Plane Engine Explodes On Take Off

cojones

The 777-300 has nearly the same passenger capacity and range capability as the 747-100/-200 models, but burns one-third less fuel and has 40 percent lower maintenance costs. The overall result for airlines is cash operating costs one-third below early model 747s.

All three makes are more powerful than current engines and offer excellent fuel efficiency, while allowing the 777 to be as quiet as a 767, even though the 777 engines provide 40 percent more power. Key factors in this performance are new, larger-diameter fans with wide-chord fan blade designs and bypass ratios ranging from 6-to-1 to as high as 9-to-1. This compares to the typical 5-to-1 ratio for the engines of today's wide-body jets.

Burns 33% less fuel

Costs 40% less to run

Thrusts 40% more power.

Maybe it was a pidgeon in the engine.

Erm ....... not a lotta peeps knew that! :o

What? About the pidgeons? Oh yeah, it can happen...deffo.

It maybe tecnical faulty but we hope the security in Don Muang airport must be strict due to sept 11 and sountern unrest. After dissolved the parliment we hope everything is okay.

"No bomb in here?"

That was my security check. :o

cv

If I recall correctly our resident expert on aviation matters, DaveYo has mentioned before that he works on 777 engines at BKK airport  :D

Dave - Whats the story?    Can you share any non confidential info?

Our Dave was a L.A.M.E. in the US of A. The very first opportunity for him to comment on something he might know something about, and he's A.W.O.L. :o

Perhaps Dave serviced the engines in question and has fled the scene :D

"Perhaps Dave serviced the engines in question and has fled the scene "

Would seem a very thai thing to do, wouldn't it? :o:D

"Now where did that drunk truck driver make off to?"

Seems you never hear about the authorities catching up with these runners...or perhaps they could care less? :D:D

~WISteve

actually things fall of airplanes all the time just yesterday at SFO during engine start up pieces of the sound insulation blow the back of an S-80 engine while nothing hit the fan blades it did make a big boom, but the plane was still flyable. I am sure that poor guy who got hit would had suffer much more damage had it been "green" ice from the lavatories :o

I must have taken that CX751 flight to the 'Island City' (no, really, that's what they're tying to promote it as :o ) about 40 times.

In fact, I was due to take it this Sunday. Thankfully, that trip has been cancelled.

I fly with CX a lot. Never had a bad experience with them so far, and their fleet has a reputation as being new and well maintained (so far as I know?) Have to admit though that I find their 777-300's hard work comfort wise. Airbus 330's (even TG ones :D ) are better imho

When Boeings was developing the 777 they ran the test engine at high speeds and tossed frozen Turkeys at the intake to see how the engine would stand up to bird strikes.

Throwing a frozen turkey at high speed would not in any way simulate and test strikes by birds. Boeing perhaps bought frozen turkeys, but you can be sure they were not that stupid as to toss the frozen thing. They defrost them first.

A few years ago, was going back to the UK for Xmas - Eva Air on a 747.

It was a wierd flight time - ie 1pm, rather than 1am. Well, I missed the Tuesday flight - out with a friend the night before and woke up at 9am, no bag packed and at least 3.5 hrs to the airport. Travel agents were good and put me on the Thursday flight at no extra expense.

Made that deadline, only to be 40 mins into the flight when I and others around me, heard a bang of some sort. Captain came on the intercom announcing that a slight technical fault had been discovered with the fuel. Therefore, he was circling for a bit dumping fuel and then returning to BKK for an emergency landing.

The plane was pretty full and everyone was put up at The Rembrant Hotel, with free food, telephone calls etc. No free booze!!

The next day, they flew another plane over from Taiwan as some of us leart it was one of the engines that had failed and couldn't be fixed in time.

Obviously, made it back to the UK - 3 days late. The air hostesses were drop dead georgeous.

The captain had said that he could have made it to the UK on two engines, but it wasn't worth the risk, 40 mins into the flight.

When Boeings was developing the 777 they ran the test engine at high speeds and tossed frozen Turkeys at the intake to see how the engine would stand up to bird strikes.

