Where Is Gold Going In This Market

crazy :crazy: silver drop when Globex started trading:

Yes I just got home from town & see the Euro/Asian markets not looking too perky for any PM's

Gold down $20/oz

Silver down $3/oz

Platinum down $33/oz

Palladium down $15/oz

Will see what tomorrow brings...would you have any volume indicator for your chart?

Not too worried though

Edited by flying

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naam

• flying

• churchill

• midas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah I think it is an over reaction to the supposed killing of Osama Bin Laden

Of course folks think everything is now all well & good

No mention that the body is probably 10 years dead & also no mention that the

supposed killing in Pakistan will be the reason used to now go into Pakistan

Just my guess

porkbelly futures up? :o

Open Letter From Ted Butler to Custodian of SLV Silver ETF

April 28, 2011

Mr. Laurence D. Fink

Chairman and CEO

BlackRock

55 East 52nd Street

New York, NY 10055

Dear Mr. Fink,

I am writing to alert you to a possible circumstance of fraud and manipulation in your popular ETF, SLV, due to the excessive short-selling of its shares. Current reports indicate the most recent level of total short sales now exceed 36 million shares. This is an increase of more than 14 million shares from the previous reported amount. ShortSqueeze.com

Each share of SLV requires that one ounce of silver be held at the Trust's custodian (minus accumulated ed management fees), according to the prospectus. Since short sellers of SLV shares do not deposit metal with the Trust's custodian, this means that the buyers of the more than 36 million shorted shares of SLV do not have metal backing, as required by the prospectus. It is my belief that many of the shares shorted have been shorted precisely because no physical silver was available to deposit. If I am correct, this may constitute fraud and manipulation, possibly on the part of Authorized Participants (APAs) who make deposits and redemptions of metal in the Trust.

I am a silver analyst and a fan of SLV. I had raised this issue with the previous owner and sponsor of the trust, Barclays Global Investors (BGI). I never did receive a satisfactory answer from BGI about the shorted shares issue, although they did agree to list and publish the bar serial number and weights held in the Trust after I publicly urged them to do so. I am hopeful that BlackRock might be more responsive to this issue.

Publicly-traded ETFs that have specific metal backing are highly unique securities. Perhaps a small short position may be overlooked on a temporary basis until the metal is deposited in the Trust due to logistical considerations. But a short position that represents more than 10% of the outstanding shares issued means that many buyers of the shares have no metal backing. This is clearly not in keeping with the spirit of the prospectus that each share issued be backed by one ounce of silver on deposit with the custodian.

I trust you will look into and rectify this circumstance.

Sincerely,

Ted Butler

Butler Research, LLC

www.butlerresearch.com

No mention that the body is probably 10 years dead & also no mention that the

supposed killing in Pakistan will be the reason used to now go into Pakistan

Just my guess

Surely this can lead to a vast reduction in the security apparatus

in USA if the threat has been removed ? no more groping at the airports-

no more terror alterts ? A potentially big saving for USA ?

Now midas since when do you think the US will be logical?

Yes of course the boogie man is now claimed dead & the TSA can go home along with the

millions spent daily in Afghanistan, Iraq,Pakistan

But no....dont ya know? Now it will be the threat of retaliation that will cause the TSA to swell to true

epic proportions.

Not to mention now the military will have to move into Pakistan since they were obviously hiding this 10 year old corpse.

:lol:

It is May & They need as much diversion this month as they can muster...what with TPTB banging their heads on the debt ceiling & all.

Yes of course the boogie man is now claimed dead & the TSA can go home along with the

But no....dont ya know? Now it will be the threat of retaliation that will cause the TSA to swell to true

epic proportions.

Not to mention now the military will have to move into Pakistan since they were obviously hiding this 10 year old corpse.

It is May & They need as much diversion this month as they can muster...what with TPTB banging their heads on the debt ceiling & all.

The terror alerts will be sky high now. More TSA = jobs growth, duhhhh.... One TSA ''agent'' to hold your balls, one to inspect under them, one to sniff your ass crack, one to supervise the ass-sniffing, etc, etc., etc.

