Where Is Gold Going In This Market

there are enough examples from history of bank accounts being frozen in the blink of an eye - Weimar Republic , Zimbabwe, Argentina. and why should it be any different this time from the past?

put up now Midas! what viable solution do you suggest?

There is no finish line. ~Nike advertisement

Edited by midas

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naam

• flying

• churchill

• midas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where is gold going? I don't know. I only become interested when it hits my memory bank. I remember 1400 and 1200. When I enter a trade I only look at the 60-day chart for potential gain on flutuation, but flutuations yield little. The big wave had passed. I'm glad that I did capitalize it. Had not my wife always wanted to keep at least 2m in the bank, I could have had made more. Bu

People, gold and silver are now unpreditable. The more you read the more you get yourself screwed. Don't listen to anyone but do read them so you can disguish youself being not one of the idiots that takes it for "they know better".

Shorting the index is the best. Last time I roamed around here asking about the Thai Future Exchange I got ridiculed. I managed to open an account and short the SET50 when SET was about 1050. I made some profit. Now, thing is a bit different. Can you imagine when institution, proprietaty, foreigner having net sale with retailers the one buying but the SET index climbing or not dropping? It's not natural, is it? Now, know that! Can it substain? So, watch and get on the bandwagon when it comes.

if not Gold what?

i did my best to diversify but ran out of ideas. there's is no way squaring the circle and if you read what a dozen gurus have to say you end up with a shitload of "advice", most of it out of reach for the average Joe.

great post

if not Gold what?

i did my best to diversify but ran out of ideas. there's is no way squaring the circle and if you read what a dozen gurus have to say you end up with a shitload of "advice", most of it out of reach for the average Joe.

great post

The answer is land, that's the only thing that can produce anything tangible, so it's not a great post, it's just the usual selective ramblings from naam. If you want to know naam's real opinion on gold go back to page 1 of this post. He was right then......every other post he has made on this topic has been a waste of space.

Edited by theblether

the price of anything is not necessarily based on scarcity or actual intrinsic value but exclusively on offer and demand. the price swings of various precious metals are excellent examples for that claim.

Silver: ~$50 more than three decades ago, below $5 a few years later, up to $48 apr11, presently ~$27

Rhodium: $444 in 2003, $10,000 in 2008, back to $1,350 today

Gold: $850 in 1980, 20 years later $250, sep11 $1,900, today $1,550.

You mean supply and demand? "offer and demand"

Yes I understand this. What I'm saying is is that the supply side has been totally distorted by the creation of all these bits of paper with no basis on any physical reality.

In the event of a systemic failure the paper would be worth nothing and demand for physical would far out strip supply/ available stocks. If u look at Baird & co London you can see they are largely out of stock many coins. I recently spoke to the guernsey mint who said they are moving record amounts of bars and that if much more could result in supply problems.

The resent drop could easily be just the result of a load more paper being added to the system; who knows? Starting a bear curve and then others just jumping on the bandwagon.

I only hold physical gold and silver as a hedge against total collapse, so these up and downs really don't matter to me. The gambling on these manipulated markets where paper with nothing real behind it is traded at practically the same value as the actual commodity itself seems mad.

I also have stocks of food and other survival things. If there was a system collapse i think in the west at least it would only take a mater of weeks or months to restor order and institute rationing as a base to rebuilding a Market economy. I stock plenty more than what Ill most likey need so I'd have valuable trading items incase I run short of this or that. Such a circumstance would b more about living comfortable rather than profiteering to riches off collapse; and the gold or silver price of now or then would of lost all rellavence anyway, but it certainly would be a traded item of value and is a way to take some wealth in to the new era where all paper, numbers on screens etc would of disappeared; property titles would still be respected aswell probably, so once things stabalise atleast your houses will still be there and you can put it to some use if u can assert your authority over it. I pray this situation never happen but it's definitely worth being prepared just incase.