Throwing a frozen turkey at high speed would not in any way simulate and test strikes by birds. Boeing perhaps bought frozen turkeys, but you can be sure they were not that stupid as to toss the frozen thing. They defrost them first.

I think the story went like....

The Americans were testing windshields on jets/planes for bird hits by firing chickens at high speed at the glass. Then they asked the British how the ###### they make their glass so tough as theirs kept breaking. The British replied..."You are defrosting them aren't you?"

Something like that.

looking thru www dot airdisaster dot com it seems the 777 is one of the safest boeings

i cant find many incidents on these, the 747 due to its configuration is more suceptable to landings issues as with 4 engines cross winds represent a real issue as it cant land with a wing up as one normally would in a cross wind as the engines strike with hardly any angle at all, to counter this boening have designed the 747 to be able to land 45 degrees to the runway making for some impressive landings especially at such airports as Kai Tak which is now closed due to these type of problems.

The Airbus on the other hand is probably going to put boeing out of business as they have a modular strategy to their aircraft, train in one model (12 weeks) and its a 2 week upgrade to fly any other model, Boeing do the whole course again(12 weeks). Manuals are also structured the same making maintenance a much lower cost accross the range.

some great pics at www dot airliners dot net

looks like the Bangkok Post article was incorect , hear's what cathay pacific have to say about the matter from their website

02 December 2004

Cathay Pacific's flight CX751 incident

Cathay Pacific Airways clarified facts relating to an incident involving CX751 from Bangkok to Mumbai on 1 December, 2004.

Wire reports referring to a “A Cathay Pacific passenger jet’s left engine exploded minutes after takeoff from the Thai capital Bangkok” are completely incorrect.

CX751 (From Bangkok to Mumbai, Boeing 777-300) turned back to BKK at 18.57L Dec 1 after being airborne at 17.58L. The inner surface of the number one engine left hand D duct collapsed causing seperation of a section of the duct structure. The proximity of the released material to the engine exhaust may have produced some sparks.

The engine continued to operate satisfactorily. CX751 returned to Bangkok as a standard precautionary procedure. The safety of the 345 passengers and 17 crew members on board was not in question.

A plane was dispatched from Hong Kong to pick up the passengers to continue their journey to Mumbai. The scheduled departure time is 01.45L Dec 2.

The aircraft is currently on ground in Bangkok for inspection by Cathay Pacific and Boeing. Both HKCAD and the aviation authorities of Thailand have been informed of the incident.

D Duct

D duct is produced by Boeing and houses the engine thrust reverser. It comes in two halves and wraps around the engine core. A section of the left hand D duct on the No. 1 engine has delaminated, therefore releasing a section of composite material from the affected area. Both Cathay Pacific Engineering and Boeing are inspecting and investigating the incident.

It was reported that fallen debris from CX751 had hit a vehicle. The owner of the vehicle was not injured. Cathay Pacific is closely cooperating with the authorities in Thailand in the investigation of this matter.

come on you guys your just making this up cause I've booked to fly out on Cathey Pacific on the 14th

Joe  :o

Making what up? Are you calling us liars? By the way, you spelt the airline wrong. It's Cathay Pathetic. :D

Yea I know you guys have been itching and scratching on all sorts of things and turning blue waiting for my response.

Tsk Tsk.

I was there and heard it on the aviation radio that something fell off from that plane at 18:00 hours. First thing I said Oh shito not again!!!!

At that point I was wondering where the darn thing ended up at, and then I read this. Lucky fella indeed, for the fact he got something of a piece of history.

But problem is that is Cathay Pacific. Not the airline fleet I work on. In fact many of you boys out there have flown most likely my planes that I have repaired, and tsk tsk, you folks never noticed anything other than a loud bang every now and then. Hehehehehehehe

Dr. PP, and Bronco, and Digger, I am well aware of your terrible impatience for my exclusive comments. Touchie, but shooting dead pigeons into those fan blades sure does cost a lot of money. Once those blades take a hit, time for the cleaners and medical doctors of engineers.

