Marina In Big Buddha Area

Gidday mate BBCSamui

I keep hearing rumours about the marina in Samui and the rumours keep talking about other locations.

There is a rumour that Bangkok airways linked people want to put a large hotel on the land next to Sabai properties and also put a marina in front (on the West side of the point) – not sure if it is a private one or the Government one.

There is also a rumour that the Government marina is going to be placed on the other side of Big Buddha next to a large hotel. I have heard this rumour from a few different sources and an Aussie Guy who is involved in boats in Bangrak has allegedly said “100%” it will not go next to the BBC and he knows because he has the management contract for the new Government marina."

We haven’t heard from you lately so do you have any more news?

:) Well if there is any truth in that, the Thais are going to shoot themselves in the foot again just like they did by building the useless PUBLIC (?) pier at Ban Rak. What will not change is the fact that ALL of Ban Rak bay and BoPhut have less than 2 m. depth most of the year, which rules out yachts. The BBC site and the reef North of it are THE ONLY LOGICAL SITE as there is a NATURAL deep water channel from Koh Som where it is 11 m. and down to 4.5 m. at BBC. Are you listening Harbour Department ????

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gidday mate BBCSamui

I keep hearing rumours about the marina in Samui and the rumours keep talking about other locations.

There is a rumour that Bangkok airways linked people want to put a large hotel on the land next to Sabai properties and also put a marina in front (on the West side of the point) – not sure if it is a private one or the Government one.

There is also a rumour that the Government marina is going to be placed on the other side of Big Buddha next to a large hotel. I have heard this rumour from a few different sources and an Aussie Guy who is involved in boats in Bangrak has allegedly said "100%" it will not go next to the BBC and he knows because he has the management contract for the new Government marina."

We haven't heard from you lately so do you have any more news?

:) Well if there is any truth in that, the Thais are going to shoot themselves in the foot again just like they did by building the useless PUBLIC (?) pier at Ban Rak. What will not change is the fact that ALL of Ban Rak bay and BoPhut have less than 2 m. depth most of the year, which rules out yachts. The BBC site and the reef North of it are THE ONLY LOGICAL SITE as there is a NATURAL deep water channel from Koh Som where it is 11 m. and down to 4.5 m. at BBC. Are you listening Harbour Department ????

Wouldn't they just dig it out to the necessary depth anyway? Then again, maybe not. Isn't the bottom solid rock there?

Edited by koheesti

for those of you who don't read Thai. and its a pity... the letter does not reference a Marina but a sport or a support pier. not really clear what it is but definitely it does not say Marina.

My understanding is that there is no direct Thai translation for Marina. And the letter specifies a pier for sailing yachts, motor yachts, sports and recreation - which is closer to my view of a marina than a ferry pier which has a totally different name in Thai.

Hi bbcsamui...

Agree , if it is eventually a proper "marina" - your location is suitable.. Good luck with the meeting and would love to see some positive forward motion on this..

Good for the island.. Every little bit does help... Keeping in mind - would it be including the tour operators (diver companies, transport to KT - full moon parties....volume?)

C

The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned although I think that some of the berths should be smaller. Hopefully the causeway to the Big Buddah

will be removed and replaced by a bridge to allow a better through flow of water and possibly allow access to a further mooring area for shallow draft boats.

Hope it wouldn't include full moon transportation if it is to be a proper Marina. There are enough piers in the area to cater for this.

I will certainly go to the meeting. In my opinion this is probably the best all round location for weather protection on the whole island.

for those of you who don't read Thai. and its a pity... the letter does not reference a Marina but a sport or a support pier. not really clear what it is but definitely it does not say Marina.

My understanding is that there is no direct Thai translation for Marina. And the letter specifies a pier for sailing yachts, motor yachts, sports and recreation - which is closer to my view of a marina than a ferry pier which has a totally different name in Thai.

Hi bbcsamui...

Agree , if it is eventually a proper "marina" - your location is suitable.. Good luck with the meeting and would love to see some positive forward motion on this..

Good for the island.. Every little bit does help... Keeping in mind - would it be including the tour operators (diver companies, transport to KT - full moon parties....volume?)

C

The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned although I think that some of the berths should be smaller. Hopefully the causeway to the Big Buddah

will be removed and replaced by a bridge to allow a better through flow of water and possibly allow access to a further mooring area for shallow draft boats.

Hope it wouldn't include full moon transportation if it is to be a proper Marina. There are enough piers in the area to cater for this.

I will certainly go to the meeting. In my opinion this is probably the best all round location for weather protection on the whole island.

Sorry, should have added if another meeting is convened this year! Senior moment.

Gidday mate BBCSamui

There is also a rumour that the Government marina is going to be placed on the other side of Big Buddha next to a large hotel. I have heard this rumour from a few different sources and an Aussie Guy who is involved in boats in Bangrak has allegedly said "100%" it will not go next to the BBC and he knows because he has the management contract for the new Government marina."

We haven't heard from you lately so do you have any more news?

Yorkie100

I have heard similar rumours and I am sure we will never really know until it is built and up and running.

I have only reported facts that I received at public meetings and from discussion with the Harbour Board and the Bangkok based consultants and from watching the surveyors out in front checking for dredging etc.

But as in any country there is intense competition to have marinas in certain locations as it could potentially create significant increase in land prices. I personally am 50 / 50 about it being near me. It may be the most sheltered location of the three and add business and value to the property, but it will also block the view and potentially create parking hassles, waste, rubbish etc.

I have therefore not been involved in any lobbying to get it in front. I have heard though that there are other parties working very hard on getting it near them – so we will just have to wait to see when it is finished.

Hopefully we will soon get a decision and get it under way as we need it somewhere on the Island.

Cheers