Help With Phrase In Thai

laphroaig

HI there

I wonder if someone could help me please. I speak very little Thai, certainly not enough to converse with a Thai who does not speak English.

I am coming to Thailand to tour on hired motorcycle. My worry is to leave certain items with someone such as helmet, maybe jacket etc when I find places of interest as the hired bikes have no secure lockable space. In my mind I am thinking of maybe food vendor in a car park of a place of interest as an example.

What I thought was to have a small card with a phrase written in Thai, which I cuold show the person I want to ask to look after my stuff.

I guess words something like "Would you please look after these items for me whilst I am away from my motorcycle. I will pay you for this service when I return to collect them"

Something along those lines would be really helpful

T

HI there

I wonder if someone could help me please. I speak very little Thai, certainly not enough to converse with a Thai who does not speak English.

I am coming to Thailand to tour on hired motorcycle. My worry is to leave certain items with someone such as helmet, maybe jacket etc when I find places of interest as the hired bikes have no secure lockable space. In my mind I am thinking of maybe food vendor in a car park of a place of interest as an example.

What I thought was to have a small card with a phrase written in Thai, which I cuold show the person I want to ask to look after my stuff.

I guess words something like "Would you please look after these items for me whilst I am away from my motorcycle. I will pay you for this service when I return to collect them"

Something along those lines would be really helpful

T

I would suggest that you might try "Kho Fark" which means roughly "can I leave with you" most vendors will be quite happy to do this for you and only a very few would expect any recompense in return. Haviing a meal at the vendor's place or just buying a beer or a coke will show your honest intent.

When are you coming? there are a number of motorcycle events ("Bike Weeks") coming up over the imminent cooler period and you would get a good insight into the scene and meet lots of great folks too. Google Chiang Mai Bike Week and take a look at the calendar of events there or PM me

AjarnP :o

Edited by AjarnP

I would suggest that you might try "Kho Fark" which means roughly "can I leave with you" most vendors will be quite happy to do this for you and only a very few would expect any recompense in return. Haviing a meal at the vendor's place or just buying a beer or a coke will show your honest intent.

When are you coming? there are a number of motorcycle events ("Bike Weeks") coming up over the imminent cooler period and you would get a good insight into the scene and meet lots of great folks too. Google Chiang Mai Bike Week and take a look at the calendar of events there or PM me

AjarnP :o

Thank you very much, this is appreciated. Much simpler too

I will not be there until early next year but love the planning.

T

Kho Fark

Remember that the 'r' in the second word is not pronounced. If you're North American, Scottish, Irish or speak some other dialect or language that would pronounce the 'r' sound, don't do it in this word, it is just there to prolong the 'a' sound. An alternative way of transcribing it would be 'faak' or 'fahk'.

I think that written Thai word is better than having to pronounce it, especially for a total stranger, who knows nothing about Thai language.

Even a foreigner, who has been 17 years in Thailand and has Thai wife (and children), he can still make mistake with pronunciation.

If you want to write Kho Fark, as suggested by meadish, you can write: ขอฝาก

Just copy the Thai characters into MS Word or Open Office Text and print it on a thick paper.

A more polite sentence would be: Kho Fahk Noi Khrap (ขอฝากหน่อยครับ) May I leave it for a little time, please.