Alcohol Ban

dalstonbill

jdinasia and bendix,who in hel_l! do you think you are !

Who do I think I am? I am JD and in Thailand, not Canada :o I also don't think that the few days of banning alcohol in a year is a problem :D

Who are you other than someone that can't manage to spell or use his CAPS lock correctly on a regular basis?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jdinasia and bendix,who in hel_l! do you think you are !

I don't know who jdinasia thinks he is (perhaps he can share his thoughts on that).

I think I'm bendix.

Who the hel_l are you?

I concur, I too think that you think that you are bendix.

I reckon you should be hired by TAT, you obviously have the in_sufficient qualifications to be both a lawyer and a tourism master, but then again, who gives a shit mate as long as there are no tourists here and you can go to bar and regain your old charm with the ladies.

But for someone who obvously doesn't give a shit about this subject (booze ban remember), you sure spend alot of time in this tread.

Are you on the booze a bit early today, james?

A lawyer? What does being a lawyer or not have to do with anything? Insufficient qualifications to be a lawyer? I dont understand. I have never been a lawyer, never claimed to be a lawyer and never wanted to be a lawyer. I do, though, have a law degree. Does that count? It was doing the degree that made me not want to be one.

As for going to the bar to regain my old charm? My dear befuddled chap, you really are confused. Bars are boring. I wander in for a beer once or twice a week, but have no interest in being charming to ladies. I'm married, you see, and very happily.

No booze yet there Bendix, but reading your replies has me thinking about it for sure. As for your vow of celebacy, good on ya, must be the only married man in Bangkok who is faithful (except me of course) :o

I think the main problem will be the affect this has on Tourism.

Chalerm has been quoted as saying that he is thinking specifically of banning alcohol over New Year, many Tourists will reconsider a Thai holiday spanning the festive season if he knows that he can’t celebrate with wine at dinner or beer with his hamburger – depending on the status of the tourist.

Tourism is a major Foreign Exchange earner for Thailand and New Year is right in the middle of the High Season – the effects on the number of tourists will be significant.

Patrick

I know of a tour group of ten people who came to Pattaya at the "wrong time" last year. and for one reason or another, they couldn't get a drink for 6 out of the 10 days they were here. They were mightily pissed off and vowed never to return. And no doubt upon their return home they will tell their friends, and their friends will tell their friends, and the word will spread. This is just one group.

None of these bans affect us locals, as where will know where to go to drink, and where to buy our booze , and of course we have our own homes to party in, should we wish to.

Right now, Pattaya is in deep recession, the worst it's ever been according to long time residents - and this is the start of the "high season". My wife runs a hair dressing salon in Central Pattaya, and even in the off season back in February/ March she was making good money, from Thais and farangs alike, and then the months of may - Aug showed a steady decline in business. Last month she had to use her own money to pay the rent and wages for the first time ever, and now business is almost at a stand still. It's not just her place - everywhere people are wringing their hands and going out of business. There are no tourists, to speak of.

Now the alcohol rules are not solely to blame for this situation. There are many reasons, as we all know so well, but I can't help feeling that once it becomes known that booze will be banned on all public holidays - including New Year, then it will certainly be the final nail in the tourist coffin for Pattaya. I can't say about other cities, but it will undoubtedly have a marked effect.

I know of a tour group of ten people who came to Pattaya at the "wrong time" last year. and for one reason or another, they couldn't get a drink for 6 out of the 10 days they were here. They were mightily pissed off and vowed never to return. And no doubt upon their return home they will tell their friends, and their friends will tell their friends, and the word will spread. This is just one group.

None of these bans affect us locals, as where will know where to go to drink, and where to buy our booze , and of course we have our own homes to party in, should we wish to.

Right now, Pattaya is in deep recession, the worst it's ever been according to long time residents - and this is the start of the "high season". My wife runs a hair dressing salon in Central Pattaya, and even in the off season back in February/ March she was making good money, from Thais and farangs alike, and then the months of may - Aug showed a steady decline in business. Last month she had to use her own money to pay the rent and wages for the first time ever, and now business is almost at a stand still. It's not just her place - everywhere people are wringing their hands and going out of business. There are no tourists, to speak of.

Now the alcohol rules are not solely to blame for this situation. There are many reasons, as we all know so well, but I can't help feeling that once it becomes known that booze will be banned on all public holidays - including New Year, then it will certainly be the final nail in the tourist coffin for Pattaya. I can't say about other cities, but it will undoubtedly have a marked effect.

Please document where said ban is proposed for all public holidays!

