New Gps For My Bike, Ideas?

Bard

Since my wife have figured out she needs my current GPS in the car, I will need to get a new one for my bike, from reading into it from GT-Riders the suggestion from there was to get the Garmin GPS Map 60CSx, which is completely weatherproof and was according to the site superior in planning trips plus battery life (18 hours) for the times you want to bring it along on foot.

Any other ideas?

bard(rayong racer) i think its better for those guys because they play offroad a lot so can plot the side tracks better. not sure for normal roads.

i'm thinking of the Garmin 310 cos its got bluetooth then just stick it in the top of me tank bag.

allan

Since my wife have figured out she needs my current GPS in the car, I will need to get a new one for my bike, from reading into it from GT-Riders the suggestion from there was to get the Garmin GPS Map 60CSx, which is completely weatherproof and was according to the site superior in planning trips plus battery life (18 hours) for the times you want to bring it along on foot.

Any other ideas?

Go for the Zumo 550 with a bluetooth helmet headset.Waterproof,Bluetooth and touchscreen.Accepts a 4Gb Sd-card on which you can load 1000 songs.Comes with motorbike and car mount so you can switch easy.Not the cheapest solution but very satisfying.

bas as far as i'm aware the main difference between the zumo and the 310 is the zumo is waterproof. thats what clingfilm or ziplock bags do as well :o then not so expensive.

granted the zumo does look like a nice tool but 13,900baht for the 310 or 41,000 baht for the zumo......wow

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

bas as far as i'm aware the main difference between the zumo and the 310 is the zumo is waterproof. thats what clingfilm or ziplock bags do as well :D then not so expensive.

granted the zumo does look like a nice tool but 13,900baht for the 310 or 41,000 baht for the zumo......wow

Allan

Hi Allan,

I was really keen on getting the 310 because it's a great deal and as you say it's pretty easy to waterproof it in a zip bag. Found usable mounts for it for a bike as well... And since I only use it on the road it makes a lot of sense, checked out the Zumo but as you say it is very expensive, can buy lots of zip bags for the price difference.

See you found me on other forums as well :o

bas as far as i'm aware the main difference between the zumo and the 310 is the zumo is waterproof. thats what clingfilm or ziplock bags do as well :D then not so expensive.

Allan

Hi Allan,

I was really keen on getting the 310 because it's a great deal and as you say it's pretty easy to waterproof it in a zip bag. Found usable mounts for it for a bike as well... And since I only use it on the road it makes a lot of sense, checked out the Zumo but as you say it is very expensive, can buy lots of zip bags for the price difference.

I ordered a brand new Zumo 55o on Ebay for 420 euro.Plenty of them available around that price.

Allan

Hi Allan,

I ordered a brand new Zumo 55o on Ebay for 420 euro.Plenty of them available around that price.

That's very decent price there, did you get the Thai maps with it or did you buy them in Thailand? I aksed ESRI and they want 7000,- Baht for the maps which is a rip off deluxe...

yep found ya...... :o

i saw that mount mod off the redundant mirror mount that was clever and cheap. i also liked that tail box mod using the rear seat pad. i think it has the manufacturers label on the bottom wonder if we can just buy the plastic base. also the mod with the seat...i spent a lot of hrs the other nite looking could not sleep.lol

i'm thinking put it in the map pocket on top of me tank bag.. then super easy :D

allan

420euro= 19,750 +7,000= 26,750 baht thats still bloody expensive. but yes it is a nice bit of kit. dont forget we in thailand have to pay more for delivery and then if they tax you on it. god forbid it cost me 748baht on product valued at 2230 baht.

and knowing this lot they will tax ya on the Thai price.

allan

Edited by thaicbr

420euro +7,000 baht thats still bloody expensive. but yes it is a nice bit of kit.

Hope he got it for 420 Euro plus a 100 baht deal installation somewhere in the Kingdom... If that I would go for it...

Hehe sleepless looking, I know that one, supposed to work now and you can see how busy I am :o There are a lot of clever people with the bike who had great DIY solutions which is pretty great, good sharing community. The GPS mount was clever and I also liked the luggage solution, the seat is pretty cheap I believe, so I think I will go for a DIY like that when I finally get back from work.

Got a price for a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx with the Garmin map for Thailand including shipping to my door for 16.890,- Baht which is about 9.000,- Baht cheaper than the best price I found in Thailand, and only about 3k more than the 310... I read that the mapping software where you plan your trip and upload is not included with the 310, is that correct Allan? In that case the 60 seems like a good deal.

Here is another option for waterproof rugged including the ESRI V 8 maps Garmin eTrex Legend HCx costing 16,900,- Baht in Thailand with the maps installed from here http://www.gadgetrend.com/gps_etrexlegendhcx.php they also sell RAM mounts for motorbikes for most Garmins... Not that bad deal, looooong battery life as well...

Bard,do a search on TV classifieds,there is a brandnew Garmin 310 including he Thai maps advertised for 11.900 Baht.

Allan

Hi Allan,

That's very decent price there, did you get the Thai maps with it or did you buy them in Thailand? I aksed ESRI and they want 7000,- Baht for the maps which is a rip off deluxe...

12 months ago it was 14000 baht ! :D

Bard i thought you could plan it and upload. its the 200 series that can't but i may and proberly am wrong.lol

I think what he wanted to say is that the Thai map can't be opened in Mapsource,but with some knowledge it can be converted in a Mapsource compatible map.

