Want To Buy Gold/silver

I have never invested in anything but property and so far so good however I would like to diversify a bit and put some cash into the above. I need some advice and basically need to be walked through the whole process. Where to buy, how to buy and sell, how to store and what to look out for.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never invested in anything but property and so far so good however I would like to diversify a bit and put some cash into the above. I need some advice and basically need to be walked through the whole process. Where to buy, how to buy and sell, how to store and what to look out for.

Not an expert but the recent run on gold would have me waiting awhile to jump in, unless of course you think it will only continue to go up.

If it were me, I would look to the set for some bargains on certain banks and perhaps property companies whose shares of dumped dramatically recently.

Unfortuneately I am married with a little one on the way so I have no money to invest. :o

I bought comin here for "social reasons" some gold, then when ever there was some "cash over".. I bought some more... I bough the first in 1992 for around 4300 Baht /Baht weight, which was then 1US=24 ThB only about ten/12 years later it started to kick off today it's worth 13.xxx Baht per 15.2 Gr. Baht weight, thats a neat margin of ~ 300%!

Same with selected precious stones, gem quality, not diamonds.

Edited by Samuian

I buy my gold in China town as they seem to hike things up a bit in MBK and other tourist areas, there is a lot of competition so some dealers offer lower prices than the standard market rate. You can either buy jewlery or gold bars.

When you buy gold jewelry they will charge you 300-600 baht per 1 baht of gold you buy. This is to do with the cost of making the necklace etc etc, You of course do not get this back when you sell the gold back to the shop and you get a lower rate when you sell it back to what people will be buying it from the shop for. So lets say when you go to the shop there should be two prices in white outside on the window, one for selling and one for buying per baht. The one which is higher is the price they are selling to you for and the other the one they will buy the gold from you for.

When you buy a gold bar you will be only charged 100/200 baht for the making fees but this can change etc etc but is deffo cheaper than buying jewelry. Also make sure to sell the gold back when you want to to the shop you bought it from, every goldsmith will have there badge printed on the bit that holds the necklace together, I am not so sure about this but I think if you sell it to different shop you bought it from you will get less for your money...don't ask me why.

I would add that If you are buying for investment I think you would be better to buy other precious metals. However you have maybe missed the boat on those too :o Gold will stay strong for a good few years but will not rise much from its current rate.

Thanks for the replies. I just read there is a shortage of gold worldwide as big time investors snap it up now. Maybe as most have suggested its best to wait. What other precious metals you suggest bravingbangkok

I would add that If you are buying for investment I think you would be better to buy other precious metals. However you have maybe missed the boat on those too :o Gold will stay strong for a good few years but will not rise much from its current rate.

Gold is trading within a range now with an downside bias. Definitely it will not maintain current price levels. If we fall below 835 we might see 650 pretty fast and for those who want to buy in they should wait until it breaks to new highs. If anything with gold now then sell what you have considering a buyback later or short it.

Gold is trading within a range now with an downside bias. Definitely it will not maintain current price levels. If we fall below 835 we might see 650 pretty fast and for those who want to buy in they should wait until it breaks to new highs. If anything with gold now then sell what you have considering a buyback later or short it.

Yes I think I am going to sell my gold now as I bought it 5 years ago :D I have been following the price since the crash

http://goldprice.org/live-gold-price.html

It was at its highest on Monday which would have been the ideal time :D think I might go today as you may be right about the price slipping. It will not slip that much though, a lot depends on this bail out package congress are deciding over.

I would add that If you are buying for investment I think you would be better to buy other precious metals. However you have maybe missed the boat on those too :D Gold will stay strong for a good few years but will not rise much from its current rate.

missed the boat on Platinum which fell from a high of 2,252 in March 2008 to 978 yesterday, or Silver (same period) from 21 to 10.82? shall i go on with Palladium from 579 to 195 or Rhodium from 10,000 to 3,900? :o

the picture looks of course different when using another time period such as a decade back.

Today I shall go to the beergarden and sacrifice 1000 bht in the name of ermmm, research :o . There is another thread running now where I have found the info I need so mods can close this thread.

Can you share it with the rest of us? The other thread I mean.

Edited by Shotime

Many of the top economists, and these guys predicted the current mess months or even years ago, are saying gold will reach around 1600 US in the next year. Some are even predicting upwards of 3000 US per oz. I have even heard 6000 US being talked of. Who knows what the final high will be, but I am confidant there is plenty of growth yet.

Many of the top economists, and these guys predicted the current mess months or even years ago, are saying gold will reach around 1600 US in the next year. Some are even predicting upwards of 3000 US per oz. I have even heard 6000 US being talked of. Who knows what the final high will be, but I am confidant there is plenty of growth yet.

i think it will be more than 10,000 by Christmas, which year? how would i know? i just talk :o

Got to retest those breakouts. Had a nice run though.

Today I shall go to the beergarden and sacrifice 1000 bht in the name of ermmm, research :o . There is another thread running now where I have found the info I need so mods can close this thread.

Can you share it with the rest of us? The other thread I mean.

