Good Bar To Watch Football In Bkk

StevieH

Not sure which ones will be open and serving alcohol.

From past experience Soi 8 has always been open during all of closures over the past year or so. So that would be a good bet.

Not sure about the others, but I'm going to pop out for a beer this afternoon, so will try and get an update.

BTW, there is a new Sports bar between Suk 27 and 29, just past the Crown Hotel, it's called The Penalty Spot. Big place with lots of screens, although I'm not sure what it will be like regarding commentary for games etc, as they had a band in there on Wenesday night. It also appears to be tied in with Tilac bar, so there are plenty of 'hostesses' to take care. :o

cheers mrtoad for the advice on soi 8, went to a bar there on saturday night think they called it det5 and got a beer and the footy, on sunday night i watched the liverpool-city game in the "sports bar" on soi 20, good atmosphere and reasonable prices. they had 3 other games on 3 little screens and the city game on a big screen. all in all an enjoyable weekend in the big city. back down on 3 weeks :D

Two friends of mine on separate visits to The Penalty Spot between Suk 29-31 have both come away with bad impressions of this place. The emphasis is on hassle from the girls to buy them drinks. This is not want you want from a pub or a "sports bar". The manager was also less than respectful and tried to get them to buy girl drinks. My mates had a better idea - they paid their bills and left!

This was not just a one off - it happened to two sets of people on separate occasions.

A friend of a friend mentioned this to one of the owners. His reaction was not what you would expect either. I don't know the context of the conversation but the owners attitude was if you don't like the bar then *&&* off!

So, although I was interested in giving this place a try I will now not bother. My friends are sensible expats & I trust their opinions.

p.s. there are very few true sports bars in bangkok. A lot of them will show all the games with commentary off. Others will turn the game off at HT & FT & put the music on. The Aussie bar on suk soi 23 tries to give you the game + commentary + feedback. If it is an obscure game that no one else wants to watch he will try & find you your own tele in a corner somewhere. Only problem is the bar is not well set out (shophouse) so privacy is difficult if you want to listen to your own game.

Agree with this, very few "proper" sports bars in Bangkok. Not been to this place but have been to the Office before, again, girls strolling about, I don't mind, I won't partake and they don't hassle you but it's not really a "sports" type environment.

Other places turn commentary off does my head in too.

What about those midweek games, are the bars even open for those in Bkk these days ? Regarding KSR though, that D&D Inn is usually open 24 hours a day and shows games, usually have commentary on too if you're in that neck of the woods

Any word on the official MUFC Bar yet? Wasn't it initially supposed to be opened this Oct/Nov?

The only word I saw was a classified add in the BK Post career section advertising for positions at the bar / restaurant for November.

If you are familiar with the Grand President, it is right next door towards Bed Supperclub.

I know the Aussie bar you are talking about

last time I was there I had to watch the Rugby with the aussies for a while :D

was later then given the entire upstairs to watch Arsenal...my very own private space :D

plus a certain someone I know had some shoe incident around there that same evening :o

This is the bar for your dad he will like it and no girl hassels but only bottle beer but the foods great there too and good screens 3 floors and if you want private they will do for you.

The want and value your business not like some of the others mentioned here good luck

Soi 23 for me :D

Beware of The Penalty Spot.

Went in last night for a couple of beers with some friends. First order was incorecct, but no problem, these things happen. Had several drinks, and then one of my friends checked bill as he was leaving. Decided to stay for a couple more, and when I checked bill again, they tried to load the previous bill onto the second. I pointed this out and was generally given a bit of abuse from one of the staff, who impolitely told me "you pay, you drink". Manager eventually came over, and the issue was resolved after some debate, but it was quite clear from the reaction that this may be a frequent scam.

Anyway, they've lost a customer, and judging on several other comments that I have heard on here, and also through people that I know this bar is starting to get a reputation. I for one will certainly not be going back.

Robin Hood - big many screens showing diffferent games

Bulls head - smaller pub, but nice

GUlliver's - crazily big, practically all sorts of games on different screens of varying sizes

Soi 8 - regular hangout of the TV footie boys. but may have to compete with if any rugby games on

i was talking Gullivers in Sukhumvit, not Gullivers in KhaoSarn

the one in KSR, you can only watch but not listen to commentaries.

all the bars I mentioned are in Sukhumvit area.

Robin Hood and Bull's head - Suk soi 33/1 (across from Emporium)

GUllivers - Sukhumvit Soi 5

Soi 8 - in Sukhumvit Soi 8 :D

by the way....pranakorn is my neighbourhood :D and I cant think of any bar I would go to to watch footie...not with your Dad and brother I dont think. theres some bars in KSR that show the games on big screens with commentaries and such, but the crowd just doesnt feel right?

ADD: haha @ mr jangles comment above. very true I must agree :D

Silom area:

Irish Xchange - not sure if they have changed their name again though...they seem to do that about once a year :D but its in Soi Convent off Silom Road

oh gee, my memory is already starting to fail me....whats the one on corner of Thaniya called? O Reilly's?

