Thai Music

Radius

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost thought this was worth a peak... until I realised I had accidentally been listening to this and the suggestion above http://www.ethiopiques.info/ at the same time... :D It sounded pretty wierd. Not exactly Bowie or Eno but it was kind of wacky to hear them both at once... :o

I'll have to try that. What did you reckon to the Ethiopiques stuff?

Not bad, but it was surprisingly similar to a Serbian ehtnic music grrove mix I picked up in Belgrade a few years back.

But I was impressed with the http://www.monsoon-country.org/?page_id=8 since it just shows you how some people have some fantastic taste despite, if we are being fair, not exactly being in the hip hub of hub of modern music. The generator of the music is in Maha Sarakham. nice. They must struggle to find places to go which play Gambi Mali music (that they have)... :D

Allrighty then. :o

Not my taste, but not totally bad either. :D

Any more?

Try and listen to a band call Acapella 7. One of the best Thai bands i have heard. I dont really like Thai music. Especially the so called popular stuff. Trust me. Acapella 7 - Album- Mouth 2 Mouth or a single 1,2.3.

Any more?

Try and listen to a band call Acapella 7. One of the best Thai bands i have heard. I dont really like Thai music. Especially the so called popular stuff. Trust me. Acapella 7 - Album- Mouth 2 Mouth or a single 1,2.3.

Have a look HERE!

Any more?

I will take your word for J Star. My exposure to Thai music sadly begins and ends with the crap on MTV I bump into on my way to real TV (video zonkers etc) or worse, the Issan station of choice of my taxi drivers.

Firstly, I must admit I am in awe of your tech skills in being able to post that on here ( i wouldnt know where to begin).

With regards to the content of the afformentioned and posted video clip, well...all I can say is variety is what makes the world interesting and what is gold for someone is dirt for others.

I have listend to it twice now and not only have I the urge for a paracetamal, it has inspired me to sing along quietly the next time I get in a taxi.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I was clearing out some old magazines and came across this article. I recalled this thread, and thought it might be useful.

There are some good photos with the article which was in the monthly Music supplement. If you want copies of the article with the photos, please send me a pm.

The whole archive of the Guardian + Observer is now available on-line, but there is a fee for access. In that way you'd probably get a pdf of the article.

The heading of the article is:

Bang pop!

Mar 19 2006:

Could Thailand be the home of the next big thing? Simon Napier-Bell dissects the thriving music industry there and blows the trumpet for a band called Futon

Edited by Cool Water Palace

Loso, Carabao, (Da) Endorphine, yes... Fahrenheit is not bad either. The female singer has a good and deep voice and she's quite charming IMHO.

ต้อย หมวกแดง (= "Toi Muak Deng") sings funny parodies of Mor Lum songs, for instance, อย่าขอหมอลำ (= "Yah Koh Mor Lum") which means "Don't ask for Mor Lum": a great success two or three years ago...

And this year, the greatest hit in the local charts was probably ดู ดู้ ดู (= "Do Do Do"), a Thai reggae song by JOB2DO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAdZzr0ysxg

Thai pop music is ubiquitous in Thailand. In some places, like malls and long distance buses, you can't easily get away from it, unless you leave the mall or tell the driver to stop the bus - and you get off.

I'm a musician, mostly R&B, and have played in dozens of bar bands in the States and Europe. Done some recording, songwriting, studio work, concerts, etc.

I know it's not popular to say so on this thread, but in ten years in Thailand, I have not once heard a Thai song that I like - and I'm bombarded by Thai music every day. Ok, I take it back, once in 2002 I was in a noodle shop and heard a Thai boy band that had an interesting rhythmic thing going.

As if Thai music wasn't bland enough already, there seems to be a current trend for Thai musicians to sound as insipid as they possibly can. In other words, they try to outdo each other by singing such wishy washy sounding regurgitated puff. It gets so devoid of backbone as to waft away - like a can of diet coke mixed with ten liters of water, twenty tablespoons of sugar, two quarts of corn syrup, and fifty baglets of sweet and low artificial sweetener.

