Farangs Making Money In Thailand?

AdventureAsia

Have you ever considered seeing a counsellor for your obvious insecurities? Do you always try to impress people to gain their attention? Do you feel the need to explain your life to the world?

Hello!

What's ur way of making money on Thailand?

I just wanna know what people do down here for a living :o

Personally i am in the import/export business with countries in Europe which earns me about 100k to 120k baht a month. SOmething i am very happy with :-)

I am sure there are tons of people making more money than me here and some make less, so you don't have to say how much u earn unless u want too. The main thing i wanna know is what u guys do for a living?

Before this import/expoert business i was into web marketing and websites which was a very bad business for me :/

Thanks for some of the answers :D

Before this i survived on 20k baht a month but it was horrible. I would say50-60k baht a month i a minimum if you plan on living little bit good.

Personally i earn 100-120k a month which is very okay for me since i pay rent 7k baht a month and rest i can use for whatever i want. I never go out and party or drink either so i mostly spend my cash shopping.

The reason i ask is because on an average day i work around 45-60 minutes and the rest of the day i just do what i want, simply because that's all my job requires. So i am looking for more stuff to do and more ways or earning money. I mostly use all my cash each month for bullshit stuff and my studio is full of crap. Like i bought a copy machine... but i never used it..

I however plan to stop buying all this crap and blowing away my cash in the brand name shops on Paragorn or whatever its called. Now i plan to save up money and invest in property or stocks.

I do however think that the property market here is "bad" but am not sure, i would rather invest in some property in France, Italy or Spain but we will see :D

Edit: and for those who remember me from 1 year ago, its still me i just fixed my life quite a bit :D If u think and thought i trolled than thats up to u as the thai people like to say (which i think is really annoying)

I don't think that you are a troll. I do think you need help.

Have you ever considered seeing a counsellor for your obvious insecurities? Do you always try to impress people to gain their attention? Do you feel the need to explain your life to the world?
Hello!

I just wanna know what people do down here for a living :D

Personally i am in the import/export business with countries in Europe which earns me about 100k to 120k baht a month. SOmething i am very happy with :-)

I am sure there are tons of people making more money than me here and some make less, so you don't have to say how much u earn unless u want too. The main thing i wanna know is what u guys do for a living?

Before this import/expoert business i was into web marketing and websites which was a very bad business for me :/

Thanks for some of the answers :D

Before this i survived on 20k baht a month but it was horrible. I would say50-60k baht a month i a minimum if you plan on living little bit good.

Personally i earn 100-120k a month which is very okay for me since i pay rent 7k baht a month and rest i can use for whatever i want. I never go out and party or drink either so i mostly spend my cash shopping.

The reason i ask is because on an average day i work around 45-60 minutes and the rest of the day i just do what i want, simply because that's all my job requires. So i am looking for more stuff to do and more ways or earning money. I mostly use all my cash each month for bullshit stuff and my studio is full of crap. Like i bought a copy machine... but i never used it..

I however plan to stop buying all this crap and blowing away my cash in the brand name shops on Paragorn or whatever its called. Now i plan to save up money and invest in property or stocks.

I do however think that the property market here is "bad" but am not sure, i would rather invest in some property in France, Italy or Spain but we will see :D

Edit: and for those who remember me from 1 year ago, its still me i just fixed my life quite a bit :D If u think and thought i trolled than thats up to u as the thai people like to say (which i think is really annoying)

I don't think that you are a troll. I do think you need help.

yeah i kinda do :o

35,000 is a horrible way to live in Thailand, certainly. One is always broke and gets to have only a very few girls. But, nevertheless, that is what teachers make, and for most it is better than what they would have in their homelands.

Decrying the standard of living of the working class is all very well and good, but surely we all know most people experience economic misery every day.

There was a time when I survived on 20,000 or so baht a month and it sucked. It was my friends and the shear will not to go back to the States a failure that kept me here to stick it through. Today, my mortgage is more than 120K and trust me its a BIG BIG difference at this level. Though it's much more secure it's kinda lonely. I mean, ok ya wanna go out with your friends, you have to make sure they are at your level or else you won't wanna talk about whats going on in your life for fear of alienating them or being hit up for a loan.

Edited by Huey

Of course, Thailand is full of farangs making money: Teachers, and we make around 30,000-35,000 baht per month. Let me tell you, that isn't so cheerful.

i really am not being rude ,but how the heck can anybody survive on 35k a month ?

Easy...25 baht per day for food, mama noodles, 5 baht a pack, 100 baht per night share dorm, remainder for sex.

Clothes from accident victims at Wat

35,000 is a horrible way to live in Thailand, certainly.

Last year I was living in Bangkok comfortably on 24,000 baht a month.

Its easy, 10K for studio all included with aircon. Visa runs average 3K. 11K for food clothes, entertainment, miscellaneous. You could do better for rent but I need a nice apartment with good aircon.

I don't drink or smoke. I ate great Thai food everyday, its the western food which kills your budget. I shopped at Thai markets for clothes and things.

I wasn't miserable either, I was having a great time.

yes, many foreigners working in thailand 100% legally will pay in tax in a month alone what you claim to gross.

Some months I have more than this on my expense sheet alone.... :o .....k120/m salary is peanuts...

120K? Ha! Keep that in my petty cash drawer for staff coffee & tea breaks. :D

The poor lad is delusional, obviously no grip on reality, I would suggest he starts talking his medication again, if he is not on medication, he needs to be..."invest in property or stocks" in this current economic climate... :o

TROLL...TROLL

The poor lad is delusional, obviously no grip on reality, I would suggest he starts talking his medication again, if he is not on medication, he needs to be..."invest in property or stocks" in this current economic climate... :o

TROLL...TROLL

Agreed, he is clearly delusional.

