Importing A Catg To Bkk

sinep

I want to import a car to BKK but how do i register the car once in BKK I.E Changing Numberplates from English to Thai?

Don't do it!

I can give you several horror stories of people trying the same thing.

Sell your UK car and buy something here. Admitted the choice is more limited unless you have a very deep wallet.

What car is it you want to import?

I want to import a car to BKK but how do i register the car once in BKK I.E Changing Numberplates from English to Thai?

Don't do it!

Sell your UK car and buy something here. Admitted the choice is more limited unless you have a very deep wallet.

Probably a 1971 Ford Cortina MK3 1300 2 door basemodel :o

I see an early Cortina many times at my daughters school, maybe he wants to sell, but now it is school holiday for about one month so I cannot ask.

If you look hard enough, must things can be found here. Perhaps though, your Cortina has some sentimental value.

It's far easier to import if it's seen by the Thai authorities as having little or no value. Frankly though it will still cost a lot of money.

A few months ago I even spotted a Mk1 Capri here, in a dreadful state, but all can be rebuilt here at reasonable cost. I had one of these when I was in the UK, many years ago now, nice car, I really liked it.

I suggest have a good look round, that's fun in itself, you will be surprised what can be found!

Don't do it!

Probably a 1971 Ford Cortina MK3 1300 2 door basemodel :o

It seems like we do this "Can you help me, I want to import a car" each week. Could someone write a super article about the whole dam_n thing and it can become a sticky! Or put a big red flashing button at the top of the page with "Import car info here" on it! :o

His name is sinep, he's been a member since 2006 and now he's asking, in his second posting, about how to change registration plates on an imported car.

Suck my sinep!

Edited by Far Angst

His name is sinep, he's been a member since 2006 and now he's asking, in his second posting, about how to change registration plates on an imported car.

Suck my sinep!

Sorry if i had realised it was just about changing registratin plates not importing i would not have posted that silly reply about the mark 3 which pattyabuggy took seriously :D or does he spend all his time as a early 70's blue oval spotter, please read who is sending the replys. My answer should have been "a large screwdriver". BSJ's is the only sensible reply to this subject but if the inquirys keep coming i will have to keep thinking of stupid replys :o .

If u have all the custom documents ready, u go th Mo Chit, Ministery of Transportation. Your car get a engine number stamped in the engine block, usally similar with the VIN number and they will issue a blue book with new white plates in about 6 weeks. Really not a big deal! Cost all about 10'k

Thats as long as it passes all the environmental tests from the Ministry of Standards. Oh yeah, dont forget you have to pay excise taxes as well. All the above should not take more than a year or so, along with a few hundred thousand baht. Your car has little to no chance to pass the emissions test unless it is a new model (maybe within the last three years or so), with little to no use (say under 20,000 kilometers) and low horsepower. Always kills me to fight that battle for .0001 millegrams of NO2 while thinking of the busses on Ramkaemhang.

So to recap.

Emissions test

Excise Tax

Exact and correct paperwork from Customs

Permission to import documentation from Commerce ministry

Proper visa and work permit status to register vehicle