Non-oa Questions

I am Canadian, 56, planning on returning to Thailand later this year where I have visited several times before, hoping to stay this time for about 4 months when I go there in December. Eventually in a few years I am hoping to live 6 months there and 6 months in Canada. I had considered enrolling in the Walen school in BKK this time which would allow me a 1-year visa but have now decided to apply for a retirement (OA) visa as I have an adequate pension that would allow me to take that route. At some point in the future, I also want to set up a Thai company to buy/start up a business there which would allow me to obtain a work permit. It appears from other recent posts I have read here that it may be possible to get a work permit with a non-OA visa. If it is possible for me to set up a Thai company and obtain a work permit with a non-OA visa, are there pros/cons to me doing that instead of switching to a non-B visa?

It is possible to work on a retirement visa again, that said not all labour offices seem to allow it (yet). So it would also depend on where you will apply for the WP.

If you can't get a WP, you could still apply for an extension of stay based on your company, although that would not be as easy as for a retirement visa. It requires a lot more paperwork, especialy for a new to form company. If the company doesn't work out, you could always apply again for an extension of stay based on retirement.

I see you took my advise.

Everybody please note that he is talking about a NON-OA.

Is their any difference between this visa issued by a consulate and a non-o extension issued by immigration here regarding his questions.

Edited by ubonjoe

I just received the visa application package (specifically for non-OA) from the Thai Consulate here in Canada and the instructions include the following:

Under Section 1. QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE APPLICANT, subsection 1.6 says:

"Not being allowed to work in Thailand."

that doesn't sound too promising.. :o

It is possible to work on a retirement visa again, that said not all labour offices seem to allow it (yet). So it would also depend on where you will apply for the WP.

If you can't get a WP, you could still apply for an extension of stay based on your company, although that would not be as easy as for a retirement visa. It requires a lot more paperwork, especialy for a new to form company. If the company doesn't work out, you could always apply again for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Thats on the visa application also. You can ignore that.

The safe route is to get the retirement visa set up a company and get (or try to get) a work permit. After company is set up with work permit you can switch to a non-b visa if need be.

You say you got the package from the consulate. You have get physical, police report and etc. right.

Another option is to apply for a non-o visa and extend it here for a year. To do this you would need to put the 800,000 in the bank here unless you can do the proof of income route. After you get the one year extension you can apply for a multiple entry permit and come and go as much as you want until the extension expires.

Edited by ubonjoe

Think twice.

If you have the necessary funds income/deposit to meet the OA requirements why not sit back and enjoy life.

Starting a Thai company means investment, in these uncertain times, and a whole lot of hassle. :o

I'm interested in something not only to occupy my time - or at least part of it.. but also the time of a particular SO (significant other) who is Thai and much younger than myself... I also intend on spending a very reasonable amount of time on enjoying life, which for me can include being involved in some kind of business there, mixed with an adequate amount of pleasure, of course :D

Think twice.

If you have the necessary funds income/deposit to meet the OA requirements why not sit back and enjoy life.

Starting a Thai company means investment, in these uncertain times, and a whole lot of hassle. :o

My ignore statment. Better to of said don't be concerned with this it may not apply.

In some countries and locations getting a police report can be problematic. I was just giving another option.

From your reply to astral it's possible that you could be obtaining another type of O visa in the future and the reason for that type of O has different rules for setting up a company and getting a work permit.

Enjoy Life and good luck.

Joe

Edited by ubonjoe

...Well, I can see ignoring that, but the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs website states:

Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working.

Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493 ...

Until very recently the Labour Department did not issue work permits to foreigners whose permission to stay was based on a retirement visa or retirement extension and in some provinces the labour depapartment still does not do it. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is not know for updating its website frequently regarding matters outside its own competence such as work permits.

--

Maestro