Driving A Motorbike In Bkk Without A Thai License

iyah

Hi,

Are any of u driving a motorbike in bkk on a regular basis without a proper Thai license? How often do u get fined? I have been fined twice already and let go a couple times to (that's in 3 weeks). I have an American driver's license and havn't bothered so far to try to get a Thai license, but this is becoming costly, and a little stressful to. It doesn't seem that easy to get a Thai license since it would involved either taking some tests (in Thai I presume) or going back to the States to get an international license.

Edited by iyah

Dude- getting a Thai Drivers liscense is ridiculously cheap and easy. No Thai language test, you just need your valid US liscense with a translation, a doctors note saying you're healty enough to drive, and some pics. Then go take a couple of silly tests to check your depth perception and reaction time and you'll have your liscense the same day for a couple hundred Baht. And having a Thai drivers liscense is quite handy as ID and for getting the Thai price for places like National Parks etc.

I don't play the fine game with Thai cops (unless I actually did something wrong). Polite persistence when you know you are innocent has been 100% successful for me in my 3+ years of driving in Thailand.

I see. So i guess paying those fine is just part of the cost of driving a bike here. 'Sucks. I hate those cops. They always seem to be on a power trip or something to and really rude and agressive. It seems like they pull me over for no valid reason, but trying to complain about it (my Thai is minimal anyways) is just a waste of time, so I'm usually just polite hoping that next time they see me they'll just let me go through. Corrupted and arrogant police's got to be one of the top 5 anoying things about Thailand. At least the fines only amount to a few bucks. I feel more sorry for the Thai workers who queue with me to pay those fines. It represents half their daily income or something.

My previous post was in response to Wangsuda.

Hum. So it doesn't seem that difficult to obtain a Thai license after all. So I have to get a translation of my license in one of those accredited places? And then, do you know where i can go to take those tests?

I presume your Thai is pretty good if you're able to get away without paying. Not my case.

No you don't need a translation. Just take your license, letter of residency, health certificate and photocopies of passport pages to the department of land transportation.

I will be in Thailand for 2 months (Jan and Feb) mostly on Phuket. What is the best way to get a license without a "letter of residency"? Also I am assuming the health certificate must be from a local doctor. What is the best way to obtain it, do they have walk in clients that could provide me with one?

Please do not stereotype all Thai police on what you have seen in BKK during the last three weeks. In the provinces I have lived and worked, they do their job better than the cops in Houston, and bust less heads in the process.

Hey, I never said I liked US cops :o

Ya, I guess Bkk cops are the worst.

This motorbike 'bribing' thing is common in Thailand. You have to pay, even if u havn't done anything wrong. They'll always fine a bogus reason if it's time to collect some dough. This just wouldn't happen in the States (not on a regular basis at least). Other kind of shit would though.

Edited by iyah

I've never gotten a 'Thai drivers license' in years of driving a motorbike in Thailand off and on, but then again I've never driven in Bangkok.

In Pattaya if you are stopped for any other reason - no helmet, going the 'wrong' way on a one way street, etc., the cop will fine you the extra 200 or 400 baht for the no license, but they don't seem to just do random license checks of foreigners.

Upcountry they seem to be lenient, at least in towns where there aren't that many foreigners (they haven't gotten used to us as a target to suck money out of yet); one big exception would be Udon Thani where foreigners are routinely harrassed.

Edited by opebo

Please do not stereotype all Thai police on what you have seen in BKK during the last three weeks. In the provinces I have lived and worked, they do their job better than the cops in Houston, and bust less heads in the process.

Hey, I never said I liked US cops :o

Ya, I guess Bkk cops are the worst.

This motorbike 'bribing' thing is common in Thailand. You have to pay, even if u havn't done anything wrong. They'll always fine a bogus reason if it's time to collect some dough. This just wouldn't happen in the States (not on a regular basis at least). Other kind of shit would though.