6 out of 10 days? LOL ... 4 was the max I have seen and that was NOT inside of 10 days. it was 14 .. due to the elections and then the run-offs 14 days later

Can you document where the alcohol rules had ANYTHING to do with any recession experienced in pattaya? in fact didn't you say "once it is known..." ?

bkkjames ---- you need to work on your vocabulary a bit .... 'celebacy'?

sorry mate, one two many cocktails at lunch... :o

I think you might have meant fidelity, Chamlong is the only married guy that I know of that has taken a vow/oath of celibacy.

Yeah, i have to weigh in on this too.

Mobi . . you can't make a statement about a group of friends not getting alcohol in Pattaya for six days out of ten. I simply do not believe it's true (an exageration, perhaps, or an urban myth unchallenged), but I defy you to name the period and the reasons for the dry six days in that ten day period.

Utter utter nonsense

bkkjames ---- you need to work on your vocabulary a bit .... 'celebacy'?

sorry mate, one two many cocktails at lunch... :o

I think you might have meant fidelity, Chamlong is the only married guy that I know of that has taken a vow/oath of celibacy.

Well, the way Bender preaches to everyone, and combined with the fact he said he was happily married, perhaps he does qualify (or should) :D

To set the table, I rarely drink (maybe a glass of wine a month), so I personally could care less if alcohol is banned.  And I grant that the Thai government can do whatever they want with regards to extending the number of days where alcohol is not available.

But posters who think this will have no affect on tourism are not really living in reality.  A tourist who comes here for a week wants to relax and enjoy himself or herself. That may include a glass of wine with dinner, a cocktail on the beach, or yes, loads of beer at a bar.  It this tourist cannot get a drink for one, two, or three days, he or she is going to be upset and form a bad opinion on the degree of how tourist-friendly Thailand really is. He or she will probably not return and will rather pick other destinations (look at how hard Malaysia is courting the tourist trade right now.)  And this upset tourist will tell his or her friends at home, the travel agent who booked the ticket, and maybe the local papers or travel forums.  So not only will this person not return, but he or she will convince others not to come.

Yes, there a a mulitude of ways to enjoy Thailand without drinking. But most tourists, I dare say, do not want to go to places where their choices are limited, and limiting alcohol sales will affect the industry.  So if the Thai government wants to place more days on the alcohol banned list, then they should do that with full knowledge of the deleterious effect that will have on tourism.

Personally, I think it is odd that alcohol is somehow OK for some days, but not for others. If alcohol is bad, then it should be banned on all days. If it is OK for use, then it should not be banned. You can make arguements for or against alcohol use, but whatever your conclusion, I don't see how on any given day it is OK to use it, then the next day it is not OK because that day has a religious or national implication.

ummmm .. how long have you been in Thailand? These are NOT new rules. In fact in the years that I have been here they have added 2 drinking days, in the past you were not able to buy alcohol on father's day and mother's day but that changed 3 years ago. So ... if the alcohol sales ban is so bad and so deleterious to tourism It would have had its affect years and years ago.

I doubt the "Pattaya single male" tourist as described earlier in the thread is gonna raise much stink about not being able to go to a disco one night of his vacation :o

--------------------------------

For jack who can't manage reality about my personal drinking habits, I encourage you to search the forums for non-alcohol related things to do in Pattaya including cultural shows and events. It isn't as if it hasn't been covered, from concerts to Alankarn to temple fairs to night markets .....

but jack, your resentment towards people that don't drink and problem drinkers seems to be an issue, check with one of the forum sponsors and they might be able to help!

I have been in Thailand long enough, but I believe this thread is in response to Chalerm's comments about banning alcohol sales on religious and public holidays (if it is not about that, then my bust.).  No, I don't think not being able to drink for one day will affect tourism that much.  But multiple days in a row or many different days during a short period of someone's vacation, well, that is different.  If someone comes here at teh wrong time and is in Thailand for 6 days, and he or she can't drink or go to a bar for three of them, yes, I do thanik that will affect tourism.

Please document where said ban is proposed for all public holidays!

6 out of 10 days? LOL ... 4 was the max I have seen and that was NOT inside of 10 days. it was 14 .. due to the elections and then the run-offs 14 days later

Can you document where the alcohol rules had ANYTHING to do with any recession experienced in pattaya? in fact didn't you say "once it is known..." ?

JD, You're getting you knickers in a bit of twist aren't you? :o

BANGKOK: -- Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung yesฌterday launched his camฌpaign to ban alcohol sales on public holidays.

Drinking leads to crime and road accidents, resulting in death and injuries, Chalerm said, citing a 2006 report that 31 per cent, or 16 million, of the population were drinkers. Nine million of them drink alcohol on a regular basis.

He assigned the Disease Control Department to consider invoking Article 28 of the Alcohol Beverage Control Act of 2008, which proฌhibits the sale of alcohol on days desฌignated by ministerial regulations.

The regulation should be issued in one month and include public holidays such as New Year's Day, Songkran and religious holidays, Chalerm said.