The answer is land, that's the only thing that can produce anything tangible, so it's not a great post, it's just the usual selective ramblings from naam. If you want to know naam's real opinion on gold go back to page 1 of this post. He was right then......every other post he has made on this topic has been a waste of space.

if you want my real opinion on gold don't listen to clowns who "would fly to Hong Kong and buy several thousand physical silver coins if they were available" but read this posting:

for the benefit of those TV-members who are looking for information i consider it my duty to point out flaws, incorrect facts and/or assumptions as well as wishy-washy or outright ridiculous claims.

disclaimer: i (actually "we") hold a substantial amount of physical, paper and 'mining' gold and after the 2009 mother load of investment opportunities (which are gone now) i see fair value in holding a certain percentage of gold because we are facing an uncertain future. but the afore-mentioned does not prevent that i keep on acting as 'advocatus diaboli' in this thread as a counterweight of goldbugs who float on cloud nine.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4021260

The resent drop could easily be just the result of a load more paper being added to the system; who knows? Starting a bear curve and then others just jumping on the bandwagon.

basically that's what this guy said yesterday

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2011/12/29_Von_Greyerz_-_Gold_Will_Trade_$3,000_-_$5,000_in_2012.html

http://kingworldnews...00_in_2012.html

it always puzzles me when i read the comments of gurus who seem to know everything and are able to forecast the future that they run "investment/asset management" companies handling the money of other people.

What I'm saying is is that the supply side has been totally distorted by the creation of all these bits of paper with no basis on any physical reality.

In the event of a systemic failure the paper would be worth nothing and demand for physical would far out strip supply/ available stocks.

exactly the same argument is used by blaming "paper" for outrageous and artificial high prices of other commodities.

it seems obvious that "paper trades" distort the value of individual commodities and assets but nobody knows to what extent.

http://kingworldnews...00_in_2012.html

it always puzzles me when i read the comments of gurus who seem to know everything and are able to forecast the future that they run "investment/asset management" companies handling the money of other people.

and it always puzzles me why anyone would trust the gurus at the likes of The JP Morgue and Goldman Sucks.

Edited by midas

What I'm saying is is that the supply side has been totally distorted by the creation of all these bits of paper with no basis on any physical reality.

In the event of a systemic failure the paper would be worth nothing and demand for physical would far out strip supply/ available stocks.

exactly the same argument is used by blaming "paper" for outrageous and artificial high prices of other commodities.

it seems obvious that "paper trades" distort the value of individual commodities and assets but nobody knows to what extent.

I think that extra, in this case unreal, supply would lead to artificially lower prices.

The over pricing of other commodities, such as oil, grain etc is because of unreal demand distorting the Market; ie speculative investment profiteering by funds etc rather than demand by those who would actualy use said commodities. Something really needs to be done to get things back to reality.

Anyway, the market sentiment has been gloomy to say the least, so people have rushed to Gold, spiking the price. I predict a resolution ofthe Euro crisis in March, because Europe has no choice but to take the medicine, the markets will settle down and look for the next victim. That's what markets do.

they discuss this possibility at 1.09 minutes in this video

so - cutting through the 'noise' - where's it going in next 3 months?

Who really knows eh?

But it did just end its 11th straight year higher than the year before.

Not that it means it is a good investment per se' :)

All the indicators are that gold is correcting. I expect there to be terrific buying opportunities in Jan/Feb before the bull returns. The year end figure for gold will be a new high. For the near term the gold market is taking a breather.

My prediction? In the near term gold will go to somewhere between $1200 - $1300, but, if we are lucky, it could even go to as low as the $900 region.

Silver will remain neutral for 2012. I also expect terrific buying opportunities in silver in the opening couple of months of the year.

I am targeting a silver purchase at the $20- $21 area.

All the indicators are that gold is correcting. I expect there to be terrific buying opportunities in Jan/Feb before the bull returns. The year end figure for gold will be a new high. For the near term the gold market is taking a breather.

