Looking For A New Bike Around 50k Thb

sunsamourai

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bard, you have hit upon a point I often forget to make, when giving advice to regular farang about buying a step-through here. Many times, they are just buying basic transport, as the OP here seemed to ask about. That is why I do not discuss step-throughs much, even when I have ridden one such as the Yam XR1. Not only do I not find them exciting, but they are designed and sold to get Sombut and Lakanong down to the 7-11 and back. I thought the CBR150 was a whole different vehicle, but now I realize it is little more than a slightly larger Dream with a big tank. :o

And before dave boo convicts me of blasphemy, I remind y'all that the Yamaha XR1 has disk brakes, mag wheels, a fairly powerful OHC liquid cooled 135 engine, and a proper 4speed gearbox. Likewise, the Sonic 125 is about as sporty as a Suzuki Raider 150

I wasn't going to convict you of blasphemy, but rather being a schismatic.

There's a huge difference between our bikes and the Dream derivatives; practicality. For the 'standard' Thai, there's nothing as eminently serviceable as the latter.

While the CBR 150 carries a surprisingly large amount of groceries on its mirror stalks, that's about it. How much can you carry on one of the other bikes? Draped off the mirror stalks, stuck in the front basket, hung on the hook by the knees, shoved into the under-seat compartment, hung on the handlebars, and carried in hand?

How many Thais have you seen crammed onto a CBR 150R at one time? I've seen 5 (five) on one of the Dream descendents before!

How many CBRs do you see hooked up to food carts or transporting propane cylinders? Granted older two strokes of similar design have been used, but how many CBRs?

On the other hand, how many of those other bikes do you seen being raced with any conviction?

How many of those other bikes do you see weaving through traffic whilst on their way for a 120+ kph cruise outside the city all the while remaining completely stable?

I do understand how one could become disillusioned with the power, however to lump the CBR into the same category is a gross mis-service. Based on that reasoning, you could easily start lumping the CBR 600 (with its 106 BHP) into the group because it's nothing more than a grown up CBR 150 with an extra 3 cylinders!

people with an interest for bikes, versus people who drive them because they have no means of getting a car.

... Or when it comes as a choice because driving a car here is just such a waste of time ! :D

Today Dotcom took me to a few shops, and it's just so much better to check it directly facing the bike, with a guy who knows ! I also must say I really enjoyed the trip on his CB400 :o:D:D

I will surely move to something of that kind with a bit more experience ! :D

Tnx a lot Dotcom !

Knowing that Mrs wants something where she can be confortable, I guess I will opt for an Air Blade or Nouvo. Both look comfortable and reliable. I'll just take a bit more time to check on pricesand infos to confirm that first feeling...

++ ^^

For 50k Baht buy a new Honda Airblade or Yamaha Nuovo. If you have more than 300k Baht, buy a Harley.

Anything else is a compromise.

Cheers

Wow, even your suggestion has compromises.

An Airblade or Nuovo is great for in city riding, but I doubt you can get a new one for 50k. So, you're looking used. And at the price point suggested, you can get a really decent used CBR 150 that is just as nimble in the city and much better outside it.

A Harley, is well a Harley. Inside the city your bike is no better than an un-airconditioned smog ingesting car. Not my idea of fun to be stuck behind a smoky Bangkok bus for a couple of kilometers. Of course get outside the city and the Harley shines in its intended enviroment; namely comfortably counting down road markers to its next gas stop. How nice of a Harley can you actually get for 300k THB?

If I was going to recommend some bike at the upper price point, it would be a ER-6N. Small enough to allow limited lane splitting, but still large enough to be extremely comfortable on the long haul. And considering some of the roads that some of us like to travel, much better suited than a Harley.

i would go for the new nouvo 135cc compared to 115cc airblade.

and i think at the moment if he looks around and finds one in stock should be able to get it around the 50k mark.

my mates got a older nouvo and loves it. the new one (135cc)is pretty fast. the airblade is a slug.

allan

i would go for the new nouvo 135cc compared to 115cc airblade.

and i think at the moment if he looks around and finds one in stock should be able to get it around the 50k mark.

my mates got a older nouvo and loves it. the new one (135cc)is pretty fast. the airblade is a slug.

allan

And there's no space for a proper sized foot.

If I was going to recommend some bike at the upper price point, it would be a ER-6N. Small enough to allow limited lane splitting, but still large enough to be extremely comfortable on the long haul. And considering some of the roads that some of us like to travel, much better suited than a Harley.

I can't wait until the ER-6N goes on sale next year- Already saving up for it!

