Where Is Gold Going In This Market

and so ???? its now gone back to 1670 so whats your point ???

My point is that it is volatile and not a place of safety.

and you think treasury bills are their is no place of safety at moment so when proper smell the coffee it will be to late but you make your bet and live with it

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naam

• flying

• churchill

• midas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and you think treasury bills are their is no place of safety at moment so when proper smell the coffee it will be to late but you make your bet and live with it

Sure you can but if you are in a place of volatility (BTW, some people are more than happy to trade in this space) and you actually want to be in a place of safety ie reduce your risk exposure, then you might want to reduce your exposure by selling/buying calls/puts ie options. My favourite coffee at Starbucks is a double expresso.

Edited by yoshiwara

waiting for the first one who can name that country (Flying and Yoshiwara are excluded from the guessing game!)

Venezuela

No doubt the interest that investors have in buying bonds from this country and their ability to pay has nothing to do with the fact that they made a very public show of repatriating their gold reserves.thumbsup.gif

I know one guy who has been buying into high interest Latin American bonds for years. I asked him whether he was not worried about losing his investments. His reply was that the returns had been so lucrative that even if they all now went tits-up he would still be well ahead.

waiting for the first one who can name that country (Flying and Yoshiwara are excluded from the guessing game!)

Venezuela

No doubt the interest that investors have in buying bonds from this country and their ability to pay has nothing to do with the fact that they made a very public show of repatriating their gold reserves.thumbsup.gif

investors have interest in Venezuelan bonds because of their high yields and because of the country's crude oil production and crude reserves. in case of a default tankers loaded with crude or payment for it can be sequestered by a court of law. but nobody can lay hands on gold stored in the vaults of Vene's Banco Central.

I know one guy who has been buying into high interest Latin American bonds for years. I asked him whether he was not worried about losing his investments. His reply was that the returns had been so lucrative that even if they all now went tits-up he would still be well ahead.

if he is long enough in (shortly after the "Brady" restructuring) or did a bit of trading in certain years he has multiplied his capital many times. there was a crisis every few years when Latin-Am bonds yielding 20-25% p.a. could be bought.

you are forgetting an important factor 'letitbe' and that is any cash in any bank is unsafe if it exceeds the amount "guaranteed" by a "liquid" government. that's why financial institutions, corporates and high net worth investors park cash temporarily in safe havens like UST, Bunds, Gilts (depending on their currency preference) or directly with Central Banks (the latter does not apply to corporate and private investors) and similar instruments.

in these uncertain times it would be a daring bet to leave a pile of unguaranteed cash in a bank.

Gold just dropped below 1550.

Of course a person using PM's for various reasons....hedge/invest/whatever

Needs to have a premise in place.

If you are a day trader then yes VERY volatile.

If your longer term perhaps you are more than happy with the past 4 years.

Most who have been in this sector for awhile expect volatility short term.

Such is the game of paper IOU's representing that which never was.

But by the same token even a day trader actually enjoys volatility as they make

their investments both for & against at times they deem fit.

Of course a person using PM's for various reasons....hedge/invest/whatever Needs to have a premise in place.

and your premise, Flying, is to hold your horses as far as gold and USD is concerned. the trend seems to be your friend. stay cool and don't disappoint a friend till... he is less friendly.

Of course a person using PM's for various reasons....hedge/invest/whatever Needs to have a premise in place.

and your premise, Flying, is to hold your horses as far as gold and USD is concerned. the trend seems to be your friend. stay cool and don't disappoint a friend till... he is less friendly.

:wai:

When there is no cash .. everything will be sold ...

About those Chinese LME copper deliveries…

'That Chinese companies opted to make costly copper deliveries to close out such unsuccessful shorts– a fact which may now bring both markets back into synch — rather than pay them off in cash. That, in turn, indicates they are copper rich but cash tight.

Could similar patterns be affecting other commodity markets? We wouldn’t be surprised.'

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2012/06/01/1026391/about-those-chinese-lme-copper-deliveries/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Looks like gold got a little boost from the horrible job numbers out of the US.

Sitting at $1581 which is probably on hopes that QE3 is back on....

I would think it will drop back down again in the short term but who really knows with all this fundamental fear everywhere.

Looks like it hit the 50 day MA to the penny at $1604.17 (on my charts anyways) and that seemed to be the resistance that stopped it for now.

If it can hold $1600 into the weekend then might be more up move in store for next week.

Edited by Jayman

Looks like gold got a little boost from the horrible job numbers out of the US.

Sitting at $1581 which is probably on hopes that QE3 is back on....

I would think it will drop back down again in the short term but who really knows with all this fundamental fear everywhere.

Apart from the jobs report the interest rate drop in 10 year Treasuries to an historic sub 1.5% add to the list.

Whether the strong $ can maintain momentum into the second half of the year is a question mark, so some jumping off that escalator.

you are forgetting an important factor 'letitbe' and that is any cash in any bank is unsafe if it exceeds the amount "guaranteed" by a "liquid" government. that's why financial institutions, corporates and high net worth investors park cash temporarily in safe havens like UST, Bunds, Gilts (depending on their currency preference) or directly with Central Banks (the latter does not apply to corporate and private investors) and similar instruments.

in these uncertain times it would be a daring bet to leave a pile of unguaranteed cash in a bank.

i think your getting confused but dont worry it happens with all. All our cash every month gets converted to gold or silver and we hold as little as we can. Im not bothered about so called guarantees from government and 99.99 % of our assets are in property stocks or gold/silver with increasing % in PM's. Every time we get a measly 2000-3000$ of income it gets changed immediate into physical gold/silver here and discussing in your words with Mrs Letitbe tonight bout how were going to live with no fiat she finally understood we just sell 6-8 baht gold each month if needed but then we do live modestly.

i think your getting confused but dont worry it happens with all. All our cash every month gets converted to gold or silver and we hold as little as we can. Im not bothered about so called guarantees from government and 99.99 % of our assets are in property stocks or gold/silver with increasing % in PM's. Every time we get a measly 2000-3000$ of income it gets changed immediate into physical gold/silver here and discussing in your words with Mrs Letitbe tonight bout how were going to live with no fiat she finally understood we just sell 6-8 baht gold each month if needed but then we do live modestly.

no, it's you who is confused! nobody talked about you and your "measley" pittance of cash. talk was about

financial institutions, corporates and high net worth investors [who] park cash temporarily in safe havens like UST, Bunds, Gilts..
and who hold temporarily or for a long time hundreds of billions of worthless fiat cash which they can't convert into gold and silver every month at the next goldshop in Nakhon Nowhere and then, when required, back to worthless fiat cash.

laugh.png

Apart from the jobs report the interest rate drop in 10 year Treasuries to an historic sub 1.5% add to the list.

Whether the strong $ can maintain momentum into the second half of the year is a question mark, so some jumping off that escalator.

jumping off into what? huh.png

me and my missus can squeeze through each month on a measly 150,000 - 200,000 baht.....

ROFLCopter!!!

perhaps the "modestly" view of 'letitbe' is justified? after all the "modestly" THB 150-200k he spends is only worthless fiat paper.

thumbsup.gif

Well yesterday, traders were jumping back into the gold play, but then the Euro went up as well as US markets took a kicking. Me? I am looking at strong dividend bearing equities. Now at over 5% return, that's the equivalent of over 7% purchased within a tax-free ISA. And whether to switch some HKD into SGD if the rate drops below 6:1.

Well yesterday, traders were jumping back into the gold play, but then the Euro went up as well as US markets took a kicking. Me? I am looking at strong dividend bearing equities. Now at over 5% return, that's the equivalent of over 7% purchased within a tax-free ISA. And whether to switch some HKD into SGD if the rate drops below 6:1.

equities? no thank you, no matter what net dividend they provide. but... to each his own.

Carter Worth opines that gold is merely rallying back to the uptrend line (throat) it recently broke and should be shorted. See first part of the video for Gold charts as rest of it is options, FB, etc.:

http://video.cnbc.co...00093602&play=1

Perhaps . .. but another chartist with a bullish view

Gold Forecast- Special Report: The Bull is Back June 1, 2012 smile.png

is the bull really back?

av-8199.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I really like that... very fitting.. I for one hope that this is just a bull trap and personally expect gold to take another hit down before continuing the longer term bull trend. I play the paper gold market on the shorter term so at this point in the game I'm adding to my short position on the rally.

Of course I still hold physical for the longer term and my outlook on that has not changed at all.