How Do I Explain To The Wife . . .

MJP

Okay, here it is.

Been earning very well in the West for the past decade. Still have lots of work on but recently I have become very ill with severe Type II diabetes. No probs, have mucho savings.

The wife and daughter live in a nice home in Issan, great.

Trouble is I'm worried the old woman will not reign in her spending and as I have tried repeatedly to explain the global situation is likely to result in a economic depression, she has only ever know boom economics.

Question: Is there any news or other sources I can show her in Thailand which will back up my pleadings?

Probably many in the same boat here. Please help.

cut the amount you send her! actions speak louder than words.

although you may have a hard time explaining why you still cashing big checks while many lose their jobs. after all say unemployment is 10% 90% still have their jobs.

Edited by stephaniee

cut the amount you send her! actions speak louder than words.

although you may have a hard time explaining why you still cashing big checks while many lose their jobs. after all say unemployment is 10% 90% still have their jobs.

Yes. It's the only way. Fortunately my next contracts are in Taiwan starting early next year and I'm coming home to Isaan next week.

It's time to have a little chat.

Tell her, what happens to the United States now is the same that happened to Thailand in 1997, only a 100 times bigger.

Hmmm . . . only a 100 times bigger?

Good one. Nice.

The UK is absolutely finished and I doubt will recover this time. Sad, but IMO true.

usa is the greatest country in the world

thailand is a backwater third world country

etc etc etc

No no, the USA is the richest country in the world... there is a significant difference.

Op, simply explain she will no longer be your wife if she doesn't buck up :o

It just takes "b@lls" tell her straight - enough is enough.

I think she understands. She fluent English, very bright and has always been careful with money really. But I fear times are about to get very tough. Tougher than many realise.

Sterling is also a basket case now which ain't helping matters.

Agree with Stephanie's point about LOS. Can't be much fun on $3 a day.

Direct talk often works best and if not listened to then clamp down on how much you give her in 1 month. Maybe it will take some time for her to re adjust to a new way so accpet some leeway?

I think many Thai people are aware of what is happening financially around the world therefore when you talk to her she might already be aware. She might not be aware that it is directly affecting you too and this is, obviously, the point you need to get across.

Yes, Thai newspapers will help.

Do you have the internet at the house? You could access that and show her the depth of what is happening?

Direct talk often works best and if not listened to then clamp down on how much you give her in 1 month. Maybe it will take some time for her to re adjust to a new way so accpet some leeway?

I think many Thai people are aware of what is happening financially around the world therefore when you talk to her she might already be aware. She might not be aware that it is directly affecting you too and this is, obviously, the point you need to get across.

Yes, Thai newspapers will help.

Do you have the internet at the house? You could access that and show her the depth of what is happening?

Yes have internet. I've not been hit by the meltdown (yet). I'm a haz mat guy, big contaminated land remediation projects (Oly games in London among others). It's my health this year that's really taken a turn for the worst. Really has reduced my earning power.

She'll come round to the idea. That new truck is definitely a no no right now. Mainly because of Sterling weakness, but also because of doubts about the future. I guess we are all worried.

:o

Here's a thought for the OP. Why not tell her to read a newspaper or watch the news?

Sorry to hear about the OP's health, wish you well.

If she don't listen to the news and get knowledge that way, I guess that living up there in Isaan she knows a little bit about farming, send her a picture of a winter tree with no leaves on, and tell her that the money have stopped groving.

Here's a thought for the OP. Why not tell her to read a newspaper or watch the news?

If she don't listen to the news and get knowledge that way, I guess that living up there in Isaan she knows a little bit about farming, send her a picture of a winter tree with no leaves on, and tell her that the money have stopped groving.

Sitting on the floor laughing........good one......hahahahahahahhahahaha........still laughing

The issue is not world ecconomics but family budgetting.

If you set the ground out such that money arrives from you without any understanding of how it is obtained, or agreement on how it is to be alloted and to be spent then I think you have made a rough bed for yourself.

A more pressing question to ask is how is the health of those you are supporting compared with your own?

Sitting on the floor laughing........good one......hahahahahahahhahahaha........still laughing

I use the TREE as an example everytime :D No more money. It does not grow on trees you know! :D

Tell her "You know when people are happy with Pad-thai, it probably have shrimps, tofu, chives, etc, but if you take out all the shrimps and the others ingredients. The only thing you have left is the noodle....and people are not happy...that's like the global markets. "