Pattaya Clean Up Started

monty

Apparently as a direct result of the Belgian media coverage on Pattaya's prostitution, soi 6 bars have been ordered from now on only to open at 6 PM.

District officials have visited the bars just an hour ago, ordering them to close down.

Police will follow up on the next few days with checks, places found open will be fined 50,000 Baht and slapped with a 30 days closure.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So prostitution is okay after 6 pm? :o

But does this mean all bars will be closed or prevented from serving alcohol until 6 pm?

No doubt the TV holy joe moral police will be loving this and soon be on line "If you can't go to 6 pm without a drink you have a problem". Pity these people never think about holidaymakers who want to enjoy their time. Oh, I clear forgot, everyone should go to Thailand for the temples and the beaches and the shopping.

Closure of soi 6, 7 and 8 'till 6 pm doesn't affect me too much but if it extends to other afternoon venues I might have to reconsider my R&R destination. Luckily for me I live and work in one of those repressive communist states where we can get a drink anytime we want. That's the advantage of being somewhere adults are treated as such rather than Thailand where the government is of the children, by children, for children (and holy joes :D ).

Definately we should blame the Belgians, it was Herge sending Tin Tin to Bangkok that set it all off.

So prostitution is okay after 6 pm? :o

But does this mean all bars will be closed or prevented from serving alcohol until 6 pm?

No doubt the TV holy joe moral police will be loving this and soon be on line "If you can't go to 6 pm without a drink you have a problem". Pity these people never think about holidaymakers who want to enjoy their time. Oh, I clear forgot, everyone should go to Thailand for the temples and the beaches and the shopping.

Closure of soi 6, 7 and 8 'till 6 pm doesn't affect me too much but if it extends to other afternoon venues I might have to reconsider my R&R destination. Luckily for me I live and work in one of those repressive communist states where we can get a drink anytime we want. That's the advantage of being somewhere adults are treated as such rather than Thailand where the government is of the children, by children, for children (and holy joes :D ).

Definately we should blame the Belgians, it was Herge sending Tin Tin to Bangkok that set it all off.

Closure!

They are enforcing the "entertainment" license which stipulates that you can open from 6 PM till 2 AM.

No mention of alcohol sales.

I hope this doesn't end up with an ethnic cleansing among the Belgians in Pattaya.

Erm,no I'm not from Belgium and I urgently need to go some where before :o

Logic (?) would dictate that a similar situation will soon prevail along Beach road, and possibly even Walking street...

Either these closure orders will be applied rigourously, or increased demands for local cash based unnoficial taxation will follow soon.

Experience would suggest that after a short period of the former, the latter will come into effect.

However, it's undeniable that a lot of money has been sunk into some very large luxury hotels and shopping complexes in the center of Pattaya, and big money talks very loudly in Thailand. The owners of these large concerns have been agitating for a change of image in central Pattaya so as to attract more "Straight Family based tourism".

This deplorable situation may be designed to force many bars who are currently struggling with a very dry season to the brink of bankruptcy. Watch out for some very parsimonious offers being made for failing businesses soon by well connected local entrepreneurs

I hope this doesn't end up with an ethnic cleansing among the Belgians in Pattaya.

Erm,no I'm not from Belgium and I urgently need to go some where before :o

You told me you work for the belgian media and you regularly sent reports back about pattaya,i know you dont like soi 6 but this is a bit too much basjke,for gods sake dont send any more reports back that there are still working girls in pattaya.....they will clear them all off and be left with just the katoeys or is that what you hoping for :D

mods can you ban all begians from now on,theyre all trouble and dont buy many drinks for there friends anyway......i think the thais call it keeniow and dont want them either

Speaking as a chang vest-wearing pervert who likes a drink in the afternoon, this is a veritable nightmare. Get ready for demonstrations outside the Belgian consulate reminiscent of when some Danish Newspaper published a derogatory cartoon of Mohammed :o

info only

Posted on another board just now by a guy that owns a place down soi6

we was told to close about 13.00 and only open at 18.00.We got are new licience the other day and was told by the guy who signs them off that we could only open from 18.00/02.00 if we did open early we could face a 3 mth close and 30k fine, BUT all this was said last year and are licience does say open at 18.00 and we had the same police warning as we had today telling us the big cops where on there way down and close quick while the convoy of big cops come down the street.So we shall see wot happens next

Quote from my favourite Soi 6 librarian only a month ago.

'Polis no come Soi 6. Tlee munet plaid'.

So if the authorities are enforcing anything on Soi 6 the situation is serious but as all clean ups in the past it won't last.

I was in soi 6 today and as i drove down it i thought HEY!!! wheres all the girls..... very few outside and lots of shutters down.....

There was still a few bars open and i eventually plonked my ass in Betty Boop Mini go-go.

Well enough said and yes she was different. just work 2 weeks Pattaya and spoke Great english. The Thai schools must have greatly increased English language lesson's.

:o

Logic (?) would dictate that a similar situation will soon prevail along Beach road, and possibly even Walking street...

Either these closure orders will be applied rigourously, or increased demands for local cash based unnoficial taxation will follow soon.

Experience would suggest that after a short period of the former, the latter will come into effect.

However, it's undeniable that a lot of money has been sunk into some very large luxury hotels and shopping complexes in the center of Pattaya, and big money talks very loudly in Thailand. The owners of these large concerns have been agitating for a change of image in central Pattaya so as to attract more "Straight Family based tourism".

This deplorable situation may be designed to force many bars who are currently struggling with a very dry season to the brink of bankruptcy. Watch out for some very parsimonious offers being made for failing businesses soon by well connected local entrepreneurs

:D The Thai seem to be hel_l bent on destroying the "Goose............................" :o

:D The Thai seem to be hel_l bent on destroying the "Goose............................" :o

Family Tourism??? There are much nicer places on earth, for families, than Pattaya.

As I always say when these 'clean up Pattaya' threads surface.

It COULD happen. Pattaya COULD go upmarket. Pattaya COULD become a family resort.

But it would require co-ordination planning and investment for the long term.

So guess whether it will happen or not?

But I think it is fair to say what most people go to Soi six for is not alcohol and almost certainly that will be easily obtainable else ware.

I understand that most Supermarkets, do not sell alcohol until after 5pm in the afternoon so it may be a case buying in a few cans and putting the in the fridge over night.

as far as the Belgians go I think they never got over the "Tin Tin" thing. :o