The problem with the type of medication that he requires, is that it would take a sizeable chunk out of his budget, so it's probably better for him to live with his delusions, rather than the reality.

For crying out loud!

The man asked a perfectly innocent and moral question!

Why the heck do most users of this forum take such pleasure in ganging up on good guys like this?

Honestly, if you cannot answer the question concerned or have nothing worthwhile to contribute, for heaven's sake, don't overflow this forum with your garbage!

Hello!

I just wanna know what people do down here for a living :o

I work in the Oil Industry away from Thailand month West Africa Month home so 6 months Phuket Six months working I get paid $250,000+(8 1/2 Million Bhat) a year no tax have everything 5 bed villa pool 4 x4 Double Cab Sea View 64" TV Air-Con everyroom go fishing play golf eat great food have 2 passports and only come back a month at a time so no Visa problems.

1 downside

I have to work to have this great lifestyle.

Theres an answer to your question

Edited by McFarang

i really am not being rude ,but how the heck can anybody survive on 35k a month ?

No, you are being ignorant.

I don't think he is, It was merely a question and is one that I also ponder from time to time. I can understand 4 years ago but now is a slightly different story. Rental prices are much higher around the centre and who wants to live in the sticks ???? Hardly living the dream would you not agree ?

I do not understand what he is being ignorant about ? not knowing how to survive on 35 000 in Thailand ? surely if thaimate makes more he must have some sort of a rough idea.

I think he/she meant to say arrogant rather than ignorant.

I teach math and physics. I work for a private Thai school in BKK. At the school I am earning about 80k, but make another 20k on private lessons. Life is pretty good. It isn't luxurious, but the wife and I are quite comfortable. It's nice to have a job that provides 2.5 months holiday every year.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

TROLL...TROLL

Now is the time to start investing in property and stocks if you aren't already. When the markets are as depressed as they are now, you should be buying but buying with caution and knowledge.

Martian

Hello, maybe you heard my story on this forum and i would just like to say tha i am not a troll.

Anyway my questions is "Do i need to show my passport and proof of visa to be able to rent a house or a apartment in Bangkok"?

Now i live on the street and with a strange thai family that i really don't find enjoyable. I need a place to live, i got money for it but i dont have Visa here in Thailand. I see they got a aprtment section on this site with many cheap rooms, would i need to show visa to be able to rent them? I just want a okay place to live, am really tired now. I earn about 25k baht a month from online business so i want a place for like 5-10k a month if that is possible. Anyone have any tips or something please tell me :o By the way am just 20 years old.

That's a pretty amazing turn around, "living on the street" just 6 months ago! Good for you.

Its very easy to live on 35thou a month if you don't insist on living in a luxury condo in bangkok.

I live out in the 'sticks' (1hr from bangkok) and i like it very much, every one is different.

I like being able to travel on my own motorcycle, get to work and other places quickly and easily.. but as i say thats just me.

and i save money each month as well. its very easy if you try!

and for those that say i dont have anything. i have 2 motorbikes (cbr250&150).tv .fridge bedroom furniture.computer etc all payed for with this 35thou a month.

i eat out most nights,drink beer and have fun!

regards Allan

works for me

Its very easy to live on 35thou a month if you don't insist on living in a luxury condo in bangkok.

I live out in the 'sticks' (1hr from bangkok) and i like it very much, every one is different.

I like being able to travel on my own motorcycle, get to work and other places quickly and easily.. but as i say thats just me.

and for those that say i dont have anything. i have 2 motorbikes (cbr250&150).tv .fridge bedroom furniture.computer etc all payed for with this 35thou a month.

regards Allan

My friend, you have a tv a fridge AND bedroom furniture? What, like, altogether? You actually own them? Oh, the opulence!

You are a king among men, indeed.

Are

regards Allan

My friend, you have a tv a fridge AND bedroom furniture? What, like, altogether? You actually own them? Oh, the opulence!

You are a king among men, indeed.

Are

I actually saw nothing wrong with his post.  Based on the original question posed by the OP, he stated that he lives comfortably on 35k per month. I don't think I could live on that amount, but it is interesting to note that it can be done.

"i don't know how anyone can live on 35k a month"

um, don't like tens of millions of Thais live on 5k baht a month?

i think it'd be better to just say "I HAVE MORE MONEY THAN YOU" since that is what you are clearly driving at. Asking how can people live on 35k is clearly a rhetorical question.

i am a snob myself though and i cringe when people mention buying clothing from a thai market.

regards Allan

Allan,

I admire your ability to do that and save money at the same time. It would, however, be difficult for me. Just my wardrobe costs and the drinks I am expected to buy (and not be reimbursed for!) would take a nice chunk out of such a budget.

I think it is safe to say that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to be a professional in Bangkok and live on that kind of budget, choice of housing and location aside. That seems where the disconnect comes in for many.

It also seems to me that costs (not just housing) have been going up the last few years. My salary has well outpaced inflation in Thailand, but I definitely feel the price difference these days. Living on such a salary seems a big stretch to me.

Did you get your position once you move to BKK, or did you relocate for the job?

TROLL...TROLL

To be fair, one is supposed to buy low and sell high... Stocks are pretty low these days.

I pay my ( Thai ) gardener 6,000 a month, he set his own wage. He supports his wife and son ( the wife cannot work as she takes care of the boy ).

They don't have overseas holidays and lots of luxuries but he still has his whiskey and his smokes and they manage quite well.

I should imagine that if he ever saw 35,000 Baht in one month the shock would be too much for him.