I know the Aussie bar you are talking about

It is called O'Reillys Miggy, but with that list above, you will be getting yourself a reputation :o

Good Luck

Moss

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Agree with this, very few "proper" sports bars in Bangkok. Not been to this place but have been to the Office before, again, girls strolling about, I don't mind, I won't partake and they don't hassle you but it's not really a "sports" type environment.

I couldnt find anywhere in lower Sukhumvit to watch Newcastle v Stoke so i looked on ThaiVisa and saw "The Office" may have it.

Heineken 150BHT, girls dancing on the tables these 2 i can take, but i got hassled by 3 diffferent girls whilst watching only the 2nd half when i was obvioulsy blanking them why the <deleted> would i want to speak to a woman when the footballs on??????, in fact there arent too many reasons why id want to speak to a woman fullstop (and im not a puff or a ladyboy lover)....if you support a shyt team thats not in the main 3 games in Gullivers then this place will have it, otherwise avoid like the plague......and [deleted].

you are welcome to your views about football and whatever team you support, but if you think you can come on here and insult women, think again.

part of post above has been deleted.

Been reading the posts - thanks for all the recommendations. Here's my 2p worth:

Tried the Londoner 10 mins before the City v Utd match last weekend. No atmosphere at all! Just customers sitting down having dinner... Thought "sod it" and went back to a place I'd seen on the way there called "The Penalty Spot". "Great", I thought! Big football sign outside - got to be a proper sports bar, right? Wrong! Ended up upstairs straining to hear the commentary over the thumping music coming from a bloke with a glorified karaoke machine and a guitar giving it stacks downstairs. The manager was nice enough, but explained that he didn't "have the technology to put the football commentary through the speakers", so ended up trying to hear the sound off the tiinny telly speakers. Not too impressive. If I'd wanted that, I could have stayed home! Also, just FYI, the menus say Bht130 for a Heineken bottle, but the bill said 140. Pointed it out and was told "The menu's wrong"! )I know, but "It's nae the principle, it's the money!") Anyway, why open a football themed pub, call it the "Penalty Spot", and then not have the football commentary on? Great business plan that...

Reckon I'll give Soi 8 a go. Have been there for the rugby, but not for the football. If the games clash, I expect the rugby takes priority?

This weekend I watched the game at a pub in the northern suburbs. A place called "The Breeze" down Chaengwattana Soi 26. Nice place, but hardly ever anyone in, unfortunatley.

Any other recommendations as to where to try?

Cheers!

Been reading the posts - thanks for all the recommendations. Here's my 2p worth:

Tried the Londoner 10 mins before the City v Utd match last weekend. No atmosphere at all! Just customers sitting down having dinner... Thought "sod it" and went back to a place I'd seen on the way there called "The Penalty Spot". "Great", I thought! Big football sign outside - got to be a proper sports bar, right? Wrong! Ended up upstairs straining to hear the commentary over the thumping music coming from a bloke with a glorified karaoke machine and a guitar giving it stacks downstairs. The manager was nice enough, but explained that he didn't "have the technology to put the football commentary through the speakers", so ended up trying to hear the sound off the tiinny telly speakers. Not too impressive. If I'd wanted that, I could have stayed home! Also, just FYI, the menus say Bht130 for a Heineken bottle, but the bill said 140. Pointed it out and was told "The menu's wrong"! )I know, but "It's nae the principle, it's the money!") Anyway, why open a football themed pub, call it the "Penalty Spot", and then not have the football commentary on? Great business plan that...

Reckon I'll give Soi 8 a go. Have been there for the rugby, but not for the football. If the games clash, I expect the rugby takes priority?

This weekend I watched the game at a pub in the northern suburbs. A place called "The Breeze" down Chaengwattana Soi 26. Nice place, but hardly ever anyone in, unfortunatley.

Any other recommendations as to where to try?

Cheers!

Soi 8 is fine for football, as long as it doesn't clash with Rugby. Good food, good selection of beers and normally a fairly busy place.

A few of us from the footie either use Soi 8 or The Crossbar for our Saturday or Sunday evenings., because these places do have the commentary, and they show more than one game. The other good thing is that these places are proper bars, without any hassle from bargirls or freelancers and generally a good mixture of people. They also serve good food.

Penalty Spot is a total no,no. I've had the misfortune of tha place padding my bill, and I know of a number of other people who have pretty much said the same thing. It's not really a sports bar, but just a spill over from a Soi Cowboy Go-Go bar with a different theme.

Gullivers is OK, I suppose it's a bit like Marmite, you love it or hate it. I find it too, too many freelancers and crap service and rather to impersonal. Other than that the food is not bad, and they do have a lot of screens.

Londoner is a another <deleted> place, very little atmosphere, however during World Cups and Euro's when England are playing it is normally packed to the rafters and can be good.

In the end there are so many places to choose, and you will eventuallly find a couple of places that you will frequent for football.

• 1 year later...
Mike, not sure if you're aware of it or not buy Gullivers on Soi 5, for me, is by far the best place to watch Football in BKK...

I used to think the same but with all the Nigerian undesireables in there these days i refuse to go near it, so as this thread is 18 months since a last update .... where are the best bar for footy in BKK these days as im quite looking forward to the Manu Chelsea game.