My prediction? In the near term gold will go to somewhere between $1200 - $1300, but, if we are lucky, it could even go to as low as the $900 region.

Silver will remain neutral for 2012. I also expect terrific buying opportunities in silver in the opening couple of months of the year.

John Embry doesn't agree with you...........

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2012/1/3_John_Embry_-_Gold_Will_Not_Trade_Below_%241%2C500_Ever_Again.html

John Embry doesn't agree with you...........

http://kingworldnews...Ever_Again.html

I enjoy reading King World News, however I do worry about the numbers of contributors who keep being interviewed repeatedly and every time state that gold is going to do nothing but go up. This is ridiculous. No market, especially commodities, goes up in a straight line.

I also have concerns that whenever the gold market goes down most of the contributors always blame it on "market manipulators" or "the cartel", when the truth is that it is just the dynamics of the market in operation. They blame any downward movement of gold on the market "getting smashed" by "manipulators", and do so in my opinion to cover their a$$ because the last time they were on they said it would go up! In other words it is just an excuse for them having been completely wrong about the direction in which the market would head.

What I am saying is that many of the people interviewed have severe conflicts of interest. As an example, John Embry is never, ever going to say "I am bearish on precious metals in the short-term" because he is part of Sprott Asset Management - and to say such a thing will mean people will sell out of their Sprott investments..... Do you see where I am going here?

In my opinion it is much better to follow the commentary of investors with a long history of success who are independent of such a conflict of interest.

In my opinion it is much better to follow the commentary of investors with a long history of success who are independent of such a conflict of interest.

what about Jim Rogers and Marc Faber ?

" Faber speaks highly of gold which he says is cheaper today than ten years ago when compared to monetary base expansion and government debt."

http://www.mises.ca/posts/blog/jim-rogers-and-marc-faber-2012-predictions/

" Faber speaks highly of gold which he says is cheaper today than ten years ago when compared to monetary base expansion and government debt."

http://www.mises.ca/...12-predictions/

Jim Rogers definitely. Straight down the line. No BS. I tend to focus on his long term investment recommendations because it is just too difficult to follow his short term trades. And if he moves out of a position and I don't hear about it I could get seriously burned.

For example, the only long term investment I have heard him recommend for some time is agriculture. I have not invested in agriculture however as I have a 'proof of life' rationale and I just have not seen enough life in agriculture. Rogers has been recommending agriculture for years but it has not really done much except for one period of a few months! But I have no doubt that it will prove a great investment.

He also likes gold and silver but has said for some months that he feels the price has been too high and that a correction was due. Sure as hell, down it came from 1900. When he says he is buying you can be confident it is a pretty good time to buy because he hates buying anything for more than bargain basement prices.

His recent commentary that gold will continue correcting aligned with other research I have undertaken so I just hope he is proven right and the coming weeks will provide a great buying opportunity for gold...... and silver!

He also likes gold and silver but has said for some months that he feels the price has been too high and that a correction was due. Sure as hell, down it came from 1900. When he says he is buying you can be confident it is a pretty good time to buy because he hates buying anything for more than bargain basement prices.

His recent commentary that gold will continue correcting aligned with other research I have undertaken so I just hope he is proven right and the coming weeks will provide a great buying opportunity for gold...... and silver!

I also like Jim but I would also say that what he considers bargain basement prices may not work for individuals.

Remember he is buying for a large fund.

Also I am not sure if your buying metals or investing in paper representations of them....Sorry I have not been reading all the posts lately.

In any case....what I am trying to say is for individuals buying physical metals....forget all the timing

..buy on dips if you dont own any.

I have bought all I intend to years ago & have only swapped gold & silver back and forth a few times since.

But as a physical holder of decent quantity I did not think to sell in the least when gold was 1900/oz

After all sourcing a quantity of the form I like + premiums would pretty much mean nothing if I were to buy again now or even at the recent lows of $1550-ish

Just IMO of course.