ER6NBlack.jpg

Ride On :o

Where can I see a picture of a Yamaha XR-1 ? Thanks
X1R. Yamaha numbers confuse me. Sorry. The YZF-R1 costs 130,000 baht more than the FZ1, and they are both four cylinder sport bikes. I was referring to a 135 scooter.

As for waiting until a new model comes on sale in Thailand. Wasn't there a delay of six to nine months for the Ninja 250? Will Honda ever release the 250 sport bike? I gave up waiting.

Where can I see a picture of a Yamaha XR-1 ? Thanks
X1R. Yamaha numbers confuse me. Sorry. The YZF-R1 costs 130,000 baht more than the FZ1, and they are both four cylinder sport bikes. I was referring to a 135 scooter.

As for waiting until a new model comes on sale in Thailand. Wasn't there a delay of six to nine months for the Ninja 250? Will Honda ever release the 250 sport bike? I gave up waiting.

I doubt it; and for those that call the CB 250 a 'sport bike' I have one thing to say; keep dreaming. Reason I doubt that they will bring a sports bike in the two fifty class is that they don't currently offer one anywhere in the world. I don't know how much retooling it would take to 'glue' two CBR 125 cylinders together, but that's the only way I could see it happening.

If we are not off topic, I was referring to the CBX-250 or whatever, that we discussed previously. It is sold in Mexico and elsewhere, under various names. It is a comparatively low-tech, air-cooled single which was estimated to be sold here for 100K. I think it ain't gonna happen because it has less than 30 hp, I think it has a carburetor, it has limited fairings, and Kawasaki has stolen the stage with its Ninja 250.

If we are not off topic, I was referring to the CBX-250 or whatever, that we discussed previously. It is sold in Mexico and elsewhere, under various names. It is a comparatively low-tech, air-cooled single which was estimated to be sold here for 100K. I think it ain't gonna happen because it has less than 30 hp, I think it has a carburetor, it has limited fairings, and Kawasaki has stolen the stage with its Ninja 250.

According to RichardBKK, it should cost ~95 000 THB. But then again, he was the one who stated that the Ninja was going to be between 110-200 k THB with him calling the 170 000 THB price point.....

Having pointed that out, I believe that for what you're getting, you should only have to pay that 90k-ish THB for a CB*-250 considering what you receive. I've heard numbers being tossed about of 20-24 BHP for the bike; but assuming that it's the same engine used in the American Honda Rebel 250 (or the Nighthawk 250), I've seen links that suggest the power output is more along the lines of 16 HP (and that was corrected--god I hate when they do that; just give us RWHP!).

122_0810_33_z%202008_honda_rebel_250%20graph.jpg

Granted those engines are bullet-proof, and get awesome milage, but not really worth putting up against the Ninja 250 especially when you get a much sportier package with the CBR 150 for the same output.

Granted those engines are bullet-proof, and get awesome milage, but not really worth putting up against the Ninja 250 especially when you get a much sportier package with the CBR 150 for the same output.

Another dig against the Ninja? :D Now that you own a Ninjette you'll finally see how the the CBR150 is not even in the same class. (By that way- I notice you changed your ride for the Iron Butt Ride) :o

Personally I don't care what you ride- a CBR 150 is a good deal for the money. and that's about all I can say about it.

Happy Trails! :D

big bike i think he was putting the honda 250 single up against the cbr150. and saying the 150 is a better package than the proposed honda 250 eg:price, looks etc.... and that it would not compare to the lovely ninja.... but might be wrong :o

Ooops- My bad :o

Peace and One Love 250px-Peace_sign.png

Ride on! :D

Apology accepted. :D As Bard and thaicbr pointed out, I was trying to lay to rest the rumour that Honda currently had ANY answer to the Ninja. In fact, they haven't had one since ~1999 when the CBR 250RR (which I'm sorry to have to repeat but was a better bike than the Ninja) went out of production. The train of thought that the CB*-250 is a good competitor is quite rubbish also.

It was a slight dig at two forum members though........

Okay, I was referring to the CBF-250 Honda single. On RichardBKK's website, he said "...if it comes available in Thailand it will cost around 80,000 baht...." I cannot find it on the Mexico Honda website but I think it was quoted there in the mid-25's for horsepower. Not sure if it is the same as the Rebel, which is a slug. Or the 250 Nighthawk. Honda also sells more powerful 250 and 400 street bikes in Mexico. There, the CBF-250 sells for about US4,000. Richard later clarified that Honda is just too green, nowadays, to bring out outdated carbureted designs.

