Cambodia Threatens War With Thailand Within 24 Hours

george

Cambodian PM asks Thai troops to withdraw from border area in 24 hours

PHNOM PENH: -- Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen here Monday asked Thailand to evacuate its 81 troops from the Veal Intry area near the Preah Vihear Temple on Cambodian soil within 24 hours, and warned war otherwise.

"The Veal Intry area is the dead or alive point for us," he told reporters at the Cambodian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation after meeting with visiting Thai Foreign Minister Sompong Amornviwat.

"The situation at the Veal Intry area is too hot. They have to remove tonight or tomorrow. If they don't remove from the Veal Intry area, war will be waged," he said.

"They entered there (Monday morning) and are deploying and camping their tents about 30 meters from our soldiers. They said they stay here only one day," he said.

"Cambodia still keep our maximum restraints and won't mind if they go back to their own stronghold," he said.

"We want to solve the matter with a peaceful deal. We are trying to shorten the conflict," he said.

The international court is the best way for both sides to solve the border conflict and it can also avoid blame from the people of the two nations, he said.

In addition, Cambodia can't hand over concession land to Thailand, and Thailand either, he said.

The Veal Intry area is on the Phnom Trap hill side, approximately 2,000 meters from the west side of the Keo Sikha Kiri Svara Pagoda, which is situated on the only way leading to the Preah Vihear Temple.

Earlier Monday, Sompong Amornviwat and his Cambodian counterpart Hor Namhong decided to resume both sides' border talks between Oct. 21 and Oct. 24 in Siem Reap province.

In July, tensions ran high after the ancient Preah Vihear Temple was awarded world heritage status by UNESCO, angering nationalists in Thailand who still claim ownership of the site.

The tension later turned into a military confrontation, in which up to 1,000 Cambodian and Thai troops faced off for six weeks. In mid-August, most troops evacuated and just a few dozen soldiers stationed near the temple.

However, bilateral talks to discuss withdrawing troops from around the temple were postponed late August amid political turmoil in Thailand.

In October at the border area, at least one Cambodian soldier and two Thai troops were wounded during an exchange of gunfire, and two other Thai soldiers were seriously injured after stepping on a landmine.

-- Xinhua 2008-10-14

--------------------------------

War threat

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered fresh troops to the border with an ultimatum to Thailand: Pull military forces back today or the border will become a "life and death battle zone".

Hun Sen told reporters in Phnom Penh that he had warned Thailand's visiting Foreign Minister Sompong Amornvivat that without a quick pullout, Thai soldiers could face being fired upon by Cambodian troops in "large-scale armed conflict".

"If they cannot withdraw tonight, they must withdraw tomorrow," said Hun Sen.

"We have tried to be patient, but I told the Thai foreign minister today that the area is a life-and-death battle zone."

His comments came after talks with Mr Sompong in Phnom Penh.

Mr Sompong also met with his counterpart Hor Namhong in a bid to resolve the dispute over the area near the ancient Preah Vihear temple.

The Cambodian foreign minister said yesterday's talks failed to end in agreement because his Thai opposite number "could not sign anything".

Hun Sen and Hor Namhong both told reporters that Cambodia could choose to take the border dispute before an international court if it was not resolved soon.

The comments made by the Cambodian prime minister and foreign minister surprised Mr Sompong and Thai officials, who were adamant that the meetings had not been a failure.

Mr Sompong said the tone during the meetings between the two countries had been different as the Cambodian leaders agreed that both sides had to be patient in resolving the border spat.

He said no Thai troop withdrawals would be made from the 4.6 sq km overlapping area between Kantharalak district in Si Sa Ket and Preah Vihear province of Cambodia until the dispute over ownership is cleared through negotiations in the Joint Boundary Commission that was set up to demarcate the land border.

Thailand reiterated its ownership over the area, Mr Sompong said in Bangkok and rushed to report the talks to Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Suranaree Task Force commander Maj-Gen Kanok Netrakavaesana will hold talks with his Cambodian counterpart tomorrow on the border issues and the Thai and Cambodian defence ministers will meet next Tuesday , according to Mr Sompong.

Cambodian Deputy Defence Minister Gen Neang Phat said more Cambodian troops were heading to the area after up to 500 Thai soldiers had tried to cross the border near an ancient Hindu temple that is claimed by both countries.

"We are building up our troops at the border in response to Thailand, but I cannot reveal the number," he told reporters.

Maj-Gen Srey Deok, who oversees the Cambodian military in the disputed area, said: "Thai troops have already entered the area. They are confronting our troops."

But Maj-Gen Kanok denied that more troops had been sent to the disputed area near the Preah Vihear temple.