Thai musicians would be well advised to listen to, and emulate spirited music from other cultures. Learn some chords other than the standard major and minor boring blah. Find some melody lines that go beyond nursery rhymes. Learn from salsa, Cuban, Brazilian, African, New Orleans, ....and steer away from Bobby Goldsboro and Niel Diamond on qualuudes.

Brahms

I know it's not popular to say so on this thread, but in ten years in Thailand, I have not once heard a Thai song that I like - and I'm bombarded by Thai music every day. Ok, I take it back, once in 2002 I was in a noodle shop and heard a Thai boy band that had an interesting rhythmic thing going.

Ok. You may dislike Thai music, you have to admit that Mor Lum (traditional music in Northeastern Thailand and Laos) female dancers are usually quite charming... :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnqAopr6yV0

Any more?

I gave this a listen, please tell me you didn't buy the album and you downloaded it for free? haha its crap! :D

• 3 years later...

I most highly recommend getting the DVD "Bodyslam - Live in Kraam' You can find the whole concert on youtube but it is split into 21 parts.

I have always been an enthusiast of good music, collecting for many years. This concert took place in Bangkok about 2.5 years ago, and I was so incredibly disappointed that I found out about it after it happened. Then I saw the concert video and I was amazed. Seriously one of the best concert videos ever made.

Thailand has a lot of one hit wonders, they will have one good song then most of their other songs are weak. Below are some of the bands that have whole albums worth looking into

Top Bands

Clash

Taxi (try to find the acoustic cd, its brilliant)

Sek Loso

Potato

Bakery

Marihuana (can't remember the album name, but ask for the biggest seller they had)

Job 2 Do (thai reggae, great recording, well written songs)

Endorphin

Big Ass

Parn (her first album really rocked, now she is too mellow for me)

Abnormal

Slot Machine

Music Videos

Here is a playlist I started but haven't put enough effort into, but you can see some good stuff here.

Translated Lyrics & and current top 100

This is a great website for keeping up with what the latest top 100 are. In addition, they have the lyrics for many many songs, of which quite a few have been translated not only phonetically but the meaning as well! As I build my iTunes collection of the best stuff, I will go to this website to get the lyrics and add them to the song. It really makes the music much more meaningful.

http://www.ethaimusi.../lyrics/055.htm

Edited by bitterbatter

I'll admit it right away: I know nothing of Thai music.

What is hot?

What is popular?

What is good?

What are old time favorites?

Please enlighten me.

You can go here:

http://www.ethaimusi...hives/index.php

So on my MP3 player is:

Guided by Voices

Oliver Tremor Control

Communist Pop of the 1970s, Vol.2

Monkey

Todd Rundgren

Brian Eno

Scott Walker

Steve Reich

Star Wars- The Musical

Peking Opera of the poems of Mao Tse Tung

Egyptian Pop of the 1970s

Lambchop

Ute Lemper

Divine Comedy

Vietcong anthems

Magnetic Fields

David Bowie

and other stuff...

So what Thai pop will I like...

It would need to be bizarre, orchestral or hyper-minimalist, almost certainly virtually unknown in Thailand, and definitely does not have a 'snap drum' backing track...

Any suggestions? ohmy.png

I am still looking for that myself. You have a unusual collection to say the least. funny, I used to work with Todd Rundgren, as his landscaper.

Above is an old thai artist you might want to check out- His name is Suriphon. I tried many times to insert the link, but it doesn't show up so just search within youtube for the following -

เดือนหงายที่ริมโขง- สุรพล

Edited by bitterbatter

Im only able to comment on the thai women in my life listen to which is soft sugar coated soft rock, the live stuff ive seen around mostly seem to pander to the over the hill farang mob, have caught a few good bands here and one is T bone who play reggae and a few others but cant recall there names.

Spent an evening at the pattaya music festival so there is some quality around just not my style apart form t bone.

I do wish that the thai cover bands would up date there music, not all of us old guys wanna hear that 60's and 70's over and over...there is some great alternative music thats come out last 10 ys