Bullish!!!

Oh and right now would be a great time to pull some shenanigans in the finance markets when the people are distracted. Fun fun fun. Maybe hmm... tank commodities, goose the dollar, and run the stock market higher? The Fed could even give a reach-around and raise rates...

OK,

So help me out here. I can almost follow the logic with the USD and XAU. Bin Laden dies, and presumably that would mean the US can now bring home servicemen, or otherwise curtail their activities in central Asia, thus lessening the burden on the US treasury and the federal deficit. Therefore, USD rises a bit, gold drops a bit. OK...I don't really believe it, but I can understand such a misguided argument.

A $6 drop in silver though???? That just makes no sense. If it was coming because of silver's role as a monetary metal, then it should have been in line with the much more sublime drop in gold. On the commodity side, I would expect that reducing the US military expenditure should actually increase economic activity as that money currently being wasted in Asia can now be put to more productive domestic means. Either way, the disproportionate selloff in silver doesn't really make sense to me.

Or is the prevailing market sentiment that the Taliban were all vampires and now we have no more need for silver bullets?

Doesn't matter in the end. This is just a short blip on the relentless trend upwards. Might be a buying opportunity depending on what happens tomorrow.

Edit: I notice it is recovering now, so apparently others agree that this was just silly.

Edited by gregb

epic proportions.

The terror alerts will be sky high now. More TSA = jobs growth, duhhhh.... One TSA ''agent'' to hold your balls, one to inspect under them, one to sniff your ass crack, one to supervise the ass-sniffing, etc, etc., etc.

Bullish!!!

Oh and right now would be a great time to pull some shenanigans in the finance markets when the people are distracted. Fun fun fun. Maybe hmm... tank commodities, goose the dollar, and run the stock market higher? The Fed could even give a reach-around and raise rates...

it was so much easier in the old days ............ you could just switch the telly

on sit back and watch the news - instead of now having to play three dimensional chess in your mind

every time there is a breaking news story B)

epic proportions.

Bullish!!!

it was so much easier in the old days ............ you could just switch the telly

on sit back and watch the news - instead of now having to play three dimensional chess in your mind

All terror, all the time. Tune in to get the 5 best anti-terror plays to enhance your portfolio and ensure your leisure years.

The whole idea of terror is so pervasive now, it's going to get priced into all markets at some point (if not already)... I agree, it's quite annoying (the constant idea of ''terror,'' or at least the amount of time spent on the subject by the media. Humanity could do so much more..............

gregb, the big moves in silver are due to leveraged speculation (IMO). It will happen until it doesn't. Somebody makes huge money off of those take-downs (and for all of the people who think JPM is ''getting killed,'' I believe they are much smarter than that and have most likely made a killing themselves for 2011 so far.)

Silver is not going to be used for monetary purposes. The leveraged spec will end at some point and it will get crushed along with the other "commodities" which are benefiting from tons of money sloshing around hunting yield/beta. Then the money will go somewhere else. That's just my 2 cents, others may disagree. Personally, I think silver is going to get crushed, but who knows.

P.S. I don't think the US is going to send any meaningful amount of servicemen home, either. If anything else, more war, more more more...... I'd like to be wrong, though.

epic proportions.

Bullish!!!

All terror, all the time. Tune in to get the 5 best anti-terror plays to enhance your portfolio and ensure your leisure years.

Moriarty how about a theory that the media will now be bombarded with stories of imminent terrorist revenge which will push a flight to USD safety ( cough ) with commodities falling ? :ph34r:

P.S. I don't think the US is going to send any meaningful amount of servicemen home, either. If anything else, more war, more more more...... I'd like to be wrong, though.

Some folks inherit star spangled eyes

Ooh, they send you down to war, Lord

And when you ask them, "How much should we give?"

Ooh, they only answer More! more! more! yoh

You're probably not wrong, just like the prophets Orwell, Huxley and Bradbury weren't wrong.

Bullish!!!

