Ants - How To Get Rid Of Them ?

torrenova

Not really a farming question but you guys seem to know what you are on about so please bear with me on this one.

Our house in Buriram seems plagued by ants, inside and out in the garden. I've tried all I can find from BigC etc. with very little success. I would really like to exterminate the little buggers at least periodically if not permanently.

Can anyone please help, it is driving me mad !

By the way, I have a 15 month old toddler roaming around so I am wary of chemicals etc. I will take precautions for sure but again, I'd appreciate some direction.

Many thanks in advance.

Not really a farming question but you guys seem to know what you are on about so please bear with me on this one.

Our house in Buriram seems plagued by ants, inside and out in the garden. I've tried all I can find from BigC etc. with very little success. I would really like to exterminate the little buggers at least periodically if not permanently.

By the way, I have a 15 month old toddler roaming around so I am wary of chemicals etc. I will take precautions for sure but again, I'd appreciate some direction.

Many thanks in advance.

There are several old threads dealing with the extermination of ants if you search the files. Good luck with it :o

One group swears that corn meal will rid your house of ants. Have not heard results of this but it may be worth a try. I forecast mice, roaches etc will come to visit but I learn something new every day , it seems.

Many thanks in advance.

I saw this on a previous tread. http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/

Many thanks in advance.

Good link, thanks :o

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-con...et-rid-of-ants/

The soapy water is the best solution for you - out of the washing machine - a washing up liquid soapy water solution works really well because it seeps into the ground and the nest. I may be wrong but ants I think breathe through their skin/shell...so soapy water is not good and actually kills them. Try it one day pour liberally over a nest area......you should almost see immediate results.....of course it make take a few applications to rid entirely, I have done it and it does work. Also very inexpensive :o

The Thais don't seem to give a toss about ants, and I guess I have got used to them walking over work surfaces (and food) all around the house.

I would happily sponsor a campaign (that would have to have the Royal seal of approval to work) whereby every Thai citizen was challenged to kill 20 ants and 4 mosquitos every day.

I reckon that we would be rid of the blighters within 5 years !

The spray chemical ive been using on the farm has solved the problem for near 5 months now, but i wouldnt use it where kids are involved,

Chalk sticks are quite good for household use, your mrs will know these ones,

Another thing i have done is put some sweet fruit outside, [ants love sugary food] let the ant trail develop, watch where they burrow down and then pour half a bottle of low cal [thai whisky,30bht] into the hole, it dosnt seem to affect plants or kids, unless your nipper can reach the 1/2 empty bottle.

Cheers, Lickey.

... let the ant trail develop, watch where they burrow down and then pour half a bottle of low cal [thai whisky,30bht] into the hole...

Excellent tactic - watch where they come from and where they go to. There's usually food at one end of the trail and their nest at the other. I recently followed some ants that came out of a hole near my front gate, up the road past my house, past the next door neighbour's house to a hole in the concrete road. Poured half a tin of ant killer powder down both holes. No more ants - apart from the ones still in the road wondering what the **** to do.

The only long term solution is to keep the house spotlessly clean. No food for them and they won't come in great numbers. There will always be the "scouts" - just looking to see what's around, but if they don't find anything, the others won't come.

Dad used to use petrol or diesel poured down the holes, Petrol is not much fun if a fag end is dropped near it, and the diesel stays in the ground for months perhaps years? nothing much will grow after,

Alcohol works in much the same way as detergant but quicker i believe, the whole object is to kill the queen, then the rest will clear off!

Dad was always ready with his parrafin powered flame thrower [weed killer] after putting petrol in the hole, he would play the flame over it till there was a WMOOOF undergroud and that certainly killed the queen.

Im going to make my own gas powered flame gun soon, ive a lot of uses for it on the farm!

Cheers, Lickey.

Yes, come and watch by all means, i will post as soon as ive made an perfected it, they were very common before the advent of poison chemicals, lots of web sites from the states and europe with these guns,

Ive tried to source one in Thailand, with no luck, so with a gas bottle,manual pressure anti-blowback valve,60ft pipe, lance with tap on, then i can kill weeds that exspensive paraquat wont, clean the dead leaves out of banana plants,turn-over dead banana leaves on the ground and exterminate the ants and snails in seconds, burn a metre circle round all papaya/banana/rubber trees and fertilize without conflict with weedkillers ect,the dry ash discouragers snails and crawlers ect, also flaming the bamboo plantation, ususally done after the new green leaves appear, it cleans the sticks and burns off all the dead leaves, saving a lot of mess, the green survives no prob.

Having spent over 5000bht on poison and labour this year with no real solution in sight, a gas flame burner seems a good option, and a lot cheaper!! which is what farming is about, ie, to make a profit!

Lickey.

Many thanks in advance.

Aloha If they are the big red biting ant's you need to get rid of them they can hurt the baby, If they just get water and take away droppings, live with it, also it keeps the Gecko's inside to eat the Flies and Mosquito's, you want the Gecko's inside for good luck.

Health and Happiness

Many thanks in advance.

Youre stuck - I was going to suggest diesel, but with junior crawling about its a problem - though perhaps not as potentialy troublesome as other chemicals: try squirting diesel into all holes you find (with ants in them) - with a syringe.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks in advance.

I bought some non toxic pest control from a company in pattaya harmless to humans and pets kills all insects for up to a month,worked for me if anyone wants there email or number pm me and i will give it

Please just post it up.

I've had some success with the soapy water but now some of the ants seem to have decamped to the roof area which makes the soap solution a little bit difficult. For sure some of their previous places have been vacated or they are now dead due to the soapy water but I'm not sure how to kill the buggers in the roof ?

Yes, come and watch by all means, i will post as soon as ive made an perfected it, they were very common before the advent of poison chemicals, lots of web sites from the states and europe with these guns,

Ive tried to source one in Thailand, with no luck, so with a gas bottle,manual pressure anti-blowback valve,60ft pipe, lance with tap on, then i can kill weeds that exspensive paraquat wont, clean the dead leaves out of banana plants,turn-over dead banana leaves on the ground and exterminate the ants and snails in seconds, burn a metre circle round all papaya/banana/rubber trees and fertilize without conflict with weedkillers ect,the dry ash discouragers snails and crawlers ect, also flaming the bamboo plantation, ususally done after the new green leaves appear, it cleans the sticks and burns off all the dead leaves, saving a lot of mess, the green survives no prob.

Having spent over 5000bht on poison and labour this year with no real solution in sight, a gas flame burner seems a good option, and a lot cheaper!! which is what farming is about, ie, to make a profit!

Lickey.

Lickey, are you talking about the shoulder type paraffin flamethrower things? I have been looking for one of those here for years, and no luck.

Any chance you can post a photo or two of your gas set up, it sounds perfect for what I need, much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Underdog, yes, dad had the huge parrafin powered flame gun, all made with tin, quite lightweight till filled with about 3 gallons of parrafin, i havent seen anything like it in Thai, hence my own design gas powered flame gun,

Ive got a few bits together now,the gas hose, blowback regulator, gas bottle and some lance parts, just got to get the design of the burner right, the airflow through the shield for the best flame ect, and of course the jet for the gas, once ive got this right and im happy with it, will post all details and pics, Cheers, Lickey.