Landing In Bangkok: What Do I Need With Me?

I have booked a flight ticket to Bangkok on Sunday and will be staying for about 10 days (tourist). I hold a South African passport and according to all websites I do not need a visa for tourist entry into thailand for short stay (less than 30 days).

I hope someone can maybe shed some light on some questions I have?

1) What do I need to have in hand luggage apart from my passport? Do I need bank statements for proof of funds? Do I need to provide proof of accomodation (ie confirmation of hotel booking)? Anything else?

2) Although Thailand is main place of my stay, I was thinking of going to Cambodia for two days to Angor Wat. Will I be able to do that (cross borders over and back to thailand) on only my South African passport?

Thanks! I am really looking forward to a (hard earned) much needed vacation in thailand!

Henry

1.No need for that. I have never been asked proof of funds and seen no reports of it.

2. You get visa at border for Cambodia. I think its 1100 baht. You then return and get another 30 days for Thailand.

Be sure you have a round trip or onward travel. Airlines can refuse boarding without it. Also 6 months on passport.

Have a good trip.

Edit: Link to Cambodia evisa: http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/vindex.aspx

Edited by ubonjoe

Officialy they could also check if you have a return ticket within 30 days and if you have enough cash. Never heard about they checking cash at the airport and the return ticket you have.On board the airplane you will get a form you will have to fill in, and togehjter with your passport that is it.

You will be fine just have a nice holliday.

SA is on the list of visa exempt countries so you just need you passport and a confirmed outward flight ticket (e-ticket is okay) that departs the Kingdom within 30 days - this can be the return portion of your ticket or an onward flight to another country - but it must be a flight. You'll fill in a visa form on the flight with hotel name - again, never been asked for proof beyond this but take an email confirmation with you if you feel nervous.

Technically you need 'access to' 20,000 THB living expenses, so by all means bring a bank statement, but I've never been asked for proof of funds (its only a few hundred GBP - less than half the flight ticket).

No problem popping over to Cambodia for a few days, stamp out and then stamp back in (you will have your onward flight back to SA to satisfy requirements).

Only two days in Angkor - gonna be busy!

(If you do the dawn thing, watch the sunrise from behind the library first than move over to the left hand pool where most of the photographers gather for a second bite of the cherry)

Enjoy,

K.

Hi

Thanks for all the replies!! Didnt expect replies this fast!!! :o

I have a ticket from London Heathrow to Bangkok (Sunday) with return flight from Bangkok to Heathrow 10 days later... it will probably be e-ticket but I will have proof of onward (backward) journey so I am not too worried about that. I will print my accomodation arrangements anyway, even if it is only for the adress and booking information to get to the hotel.

The news about travel to Cambodia is fantastic - I will definately see if I can fit that in!

I have been googling a bit as well - I hope you guys wouldnt mind another question or two?

- I will arrive in bangkok - I plan on bringing ample funds (+- 1000 pounds ie 60 000 baht) - in form of credit card (Mastercard). Will I be required to pay for a "tourist visa" (as part of the visa application form I get on the flight) or entry once I land - and if so can I use the credit card? Also I assume I should not have any problems to withdraw cash using my Mastercard or using it (swipe it) for bigger payments like hotel stay?

- I read some rumours that as tourist you need to carry your passport with you all the time - is this true? I have made the habit of always taking photocopies (certified by police / lawyers) of my passport with me just in case. Any comment on this?

This is my first time to Thailand and really looking forward to it!!

Cheers

Henry

Carrying passport - threads discussing this here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Carry-Passpo...=carry+passport

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Law-Requring...=carry+passport

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Big-Deal-Car...=carry+passport

I do, most people seem not to.

Credit card - Can be used many places and in ATMs but be careful. I tend to just use ATMs of major banks and preferably actually attached to bank branches. You will get stung with credit card charges - check with your provider first. Also make sure your credit card company know you will be using the card in Thailand on those dates - otherwise they will block your card when your try to use it and it's an expensive phone call back home and a day or two's wait for it to be unblocked.

You don't pay for visa on arrival, but there is an airport tax payable on the way out so remember to have some cash with you when you get to the airport (THB 700 IIRC).

Edited by phaethon

Do not appply for a visa on arrival and ignore the signs for that one. You qualify for a visa exempt entry, which is soemthing else and is free.

You will have no problem getting cash from the many ATM's in Thailand.

The airport tax is nowadays included in the ticket. Passengers do no longer pay it at the airport.

Hi

Thanks for all the replies!! Didnt expect replies this fast!!! :o

I have a ticket from London Heathrow to Bangkok (Sunday) with return flight from Bangkok to Heathrow 10 days later... it will probably be e-ticket but I will have proof of onward (backward) journey so I am not too worried about that. I will print my accomodation arrangements anyway, even if it is only for the adress and booking information to get to the hotel.

The news about travel to Cambodia is fantastic - I will definately see if I can fit that in!

I have been googling a bit as well - I hope you guys wouldnt mind another question or two?

- I will arrive in bangkok - I plan on bringing ample funds (+- 1000 pounds ie 60 000 baht) - in form of credit card (Mastercard). Will I be required to pay for a "tourist visa" (as part of the visa application form I get on the flight) or entry once I land - and if so can I use the credit card? Also I assume I should not have any problems to withdraw cash using my Mastercard or using it (swipe it) for bigger payments like hotel stay?

- I read some rumours that as tourist you need to carry your passport with you all the time - is this true? I have made the habit of always taking photocopies (certified by police / lawyers) of my passport with me just in case. Any comment on this?

This is my first time to Thailand and really looking forward to it!!

Cheers

Henry

On a SA passport you dont need a visa, if staying less than 30 days, on arrival just go to the passport control with a filled in landing card (they will give you this on the plane) and you will be stamped in for 30 days.

Credit cards can be used used for just about all hotels, you can withdrawn cash from ATMs, There are no problems using SA bank cards.

Also not sure if you have transport arranged from BKK airport, but if not, do not take a taxi from the touts, or limo services, you will be ripped off, get a normal metered taxi (with the meter on)

On your passport, carry a photocopy with you, and keep your passport locked up at the hotel. If you go anywhere and decide to rent a motorbike, jetski etc...do not give your passport to any of the operators as security, if they insist, find another place to hire from.

A visit to Cambodia is well worth the effort, you would need to be looking at a minimum of 3 days-2 nights to make it worthwhile.

Indeed you get a free visa exempt stamp, just proceed to immigration. No need to show funds, if they ask, just flash your credit card. Airport tax indeed is included into the ticket.

For Cambodia, the best/cheapest way is to get to Mochit (nothern bus terminal) and get the first class bus to Aran, 4 hours, 236 baht. Then tuk tuk to the border (80 baht), cross the border (visa on arrival for 20 USD, but they might squeeze you a bit, for some additional greenbacks), then taxi to Siem Reap, (35-50 USD, 2,5 hours. Do the same going back. Under no circumstance, get onto the cheap Khao San Road buses, your journey will take much longer that way, the nickname for such a bus is scam bus :o

You could fly, but from BKK, Bangkok Airways has a monopoly on flights on that route, so they are expensive, also in Cambodia you pay 25 USD exit tax when leaving by air, something that is not included into the ticket).

Been like 2 years now that the airport tax is inlcuded on the ticket.

In theory. I paid it last Jaunary (flying with Thai) and others have reported being asked for it even though it's marked on their ticket. Maybe the system has settled down now, but I think I'd rather turn up with some cash in my pocket just in case - can always find something to spend it on on the 'other side'. :o