Bring A Bike In To Thailand In Boxes As "parts"

jbeck

I would like to ship a bike to thailand in several boxes and a medium sized crate for the frame, and another one for the engine, as "motorcycle parts" to avoid the whole issue and high duty of shipping a "vehicle".

I have friends who have done this in the phillipines.

Before anyone wastes their time advising me against doing this, please, I am not asking for advice on whether or not to do it, just help and experience from people who might have tried and what went wrong, or have actually done this successfully.

Especially about how it worked out or not, how the duty was calculated, and if it was a problem registering the bike.

And, no, it's not the same kind of bike I could buy there, unless there is a way to purchase a Husqvarna SM450R, which I guess could be another question.

Thanks everyone,

Jeff Beck

Hawaii

Your best bet would be to utilise a larger motorcycle shop that already has experience in do that sort of thing. Was this bike going to be used solely off-road? Because that's seems to be the biggest problem people have with 'importing' bikes in the fashion you're asking. If not, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

BTW, I'm not condoning what you're doing. If you like the bike that much, just pay the dam_n duties.

But that's a topic for another thread......

^^^^^^

What dave_boo said, go through established motorcycle dealership. They pay lesser taxes then individual importers but they'll charge you some handling fees for sure.

the bike is amazing, and i've had alot - more than alot - of bikes.

it's a street legal (in the USA) 450 single, water-cooled, dirt bike, but with street tires and fuel injection, electric start, and tons of goodies, but it comes that way from the factory. If you know the terminology, it's a 'supermoto' bike. 

If the duty is more than a few thousand USD, it's too much and I'll sell it here. That's why as some boxes/small crates, it's just 'parts'.

Does anyone know of a shop that can help, or even just maybe which shops are the BIGGEST?

And I doubt that a yamaha, honda, etc...dealer would want to get involved - at least over here, they'd think they would assume some liability by helping, and they'd rather sell me a bike anyway.

Maybe a private-owned, but relatively big shop?

Thanks,

Jeff

You can get the bike in that way.. But how are you going to get the plate.. Its expensive and complex..

You dont say where your going to live.. But you can import a bike for temporary use for 6 months at a time, then visa run to the border.. I know a few guys with different bikes, one a USA harley thats being doing this for years, maybe 3 or 4 already..

Bear in mind parts and competent mechanics.. You will have to consider doing most work yourself and ordering parts overseas on anything non standard.

You can get the bike in that way.. But how are you going to get the plate.. Its expensive and complex..

You dont say where your going to live.. But you can import a bike for temporary use for 6 months at a time, then visa run to the border.. I know a few guys with different bikes, one a USA harley thats being doing this for years, maybe 3 or 4 already..

Bear in mind parts and competent mechanics.. You will have to consider doing most work yourself and ordering parts overseas on anything non standard.

Where I'm going to live matters? I can ship the bike to anywhere that will work and go get it.

What would I do to the bike by crossing the border - I don't understand this at all.

Good point. I think I asked about registering the bike in the post. Getting the plate. How do I get the plate? Do you have experience with having difficulty getting a plate or know somebody that has done this? How do you know it will be difficult?

I appreciate everyone's concern. But really I am looking to get contact info for someone, maybe a friend you know, that has tried to do, or done this.

That way it's not all guesswork and opinion, but fact.

This is an expensive bike and I would really like to bring it over.

Thanks for your help.

Aloha

'This is an expensive bike and I would really like to bring it over'.

The legal maximum for easy,legal and low cost registration is 250cc anything larger than this is very hard and expensive to get registered, also the bike needs to pass a very stringent emissions test which cost 25,000 baht by itself.

Jeff this is what you have to think about, because over here if you do not bring it in correctly then register it correctly a number of different agency's can take it from you, as in impound it. In the kawasaki ninja thread and the register a bike thread there are details of this.

no matter who you use here if it isn't done properly you could lose the bike. and where you are living matters because of the police and customs dept. if you are in Bangkok beware. if upcountry maybe no problem. the police here are not the same as at home they are more like mafia (corrupt).

i personally would sell yours and buy something when you get here. either a new d-tracker or one the numerous drz 400's that are about. not the same i know but a lot less headaches.

Allan

Allan

Aloha JBeck!

I would recommend you read this post for some useful information and insight into the hurdles and potential pitfalls of importing a bike in parts:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2264409

You can certainly import the bike, but be prepared to invest a lot of time and money, especially if you want to try to obtain legal registration and number plate.

