Need Help To Clarify Dates For Extended Stay

I am currently staying in Thailand on a Non-immigrant O-A visa, which is valid until the 17th of February 2009. I and my wife, who is a Thai citizen, recently went to Hong Kong so I have a stamp in my passport that allows me to stay in Thailand until the 6th of September 2009.

I would be thankful if someone can answer these questions:

(1) When do I need to apply for my first extension of stay, is it 30 days before my visa expires in February 2009 or is it 30 days before my current permission expires in September 2009?

(2) The 30 days, referred to in question (1) above, I have previously read about in another post on Thai Visa some time ago. Can someone please verify that "window" of time, i.e. am I allowed to apply any time within 30 days prior to the expiry date or what are the roles?

Thanks

I am currently staying in Thailand on a Non-immigrant O-A visa, which is valid until the 17th of February 2009. I and my wife, who is a Thai citizen, recently went to Hong Kong so I have a stamp in my passport that allows me to stay in Thailand until the 6th of September 2009.

I would be thankful if someone can answer these questions:

(1) When do I need to apply for my first extension of stay, is it 30 days before my visa expires in February 2009 or is it 30 days before my current permission expires in September 2009?

(2) The 30 days, referred to in question (1) above, I have previously read about in another post on Thai Visa some time ago. Can someone please verify that "window" of time, i.e. am I allowed to apply any time within 30 days prior to the expiry date or what are the roles?

Thanks

1. Sept. 2009

2. It has been reported that some immigration offices want you to do it 30 days before. It you go 30 days early your extension would still be good until Sept. 6, 2010.

For the period of time that your non-oa is still valid if you go out and come back again you will get another year.

Edited by ubonjoe

1. You apply for your extension within 30 days of the end of any permission to stay (not the visa expiry date).

If you do a border run just before the 'use by' date of your visa you can get another 12 month stamp and put off extending for another year :o If you do this you must obtain a re-entry permit if you wish to travel overseas once your visa has passed the use by date.

2. Any time. The financial requirements for a retirement extension are well documented on this forum.

2. It has been reported that some immigration offices want you to do it 30 days before. It you go 30 days early your extension would still be good until Sept. 6, 2010.

For the period of time that your non-oa is still valid if you go out and come back again you will get another year.

Normally immigration will send you away until you have less than a month before your current passport permission stamp expires.

Please understand that you can also go to the border on any day before the the visa expiry date and get another one year stamp, but if you leave Thailand after the O-A visa expiry date then you will need to get a re-entry permit (before you leave) to preserve the most recent stamp date that you have (currently Sept 2009).

Thanks for your swift replies. This helps me a lot. I have two additional questions for you:

(1) The first one is just to clarify the period between the date of my visa's expire and the date of my current permission of stay. From your replies I understand that that period would be regarded in a similar manner as when one has received an extended permission of stay and thus I would need a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand to maintain my status. Is that correct?

(2) My second follow up question is actually not related to my situation but of a friend of mine. She is Swedish like me and married to a Thai man living in Phuket. From what I understand she entered Thailand on a Non O visa. She recently applied for her first extension of stay, based on her Non O visa, in Phuket but her application was denied because she should have applied latest on the day when she had 21 days left on her current stay. The immigration officer told her that this was a new rule. Can anyone comment on this please?

(2) My second follow up question is actually not related to my situation but of a friend of mine. She is Swedish like me and married to a Thai man living in Phuket. From what I understand she entered Thailand on a Non O visa. She recently applied for her first extension of stay, based on her Non O visa, in Phuket but her application was denied because she should have applied latest on the day when she had 21 days left on her current stay. The immigration officer told her that this was a new rule. Can anyone comment on this please?

The 21 day rule applies if you entered on a Tourist Visa or a 30 day stamp. Not a Non Imm O Visa.

She can apply anytime within the last 30 days of her stay.

Are you sure she actually had a Non Imm O Visa?

Edited by Lite Beer

The 21 day rule applies if you entered on a Tourist Visa or a 30 day stamp. Not a Non Imm O Visa.

She can apply anytime within the last 30 days of her stay.

Are you sure she actually had a Non Imm O Visa?

No I am not unfortunately, but the way she explained it to me I assumed it was a Non O since she commented her situation on a Swedish forum about Thailand and on that category.

Thanks for your clarification Lite Beer, but one question seems to lead to another. She claimed that she was applying for an extension of stay (actually she used the terminology Visa but since one cannot apply for a visa in the country I assumed she meant extension of stay) but if she entered on a tourist visa can such a visa type actually be converted into an extended stay in Thailand in the first place? I didn't think that was possible.

No I am not unfortunately, but the way she explained it to me I assumed it was a Non O since she commented her situation on a Swedish forum about Thailand and on that category.

Thanks for your clarification Lite Beer, but one question seems to lead to another. She claimed that she was applying for an extension of stay (actually she used the terminology Visa but since one cannot apply for a visa in the country I assumed she meant extension of stay) but if she entered on a tourist visa can such a visa type actually be converted into an extended stay in Thailand in the first place? I didn't think that was possible.

You can convert to a Non O Visa if you have at least 21 days left on your stay. This Non O Visa can be extended for 12 months if you qualify. eg. Marriage, Retirement etc.