Chiang Mai To Become Aviation Hub Within 3 Years

george

Chiang Mai to become aviation hub within 3 years

BANGKOK: -- The government is to accelerate plans to ensure that Chiang Mai becomes transformed into a fully-fledged regional aviation centre within the next three years, Deputy Transport Minister Vichet Kasemthongsri announced today.

Speaking after a meeting of the committee responsible for the northern city’s aviation hub plans, Mr. Vichet said that the project was making good progress, and that the city’s transformation would be complete by 2007.

Attending today’s meeting were representatives from the Department of Aviation Transport, the Chiang Mai provincial authorities, the Airports Authority of Thailand, the Thai Hotel Association, the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Thai Airways International and the Immigration Police Bureau.

The Department of Aviation Transport is currently negotiating with several international airlines to liberalize scheduled aviation routes in and out of the city, and is also offering unlimited access for international charter flights. Equally, all domestic airlines now enjoy unlimited access to Chiang Mai’s airport.

Meanwhile the Airports Authority of Thailand has pledged to offer reduced landing fees and other charges, and has expanded the airport’s international passenger terminal. Eventually this will be replaced by a new international terminal, while the existing building will be transformed into a passenger terminal for domestic flights. Also being expanded are runways, car parks and cargo warehouses.

On the ground, the Office of Transportation and Traffic Policy and Planning has hired Chiang Mai University to draw up a transportation master plan for the province’s transformation into a regional logistics and transportation hub.

The aim will be to ensure that transportation arrangements respond to the development of the city and its industries, both in the present and in the future.

In the city, companies are rushing to invest in the construction of five-star hotels, an international convention centre and the Chiang Mai Night Safari, while educational institutions are promoting information and communications technology (ICT) courses in response to the city’s bid to become one of the country’s major ICT cities.

The city also aims to become a regional medical hub, with revenue from healthcare expected to leap from Bt2.43 billion this year to Bt5 billion by 2007.

Chiang Mai’s potential as a tourism destination will be showcased at the Chiang Mai & North Travel Show next week, when local tourism companies will be able to present their products to buyers from around the world.

The government has already designated 2007 as ‘Visit Chiang Mai Year’, and hopes to be able to boost the number of tourists visiting the city from 2 million to 3 million.

--TNA 2004-11-28

IMO, They should have done that a while ago. Not to have the country with the second largest city with only 2% of BKK population.

I can't say that I am eagerly awaiting the transformation of Chiang Mai into Bangkok North. Had I wanted to live in Bangkok, I would have moved to Bangkok. :o

As far as being the aviation hub is concerned, you have to wonder how much THAI is even on-board with that idea. After all the grandiose aviation hub plans were announced, the first new route that THAI added, trumpeting at that time that it would help would help enable Chiang Mai to reach this lofty goal, was the ever-popular Chiang Mai-Chittagong (Bangladesh) flight.

IMO, They should have done that a while ago. Not to have the country with the second largest city with only 2% of BKK population.

I can't say that I am eagerly awaiting the transformation of Chiang Mai into Bangkok North. Had I wanted to live in Bangkok, I would have moved to Bangkok. :o

Only one large city in the country - typical for the undeveloped world. Could be too late now, the time was right decades ago.

.... the ever-popular Chiang Mai-Chittagong (Bangladesh) flight.

Perhaps Toxin has some business interests there? Oh, no! Silly idea - he has "Airforce One" now. :o

If not Mr Big himself, I'm sure some of his business cronies have interests there that need to be served.