Dr Saman Futrakul, head of the department's tobacco and alcohol consumption control group, said the regulation had been drafted and submitted to deputy permanent secฌretary Paijit Warachit.

After getting the National Alcohol Consumption Control Committee's approval, the regulaฌtion would need to get Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat's sign off and then it would be published in the Royal Gazette for implemenฌtation.

Violators would face up to six months in jail and/or up to a Bt10,000 fine.

The regulation would also proฌhibit liquor sales from 11am2pm and 5pmmidnight every day, except by those with the authority's perฌmission.

Chalerm also put the permanent secretary and Medical Services Department chief in charge of two projects.

One plan would make Thailand an AsiaPacific medical hub by selecting high potential hospitals - one in Bangkok and one in each major tourist city - within one month.

The other plan would expand the successful model of the integration of medical and drugrehabilitation policies in Sa Kaew to other provinces.

-- The Nation 2008-10-03

As for the 6 in ten days - well maybe it's right, maybe it was exaggerated. Don't forget there are local booze bans for various reasons that are not duplicated nationally.

I'm sorry JD and Bendix, but I'm not about to spend time researching the precise period to prove my point, so let's say for the sake of argument it was 4 out of 14,( even though I know it was more than that).

Whatever - my point is the same. They WERE pissed off , and they WON'T be back.

Doesn't bother me - I couldn't give two hoots how many days a year they ban booze. I am simply stating the obvious fact that more and more tourists will get pissed off with all these booze free days, pass the word around and won't be back.

Now, how about untwisting your knickers and have a nice bottle of Chang? :D

Personally, I think it is odd that alcohol is somehow OK for some days, but not for others. If alcohol is bad, then it should be banned on all days. If it is OK for use, then it should not be banned. You can make arguements for or against alcohol use, but whatever your conclusion, I don't see how on any given day it is OK to use it, then the next day it is not OK because that day has a religious or national implication.

What is your home country? Does it have licencing laws? Are the bars open 24 hours a day, seven days a week?

No, I thought now.

OK, so now explain the difference please.

Exactly what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? 

If you really need to know, my home country is the US, and in my town, bars can be open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week should they so desire, and grocers and 7-11's can sell alcohol every hour and every day of the week. And yes, bars need an alcohol license. But what, pray tell, do US laws have to do with either the effect that a Thai ban on sales on certain days would have on tourism or my own personal belief that either a full prohibition or full access is logical but a partial ban on certain days is not logical? My personal belief is just that, personal. While I drink very little, I don't propose prohibition, so I think it is silly to ban sales on certain days. But the main point of my post is that I believe banning alcohol sales on too many days will affect tourism.

You want me to "explain the difference?" Explain that the US is different than Thailand? Of course it is. But US laws are really not relevant to my post.

Your posts usually follow some degree of logic whether I agree with them or don't, but this time, I don't see how your post has any relevance to either my post or the topic at hand.

Anyway, what's the big deal. Alcohol is already banned on religious holidays. It's only a year or so ago that the ban on selling on Royal holidays was lifted. What other holidays are there? Songkran and Jan 1st?

If you've been in Thailand more than four weeks you will know that politicians have a habit here of thinking aloud in the press, with absolutely no intention to turn words into actions.

All stuff and nonsense.

(Caveat: I fully support a ban on selling alcohol on every day of the year, if it means Pattaya goes bankrupt)

Anyway, what's the big deal. Alcohol is already banned on religious holidays. It's only a year or so ago that the ban on selling on Royal holidays was lifted. What other holidays are there? Songkran and Jan 1st?

If you've been in Thailand more than four weeks you will know that politicians have a habit here of thinking aloud in the press, with absolutely no intention to turn words into actions.

All stuff and nonsense.

(Caveat: I fully support a ban on selling alcohol on every day of the year, if it means Pattaya goes bankrupt)

Although we agree on Pattaya, i disagree with your method to get rid of it. But back on the topic, I would suggest that certain people making this statements via the press are doing so scare the booze community into what??? More free cases at New Years?

Yes, this is true. And I don't think this is about to go into effect. Then again, I didn't think they would ban street food on Mondays or close bars at midnight, either. (As far as I am concerned, I would rather have had them rescind the ban on Monday street food rather than rescind the midnight closing.)

Yes, this is true. And I don't think this is about to go into effect. Then again, I didn't think they would ban street food on Mondays or close bars at midnight, either. (As far as I am concerned, I would rather have had them rescind the ban on Monday street food rather than rescind the midnight closing.)

Why would you possibly want this? Surely a ban on street food on Monday saves many more people than early closing hours.

Exactly what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Not a lot, but as were are digressing, I recently went to The Philippines as a tourist and it was a pleasure to find that I could drink 24/7 if I so wanted, and that there are plenty of bars that are open 24/7, should I wish to indulge at 4.a.m.