Thanks basjke, that was exactly what I ment.

Regarding the ESRI Maps you can get them on the "net" also not that I would ever promote something like that.

I got a lot of cool options here now and I will sit down and digest while I am working, and prbably buy something totally irrational in the end I suspect.

I like the price of the 310

I like the Zumo for it's value added extras

I like the 60Cx for it's portability, so I can stick it in my pocket when I arrive

So that is what I am playing with of options now...

i defo like the price of the 310. cos i'm a cheap charlie. saw a water proof bag on gadget trend that allows you to connect cables and still stay waterproof.

so i think with my ltd budget this may be the way to go.

allan

OK guys,

Did my decision today, it ended up with the Garmin GPSMap 60Cx with Ram motorbike mounts and ESRI maps, why?

Well I can also use it on my mountainbike plus when I go out on boat trips, fits in my pocket and since the GT Rider guys find it a very good choice from there wild testing it must be a good unit.

So it's on it's way in the mail. Will post out my test results of the unit when I get home and get it tested out.

Cheers Bard

OK guys,

Did my decision today, it ended up with the Garmin GPSMap 60Cx with Ram motorbike mounts and ESRI maps, why?

Well I can also use it on my mountainbike plus when I go out on boat trips, fits in my pocket and since the GT Rider guys find it a very good choice from there wild testing it must be a good unit.

So it's on it's way in the mail. Will post out my test results of the unit when I get home and get it tested out.

Cheers Bard

Good Luck with your choice Bard.Now get hold of a Cardo Scala Bluetooth Headset and a good Helmet.It's worth the money many times.

Edited by basjke

i would be interested to hear your comments on it but the bluetooth aint no use with this as the 60 aint got bluetooth.

but i suppose you could use a headset.

allan

Hi Allan,

I thought about the bluetooth and headset for a moment, and here is my personal experience with my old unit and the bluetooth.

It annoyed the shit out of me, stupid voice nagging me for turning when you couldn't and just nagging me nuts. In the car I turned off the entire voice crap, a little look at the screen tells me all anyway so only reason why I have the fm headset is that it's stereo and plays very nice music from my iPhone.

The voice was like having my wife on the bike, so no thanks it sucks enough in my car. I coinsidered it for a while and just though why? I never use it anyway...

I am really keen on testing out the unit and I will write up a test report when done, will do a trip in really nowhere and supposedly end up at a rather lesser known waterfall with no main road there. Will be interesting...

ok i get it.

just been on a UK website and they got a new waterproof garmin nuvi 550 not zumo but NUVI.

i think it was about 199uk pounds exc vat.

so that sounds interesting or the zumo 400 about same price.

still thinking...................................

probably just get a 5995 mio from central lol

I didn't want to influence your descision, but I really like my Zumo 550. Being bluetooth, I can connect my phone, an earpiece, and my ipod to it. Incoming calls are displayed on the Zumo unit, allowing me to either send it to the headset, or simply ignore it. Unfortunately the ipod can only send music, the Zumo can not control it, thus I need to always have a playlist for my rides.

I agree about the voice directions; in the country it's a pain in the ass, but I reactivate it inside the city. That let's me keep the eyes on the lunatics, errh people sharing the road, and still get the directions without having to constantly monitor the device.

I didn't want to influence your descision, but I really like my Zumo 550. Being bluetooth, I can connect my phone, an earpiece, and my ipod to it. Incoming calls are displayed on the Zumo unit, allowing me to either send it to the headset, or simply ignore it. Unfortunately the ipod can only send music, the Zumo can not control it, thus I need to always have a playlist for my rides.

I agree about the voice directions; in the country it's a pain in the ass, but I reactivate it inside the city. That let's me keep the eyes on the lunatics, errh people sharing the road, and still get the directions without having to constantly monitor the device.

Dave why are you still using your ipod as you can store your music on your SD card in the Zumo.I use a 4 gb card but with the new firmware it supports a 8 gb card also.

hi guys i just seen a zumoo 500 as well. only difference between 550 and 500 is that the 550 says the street name...........doh

UK website had it at 236.60 gbp exc v.a.t which does sound tempting. i have emailed to get a carriage charge.

but sounds nice...............ALLAN

Dave why are you still using your ipod as you can store your music on your SD card in the Zumo.I use a 4 gb card but with the new firmware it supports a 8 gb card also.

Because 80 GB (Ipod) > 2 GB (SD card; the biggest I currently have!).

Also, having playlists isn't that big of a problem, and my tank bag has that little mobile pouch with a clear cover that allows me to skip songs if needs be.

Reaon for why I didn't select the Zumo was simply what is stated in GT-Rider "For me the drawback of the Zumo is the short battery life as I use the GPS also for hiking to waterfalls, caves, etc. (4 hours max but in practice considerable less). In addition the Zumo has limitations to save tracks (max 20 archived files of each max 1 MB in the form of .gpx files)." Since this particular GPS will also be used on my mountainbike, hiking and for my dive trips (saving good spots) The Zumo was to limited, yes it is a great unit especially if it's for your bike and car but I already got a speaking bastard GPS in my car which I almost threw out the window until I figured out how to shut it up. So for my use in a multirole it was in my humble opinion the best choice.

I do agree the Zumo is a tempting piece of kit, and if it was for my car and bike only it would probably be it. :o