Thailand and Cambodia have 10 soldiers each at the Keo Sikha Kiri Svara pagoda near the Preah Vihear temple and 45 around the compound on joint patrol, according to the agreement between the two countries to ease border tension.

The two countries also have back-up troops near the border.

The number of soldiers there remained unchanged, Maj-Gen Kanok said.

Maj-Gen Kanok slammed Cambodia for distorting information and taking advantage of the political crisis in Thailand to launch an offensive move for its own political benefit.

The Suranaree chief, his patience wearing thin, called for a quick solution to the border spat and a clear direction to be provided by the government as it could become an armed conflict if it was left unsettled.

"I want the government to solve this problem and make it clear what to do. If it is left this way, nobody knows what is going to happen," he said.

Tensions between Thailand and Cambodia first flared in July after the Preah Vihear temple was awarded World Heritage status by the World Heritage Committee.

The International Court of Justice ruled in 1962 that the temple belongs to Cambodia, but the surrounding land remains in dispute.

Tensions escalated into a military confrontation in which up to 1,000 Cambodian and Thai troops faced off for six weeks.

The two countries have swapped accusations of violating each other's territory in the dispute.

-- Bangkok Post/Agencies 2008-10-14

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that anyone seriously thinks this or any other war is a 'good' war. I am concerned that the dysfunctional state of the gov't and country in general means not paying attention to important issues. There is also the problem of hyper-nationalism. Of course, Cambodia has a lot to do with this situation, but it requires some hard work on both sides.

The days of constantly moving borders has come to an end. The area in dispute falls in Cambodian territory making a far stretch to be considered Thai. Besides, as I understand it Thailand failed to represent their case in the UNESCO decision, missing all deadlines and extensions to file the papers needed to participate in the process.

If Thais are on Cambodian soil and refusing to retreat when asked to, they are only asking for an escalation. How can a government be so high on itself, to risk the lives of its citizens, its reputation on a world stage.

I love Thailand, but they continue to baffle me with their unique form of logic.

Sounds like somebody is trying to heat up the situation by moving Thai soldiers closer to the Temple. What they want to achieve is unclear. I guess weaken the government, but usually a war situation or external crisis strengthens whoever is in charge so it doesn't make any sense to me. TIT, I guess.

Lao, Thai troops clash on border: RCAF

An RCAF general said Thursday some 30 Thai soldiers were fired upon by an unknown number of Lao troops in the Golden Triangle region where the three countries' borders converge.

The incident happened after Thai soldiers strayed into Lao territory en route to Cambodia.

"Lao soldiers shot at the Thais [on Wednesday] as they were walking in Lao territory, but we have no information about possible casualties," the general, who asked not to be named, told the Post Thursday.

"I have not received any new reports, but we are investigating the matter carefully," he said.

The general added that since Thai soldiers began crossing the border in July, cooperation between Cambodia and Laos to monitor developments along the border has strengthened.

Soldiers from Thailand, Cambodia and Laos are normally deployed in the Golden Triangle area, but tension has increased as a result of the months-long standoff between Thai and Cambodian forces over disputed border territory.

The general said the recent unexpected arrival of seven Thai soldiers at a Cambodian military guard house in the area had further inflamed matters following last week's gun battle near Preah Vihear.

"They came to stay with our soldiers on our land," the general said. "We will burn this house [rather than cede it to them] because we built it on our own land."

Addressing the reported clash between Lao and Thai soldiers, Neang Phat, secretary of state at the Ministry of Defence, said "it is an issue between Laos and Thailand and did not involve Cambodian territory".

The Phnom Penh Post

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/200...order-RCAF.html

Remark:

It says "Golden Triange" but they mean "Emerald Triangle".

Edited by Rajah

Yep this should help tourism, just what the country needs. Life is cheap in this neck of the woods. Political it has been political since day one.

Now me I'm not going to blame mews agancies fro releasing this as I have seen in the past. They are doing this to themselves.

Lets see we have the mess in Bangkok that reached out to other areas.

The problems down South

Yep we really need the conflict with Cambodia.

I'lll bet if you asked the Thai's who live there they are happy to sell goods to the tourist who go there no matter what country controls it.

My thoughts this is not about money any longer it's about power.

Thai's have said this morning they aren't leaving, but who really knows.

I'm flying to PP today - first time there.

Being based in Thailand I'm now wondering if I should postpone. I do actually want to be able to return here!

It might be nationalistic rhetoric and an attempt to intimidate, but "war" isn't a word you should bat around lightly.

Bugger.