Sorry but cant find the other thread now but these 2 websites were on it

http://www.bordergold.com/index.php?option...6&Itemid=60

http://www.ylgbullion.com/

JPM 02-10-08:

Another ugly day - ALERT

• Gold fell $34/oz (~4%) today to finish at $836/oz, helped by some dollar

strength (up 1%). Using gold as a fear index, its large fall suggests that

investors are assuming that the TARP debt package will pass into law on

Friday. However, the S&P 500’s 4% fall is probably telling us that

TARP is not enough.

• Financial deleveraging has consigned industry fundamentals to the

background. The gold equities as measured by the HUI index fell

16.1% against gold’s 4% fall today, suggesting the market sees more

downside.

• We are very confident of the fundamental case for gold. Mine supply

continues to fall, and central banks are less willing sellers. Mine supply

is down 5.5moz (6%) from the 2001 high point, and we expect further

falls. Gold Fields Mineral Services (GFMS) talks about a “collapse” of

central bank sales in H2 2008 as several sellers have reached their

targets. GFMS goes on to suggest that unless some unexpected sales are

made, official sector sales in 2008 will be the lowest since 1995.

• If, however, the tide has turned in the Atlantic and money flows are

about to return to “safety” in the US from the Euro, gold may still be

vulnerable.

• Gold strength on fundamentals or dollar weakness? Our key

uncertainty is whether gold buying has been based on our positive view

of the metal’s fundamentals or as a simple subset of the short dollar play.

Our fear is that it’s the latter case.

• On the second page of this note we include a long chart of the dollar

index DXY. We include this because the dollar’s recent strength has

taken the chart up through resistance in place since 2000. If we zoom out

to a 30-year view, it’s possible that the new resistance for the DXY is

around 100, 25% above the current level. We are not forecasting a

sharply higher dollar but are simply highlighting the risk in this uncertain

investment environment.

• Remain cautious on gold equities. We remain bulls of gold metal for

the medium-to-longer term, but after the dollar’s breakout (and in

today’s uncertain world) we remain cautious on the more levered gold

equities.

JPM 02-10-08:

• Financial deleveraging has consigned ... fundamentals to the

background.

• On the second page of this note we include a long chart of the dollar

index DXY. We include this because the dollar's recent strength has

taken the chart up through resistance in place since 2000. If we zoom out

to a 30-year view, it's possible that the new resistance for the DXY is

around 100, 25% above the current level. We are not forecasting a

sharply higher dollar but are simply highlighting the risk in this uncertain

investment environment.

Here is the relevant chart:

post-25601-1223039203_thumb.png

I have ST targets near 82ish. Assuming it's in bull trend (HUGE assumption) There's a gap in the weekly chart at 95. It's LT downtrend is near 100 and the patter it just broke out of on the monthly chart projects higher than that.

No, I'm not drunk.

I would add that If you are buying for investment I think you would be better to buy other precious metals. However you have maybe missed the boat on those too :D Gold will stay strong for a good few years but will not rise much from its current rate.

missed the boat on Platinum which fell from a high of 2,252 in March 2008 to 978 yesterday, or Silver (same period) from 21 to 10.82? shall i go on with Palladium from 579 to 195 or Rhodium from 10,000 to 3,900? :o

the picture looks of course different when using another time period such as a decade back.

Yes so now would be a good time to buy would it not ? Anyway I was not really thinking of any of those you mentioned but rather Indium and Tellurium. I personally have invested in both of these. Tellurium some time back now. Now Indium has come down from it's high point I have decided a few months ago to invest in that as well.

Yes so now would be a good time to buy would it not ? Anyway I was not really thinking of any of those you mentioned but rather Indium and Tellurium. I personally have invested in both of these. Tellurium some time back now. Now Indium has come down from it's high point I have decided a few months ago to invest in that as well.

I am thinking the same

Edited by zorro1

missed the boat on Platinum which fell from a high of 2,252 in March 2008 to 978 yesterday, or Silver (same period) from 21 to 10.82? shall i go on with Palladium from 579 to 195 or Rhodium from 10,000 to 3,900? :D

I am thinking the same

and what -pray tell- exactly are you thinking Zorro? :D investing in Indium and Tellurium by buying some paper saying "i owe you x kg of rare Indiums or Delirium?" (pun intended :D)

nobody (neither in Isaan province nor in Bangkok) will buy your Indium or Tellurium if you decide to sell at a profit (or a loss) :o

In times of uncertainty people like to invest in gold, it's tangible.

Swiss francs might be worth considering.

no doubt about that...... except........ that CHF (Swiss Franc) lost 15% in the last 6 weeks against the US-Dollars which is bloody weak currency since 7 years :o

missed the boat on Platinum which fell from a high of 2,252 in March 2008 to 978 yesterday, or Silver (same period) from 21 to 10.82? shall i go on with Palladium from 579 to 195 or Rhodium from 10,000 to 3,900? :D

I am thinking the same

and what -pray tell- exactly are you thinking Zorro? :D investing in Indium and Tellurium by buying some paper saying "i owe you x kg of rare Indiums or Delirium?" (pun intended :D )

nobody (neither in Isaan province nor in Bangkok) will buy your Indium or Tellurium if you decide to sell at a profit (or a loss) :o

Never said you would be buying and selling in Thailand ! yet again people jumping to conclusions. Could you quote me where I did ? ...thought so !