Liver Condition - I Would Like To Hear From Others

philo

you are an intelligent guy..it comes through..you can do what livinginexile did. I know you can, and so do you. They are starting to say that addiction is a choice, as opposed to a disease. I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. If you want your liver to get better ( and you do!) follow livinginexile's example. He will support you and so will many of us.God Bless You. On your mark..get set........GO

I have recently stoped drinking. One of the health problems I had was a very sore and extended liver, even my eyes were going a shade of yellow.

Now I have stoped drinking my liver feels a lot better and my eyes are clearing a little.

I am really shit scared to get my liver checked out, I am sure I have done some serious damage.

I think I will wait a little longer before I go for some checkups. :)

It has now been 35 days since my last drink and guess what, my liver feels normail again.

My eys have nearly cleared up and my liver is no longer sore.

I have a cousin who died 5 years ago from liver a related disease. His bile duct ruptured and they could'nt repair it. The doctor said it was due to his eccessive drinking.

This is serious stuff guys, it can kill us. For me the only cure is total abstinance.

Good luck all

• 2 weeks later...
Seems you have a difficult choice here. Either give up drinking 10 Leo's a day or you will at sometime have to give up your life. Tough choice, make sure you make the right decision as if you don't you might not get a second crack at it. :D

Just realize that :) , with drinking 10 Leo's a day or remaining sober, you will however have to give up your life one day. The problem is to know hwo much difference it will make... :D

. . . and his doctor cannot believe he's still alive. That was four or five years ago. He's a walking testament for Milk Thistle.

From other anecdotal evidence I've seen, Milk Thistle does indeed seem to be almost miraculous in it's healing abilities.

However the word "regenerate" can only be applied loosely, in the sense that it heals. The liver SEEMS to regenerate if part of it is cut out. All that really happens is that the remainder expands to fill the space, and presumably works harder.

At a health check up I was told that I had fatty liver, high levels of liver enzymes and alcoholic hepatitis (also two small cysts 0.7 and 1.0 cm - but this is supposed to be normal). As a bonus - I have a liver infection that makes me shiver and cold sweat at night.

After the ultrasound they said the changes to my liver is not permanent - stopping drinking will probably help the liver to restore itself.

Anyone else done this/been there/or even got to the point of cirrhosis? - and if I don't stop - how many years do you give me on 10 big Leo a day and almost no food ...

Good heavens, why ask? Is it your intention to try to drink right up to the brink of a death sentence?

Sounds like you need some help, seriously.

I had a complete physical at Bumrungrad a couple of weeks ago. After the ultra sound the Dr. told me I had a fatty liver. He ask me if I drank much and I told him a six pack a year. I think he misunderstood me as he told me to lose weight 10-15K and cut back on my drinking. Guess I will have to make the six pack last 2 years.

So you can have a fatty liver from being overweight. Trying to go from 95k to 80k and not doing very well at it. I found it much easier to quit smoking than to lose weight. But that was 25years ago.

If anybody has seen the movie Supersize Me, they might recall that after 3 weeks of eating nothing but McDonald's food, the star was warned by his doctor that his liver was in terrible condition -- comparable to that of a chronic alcoholic. He wasn't drinking any alcohol during his McDonald's experiment and started the experiment in above average health.

Somebody else mentioned that by abstaining for alcohol for a few weeks a damaged liver will rejuvinate itself. This is true - to a point. Yes, your liver will function normally again, but you must keep in mind that it's now very fragile, and returning to the old drinking habits will quickly put your liver back into a troubled state again.

To the OP: I don't think that dropping down from 10 big Leos a day to 3, 4, 5 or 6 is gong to help very much. You should try to get yourself down to 1 or none a day ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all answers. I am trying to cut down to 3-6 bottles a day. I also attends AAmeetings - but I do not know if it is for me. I wnt back to the hospital to try to find out the danger level - and the two doctors I spoke to told me I am not yet in an acute situation. Will give it a 3 months period of lower intake, and take a new test. Then i will know ...

Thanks.

You know the type of beer you drink does have some effect. Thai beers have a lot of toxic chemicals in them that german beers do not. Granted alchol is alchol but these other chemicals can impact the liver greatly. Also if you exercise and sauna you will greatly help the liver as sweating liberates toxins,especially amonia :)

I share your opinion about thai beers, I used to drink thai beer while in thailand , I used to swet like a pork , my bed was wet in the mornings. besecally it's the same fact with asian beers, I tried japanese , taiwanese , many other, the same facts.

• 1 month later...

There is a product put out by ROTTA Pharm. It is called JETEPAR. It is made in Europe You can Google it and find it written about in MIMMS. You can get it in Singapore it is not available inThailnd....don't have a clue why it is said to be even better than silymarin, milk thistle. it contains Beta Glucronate Diethanolamime Glucronate Nicotinamide Ascorbate.............Dont know anything else...

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been here for a while - but thanks to everybody ( I have been spy reading a little bit).

I have not stopped drinking. I have come to the conclusion that I am self medicating for (melancholic or manic) depreession and anxiety. There is a debate whether alcohol is the cause or effect of depression.

My 2 years younger brother has the same pshychiatric symptoms. But he doesn't drink. He is on heavy medication.

My wife and I decided that we couldn't live together 24 h. a day, so now she lives with the children in another room in the same serviced appartment building. Expensive? - Yes! - but everybody - including the children - are happy.

Result: BP down from 150/110 to 120/80 (I am 53). The last LFT: Both AST/ALT around 40 (which is the upper normal limit). GGT down from 275 to 140 (which is nothing more than an indication that I am still drinking).

Diagnosis lowered from Alcoholic Hepatitis to Steato Hepatitis.

I know I am slowly killing myself. But I will not die tomorrow (If I do, it will be in an accident or from some non alcohol related condition).

To everybody here - none named, none forgotten - we all have to go our own way in our own pace.

Thanks,

philo