180 Days Per Year Or 90 Days Per 180 Days?

Hi all,

Last week I lost my job due to cost cutting and I am now in a situation where I am looking for a long stay in Thailand in order to find a new job.

I have already a tourist visa (60 days) and I understand it can be extended for another 30 days .

According to some info, one can only stay in the Kingdom for 90 days in a period of 180 days.

Or can I apply for another 60 day tourist visa (when the first expires) outside Thailand with the possibility to extend another 30 days?

Another option would be for me to learn Thai at Walen for example and have a 1 year visa (with extensions in between).

But would that be possible if I stayed 90 days in Thailand, then go to SG to apply for ED visa?

Sorry I am not familiar with all of this as in the past my company did all the visa and WP stuff.

Kind regards,

Alex

The 90 day in a 6 month period rule applies to entries made on Visa exempt, ie the 30 day stamps.

There seems to be no limit to the amount of tourist visas. The Thai consulate in Vientiene, Laos, is probably your best bet for a double entry tourist visa. Good for approx 6 months in the Kingdom :o

I read somewhere recently that the 6 month periods are from October to March and April to September. Can anyone confirm this?

I can tell you that that is completely untrue ... the months of the year have no bearing on this, just the number of days in country and only on visa-exempt entries

The Royal Thai Police Order No. 608/2549 Subject: The assignment of authorization to permit an alien who obtains an exemption visa to enter into the Kingdom of Thailand for temporary stay

Link: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp608EN.pdf

You can read the rules. Number 3 is the 90 days in 6 months rule.

Edit: At this moment there seems to a proplem with TV's redirect so link does not work. You will need to do a copy and paste.

Edited by ubonjoe