I did see your earlier post about nothing goes straight up & of course I agree.

But there is nothing based in facts to suggest commodities will crash anytime soon.

There will be thrashing...yes & even more so if the paper game unfolds for what it is

But at the end of the day will prices be lower if paper is found to be misrepresenting the true amounts of physical or higher?

Edited by flying

I also like Jim but I would also say that what he considers bargain basement prices may not work for individuals.

Remember he is buying for a large fund.

Also I am not sure if your buying metals or investing in paper representations of them....Sorry I have not been reading all the posts lately.

In any case....what I am trying to say is for individuals buying physical metals....forget all the timing

..buy on dips if you dont own any.

I have bought all I intend to years ago & have only swapped gold & silver back and forth a few times since.

But as a physical holder of decent quantity I did not think to sell in the least when gold was 1900/oz

After all sourcing a quantity of the form I like + premiums would pretty much mean nothing if I were to buy again now or even at the recent lows of $1550-ish

Just IMO of course.

I did see your earlier post about nothing goes straight up & of course I agree.

But there is nothing based in facts to suggest commodities will crash anytime soon.

There will be thrashing...yes & even more so if the paper game unfolds for what it is

But at the end of the day will prices be lower if paper is found to be misrepresenting the true amounts of physical or higher?

I wish I had stockpiled like yourself years ago. I take my hat off to you and wish I had possessed more foresight. I like your comment about how to buy gold and silver. I only buy physical precious metals. And I would never store it in the USA. They have an unfortunate history of confiscating it when the sh*t hits the fan.

I do understand where you are coming from when you say there is nothing based in facts to say precious metals will crash anytime soon. But Rogers is possibly the best commodities investor, and when he says for months we are due for a correction, and then the price drops from 1900 to 1550, and he says it will likely go to 1200-1300, it is certainly worthy of consideration.

The time frame I am talking about such a drop occurring is only 4 - 6 weeks. I really believe that given it is such a short amount of time a good strategy would be to start averaging in at $1300, then $1200, and at every hundred dollar drop from there with some possibility the price could go below $1000.

As the saying goes, the price of gold goes up the stairs and down the elevator. So worse case scenario, if gold rallies, you won't be left too far behind over 4 - 6 weeks. And the potential pay-off is extremely large.

P.S. absolutely agree to not sell any gold and silver no matter the price! Except when the time comes that it goes parabolic.

Edited by fritter1970

Jim Rogers definitely. Straight down the line. No BS. I tend to focus on his long term investment recommendations because it is just too difficult to follow his short term trades. And if he moves out of a position and I don't hear about it I could get seriously burned.

For example, the only long term investment I have heard him recommend for some time is agriculture. I have not invested in agriculture however as I have a 'proof of life' rationale and I just have not seen enough life in agriculture. Rogers has been recommending agriculture for years but it has not really done much except for one period of a few months! But I have no doubt that it will prove a great investment.

And what about Citi analyst Tom Fitzpatrick ?

Gold Jumps As Citi Says Gold Sell Off Over, Reiterates $2400 Target

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/gold-jumps-citi-says-gold-sell-over-reiterates-2400-target

And what about Citi analyst Tom Fitzpatrick ?

Gold Jumps As Citi Says Gold Sell Off Over, Reiterates $2400 Target

http://www.zerohedge...tes-2400-target

I love these guys who are so successful at investing they have to be a wage-earner with a bank.... better to follow the advice of a self-made billionaire investor like Jim Rogers

What sites do you use to display historical graphs?

I use yahoo finance for almost everything because it is free and so easy, just type EURCHF or AUDCHF and you get the quote, and then click on 1 year graph , 3 months graph or whatever to get a graph. a basic one, but I don't need more.

Problem: yahoo finance is for some reason unable to show historical data/graphs for XAUCHF or even XAUUSD.

What do you use?

what do you guys use to visualize interactive historical charts ?

I lost my bloomberg access years ago and it ain't coming back.