to fcuck

THough I did see in a Penang 4 star hotel a sign on the gym door forbidding muslim men from getting massages from females on threat of prosecution YIKES

I see where MY Airlines has put the flight attendents in ankle length skirts ( The female ones ) as an Fundy Islamic women's group was complaining about having to, " look at their knees."

( Jees, how can people be so stifled sexually and still breed?)

And the Univ of Iran is opening a major satellite college.....

Stock up on the head scarves??

You really are a very weird person.

Do you have any joy in your life, at all?

You really are a very weird person.

Do you have any joy in your life, at all?

Thus speaks the curmudgeon.....

Bendix, have you ever made a post on ThaiVisa that was not snide or condescending? :o

Snide and/or condescending reply awaited and expected.......