International Driving Permit

klinpree

Does anybody know anything about the IDP I know its a book which has to be used in conjuction with the original licence , but i have lloke on the web and there seems to be many dodgy scams about. Which is the correct and legal one to use. Many Thanks

This is from the RAC Western Australia site. http://rac.com.au/Media/Media-releases-200...ng-permits.aspx

Counterfeit international driving permits

07 December 2007

The RAC would like to make the public aware of the circulation of Counterfeit International Driving Permits (IDPs).

IDPs are being offered for sale on the internet, usually at inflated prices. It is a criminal offence to issue, handle or be in possession of an International Driving Permit issued in Australia, other than the authorised legal document.

It is important that members of the public are aware that the sole authorised issuing agent for the Australian Government, in accordance with the United Nations Convention on International Road Traffic of 19 September 1949, is the Australian Automobile Association (AAA) and sold through the State & Territory Motoring Clubs inlcuding the RAC WA.

Please note: Forged IDPs are illegal and can get the holder into a great deal of difficulty with traffic authorities in various countries.

Does anybody know anything about the IDP I know its a book which has to be used in conjuction with the original licence , but i have lloke on the web and there seems to be many dodgy scams about. Which is the correct and legal one to use. Many Thanks

What do you want to know? you will have to give more information, ie the counrty that issued your driving license would be good, the IDP is an extention of that license, and why you want one, they are not all acceptable in many countries its the counrty of origin thats the key :o

What do you want to know? you will have to give more information, ie the counrty that issued your driving license would be good, the IDP is an extention of that license, and why you want one, they are not all acceptable in many countries its the counrty of origin thats the key :o

It is also important where you intend to use your IDP, since they come in two flavours, according to the 1949 convention and according to the 1968 convention. Several countries, Thailand springs to mind, have not ratified the 1968 convention and consequently will not accept IDPs issued in accordance with that convention.

/ Priceless

Mine is red and has a picture of the Thai King on it;

Seems to be accepted most places....:o

I'm from Switzerland. Thai IDL and Swiss looks almost exactly the same. I never see a picture of the King on a Thai IDL. The only place to get it is in Bangkok Moe Chit, Ministery of Land Transportation. Anything else is illigal.

post-36457-1224089613_thumb.jpg

Yes it's not a problem, I passed through few police check point with my national driving license plus the International driving license.

The good point is... u can get directly the Thai driving license (without any test) for 1 year the first time if you show both documents and a valid non imm visa B + work permit. You can then apply for a 5 years TDL.

Seems to be accepted most places....:D

If its Thai it might be accepted in some countries for a limited period BUT you won't get insurance and you had best check if you rent a car that you have insurance, be very clear about that !!! :o

In the UK, the RAC and the AA issue them and not the DVLA(Driver Vehicle Licencing Authority). They cost about 5GPB and last one year. If you are located elsewhere I suggest you try the respective countries Driving Associations.

Dave

They're also available from major Post Offices for the same £5.

The Thai IDP is delivered to farangs who have the 5-year Thai driver's license (but not the initial one-year). Valid for one year. From personal experience it is accepted with no fuss by Hertz USA, Hertz Switzerland and Europcar Belgium. Looks exactly like the Belgian IDP I used to get there decades ago before I settled down here, so Thailand certainly follows the multi-language international format for its IDP. Get it while you wait at the address given by a previous OP. You'll need your Thai driver's license and photocopy, passport and ID page photocopy, an immigration or home embassy residence certificate, plus a couple pictures and some satangs.

Khao San Road street traders might offer fancy "IDP", even "UN IDP". Of course these are worthless and illegal.

I got mine(Intl Driving Permit) from a post office in uk,main office, about £5, in August this year. Have a non immigrant O visa, went to get Thai Driving Licence, had residents certificate , from Jomtien Immigration Office, , easy and helpful.(The driving licence dept. kept the original residents certificate though, so get two copies)

At the licencing office I only produced IDP,( on purpose, as I wanted to see if I would get asked for the national licence, which I have, of course, photo part), but got both car and motorcycle licences with no fuss, no driving test but did take reaction test, colour blindness test at the driving licence office, again very helpful.

I did notice that they seemed to be issuing licences very easily, to locals and Farangs alike, as long as paperwork was in order. Highly recommend anyone from UK to get to the post office, two forms of id needed,( so Passport and driving licence),and obtain the IDP, a very basic looking document.

I imagine easy for other europeans too.

Seems to be accepted most places.... :D

Might not be accepted when you've just caused (or been involved in) a fatal accident :D

/ Priceless

What... this dead drivers got the wrong license :o

I should (not have to) point out that I do have a UK drivers license, just not the International license (which is just a piece of paper you pay for - not an additional qualification).

The issues and answers column in the Phuket Gazette has this answer from 2004

“Anyone wishing to apply for a Thai International Driving License should bring a copy of their Thai car driving license, passport, visa, address confirmation paper – this confirms their address in Thailand and is available from Phuket Provincial Immigration Office – and three three-inch pictures to the PPTO office, along with the fee, which is 505 baht.

It takes around one month to process an international license, as the application has to be sent to Bangkok. The Thai International Driving License is valid for one year only.”

Saturday, October 23, 2004 Teerayuth Prasertphol, Chief of the Phuket Provincial Transportation Office (PPTO).

http://phuketgazette.com/issuesanswers/details.asp?id=754

• 4 weeks later...

The following backs up what i was told when i initially used an IDL the U.K. by the AA, i was also given a list of countries i could use it in and for how long you can use it.

Exchanging a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand

Information on who can drive on a foreign driver's licence, and for how long. Information on when, where and how to exchange a license.

To drive or lease a car in Thailand it is necessary to have a valid international or Thai driver's licence.

After three months in Thailand a Thai driving licence must be obtained. However, a foreign or international driving licence will allow the applicant to be excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving licence.

Note: Although international driving licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, AFTER 3 MONTHS many comprehensive insurance policies are made VOID if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid.

Unquote

It is important that you apply for a TDL if you are staying longer than 3 months.

I was led to believe that this 3 month period applies from the date of your latest entry into Thailand and within the 1 year period of the validity of the IDL.

After one year you have to get a new IDL issued / from the expiry date of your current issue.

Please do not alter or use a suspected forgery ( as some no brainer / bar lawyer, know all about nothing, advised me to do ) as this will invalidate any insurance cover you are entitled to and you are also committing a traffic offence that could prove very costly.

Safe driving and please remember every time you drive it is a new experience and what has happened during past incidents do not allow for unpredictablity nor can you judge prior experiences as knowledge relating to how people drive here.

Amazing Thailand definitely applies in this instance.

If i may be allowed to observe without appearing offensive in any way

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Since many, many years I drive with an Int. drivers license in Thailand. Got this one on the net.

I had a major accident with my car and my insurance paid fully. (Asked the insurance company if you are covered when driving with a IDL.)

I have to drive on a regular basis to the north. There are numerous police controls where they demand to see the drivers license. Never, never had any problems; in the contrary they always give my back the IDL after a few seconds and without reading it. (I suspect that they simply are not able to read it) Same happened when I am "speeding" on the highway to Pattaya and have to pay the tea money.

Didier

Edited by wca01