I never have driven in BKK or Pattaya. Just 62,000 km in six provinces in 5.5 years. Never been asked to pay for a bonus infraction, and often never been stopped for running 140 kph on the highway, passing in the left shoulder, going around left turns at red lights, etc.

Having a Thai license is almost easier than a valid visa. Much easier than a work permit.

Hi,

Being fined is not so important, but if you crash someone on a motorbike, or a walker, you'll go to jail immediately. And will have to pay by yourself.

In Thailand, if you're a tourist, you must have an international licence, and if you stay, you must have a Thai driving licence. If no, your insurance will not pay for you.

It's really easy for getting Thai licence if you have international licence, and not too difficult if you have only an American licence.

If you have a valid driving license issued in a foreign country, then it is very easy to get a Thai License.

If you have a valid work permit, then there is no need for a residence certificate. But in the license they will imprint the address shown in your work permt. So if you want your residence address to be shown in the license, then get a residence certificate from your embassy.

Visit the license issuing office near Anusawaree.

It will cost about 230+ baht for a license in English & Thai version (Smart card). Paper licnse with thai version only cost 100 baht less.

No need to take any written test. But there is an eye test will be there.

You can get the license within few hours for sure.

Tks.

If you have a valid driving license issued in a foreign country, then it is very easy to get a Thai License.

If you have a valid work permit, then there is no need for a residence certificate. But in the license they will imprint the address shown in your work permt. So if you want your residence address to be shown in the license, then get a residence certificate from your embassy.

Visit the license issuing office near Anusawaree.

It will cost about 230+ baht for a license in English & Thai version (Smart card). Paper licnse with thai version only cost 100 baht less.

No need to take any written test. But there is an eye test will be there.

You can get the license within few hours for sure.

Tks.

On the ("new style") licence there isn't even any room to put your address, so forget about that. However, the issuing office will almost certainly require either a work permit or a certificate of residence, so be sure to bring either of those.

/ Priceless

On the ("new style") licence there isn't even any room to put your address, so forget about that. However, the issuing office will almost certainly require either a work permit or a certificate of residence, so be sure to bring either of those.

/ Priceless

Sorry.. there IS a place to put the address, and it is on the back side of the license and it is in Thai language.

I'm 100% sure on this as I've changed my new smart card license just a couple of days back only.

Edited by SouthIndian

Ok. Thanks for the replies. It sounds easy enough. I will probably commute to work till then. I do have a work permit.

Yes, driving outside Bkk is very different. I'm usually not bothered by the cops in the provinces. They don't really know how to deal with Farangs (ouside Pattaya and tourist destinations) so they actually might turn a blind eye even if u've done something wrong to save themselves the hassle of trying to communicate with u.

I will be in Thailand for 2 months (Jan and Feb) mostly on Phuket. What is the best way to get a license without a "letter of residency"? Also I am assuming the health certificate must be from a local doctor. What is the best way to obtain it, do they have walk in clients that could provide me with one?

I believe an international licence is valid for 3 months in thailand, you don't need a thai licence for your holiday. Of course, you need a bike licence from your home country if you're gonna ride a bike. But then you wouldn't ride a bike here without the training, would you?

Check your insurance covers you for the correct engine capacity of the bike you're gonna ride, hospitals in Phuket can get rather expensive otherwise

No you don't need a translation. Just take your license, letter of residency, health certificate and photocopies of passport pages to the department of land transportation.

Letter of residency is easy to get at your embassay in Bangkok. Minimal cost, and at least at the US embassy doesn't require much of anything; I took along the wife's house book and her, of course, but I forget as to whether or not they even looked at it.

Coincidentally I was watching a live 'high speed' chase on Fox a few weeks ago that took place in Houston (on what appeared to be 59 North). The perp got off in a residential area and managed to crash into a parked car. He then got out to run and a police cruiser roared up the sidewalk and sent him up over the hood. Don't know if the cop was aiming to hit him or not, but it still looked painful.

I have to agree though that cops don't hassle you as much outside of tourist areas especially if you start talking to them in Spanish. Eyes bug out and they're left stammering. I then proceed to present my library, Sam's Club (which has been expired forever) or some other card just to see their further reaction.