In Bangkok, shops that may be able to help you include RED BARON and TEERA.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I was going to do the same thing...

was told to crate up the bike bits,, and send them to diffarent adresses in thailand...

asked my thai wife..... how can i get a bike engine through the airport.??.

answered..easy...just a bit of tea money...

also heard can get a plate....for a reasonable price.....not to sure on that one..

good luck....................

Aloha JBeck!

I would recommend you read this post for some useful information and insight into the hurdles and potential pitfalls of importing a bike in parts:

You can certainly import the bike, but be prepared to invest a lot of time and money, especially if you want to try to obtain legal registration and number plate.

I'm familiar with the DRZ (air cooled).

I have seen honda XL250 and honda CRF230 there.

Some people take these bikes and convert to supermoto - I can do that.

Basically supermoto means changing tires to street, and wheel size, and big brakes.

Then for the honda, many parts available to increase performance.

I'm just used to riding something of such high performance, incredible stopping power, suspension, etc..

My current bike has it all and riding it is so enjoyable..

Well, too bad.

thanks forum members.

'This is an expensive bike and I would really like to bring it over'.

The legal maximum for easy,legal and low cost registration is 250cc anything larger than this is very hard and expensive to get registered, also the bike needs to pass a very stringent emissions test which cost 25,000 baht by itself.

Jeff this is what you have to think about, because over here if you do not bring it in correctly then register it correctly a number of different agency's can take it from you, as in impound it. In the kawasaki ninja thread and the register a bike thread there are details of this.

no matter who you use here if it isn't done properly you could lose the bike. and where you are living matters because of the police and customs dept. if you are in Bangkok beware. if upcountry maybe no problem. the police here are not the same as at home they are more like mafia (corrupt).

i personally would sell yours and buy something when you get here. either a new d-tracker or one the numerous drz 400's that are about. not the same i know but a lot less headaches.

Allan

Allan

I've seen 1000cc sportbikes, even for sale at dealer. So it's harder to register meaning cost? More scrutiny, forms? Emissions should be fine it's street legal in California which is really really tough.

Still hoping to find someone who has actually done it, or tried.

Whats a d-tracker?

I do it every week. Short answer, its going to cost you a lot of money. The EPA test alone will run you about $2000 and thats just one sheet of paper in a group of papers that can make a tree weep.

The only real show stopper is that you need to have an import license to bring auto or motorcycle parts in. I am not real sure you could get that, and without it I dont think you will be able to clear customs on all the boxes. Some of them will be no problem but anything with a serial number (frame or engine) usually requires an import license.

Its more money than you want to donate for something with uncertain results at best.

jeff, as its a SM i assume you want to use it on the road ?,. there is a major problem, (unless you want to run around rural issan ) .even if you have a receipt for taxes for the frame and engine ( and that is the minimum you will need ) to get that bike registered will be a nightmare,. legally 50-70000 baht,( if at all ) grey book?,. impossible as you wont find another (registered ) husky to clone the book off like hondas etc ...15-25000 baht,.ive been riding enduro bikes unregistered for 10 years,off road bikes so seem to escape the scrutiny,with a husky sm ,no ( or illegal ) plate im afraid you will be opening your wallet more often than a loved up farang with a bg !,... think this through, buy locally id say, but unfortunatly it wont be a husky in thailand i feel,.

Where I'm going to live matters? I can ship the bike to anywhere that will work and go get it.

What would I do to the bike by crossing the border - I don't understand this at all.

Where you live matters as if your central then its a lot more effort to visa run the bike every 6 months.. Or if your upcountry and rural you have much less chance of having it nicked by a over eager thai copper..

The concept of visa running the bike is simple.. You are allowed to bring a bike in, for up to 6 months at a time, while its on the USA plates.. You then leave the country, stamp it out.. Turn around and stamp it in.. Every 6 months.. Its a fair bit of hassle but if you live within a couple of hours of a border its not that bad.

Getting a legit plate will run you about 50 - 80k baht is my guess.. If your lucky.. Unlucky it could be over 100k.. Its all on who you know and who can process it without gouging you.. Theres all kinds of emissions and tests that it could fail if you dont pay the right people..

Aloha JBeck!

I'm familiar with the DRZ (air cooled).

I have seen honda XL250 and honda CRF230 there.

