Shipping My Goods To Thailand

hi, have been lving in chiang rai province for a while, am i the uk for a couple of weeks - i just got a 1 year type o visa. i want to ship my personal effects to thaialnd, have 3 pallets with crates containing all the usual stuff - including a pc, cd and dvd player and a scanner - all used. can anyone tell me what i really need paperwork wise, i have made a list of ontents, bt not entirely as herea re hundreds of books, cloting etc?

Can't answer authoritatively (yet) but I know you're going to be asked for more information before those in-the-know can answer.

Like: do you have a work permit?, Are you married to a Thai? etc. As much info. as you are comfortable giving will help elicit informed responses.

Cheers and chok dee.

K.

You can ship what/how you like - as long as the contents are legal. The electronic stuff will attract interest and duty - maybe 10% of the declared/assessed value (including the shipping cost) + 7% VAT. As you may have seen if you have been looking at posts mentioning Thai Customs on here, they are essentially a law unto themselves - if "law" isn't an ironic term considering what they get up to. If I needed a first-hand reminder of that, I got it just last week when I went to CM Customs to pick up a package and they tried to fleece me for an extra 100% on top of what I should have paid and, finally, did pay.

Take a look at the following link and PM me if you want me to give you the name of the shipping agents at the UK and Chiang Mai ends that I used:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sharing-Smal...mp;hl=container

That thread is about container "groupage", but the same agents would be able to look after pallets/crates sent as one consignment - basically they'll just add it to another consignment to fill a container going to BKK. They will advise on the paperwork in detail, but I can tell you that you will almost certainly need to list the electronic items individually naming manufacturer and a reasonable value per item. For the books and clothes, it just needs to be "5 x boxes books", "3 x boxes clothes".

Whatever you do be careful, we recently shipped a dozen boxes to Thailand from abroad and whilst being messed around by customs about 'exactly' what was in the boxes, values, receipts etc we were informed that the storage fees were 300 baht per day whilst they were being held there. Taxes were applicable on everything except personal clothing.

Fortunately, my TG had resided outside Thailand for more than 12 months & therefore her property was exempt from such taxes & fortunately for me everything in the boxes were hers :o . But as a word of warning, once things start going round and round one would be forgiven in thinking where is all of this going to stop?

i only have a type o visa, not a work permit - can i do things this way? maybe if i leave out the eletrical stuff - or is there any other option?

Looking at steve2uk's email I would dump the electronic stuff. Last year I loaded up 2 big suitcases with stuff including a computer (cpu only no monitor brought it because it had lots of business/work stuff on it). It depends on the airline how they do the weight and how many bags you can have. Just watch the weight or they will nail you for it. Check your airlines website for info. The only overweight charge I had was for AirAsia to Ubon.

If I remember correctly the duty for books is not very high.

Just a little advise on what you can do with electronic stuff to avoid customs. Never have been stopped by customs here.

There is no way to ship duty free in your case.

It is a pity you did not ask before you left Thailand.

The best thing is to contact a local Thai agent, tell them what you are shipping

and they should be able to arrange a "fixed" fee for importing your goods.

It is then up to you to decide if it is worth it.

I detailed packing list is generally all that is needed.

You could save a bit of money on the computer by taking the power supply out if you are taking it in you luggage allowance. It would be cheaper to buy new ps there. or if y ou really want to save just take the Motherboard with cpu and memory and the hard drive and get the rest there. Much less bulk too.

Do you really need the items?

Clothes for the UK are generally too thick and hot for Thailand.

Buy a new computer, and get the latest model.

DVD players are dirt cheap and may have more features, Any Region/DIVX etc.

Give it some thought. :o

I shipped 17 boxes of personal possessions from the UK to Thailand in April this year... I used the UK company Simpsons Removal and Storage ltd. ( based in Dartford, Kent ). They arrived on time at my address in North london, took my pre packed boxes, (Though they do supply boxes and pack your stuff for you if you need that done), and delivered them to my Thailand address about eleven weeks later. The consignment included a desktop computer and peripherals, Books, a collection of miniature figures, glassware and other items. Everything arrived intact, the computer booted up happily first try, none of the glasses were broken, and nothing was missing from the consignment. At the Thailand end, the customs clearance and delivery was handled by a company called United re-locations Ltd, (0849178899)and their customs fixer negotiated a low duty fee for the computer peripherals that came to about 900 baht. That was the only duty that I had to pay, as I entered Thailand on a full O/A non immigrant visa, and therefore all my household goods were exempt from duty, with the exception of any electrical goods after the first Item, (Which I designated as the computer itself). Books don't carry any import duty in Thailand.

I paid for insurance, and had no need to make a claim. I was very happy with the service, my quote from Simpsons was accurate and actual, even though I had to revise the number of boxes to be sent several times. The quote was based on giving the dimensions and weight of the bozes... no complex volumetric computations involved. The service was arranged at the last minute, and had there been any delays it could have proved disasterous. In the event, there were none.

I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend Simpsons to anyone contemplating shipping goods to Thailand. They can be contacted on www.simpsons-uk.com or 44(0)1322386969

Murg

It sounds like you're not that bothered by the electronic stuff, so it could be helpful to drop it out of the equation. Except that you now mention "bikes"? Are we talking high-value sports/mountain bikes?

Murgatroyd's route sounds worth considering. Above all, you have got to get a reliable Mr Fix-it customs agent at the Thai end - or Thai Customs will stitch you up like you can't imagine. IMO, most UK shippers (with experience of dealing with part-loads and or household goods) are capable of getting your stuff from you and sending it on its way - particularly as you seem to have already sorted out the packing.

P.S. I just looked at the Simpsons website and their "Excess Baggage" online quote system looks very well suited for what you describe (so far)....... even including bike packing cartons. You will STILL need a Mr Fix-it for the Thai end to clear your consignment through customs and put it on the road to your address in Chiang Rai.

Edited by Steve2UK

you don't have to worry about anything. just declare it as personal belongings. you have a non - O visa. they won't ask why u want to bring it to Thailand with you. just itemised your belongings as you will be asked on your way out of Thailand if you intend to bring along your things with you back to UK.

hi, have been lving in chiang rai province for a while, am i the uk for a couple of weeks - i just got a 1 year type o visa. i want to ship my personal effects to thaialnd, have 3 pallets with crates containing all the usual stuff - including a pc, cd and dvd player and a scanner - all used. can anyone tell me what i really need paperwork wise, i have made a list of ontents, bt not entirely as herea re hundreds of books, cloting etc?

Whoever you use make sure you have the boxes shipped 'door to door' and not 'door to port'. I've heard good things about the company Murgatroyd recomends and a friend of mine used a company called Seven Seas from the to UK. The price was reasonable and there was no duty to pay at the Thai end. It took about six weeks for them to arrive. This was after I had previously made the mistake of having my things sent to the port in Bangkok for me to collect, it cost me over £150 in tea money/duties to get my stuff out. Just make sure itemize everything you're sending.

Edited by sumrit

This was after I had previously made the mistake of having my things sent to the port in Bangkok for me to collect, it cost me over £150 in tea money/duties to get my stuff out. Just make sure itemize everything you're sending.

A Thai clearing agent is ESSENTIAL.

umm, i could drop the electrics - yes high quality, used mtb and road bikes - 5 in one catron 1/1m!

i tird seven seas and anopther company - 5 tea cartons and 2 bike boxes were over £700, and an 8x8ft container £1500, will look at thai clearing agents etc and see what's posible. i should of got the biz visa - at hull it semed all so easy..

This was after I had previously made the mistake of having my things sent to the port in Bangkok for me to collect, it cost me over £150 in tea money/duties to get my stuff out. Just make sure itemize everything you're sending.

A Thai clearing agent is ESSENTIAL.

I used a Thai clearing agent, it was them that refused to do anything unless I gave them the 11,000+ baht and as they were the named agent customs said they would only release my goods through them!

The UK shipping company had told me they had contacted a Thai company who would contact me and organize everything once the goods had arrived in Thailand. Being ripped off for more than 11,000 baht was the result. And the UK company was more expensive than Seven Seas provided to my friends for their door to door service.

i should of got the biz visa - at hull it semed all so easy..

That would not have helped.

The WP and one year extension is the key.

Astral, the Thai customs website says:

" In case where the non-immigrant visa (read one year extension of stay) has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted:

(2.1) The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or

(2.2) The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

Looks like it can be done without an annual extension of stay, just the WP?

Moved 7 Boxes 30x30 to thailand this year on a o/a visa used agent in uk to send by air to chiang mai,customs phoned me to say they had arrived took 2 days after we left to be put on flight .We had to negotiate at customs to get them released went from 20,000 B down to 2,000 B after we got a well connected thai friend involved.Cost of sending from uk 700GBP.If you have to go to customs to collect always take a thai with you.We went on our own and had to do all negotiating with our friend over the telephone.

• 6 months later...

I plan on getting the retirement visa (O/A multi-entry, I believe?). No work permit.

The only electronics I want to bring are about a dozen pieces of vintage audio gear, and a fool-proof voltage converter.

That and probably a ton of cd's, tapes, vinyl. I should expect the media will be treated like books, duty-free?

I should expect to pay 10% of the "current market value" of the vintage gear and 10% on the shipping? And a 7% VAT charge on top?

Sorry, maybe that's a bunch of seperate questions.

I'm thrilled though, somehow I got the impression that I would have to pay duty on the original value (MSRP) when it was aquired. That would be about $800 for each piece, in 1970's dollars.

I can leave the rest of the personal posessions behind with my sister, but this gear was hard to assemble and is probably unobtainium in LOS. :o

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by globalmenace

I have a lot of expensive crystal back in the UK - Swarovski, Waterford, Webb Corbett. Some of it I bought, some I was given as presents, and a large chunk was inherited. This stuff has got a lot of personal attachments and memories, and although it is in the UK at the moment, sooner or later I expect that I will want to bring it to Thailand. I'm not sure of the total value of all the crystal, but it would be well over £10,000 if I had to buy it new (a lot of the Waterford is unique, and so could not be replaced).

Does this sort of thing attract duty if you import it into Thailand? Thanks for any advice. :o

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know of any reliable movers from the USA?

I have some items stored at my friends house in Florida and would like them shipped to me in Phuket. A number of boxes, large computer, clothes and books. I need a company that would go in and repack them for me as they were not originally packed for shipping, just for storage.

Thanks Jorja