I think I'm an evil bastard.

/ Priceless

Sorry.. there IS a place to put the address, and it is on the back side of the license and it is in Thai language.

I'm 100% sure on this as I've changed my new smart card license just a couple of days back only.

You say you "changed" to the new style license? Do you have the 5 year old style before? What paperwork did you need to make the change?

Thanks

Never mind I see your response in another thread about the licenses

Edited by longball53098

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you also need a 1 year Visa to get a Thai licence ?

Every site I've seen so far mentioned that, which is why I haven't bothered going for it yet. As I'm only in a month at a time, I've been getting by on my IDP (but haven't been stopped, or fined, or hassled in any way by the police).

First of all you need a non-immigrant visa, without that you won't get a Thai license period. It is far easier to get an international driving permit in your country of origin for the two months rather than getting a non-immigrant visa, they probably will require a letter of residence verified by immigration, then if you have a valid motorbike license from your home country you need to verify this in your local embassy, then get the doctor sign, and a vision and driving test. A hel_l of a lot of hassle compared to getting an international permit from home I can assure you.

For us who live here, we have no choice but getting the Thai license.

Cheers Bard

I have a love/hate relationship with the cops. I love it when they are somewhere else and I hate it when they are following me!

In Oz, or more directly Victoria where I am living the cops are arrogant "R" soles I actually hate em all the time. :D

In LOS or where-ever I am O/S I give them a grudging respect simply because I am at a disadvantage. I see farang arguing with the cops, getting red faced and angry which doesn't make things better when the other person (cop) isn't listening and doesn't speak any English.

I guess some people have to do it the hard way! :o

You say you "changed" to the new style license? Do you have the 5 year old style before? What paperwork did you need to make the change?

* Your old license. If you lost it, get a police complaint. :o

* Your passport (original and attested photo copy)

* Your workpermit (original and attested photo copy)

* 250+ Baht

Thatz it.

Edited by SouthIndian

For those who have a valid driving license from your home country, it is very easy to obtain Thai driving license.

* Non-immigrant Visa

* Work Permit or Residence certificate from your Embassy

* Doctor's ceritificate (If you are visiting Bangkok office, you can easily get this near the entrance of the office for about 60 to 70 Baht) Or you can ask the motor cycle service men in the entrance of the office and they will take the certificate for 100 to 120 Baht

* Your passport / workpermit photo copies with your signature

* If you need the Thai only version license, itz about 150+ Baht or if you want the new smart card type English/Thai version license, itz 250+ Baht

* Your license obtained from your country and a photocopy of it

Just take these to the office and you've to do an eye test and an another small test to check whether your eye-sight and responding time are good or not.

Thatz it.

You will get the license on the same time.

If you don't have a license from your country, then you have to take a written test in which you have to take atleast 26 marks out of 30 questions. All are objective type questions. After this you've to ride the vehicle also. If you pass on both of these tests and if you posses all the above documents you will get the license immeidately.

For those who have a valid driving license from your home country, it is very easy to obtain Thai driving license.

* Non-immigrant Visa

* Work Permit or Residence certificate from your Embassy

* Doctor's ceritificate (If you are visiting Bangkok office, you can easily get this near the entrance of the office for about 60 to 70 Baht) Or you can ask the motor cycle service men in the entrance of the office and they will take the certificate for 100 to 120 Baht

* Your passport / workpermit photo copies with your signature

* If you need the Thai only version license, itz about 150+ Baht or if you want the new smart card type English/Thai version license, itz 250+ Baht

* Your license obtained from your country and a photocopy of it

Just take these to the office and you've to do an eye test and an another small test to check whether your eye-sight and responding time are good or not.

Thatz it.

You will get the license on the same time.

If you don't have a license from your country, then you have to take a written test in which you have to take atleast 26 marks out of 30 questions. All are objective type questions. After this you've to ride the vehicle also. If you pass on both of these tests and if you posses all the above documents you will get the license immeidately.

