Eva Air Baggage Allowance.

ishmael

Dear Sirs,

I shall be flying to Bangkok from London Heathrow on Eva Air stretched/enhanced economy (poor man's business class).

The checked-in allowance is officially 25kg. Assuming that the aeroplane is not unduly loaded with air freight, what is the maximum I can get away with?

For example, when one fly's economy class, the allowance is 20kg but one may usually be allowed up to 25kg. If stretched economy has an official maximum of 25kg, do they normally allow up to 30kg?

I contacted Eva Air and for the official allowance they of course gave me the official answer;-25kg.

Another question gentlemen if I may. What is the maximum weight for carry-on luggage please?, and may one carry a laptop in addition to this?

If anyone has any recent experience to answer my questions I shall be most obliged. Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to read this and thank you now for any helpful replies I may receive.

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

From the EVA website:

Hand-carry baggage

Hand-carry baggage is permitted in the aircraft cabin only if it is safely stowed in the closed overhead bin, closet or under your seat. Every passenger is allowed one hand-carry baggage weighing 7 kg/15 lb. or less and no more than 23 cm x 36 cm x 56 cm in dimension or 115 cm/45 in. overall. However, this maximum dimension is subject to aircraft type. For your convenience, a measurement Test Unit is available at either the check-in counter or boarding lounge to help you to determine whether your baggage meets these requirements. If the hand-carry baggage is overweight or oversized, it will be checked and carried in the cargo hold or refused carriage.

Please note that:

1. Hand-carry baggage stowed under passenger seat is fitted in means to prevent it from sliding sideward or forward into the aisle.

2. Hand-carry baggage does not obstruct passenger movement to, from, or accross the aisle.

3. Hand-carry baggage sotwed in overhead bins fit securely, and flight attendants can close the bins without using force.

4. Little or no chance for hand-carry baggage and other articles falling out of overhead bins when bins doors are opened.

Free carry-on items

In addition to the hand-carry baggage, every passenger may carry, without additional charge, the following free carry-on items:

1. One piece of laptop or purse or small backpack or briefcase or camera case.

2. Reasonable quantity of coat, hat, scarf, shopping bag, food, drink and other personal belongings.

Above items should be safely stowed in the closed overhead bin, closet or under your seat. If you put your free carry-on item in the seat pocket, it should be within the vertical line from the seat back and under no circumstances can it protract into the aisle.

Dear Sirs,

I shall be flying to Bangkok from London Heathrow on Eva Air stretched/enhanced economy (poor man's business class).

The checked-in allowance is officially 25kg. Assuming that the aeroplane is not unduly loaded with air freight, what is the maximum I can get away with?

For example, when one fly's economy class, the allowance is 20kg but one may usually be allowed up to 25kg. If stretched economy has an official maximum of 25kg, do they normally allow up to 30kg?

I contacted Eva Air and for the official allowance they of course gave me the official answer;-25kg.

Another question gentlemen if I may. What is the maximum weight for carry-on luggage please?, and may one carry a laptop in addition to this?

If anyone has any recent experience to answer my questions I shall be most obliged. Thank you all for taking the time and trouble to read this and thank you now for any helpful replies I may receive.

Yours faithfully,

ishmael.

A charge of £37 per Kilo over

7 kg? seems like that was what British Airways was limiting carryon to. I only use a carry on when going to Thailand. After many trips, no problems, several with EVA and China Air Lines and Korean Air lines, no luggage wait lines etc. However, I am sure my bag weighs a bit over 7 kg. I carry so little that the counter personnel and arriving customs always ask me "is that all" for 30 days? I politiely tell them there are very nice laundries on many of the side streets of Pattaya and some of the girls are quite pleasant to chat with. I don't need to bring a change of clothes for each of the 30 days I am there! Four or five days worth of shirts/undies and my bathing suit and Pattaya suits me fine.

Once the Customs guy in Dallas took exception to me and actually searched my carry on! They must have been bored as they searched almost nobody else.

It is officially called "Evergreen Class" and actually from what I've seen of it as I go to Premium Laurel, it looks to be about the size of the old business class, and a little bigger than Philippine Airlines "Mabuhay Class" Thank God I stopped flying with those jag offs..

I have never had my carry-on weighed, and it is the maximum dimension allowed. I have weighed it myself (I bought a portable scale from the travel store after the airlines started to get so stupid about luggage) and it weighs in usually 12-15 Kg. I just make sure to stow it myself.

EVA is a good choice IMHO.

EVA posts their luggage limits, as cited above, on their web site, with the limits varying a bit depending on what class ticket you have.

The other variable, however, is if you belong to their Evergreen Club in one of the higher levels, gold and platinum for sure, maybe even silver. If you do based on frequent flying, they also give you an extra allowance of one additional checked bag per trans-Pacific flight.

So, for regular or deluxe economy, normally you get two checked bags, plus one carry-on bag, plus a laptop if you have one. If you qualify under the Evergreen Club, then you get an extra checked bag for a total of three.

In many years of flying EVA, I've never seen them weigh a carry on bag. Many EVA gates have little metal stands that are supposed to show the maximum size for carry on bags, based on whether your bag will fit into the stand. But likewise, passengers regularly carry bags well exceeding that size, and I've never seen them challenge it -- provided your carry-on can still fit into the overhead bins.

Just checked in for flight to BKK - Premium Laurel at Heathrow (sat 4th Oct). The allowance for this ticket has been reduced from 35 kg to 30 kg. That coupled with my silver card gave me 40 kg. I was just one kg over so no problem. I have my laptop and a bag with about 7kg in it. She just looked at the size of the carry on bag and did not weigh it. Just said that looks fine. For the first time though they actually looked up on their chart the amount I am allowed for baggage - especially the silver card - they have never bothered before. Hope you have a good flight - I intend to sleep as much as I can. (Its a real perk being able to use this courtesy lounge - just had a shower - great - good old Eva Air!).

• 10 years later...