Even in the UK now, the new licensing laws make it possible for bars to open all hours - and I am sure that if there were/are tourist strips like in Pattaya and Bangkok, there would be no legal impediments to the pubs in opening 24/7.

What a change around. When I first came to BKK in the early 70's I was surprised and delighted by the laws that allowed Sunday shopping and that you could get a beer almost anywhere, 24/7 - so different to restrictive England where shops had to close on Sundays and the pubs were closed in the afternoon and at 10.30 at night.

And now it's becoming a complete reversal.

For those who think that increasing the already restrictive alcohol rules will not affect tourism are totally deluding themselves.

JD I would imagine that a vast majority of the tourists who come to Pattaya came for two reasons. Sex and Booze. And don't forget that on alcohol free days, most if not all the bars are closed, so there is a scarcity of girls as well. Like it or hate it, it is fact, and for you to ask me to provide proof that banning alcohol will affect the tourist numbers in Pattaya is a joke - and I think you know it.

Have another Chang :o

Note ----

New Years day (not Eve)

Songkran? who knows

etc.

However that will obviously never pass (for various reasons not limited to the fact that the current government will not be in power in a month as well as the wording of what was said .. it was political grandstanding)

He assigned the Disease Control Department to consider invoking Article 28 of the Alcohol Beverage Control Act of 2008, which proฌhibits the sale of alcohol on days desฌignated by ministerial regulations.

Now ... We all know that if your friends were in town for 10 days they could not have been affected for more than 3 days max(and far more likely only 2 days -- less than 1/2 what you claimed) ... and that they could have had all they wanted to drink during that time.

We also know that you will not be able to find any evidence that the alcohol bans that have been present in Thailand for as long as I can remember have adversely affected tourism.

Bono --- sorry doll but comparing tourism to tourism is valid, I assume you live in Las Vegas since it is one of the few places where they sell pretty much 24/7. Much of the US not only limits sales of alcohol through retail outlets but also through bars and there are MANY places in the US where it is 'dry' and no alcohol is sold at all or only to members of private clubs. So your example must be intended to obfuscate the issue --- alcohol laws by state (not municipality which can further limit sales including banning sales) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_...States_by_state

Why would you possibly want this? Surely a ban on street food on Monday saves many more people than early closing hours.

I can't get my nam soom or the occassional bawmee giao on Mondays!  :o

Not a lot, but as were are digressing, I recently went to The Philippines as a tourist and it was a pleasure to find that I could drink 24/7 if I so wanted, and that there are plenty of bars that are open 24/7, should I wish to indulge at 4.a.m.

Not the greatest supporting argument Mobi, particularly considering bars are closed in the Philippines on religious holidays which such as Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas day.

But, hey, those aren't particularly popular public holidays, are they?

Bono --- sorry doll but comparing tourism to tourism is valid, I assume you live in Las Vegas since it is one of the few places where they sell pretty much 24/7. Much of the US not only limits sales of alcohol through retail outlets but also through bars and there are MANY places in the US where it is 'dry' and no alcohol is sold at all or only to members of private clubs. So your example must be intended to obfuscate the issue --- alcohol laws by state (not municipality which can further limit sales including banning sales) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_laws_...States_by_state

I had no "example," so how could I be trying to obfuscate anything? Bendix asked me where I am from and whether there were limiting regulations in selling alcohol there.  So I was not giving an example but merely answering a question.

But even if I was from a dry county in the US or Iran, for that matter, that would have no bearing on either the topic nor my post. We are discussing a potential increase in alcohol-free days in Thailand, not the US nor any other nation.

Not the greatest supporting argument Mobi, particularly considering bars are closed in the Philippines on religious holidays which such as Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas day.

Public yes, popular, well I guess that depends who's holding the steak and hammer (ale).

Well I'm doing my best to stem the tide of moralistic zeal that seems to be engulfing this thread :D

At least they are open 24/7 on all the other days.

I wonder if Angeles City is exempt from these rules? :o

Note ----

New Years day (not Eve)

Songkran? who knows

etc.

However that will obviously never pass (for various reasons not limited to the fact that the current government will not be in power in a month as well as the wording of what was said .. it was political grandstanding)

Now ... We all know that if your friends were in town for 10 days they could not have been affected for more than 3 days max(and far more likely only 2 days -- less than 1/2 what you claimed) ... and that they could have had all they wanted to drink during that time.

We also know that you will not be able to find any evidence that the alcohol bans that have been present in Thailand for as long as I can remember have adversely affected tourism.

Bit of an incoherent ramble.......

When I post the source you dismiss it...

you claim that tourists know where to go during alcohol free days......

Grasping at straws....?

Have another Chang :o