I have to say this process does not sound 'easy'!

But one question - since I live in a godforsaken upcountry backwater, am I even allowed to get my driving license in Bangkok, or must I seek it up here? The usual answer I get about just about everything from the local authorities is 'oh, farang can't get that'.

• 4 weeks later...
... 'Sucks. I hate those cops. They always seem to be on a power trip or something to and really rude and agressive. It seems like they pull me over for no valid reason, ...

no valid reason, huh? wondering what your US cops would do if they caught you riding without license.

:o

safe ride

I am a bit colour blind. red /green defincies, which i believe 1 in 7 men have but may not neccesarily be aware of. i can see colours and traffic lights but cannot pass colour tests.

I dont have thai license as colour test is part of what they require. So i drive for the last 7 years on UK driving license. Its never been questioned. I rode a cb400 for a year in bkk and was stopped regularly by BiB but never challenged about license. I have ridden/driven 5 years in Krabi and despite a couple of crashes in which thai were injured , my uk license was accepted by the police and 2 insurance companies.

i was stopped twice in a Krabi plated car last week in Bkk and license ok, but fined for number plates too large on the car. But thats another story of crap and corruption.

Oh and also stopped and fined for doing 140 in a 2 door pickup on route 1 going to CM where they apparently [claim] to have radar guns month ago.

So who knows what is ok these days. What is obvious, is that traffic violations, both real and imaginary are being pounced on more frequently.

I once suggested driving prior to getting my Thai license on this forum and I got flamed like I had suggested kiddy-fiddling. They must like you here :o

I was shamed into getting my license and it was really easy.

Edited by garro

Like it has been said, it is so easily ridiculous to get a license in Thailand, that there is no excuse not to get one. The 250 baht for the license is cheaper than the bribe when you get caught without a license. All I did was bring in my U.S. license, and an international driver's license from AAA in the USA (I don't know if it was necessary). The only 'tests' where to look at a color chart to see if you are color blind, and stop a little remote controlled car to test depth perception.

As for Thai cops, I can tell you that I like the Thai ones better than the ones in the states. I don't care who says what, but I hate cops in general. All the bullies, and inflated egos in high school all ended up being cops. At least with the Thai ones, you can get away with whatever for less than a $10 USD bribe. It is much easier and cheaper to bribe the Thai cops, than get out of a traffic violation in the states.

Driving license outside Bangkok, can be very hard or very easy dependent of the officer there and then. When I got my license(s) because there is a separate license for car and bike, it was not many expats taking a Thai license in my area so it took several trips in before they got it. It ended up me having to do the entire license twice, same test 2 times... one for car and one for bike even though I had National plus International license from home, work permit and what have you. Anyways it was very easy to do, when they finally accepted me. How often have I showed any of the licenses to the coppers... Never ever which pisses me off since I had to show my license all the time until I got the Thai ones, mainly use it as ID card and to get in cheap to dual priced areas.

I find the coppers reasonable in Thailand, when they stop me which is extremely rare it's a reason for it, funniest one I had was a copper who put up a small homemade cardboard sign (60) on the route 3, when he stopped me for speeding I told him hey I drove in 90 he proudly showed me his homemade 60 sign, gave him 200 baht for the funny effort.

Back home the rule for the coppers is to cut chase if they exceed 200 km/h and luckily not like in US where it seams to be a life and death chase, risking innocent bystanders just to get that guy. In Thailand you stop period if the cops signal you, never ever ignore them, some have loose trigger fingers, and others throw sticks in your front wheel with pretty disastrous results. Efficient but lethal as they can be...

Rule is for people staying in country for more than 3 months at the time to get a local license btw so it's no point to get one if you're here for a shorter period. Just use an international one together with your national license and there is no hassle at all. Driving without a license at all is stupid, hit walker and see how cheap that is, an expat had to bring up 5 million baht in the worst one I've seen no license and killed an educated good income guy...

To do the entire license is not hard at all either, just do it...