The days of constantly moving borders has come to an end. The area in dispute falls in Cambodian territory making a far stretch to be considered Thai.

How do you know that the area in dispute falls in Cambodian territory. From news reports it appears it's still part of the 4.6 square kilometers disputed zone. Cambodian troops are there, Thai troops are there, it doesn't belong to anyone at the moment.

Lets hope that Thailand leaves the area. I really hope it does not come down to a face saving standoff from the Thai military.. The ultimatum that was given just might be enough for the "government" to dig their heels in.. Let us hope not.

This is just a pretty blatant way to promote nationalism and break the will of the PAD.

The direction of causality is exactly the opposite. This is a blatant provocation by the military to undermine the Thai government & assist the ultra-nationalistic & fascistic PAD. Having initiated a civil war in the streets of Bangkok to try to overthrow the government, they are now so desperate they would risk a real war with all that involves.

As I have been led to believe the "land" in question is like the "Gaza trip" in Israeli/Palestinian territory. There is no oil, gold, agriculturally it is a waste land but, apparently, it contains the only "road" to a temple already established to be the sole property of Cambodia.

Would the Thais, not very experienced at war, not consider getting permission and, building another road or is it preferable to start a "shooting" war instead ? Once again reports from Thais re : meetings with the Cambodians, ( everything okay ! ), and the Cambodians say no okay, get out or we shoot ! Were I to lay odds on the victor in a border skirmish, Cambodia would come out on top.

Most important is, even if the Thais win the "road" they still, without permission, cannot enter the Cambodian Temple. This is a classic example of a "no win' situation.

This is just a pretty blatant way to promote nationalism and break the will of the PAD.

Spot on, this is a show to change the will of the Thai people, not unlike what the American government did with 9/11. PM, and the Thaksin cabal are desperate.

Cambodia asks only to draw the frontier. Thailand refuses. To demand a bilateral solution is of course a way to tell: "we do not want to solve the problem" as none of the two countries will give up a parcel of land. Cambodia asks a third party to help, it's the only one reasonable solution.

Now, why Thailand wants to keep the condition of a war at its border?

Probably to justify the incredible army budget.

Also because the possibility of a war can help the country to reunite.

Last point, please remember that Thai army DOES NOT obey to the Prime Minister... And at this moment, it's difficult to know who does mastermind the army.

As I have been led to believe the "land" in question is like the "Gaza trip" in Israeli/Palestinian territory. There is no oil, gold, agriculturally it is a waste land but, apparently, it contains the only "road" to a temple already established to be the sole property of Cambodia.

Would the Thais, not very experienced at war, not consider getting permission and, building another road ...

Why should the build a new road? They own a perfectly good one already. It's Cambodians who need to build another road, a cable car, actually, to access their temple, and it's Cambodians who insist that the existing access road has no value.

here we go !!! Maybe a good war will help the thai politicians to get their sh*t strait :o

boy thats wishful thinking, a war good or bad is always great for the economy though particularly for those with their noses in the trough,

the lack of leadership is frightening

this is all so stupid. Is there some reason this area can't be made into a "safe" zone. A type of "temple" for lack of better words where all can come to seek peace and come to center? Does it have to have a label, the "I, Me, Mine" consciousness that all the great masters have taught us is the cause of suffering? I want to enter this temple from the Thai side, and exit from the Thai side. Can't the Cambodian people enter from the Cambodian side and exit from the Cambodian side? It seems that the lack of willingness to share care-taking responsibility is nothing but pure ego as if to say "you can't do it as well as we can". So the answer is to start a war, to start a process to kill, to take away ones children, brothers, daughters, mothers and fathers over an imaginary line drawn in the sand. What is the difference between the orientals labeled Thai, and the orientals labeled Cambodian? An imaginary line drawn in the sand. Imagine if Thailand "owned" this plot on the planet how life would be perfect. It's all just imagination. If I don't get this piece of candy I'm going to throw a tantrum until I do, and as every other answer/object outside of my being has never solved any problem I had, surely as a stupid human I will look for something else to cling to. Pure ignorance. And as long as I continue in this manner, I will still have problems/more cause for suffering. This act of war, this "barking" from behind a fence is life as one lives in the lower chakras. The dog days of somber. :o When do we separate what we define as culture, and when do we recognize pride as something as merely an association that feeds an insatiable entity we call the ego. When did pride stop being something we took credit for because of our actions? :D This is so low class, and I'm truly angry. Oh to be a witness, and not have the anger is something that because of me is just out of my reach.

"All beings tremble before violence.

All fear death.

All love life.

See yourself in others.

Then whom can you hurt?

What harm can you do?"

-----Buddha