Okay, I was referring to the CBF-250 Honda single. On RichardBKK's website, he said "...if it comes available in Thailand it will cost around 80,000 baht...." I cannot find it on the Mexico Honda website but I think it was quoted there in the mid-25's for horsepower. Not sure if it is the same as the Rebel, which is a slug. Or the 250 Nighthawk. Honda also sells more powerful 250 and 400 street bikes in Mexico. There, the CBF-250 sells for about US4,000. Richard later clarified that Honda is just too green, nowadays, to bring out outdated carbureted designs.

FWIW, I found it. It's under the "OnRoad" section as the "CBX250 TWISTER" (at current exchange rate it's 118,286 THB). Listed power (which I have doubts of, see NSR 150's listed power!) is 23.7. That's quite a bit more than the "CMX 250 FALCON" also listed (19.5) and the only differences between the two engines that I could see was that the 'Twister' lists having an oil cooler (enfriado por aire con radiador aceite) and being single cylinder (monocilíndrico). So I was mistaken about it having the same engine as the Rebel and Nighthawk which are inline twins. Although I couldn't find any more powerful street 250 bikes, listed are the CRF 250R and CRF 250X with 31 and 35 HP respectively; both are single cylinders. Only 400 listed is the NX4 Falcon, which puts out an anemic 30 HP and is also a single.

I would like to compliment them on the design of their website.....

When the Mexican Honda website works, it has enough details on each model. I always get Twister and Tornado confused; both are single 250's. If their HP claims are accurate, they must be low HP but stronger torque. Mai bpen rai. Honda has the Thai 150 market sewed up tight after six years with the same model, and shows no sign of developing any sport bike bigger than 150 here.

We could pool our money and get some crankcases and crankshafts fabbed up. Feel like a Vee Twin CBR 300? :o
Now you're talking - and let us fabricate the cylinders like a MotoGuzzi, and put those big bore and stroke kits fropm Asean Moto, so it has 400 cc. Hmm, it may loopk like a shrunk 1982 Honda Silver Wing. Then put full plastic saddlebags and a top trunk...oh, and maybe there was a turbo in there somewhere, and fuel injection. And this is a thread for a 50K new, stock, step-through in Thailand.

We could pool our money and get some crankcases and crankshafts fabbed up. Feel like a Vee Twin CBR 300? :o
Now you're talking - and let us fabricate the cylinders like a MotoGuzzi, and put those big bore and stroke kits fropm Asean Moto, so it has 400 cc. Hmm, it may loopk like a shrunk 1982 Honda Silver Wing. Then put full plastic saddlebags and a top trunk...oh, and maybe there was a turbo in there somewhere, and fuel injection. And this is a thread for a 50K new, stock, step-through in Thailand.

No coffee yet, i.e. didn't read the humour in the post? :D

But as far as i'm aware sr400 is kick start only.................doh whats that about. :o

Allan

Hi thaicbr

You are right about the kick start, but it was designed to be very easy to kick over (The designer had a dodgy ankle,apparently). One must remember its been out a few decades now and is supposed to be a retro 'British styled' thumper. I think they are great little bikes (even without the correct paperwork)

Dave

I bought an airblade, and I will buy another one when girlfriend turns it into a som tom kitchen.

Ah that laos food!

Somebody told me that Airblades were actually a bit dangerous because the gas tank is so close to the engine (or something else hot, I didn't get everything as we spoke Thai...), meaning that the smalest leak from the tank could lead to the bike getting on fire !

Is this true ?

Anyways, my choice is made, I'm going for the Nouvo :o

Just have to find the right deal :D

Thanks a lot everyone for the prime infos I needed ^^

++ ^^

I bought an airblade, and I will buy another one when girlfriend turns it into a som tom kitchen.

Ah that laos food!

Somebody told me that Airblades were actually a bit dangerous because the gas tank is so close to the engine (or something else hot, I didn't get everything as we spoke Thai...), meaning that the smalest leak from the tank could lead to the bike getting on fire !

Is this true ?

Anyways, my choice is made, I'm going for the Nouvo :D

++ ^^

:o Ummh, did you kindly point out to your acquaintance that all 'real' motorbikes have their gas tanks hanging centimeters above their engines? And asked how often he has heard of an older 'real' motorbike catch on fire due to leaky tanks or for that matter a brand new motorbike?

Ah that laos food!

Is this true ?

Anyways, my choice is made, I'm going for the Nouvo :o

++ ^^

I would go for Nuovo MX. Great choice.

I can't wait until the ER-6N goes on sale next year- Already saving up for it!

ER6NBlack.jpg

May I be the first to say, on behalf of motorcycle lovers everywhere that this - just like the Suzuki B-King are "butt ugly" ?

Monkey see monkey do re Japanese "styling"

These stupid looking bikes are not long for this world.

Edited by dotcom