Motorbike Stolen In Bangkok...

jeebusjones

I moved to Taiwan last December after more than three years of living in Bangkok. I wasn't sure how long I'd be staying in Taiwan, so I left my new Honda Wave with a friend of mine who lived in the same building as me in Bangkok. He had no need for it, but periodically checked on it in the parking garage and turned on the motor once in a while to prevent any damage.

Apparently, a few days ago he went down to check on it and it was gone. He asked around in the office of the building but no one seemed to know anything about it. Now, if it has been stolen I highly suspect the security guards had something to do with it. The building has 24 hour security, including booths at the entrance and exit to the building and security cameras throughout -- including the parking garage.

But I'm wondering, what can be done about it? I assume I should file a police report, but can that be done from abroad? I may be returning to Thailand in December, but that is not certain yet. To complicate things, I'm still making monthly payments on the bike! I have about $12,000 left to pay, and it would be pretty terrible if I had to pay it for nothing. I had insurance on it, but I forgot to extend the insurance for 2008 before I left Thailand last year.

Is there anything that can be done? Any chance I'll see the bike again? Thanks in advance for any replies.

I moved to Taiwan last December after more than three years of living in Bangkok. I wasn't sure how long I'd be staying in Taiwan, so I left my new Honda Wave with a friend of mine who lived in the same building as me in Bangkok. He had no need for it, but periodically checked on it in the parking garage and turned on the motor once in a while to prevent any damage.

Apparently, a few days ago he went down to check on it and it was gone. He asked around in the office of the building but no one seemed to know anything about it. Now, if it has been stolen I highly suspect the security guards had something to do with it. The building has 24 hour security, including booths at the entrance and exit to the building and security cameras throughout -- including the parking garage.

But I'm wondering, what can be done about it? I assume I should file a police report, but can that be done from abroad? I may be returning to Thailand in December, but that is not certain yet. To complicate things, I'm still making monthly payments on the bike! I have about $12,000 left to pay, and it would be pretty terrible if I had to pay it for nothing. I had insurance on it, but I forgot to extend the insurance for 2008 before I left Thailand last year.

Is there anything that can be done? Any chance I'll see the bike again? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Wouldnt have thought so, think you may well kiss the bike good by, seeing as you dont have any insurance, going to have to cough up for the remaining monthly payments....You can get your friend to report it to the BiB as least get a case number...

Actually, it turns out my insurance is still valid. However, to receive anything from the insurance company I'd need to return to Bangkok, fill out a police report and have the insurance company come to my old apartment building to see where the bike had been stored/stolen. I may be able to get 25k baht out of it, but the flight would eat up half of that and then the remainder would just go to paying off the rest of the bike.

Is it possible for someone else to fill out the police report? Say, my girlfriend's mother, since it's in my girlfriend's name? I really don't want to have to fly back to Bangkok just to break even.

I have about $12,000 left to pay

Thats one hel_l of an expensive Honda Wave :o

The total price was around 36,000 baht. Isn't that the normal price?

I think that he was referring to the $ symbol. :D

Oh, crap. I'm so used to referring to things in Taiwan Dollars now, which is basically at parity with the Thai Baht.

If your girlfriend is here, she should go in and file the report--it's in her name. If not, then her mother. If the police are hesitant, you might want to contact the Thai Embassy in Taiwan and find out if they can assist. Someone here might be able to call the Tourist police here who might be able to tell you what the proper course of action is for someone who is the victim of a crime but not here.

Best of luck to you.

who is the sig to the insurance?

they would have to make the report, i would think

then making arrangements in another style may work better $

The insurance is in my girlfriend's name, who is in Taiwan with me. Is there a Thai concept of "power of attorney"? Couldn't my girlfriend give authority to her mother to take care of all the paperwork in Thailand?