Some people take these bikes and convert to supermoto - I can do that.

Basically supermoto means changing tires to street, and wheel size, and big brakes.

Then for the honda, many parts available to increase performance.

I'm just used to riding something of such high performance, incredible stopping power, suspension, etc..

My current bike has it all and riding it is so enjoyable..

Well, too bad.

thanks forum members.

QUOTE (BigBikeBKK @ 2008-10-14 16:57:36) post_snapback.gifAloha JBeck!

"I'm familiar with the DRZ "(air cooled). DRZ400 is water cooled,.....

Where you live matters as if your central then its a lot more effort to visa run the bike every 6 months.. Or if your upcountry and rural you have much less chance of having it nicked by a over eager thai copper..

The concept of visa running the bike is simple.. You are allowed to bring a bike in, for up to 6 months at a time, while its on the USA plates.. You then leave the country, stamp it out.. Turn around and stamp it in.. Every 6 months.. Its a fair bit of hassle but if you live within a couple of hours of a border its not that bad.

Getting a legit plate will run you about 50 - 80k baht is my guess.. If your lucky.. Unlucky it could be over 100k.. Its all on who you know and who can process it without gouging you.. Theres all kinds of emissions and tests that it could fail if you dont pay the right people..

Unless its different from outside asia the maximum permitted stay for a bike is a month,,immaterail of the riders visa,.this i can guarantee, i flew a bike to cambodia ,registered it there and rode in and out of thailand 10 times, different borders, bribes offered,no good,,,, a month maximum ,thats it !

Unless its different from outside asia the maximum permitted stay for a bike is a month,,immaterail of the riders visa,.this i can guarantee, i flew a bike to cambodia ,registered it there and rode in and out of thailand 10 times, different borders, bribes offered,no good,,,, a month maximum ,thats it !

I can guarantee your wrong..

You can get 1 month at the border.. 2 at the malay broder.. then you go to your local customs house and extend the stay, up to a maximum of 6 months per visit..

I have many mates riding non thai regged bikes long term her locally.. The local customs house is totally OK with it and dont even need a drink to do all the papers.. Its 6 months per visit / exit of the country 100% sure.

Mates have British and USA regged bikes doing this for years.

You can get 1 month at the border.. 2 at the malay broder.. then you go to your local customs house and extend the stay, up to a maximum of 6 months per visit..

I have many mates riding non thai regged bikes long term her locally.. The local customs house is totally OK with it and dont even need a drink to do all the papers.. Its 6 months per visit / exit of the country 100% sure.

Im actually not wrong at all if you read what i wrote (."Unless its different from outside asia the maximum permitted stay for a bike is a month ") .i was talking about in from cambodia ( my friend from sing also only got a month ), although i find it odd that it matters where they are from, i have 2 friends just last friday got their bikes off the plane at bkk from europe and got a month,if what you say is correct im really pleased and will be flying in a new bike to use here.ill keep you posted, as we are all ( almost all ) non residents immaterial of visa why wouldnt they give a longer permit as long as you take it with you when you leave,i will add the customs criteria in 2 weeks when/if i return from cambodia,. :o ps, i CAN guarantee this is wrong for a khymer registered bike as i have tried on numerous occasions at ALL borders "then you go to your local customs house and extend the stay, up to a maximum of 6 months per visit.. Edited by imaneggspurt

Im actually not wrong at all if you read what i wrote (."Unless its different from outside asia the maximum permitted stay for a bike is a month ") .i was talking about in from cambodia ( my friend from sing also only got a month ), although i find it odd that it matters where they are from, i have 2 friends just last friday got their bikes off the plane at bkk from europe and got a month,if what you say is correct im really pleased and will be flying in a new bike to use here.ill keep you posted, as we are all ( almost all ) non residents immaterial of visa why wouldnt they give a longer permit as long as you take it with you when you leave,i will add the customs criteria in 2 weeks when/if i return from cambodia,. :o ps, i CAN guarantee this is wrong for a khymer registered bike as i have tried on numerous occasions at ALL borders "then you go to your local customs house and extend the stay, up to a maximum of 6 months per visit..

so if I ship the whole bike I will be charged a duty and then the duty will be returned when I ship it back (which I won't do)?

Then no need to register, get plate, etc, just go to a 'customs house' and get the one month extended to 6, and keep doing that?

