Help With Trouble Shooting Wireless Connection On Vista

Sabum

Hey, my apartment has a god awful internet middle man that connects us to True. I pay 900 baht a month (I would pay more for a decent connection if possible) to get a card with a username and password to connect to their network. It expires after a month. Anyway, the land line is adequate, but wireless has always been slow. I bought a new computer with tons of Ram and use Vista 64 bit. The modem for the landline doesnt work with Vista, so I bought a wireless card and it worked, badly but it worked for over a week. Every day at 3 pm these guys reset, no idea why, but I have to relog on every day at 3pm after being disconnected for 10 minutes. Today for some reason when they disconnected me I could not relog back on. I can connect to the network, but when I open a webpage it doesnt go to the usual login page, it just times out. The internet IS working on the landline on my other pc (XP) and the wireless for my laptop (XP).... so this is definately just my computer or just Vista. I just dont understand why it would suddenly stop working after the reset. The middle man of course says nothing is wrong.

Im using a linksys wireless G card on a brand new high end pc with Vista 64.

Any steps to locate the problem? Im very good at following directions and will post the answers and results right away.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if this helps .... but we have the same problem in the office. The XP laptops seem to stay connected all day, but my Vista laptop loses it's connection every afternoon, and the only way I can get it to reconnect is to reset the modem by switching the modem off then on.

I'm considering removing Vista and installing XP to improve stability.

Well the reset at 3pm everyday is across the board, every computer in the building gets disconnected and we all have to relog in.

Anyway, I realise now that I actually can relog back in, its just sooo slow that it usually times out, I managed to log in and can sometimes VERY slowly get a webpage open or partially open. So now my big question is, why would my vista pc using wireless suddenly be so slow I can barely open a single page yet my landline and laptop xp wireless can work at their usual speeds?

Getting rid of Vista is out of the question... I have 8 gigs of shiny new ram that only vista 64 bit can recognise.... dam_n microsoft and its buggy vista......

Edited by Sabum

it could be something that neither of you have done , wifi can be fickle - 8gig of ram , so I take it this vista machine is not a notebook ?

wifi singnals can degrade and therfore slow for many reasons - 2.4GHz cordless phones . metal objects etc.

I would have a walk around with your laptop and look at the signal strength in different areas , maybe the signal strength has changed

in the appartment I am in at the moment I have a linksys WRT54GL with tomato firmware set up as a wireless ethernet bridge and then LAN to the desktop. The wifi access point is in a position that gives me a weak signal but my setup allows me to place the 54GL in a better position and also crank the power up a bit.

Ya not a laptop. So last night I managed to log on but then it was so slow it couldnt open any pages, so I struggled to log off to use that password on my other computers but it wouldnt, too slow to log off even. So I called the internet middle man (hes 24 hour service, can you believe that? They dont actually ever have any answers or fix anything but they answer the phone at any time) and I asked him to please log me out since I couldnt, I dont know what he did but my wifi started working at normal speed again. I called him back and asked him what he did to fix the problem and he didnt have a clue..... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH