Where Is Gold Going In This Market

quote: "That may explain why you failed to anticipate this secular bull market in gold..."

For the record, " even experienced and most successful investors" fail to anticipate bear markets also...

That's for sure, I certainly have.

But actually before Naam's self-serving edit, the full sentence was "That may explain why you failed to anticipate this secular bull market in gold and were so late to participate in it."

Edited by crusader79

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naam

• flying

• churchill

• midas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

quote: "That may explain why you failed to anticipate this secular bull market in gold..."

For the record, " even experienced and most successful investors" fail to anticipate bear markets also...

That's for sure, I certainly have.

But actually before Naam's self-serving edit, the full sentence was "That may explain why you failed to anticipate this secular bull market in gold and were so late to participate in it."

el cheapo yada, yada, yakety yak... diversion... yawn.... what "self serving"? i did not participate buying gold. i made nice profits since may last year trading a couple of mine shares, which react on gold price movements as if leveraged, in-out-in-out-in-out .

all documented in this thread (even links submitted), details and views privately exchanged with two participating TV-members who post here very often, are serious and convinced gold investors (but neither dreamers nor residing -as opposed to many others- on cloud nine) who can confirm my claim.

case closed! i suggest... back to reading essays "how to trade potatoes against real estate in a suburb of Ushuaia".

el cheapo yada, yada, yakety yak... diversion... yawn.... what "self serving"? i did not participate buying gold. i made nice profits since may last year trading a couple of mine shares, which react on gold price movements as if leveraged, in-out-in-out-in-out .

all documented in this thread (even links submitted), details and views privately exchanged with two participating TV-members who post here very often, are serious and convinced gold investors (but neither dreamers nor residing -as opposed to many others- on cloud nine) who can confirm my claim.

case closed! i suggest... back to reading essays "how to trade potatoes against real estate in a suburb of Ushuaia".

Don't worry, we all remember your trades, you bragged about them enough.

I remember thinking: if even this loudmouth is finally capitulating and entering the market, it's time to start thinking about an exit.

I suggest....a subscription to Marc Faber's monthly newsletter. Next time you might be earlier to the market.

Edited by crusader79

loudmouth... subscription to Marc Faber... Next time you might be earlier to the market.

some people just don't have the guts to admit that they were wrong or that they presented bullshit. instead they resort to irrelevant remarks, personal attacks and insults. as i mentioned already... cheap without tangible content!

:lol:

loudmouth... subscription to Marc Faber... Next time you might be earlier to the market.

some people just don't have the guts to admit that they were wrong or that they presented bullshit. instead they resort to irrelevant remarks, personal attacks and insults. as i mentioned already... cheap without tangible content!

:lol:

That's an excellent self-portrait. This 'poor boy' is impressed :D

Edited by crusader79

Flying!

AU/AG ratio 43.69 !

I know !

I saw that too.

But I think I will sit tight awhile

As I told you I did swap out 15% of my physical silver for gold at 47/1

If I were sure I was exiting the US this year I would swap out the rest now too.

But since I am occupied here for at least 2011 I will take a wait & see approach for now as

Silver continues to lead gold higher.

i am still waiting to get in again even though 1818.hk has nicely recovered. my entry point 1,420 still stands @ AU/USD. wish i could find a silver mine (tradeable in Asia) which fluctuates that much.

Yes that 1818 was a real gem for you & I am envious of how well you did on it.

I will keep my ears open for a silver mine for you.

Chok Dee

I will keep my ears open for a silver mine for you

i'd rather prefer to have you here (you know which country i mean), i could use the help of a professional. the natives on the construction site are driving me nucking futs. another 24 hours and i'm flying back to Thailand to regenerate for a week.

I will keep my ears open for a silver mine for you

i'd rather prefer to have you here (you know which country i mean), i could use the help of a professional. the natives on the construction site are driving me nucking futs. another 24 hours and i'm flying back to Thailand to regenerate for a week.

hahah thanks for the compliment but I think I would melt faster than frosty the snowman in the country of your task ;)

Well rest up at home floating in the pool :)

to me it's not confusing Flying. since quite some time a clear trend exists. silver gains progressively when gold rises and loses progressively when gold falls. got any updated long term chart?

Well for me a bit confusing but I should know better than to have expectations....

I thought 47/1 was a turn & gold would resume the leader position.

Now I am wondering where this silver train is heading?

Ultimately I plan to swap more silver out for gold if for nothing else but ease of physical size.

Probably still will....at some point. It is not painful when your swapping ...

Last swap was like buying gold for $560 an ounce...Next swap looks to be under $500/oz

Just trading profit source.....When I loaded up it was 77/1

Yet it is hard to argue with the results so far.

If one entered the AU/AG PM's when I did they are looking at 170% increase in Silver & a little less than 70% in gold...

Saying that alone makes me wonder why I even said gold resume the leader position

Anyone else wondering where silver is headed & why? Aside from the smaller thus more volatile sector

As for long term charts.....Just the usual...I am not much for charts but do smile at that low spot of the V in 08

post-51988-0-44634300-1298260408_thumb.g

post-51988-0-35724600-1298260397_thumb.g

Edited by flying

I am not much for charts...

look closely at the charts Flying. they confirm what i stated. and if the trend keeps on, it would be unwise for an investor -who believes that gold will go up- to get rid of his silver.

I am not much for charts...

look closely at the charts Flying. they confirm what i stated. and if the trend keeps on, it would be unwise for an investor -who believes that gold will go up- to get rid of his silver.

Well.....I am not one to buck a trend & like I said my numbers tell me the tale.

I am not in a rush ;)

Hi Flying - check out this article

Watch the Gold to Silver Ratio

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/News/2011/2/Pages/Watch-the-Gold-to-Silver-Ratio.aspx

and Trader Dan has set up a very informative site at

http://traderdannorcini.blogspot.com/2011_02_20_archive.html

Check back on his comments during this past week /

Thanks Churchill will take a look.

I was surprised when it breached its low this past week.

Who knows....On the one hand I would not complain to see it at 16/1 :D

Silver looking Bullish ! Near Zero Contango in COMEX Silver Futures

some experienced investors do not interprete zero contango as bullish. au contraire! but then... to each his own :ph34r:

and Still looking bullish - and Gold now over $1400 -so as an experienced investor tempted yet ? / :ph34r:

Edited by churchill

Buy at 1343, sell at 1384, 10K leveraged 100 times.

Thank you!

:)

I am still reading all the posts and trying to understand what is being discussed.

My knowledge is improving but still small.

Is this the kind of leverage that Warren Buffett said 'If you don't have leverage you don't get into trouble. It's the only way a smart person can go broke. I always say: If you're smart you don't need it, and if you're dumb you shouldn't be using it.'

If you leverage 100 times, can you lose 100 times your stake?

...I am not much for charts

I'm not much for charts either Flying but I think I can recognize exponential behavior when I see it...

If both gold and silver rise exponentially I don't think they would maintain a ratio especially as things went more vertical.

Yes agreed..... I actually do like to hear what cycle types are saying & have mentioned that here before.

One that I keep up with had the 3rd week of Feb as a turn & I see he seems to have it again.

As a side note he also claims Nov as the month for gold to go parabolic. Will be interesting to watch & see if he is correct again.

I should add... I have never acted on any of the information but watch it out of curiosity. Much like a horoscope ;)

As for Silver...........Yes I also agree that the ratio could continue to drop.

I will continue to swap out more as time goes by for my reasons of ease but.........

At what ratios I am not as sure as I once was.

The link Churchill provided brought something to my attention

post-51988-0-99617900-1298310364_thumb.g

I had not noticed that this was only the 2nd time in quite awhile that these levels were breached.

While I had in the back of my mind the possibility of the ration going quite low I did not know the significance of its present location

so will be watching with interest.

It sits at 41.43/1 as I write

Edited by flying

Buy at 1343, sell at 1384, 10K leveraged 100 times. Thank you! :)

I am still reading all the posts and trying to understand what is being discussed.

Is this the kind of leverage that Warren Buffett said 'If you don't have leverage you don't get into trouble. It's the only way a smart person can go broke. I always say: If you're smart you don't need it, and if you're dumb you shouldn't be using it.'

no, you can only lose your initial investment. but rule of the thumb is "the higher the leverage the sooner you can be wiped out".

Silver looking Bullish ! Near Zero Contango in COMEX Silver Futures

some experienced investors do not interprete zero contango as bullish. au contraire! but then... to each his own :ph34r:

and Still looking bullish - and Gold now over $1400 -so as an experienced investor tempted yet ? / :ph34r:

my targets to buy two specific gold mines again (spot gold $ 1,420 / € 1,050) as well as mine share prices have not yet been reached. besides... i am very busy with some derivative bond trades which demand my full attention. the only thing i regret is that i have not found silver mines to my liking (a tedious and time consuming search/evaluation) which i can trade during asian trading hours.

then there is also Mrs Naam who again started strutting around the house "avec un sourire suffisant" on her face after looking at a spreadsheet how her physical gold holdings are doing :whistling:

Buy at 1343, sell at 1384, 10K leveraged 100 times. Thank you! :)

no, you can only lose your initial investment. but rule of the thumb is "the higher the leverage the sooner you can be wiped out".

Well you can certainly lose more than your original 'margin', its down to your broker/software.

If your leveraged 100 times though, a 1% move against you would lose you your original margin/investment.

So with Gold at new highs Ive ran my ruler over it, and depending on what data I put into my model I get varying Long Term targets, the most poignant of which lie at 1355/65/90, so really anywhere between 1350-1400(!), and then 1575-1600. All rather vague then! :blink:

Theres some less potentially significant targets along the way at 1365, 1460 and 1515 too.

$27.50 is the next hurdle still[spot AG], but the model shows around $32.35 as the next sell signal - not far off a 61.8% retrace of the all time high - with $34.50 and $37.25 likely the following inflexion points.

As before, liklihood of these longer term prices being reached etc etc unknown :)

The 61.8% retrace did nothing for silver, so presumably 34.5 is at least likely eventually.

All bubbles go vertical before they pop, Commods especially. If you look at some multi-year graphs of PM's they certainly look vertical, but the last laugh is the hardest :)