You say per visit - per visit to thailand or visit to per customs house?

My visa will be a long-stay O-A one year.

Im actually not wrong at all if you read what i wrote (."Unless its different from outside asia the maximum permitted stay for a bike is a month ") .i was talking about in from cambodia ( my friend from sing also only got a month ), although i find it odd that it matters where they are from, i have 2 friends just last friday got their bikes off the plane at bkk from europe and got a month,if what you say is correct im really pleased and will be flying in a new bike to use here.ill keep you posted, as we are all ( almost all ) non residents immaterial of visa why wouldnt they give a longer permit as long as you take it with you when you leave,i will add the customs criteria in 2 weeks when/if i return from cambodia,. :o ps, i CAN guarantee this is wrong for a khymer registered bike as i have tried on numerous occasions at ALL borders "then you go to your local customs house and extend the stay, up to a maximum of 6 months per visit..

Doesnt matter where its from.. The initial stamp you get on entry (the one or two month), then gets extended at your local customs office.. For up to 6 months visits at a time.

A non thai bike can stay in country for 6 months without leaving.. Not one month.

Of course if you have some local customs office upcountry, or who wants to be difficult, all bets are off... They may impose some self created limit or say the rule is intended for a one visit and not many etc (never heard of it but wouldnt be surprised to hear it).. My local customs office positively encouraged it, said it was no problem and could be done long term.. even offered me his tel number to pass over in case the airport guys made a problem at 'import'. Personally tho I would think about sending to to KL and riding in.. Have had bad experiences with Phuket airports customs officers.

My advise would be sell the bike and use the money to buy a BMW Xmoto at the BMW dealer in BKK, Chiang Mai or Phuket. Price about 600k THB, no hassle, spare parts etc. available and most importantly; legally registered.

I know of someone who imported a couple of KTM offroads in pieces. He just uses them offroad and never registered them.

so if I ship the whole bike I will be charged a duty and then the duty will be returned when I ship it back (which I won't do)?

Then no need to register, get plate, etc, just go to a 'customs house' and get the one month extended to 6, and keep doing that?

You say per visit - per visit to thailand or visit to per customs house?

My visa will be a long-stay O-A one year.

You dont leave a bond.. The bond is waived and its done 'in trust' on your name..

You get 6 months per visit to Thailand.. How many trips to the customs house depends on the amount of time you get on the initial and subsequent arrival and extensions, I hear different amounts at different borders, seems cambo and Laos (??) are much tighter than Malaysia. I am hazy now but Malaysia may even give you up to your 'permitted to stay' stamp.. Will ask on that one as a buddy does Sadao on his harley.

They REALLY dont like it if you overstay.. Heard very irate stories and threats of 100's of k fines etc..

If you were of a chancer type.. I rode straight in and out of the Malay border at sadao without doing any paperwork in either direction a couple of years ago.. I got off the bike and walked through the foot traffic lane (as I didnt have the proper bike papers) then when I went and rode through the vehicle lane they just saw I was already stamped out and let me ride.. That was both ways.. Now what would happen if the bike was incountry like that ?? Ridden in, but without temp import papers ?? Once the bike is incountry no police ever seem to ask about how long its been here !! Illegal yes, but possible also.

Doesnt matter where its from.. The initial stamp you get on entry (the one or two month), then gets extended at your local customs office.. For up to 6 months visits at a time.

A non thai bike can stay in country for 6 months without leaving.. Not one month.

Of course if you have some local customs office upcountry, or who wants to be difficult, all bets are off... They may impose some self created limit or say the rule is intended for a one visit and not many etc (never heard of it but wouldnt be surprised to hear it).. My local customs office positively encouraged it, said it was no problem and could be done long term.. even offered me his tel number to pass over in case the airport guys made a problem at 'import'. Personally tho I would think about sending to to KL and riding in.. Have had bad experiences with Phuket airports customs officers.

Heres a wager for you. ill bet you 50000 baht you cant get me a 6 month visa on my cambodian registered bike at any thai/cambodian customs house,.,. and hiko my friend here in pattaya does this trip 10 times a year and has a very persuasive manner and has also never had this option..pattaya customs sent me to lam chabang, who declined, also poi pet and also koh kong,( the lady there was very helpful and was on the phone to bkk for 30 mins, same result ) this is all within the last year, as i said im coming back on khymer bike in 2 weeks, lets see if its changed,( or perhaps i can have the number of the source you give )

Bikes dont get visas !!