Under normal circumstances that engine gets grounded if it hits those pitiful birds. Did any of you ever notice the smell of that nice ducko of bird meat being grilled at 3,000 degree temps??

Daveyo

to counter this boening have designed the 747 to be able to land 45 degrees to the runway

The 747 does not have a stearable undercarriage to accomodate crosswind landings. But the Boeing B-52 does, and it works quite nicely. But you do have to remember to remove the undercarriage crab angle after you land. If not, it makes for some erratic taxiing (as more than one young Air Force pilot found out the hard way).

Your links to pictures of Kai Tak tell more about why they needed a new airport than why the 747 has landing problems. That laundry-picking approach was almost all right-hand turn to final, not giving enough time to adequately adjust for high cross-winds (or so I've been told). And not having any nearby alternates probably caused some to press-on when they shouldn't have.

But they sure were fun to watch from the ground. :o

Just a brief note, I have always said to many and will say again, composite materials itself under aircraft builders is quite strong and super lightweight, but darn how many of you folks want to fly long haul on a plane made out of plastic composite???????? First hmm I will say Oh say can you see by the plastics early light etc.

As for me I am old fashion. Prefer the tough metal dudes that can withstand to anything. I think that cabin should be able to give you a clear tell tale sign of its percentage inside that plane itself.

Duh??? they even give you plastic plates, and spoons, forks and knives, besides coffee cups, and deserts. Even for you spirit of the drinks. Even your makeshift dinner table that folds down. Include your headphones, and telephones too.

Soon you might be seeing plastic captains and flight attendants.

Duh :D:o:D

Daveyo

just glad it land safely

I live near the airport so I'm just glad it landed there. :D

I am glad that it didn't land outside the door of your home :o

The 777 at launch was said to be the aircraft that boasted a Captain and a dog as the flight crew. The dogs job was to bite the Captain if he touched anything

555555555555555555555 :D

According to the Thai Rath and Daily News (day before yesterday).... the guy (a local lawyer) who owned the car that was scratched by falling debris has filed lawsuit demanding a new car and 2 million Baht in damages.

:o

Hmmmmm, so the man of the hour has filed suit. Hmmmmmm, Cathay Pacific will award him a case of M&M's every week for a year, plus the car repairs, plus some extra pacifiers to keep him happy and crooning with Frank Sinatra's music. Plus by all means an exclusive trip to World Disney all expenses paid. Seeing Daffy and Bugs should straighten him out.

After all that and if he survives their intense activities, Cathay Pacific might send him some Hawaiian girls and teach him the hawaiian dance.

That is worth 2 million Baht. Most airlines never compensate for falling debris. Any one of us can get hit by space junk, so if that happens who do you sue???? Perhaps all the countries involved in the space program. So therefore what he asks for is out of line.

Best he can get is repairs and some extra chocolate eclairs. Yummy.

Daveyo

to counter this boening have designed the 747 to be able to land 45 degrees to the runway

The 747 does not have a stearable undercarriage to accomodate crosswind landings. But the Boeing B-52 does, and it works quite nicely. But you do have to remember to remove the undercarriage crab angle after you land. If not, it makes for some erratic taxiing (as more than one young Air Force pilot found out the hard way).

Your links to pictures of Kai Tak tell more about why they needed a new airport than why the 747 has landing problems. That laundry-picking approach was almost all right-hand turn to final, not giving enough time to adequately adjust for high cross-winds (or so I've been told). And not having any nearby alternates probably caused some to press-on when they shouldn't have.

But they sure were fun to watch from the ground. :o

The 747 does have steerable main landing gear,the inboard landing gear(body gear) steers on the ground to help it turn corners.This is standard on all 747's.It is locked out straight for takeoff and landing.

cheers

Well Kai Tak was indeed a dangerous airport to do any landing of any kind. Many pilots did complain of such and the approach configurations were so tight one mistake you will hit a mountain, and of course the steering to the final approach was so short it was very tricky indeed.

Those pictures you see, show the results of such dangerous maneuvers and timing. By the way also those runways were shorter than most standard for 747 landings. So those pilots did not have much time to make instant adjustments.

Daveyo