But I guarantee you that a cambo registered bike can stay in the country for 6 months at a time.. You will get one stamp at entry and extend it at your local customs house without leaving the country for up to 6 months.

Its not about getting the stamp at the border for 6 months.. You extend it once its here.

The details are listed here and fit how I see this being done.

http://www.qsl.net/seanet2004/thai_customs.htm

Temporary Vehicle Import

A temporary vehicle import is a vehicle (including motorcycles) brought into Thailand by a resident of another country, usually for a maximum of six months, while remaining registered in its country of origin. A tourist or traveler may import a motor vehicle into Thailand without payment of Customs taxes and duties provided they intend to take the vehicle from Thailand at the conclusion of the visit.

Documentation and Clearance Procedures

To facilitate tax and duty free entry, a tourist/traveler will be required to put up a cash deposit or a bank guarantee to cover the full Customs taxes and duties. The deposit will be refunded providing the vehicle and attachments are exported within the stipulated period of temporary entry. The minimum documentation required for temporary vehicles imports consists of:

# Temporary Import Declaration Form with a duplicate;

# Vehicle Registration Certificate;

# Identification Card and/or Passport (in case the Logbook of the car imported is in the traveler's name);

# Letter of Attorney (in case the Logbook is not in the name of the traveler);

# Re-Export Deposit; and

# Other relevant documents (if any)

It is also required that complete contents of vehicle be declared at the time of entry into Thailand. If this is not done, you may be subject to a fine and the vehicle and its contents may be seized.

Before a vehicle is released from Customs’ control, a tourist/traveler or authorized person submits a Temporary Vehicle Import Declaration Form and all supporting documents, including a cash deposit or a bank guarantee to cover the full Customs taxes and duties to Customs at the port of entry.

For importation of a motorcycle, a traveler is allowed to offer himself as a guarantee if such motorcycle is imported via 3 ports: the Bangkok International Airport Customs Bureau, Bangkok Port Customs Bureau, and Bangkok Customs Bureau. In case a traveler enters Thailand via regional Customs offices, Customs may allow person other than a traveler to act as a guarantee for temporary vehicle imports. In an exceptional circumstance, provided the traveler is unable to place a deposit in cash or bank guarantee, Customs may also allow such traveler to offer himself as a guarantee.

If an importer meets the necessary requirements mentioned above, the temporary vehicle import will be granted for two months from the date of entry into the country. In an exceptional circumstance, and provided a written request is made in advance, the Thai Customs Department may grant an extension to allow the vehicle to remain in Thailand for up to six months of its arrival in Thailand. The vehicle should be exported out of Thailand within the allowed temporary entry period, and must not be imported with the intention of selling it.

That fits exactly how my mates operate it with Phuket customs office.. They visa run themselves taking the bike, get a couple of months at the Malay border, then when thats ending go to the customs office who extends it (not sure if he does this for 2 months and later 2 more months or one time for 4 months) and then they repeat.

There is also some 'exceptional' circumstances where the bike can stay one or two months more.. Not sure on the details but know that at one time one guys bike wasnt running and wouldnt go to Malay at the end of 6 months.. Because it was needing work and off the road they made some special extension but told him that it was a one time and never again situation.

Bikes dont get visas !!

But I guarantee you that a cambo registered bike can stay in the country for 6 months at a time.. You will get one stamp at entry and extend it at your local customs house without leaving the country for up to 6 months.

Its not about getting the stamp at the border for 6 months.. You extend it once its here.

The details are listed here and fit how I see this being done.

http://www.qsl.net/seanet2004/thai_customs.htm

Temporary Vehicle Import

A temporary vehicle import is a vehicle (including motorcycles) brought into Thailand by a resident of another country, usually for a maximum of six months, while remaining registered in its country of origin. A tourist or traveler may import a motor vehicle into Thailand without payment of Customs taxes and duties provided they intend to take the vehicle from Thailand at the conclusion of the visit.

Documentation and Clearance Procedures

To facilitate tax and duty free entry, a tourist/traveler will be required to put up a cash deposit or a bank guarantee to cover the full Customs taxes and duties. The deposit will be refunded providing the vehicle and attachments are exported within the stipulated period of temporary entry. The minimum documentation required for temporary vehicles imports consists of:

# Temporary Import Declaration Form with a duplicate;

# Vehicle Registration Certificate;

# Identification Card and/or Passport (in case the Logbook of the car imported is in the traveler's name);

# Letter of Attorney (in case the Logbook is not in the name of the traveler);

# Re-Export Deposit; and

# Other relevant documents (if any)

It is also required that complete contents of vehicle be declared at the time of entry into Thailand. If this is not done, you may be subject to a fine and the vehicle and its contents may be seized.

Before a vehicle is released from Customs' control, a tourist/traveler or authorized person submits a Temporary Vehicle Import Declaration Form and all supporting documents, including a cash deposit or a bank guarantee to cover the full Customs taxes and duties to Customs at the port of entry.

For importation of a motorcycle, a traveler is allowed to offer himself as a guarantee if such motorcycle is imported via 3 ports: the Bangkok International Airport Customs Bureau, Bangkok Port Customs Bureau, and Bangkok Customs Bureau. In case a traveler enters Thailand via regional Customs offices, Customs may allow person other than a traveler to act as a guarantee for temporary vehicle imports. In an exceptional circumstance, provided the traveler is unable to place a deposit in cash or bank guarantee, Customs may also allow such traveler to offer himself as a guarantee.

If an importer meets the necessary requirements mentioned above, the temporary vehicle import will be granted for two months from the date of entry into the country. In an exceptional circumstance, and provided a written request is made in advance, the Thai Customs Department may grant an extension to allow the vehicle to remain in Thailand for up to six months of its arrival in Thailand. The vehicle should be exported out of Thailand within the allowed temporary entry period, and must not be imported with the intention of selling it.

That fits exactly how my mates operate it with Phuket customs office.. They visa run themselves taking the bike, get a couple of months at the Malay border, then when thats ending go to the customs office who extends it (not sure if he does this for 2 months and later 2 more months or one time for 4 months) and then they repeat.

There is also some 'exceptional' circumstances where the bike can stay one or two months more.. Not sure on the details but know that at one time one guys bike wasnt running and wouldnt go to Malay at the end of 6 months.. Because it was needing work and off the road they made some special extension but told him that it was a one time and never again situation.

I see it this and i note your comments ( my use of the word visa was misplaced, it should have read permit ), anyway we have copied this and will use it on them, a month at a time we are used to, more than that is unheard of ,( for us ). myself and hiko have been doing monthly border runs intermittently for 7 years ,him more than me as he has an off road bike business, this will ( if we can get it ) will ease things a lot,.but reading your comments again i see you are saying perhaps 3 lots of 2 months, thats a lot different to a 6 month permit, ( but that would help,) i will post the outcome

Hey Jbeck, I'm like you in thinking that a guy should be able to walk in and register a bike he built (or someone built for him). I also got lots of opinions and good comments but few facts. Thread here.

Kawasaki is now selling a 250cc fuel injected SM here. It's cheaper here than the MSRP in the US! :D

It's no 450 Husky but it may stop quicker when kids, dogs, 18-wheelers, cars, mopeds, etc cut you off with no respect for your space or safety. :o

Keep us posted.

Aloha

I see it this and i note your comments ( my use of the word visa was misplaced, it should have read permit ), anyway we have copied this and will use it on them, a month at a time we are used to, more than that is unheard of ,( for us ). myself and hiko have been doing monthly border runs intermittently for 7 years ,him more than me as he has an off road bike business, this will ( if we can get it ) will ease things a lot,.but reading your comments again i see you are saying perhaps 3 lots of 2 months, thats a lot different to a 6 month permit, ( but that would help,) i will post the outcome

I have also been told that the Cambo / Laos side of the country is very tough.. The Malay side with its much higher volume of vehicles is from what I hear easier. As I said before it was so easy I left the country and returned without doing ANY paperwork in either direction.. Tho that is now going back min 3 years.

The 3 lots of 2 month permits / extensions is how it works, but only one trip out of the country.. the rest is done at the local incountry customs house.. Mine is friendly and seems to process this as 'routine' I dont know if others have different views.

Also, and here I am very hazy as I have not personally done this, but close mates have and this is what they explained.. But I think that it may be that you only get the 'bike extension' up to your next permit to stay expiry in your passport.. Again I am not sure on this but I do remember one of the guys saying something along those lines.. OK if you have a non imm but more complex with a tourist visa or 30 day stamp process.

• 1 month later...