Moriarty how about a theory that the media will now be bombarded with stories of imminent terrorist revenge which will push a flight to USD safety ( cough ) with commodities falling ? :ph34r:

The only Moriarty I know was professor Moriarty, the evil antagonist of Sherlock Holmes. He penned a few monographs that had a certain European vogue as I recall. Something having to do with binomial theorems and asteroids? Anyhow, on the terror front, your guess is as good as mine as to what kind of coreographed bullshit we will be presented with next.

b

The only Moriarty I know was professor Moriarty, the evil antagonist of Sherlock Holmes. He penned a few monographs that had a certain European vogue as I recall. Something having to do with binomial theorems and asteroids? Anyhow, on the terror front, your guess is as good as mine as to what kind of coreographed bullshit we will be presented with next.

not that one.. John Moriarty is a 5 star wealth manager and was winner 2010

US Military Industrial Complex.....Employer Of Last Resort ;)

They can play all the games they want with paper IOU's for PM's

The reality of physical is another matter

Today the premium for Silver is $7 an ounce & Gold is $85 an ounce over spot

(both based on eagles but rise is similar for any form )

Don't know about the gold premium because I buy Thai gold and pay a 100 baht spread, but there is a guy on Kitco trying to sell a monster box of maples for $2.50 CAD over spot, and he is complaining none of his local dealers are interested, presumably because they themselves don't have any interest right now. He's having to go direct to Kitco members to unload it. There may be shortages and high premiums at specific sites or specific forms, but there appears to be significant variability from location to location and from one coin to another.

To be honest, I have no idea why getting rid of one minor boogieman should have this kind of effect on the PM markets. I believe it'll be short lived, but I think you might be underestimating the contingent of people who jumped on board for silver's historic rise, but have weak hands. Too early to say what might happen here, but definitely not true about the high physical premiums in general.

However the major online retailers do still seem to be buying and selling, so if you are willing to go mail order then the market seems solid.

Edited by gregb

To be honest, I have no idea why getting rid of one minor boogieman should have this kind of effect on the PM markets. I believe it'll be short lived, but I think you might be underestimating the contingent of people who jumped on board for silver's historic rise, but have weak hands. Too early to say what might happen here, but definitely not true about the high physical premiums in general.

However the major online retailers do still seem to be buying and selling, so if you are willing to go mail order then the market seems solid.

Actually I give no credit to the OBL event & it seems neither did the USD

What we are seeing is just paper manipulation.

In the meantime COMEX is at all time lows of deliverable physical silver

post-51988-0-18672000-1304449382_thumb.p

I am not worried.... as always I use my eye's & brain to process what is or isn't changing in the worlds economy.

My reasons for converting 50% of all liquid assets to metals back in 2008 has not changed...

Edited by flying

Just imagine the volatility when the Navy Seals finally breach Llloyd Blanfein's secret lair and take him out. :o

no joke is that i don't like what i see. nothing really specific, nothing to pinpoint but a funny gut feeling. increasing cash today by ~14% if/when pending sales orders are executed.

wait for it...... wait............

ahahahahhahhahahahahaaahhahhahahhahhHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHHA

yuk-yuks aside.... flying come on, 17% over spot is ridiculous. You may think that spot and physical are disjointed somehow because of ''the lack of physical silver,'' but let's not forgot that for all intents and purposes, across the world, in every commodity, spot IS THE PRICE.

People that don't go by that rule are running secondary (black) markets, and that works in say, drugs...... or stolen items...... or Tickle Me Elmos.... or Jatukarms. Remember how ridiculous those guys got? I see similarities.

Silver sub-18 dollars/oz. by the time rich people are storing their boats at the end of the summer. There, I said it. FWIWICBWTWIT (I don't remember the one lanna uses :) )

15 reasons to invest in gold from Wealth Daily......"

Why Invest in Gold

Why Holding Gold in Your Portfolio Isn't Advisable... It's a Must

15 Fundamental Reasons to Own Gold

1. Global Currency Debasement

The U.S. dollar is fundamentally and technically very weak and should fall dramatically over the next few years. However, other countries are very reluctant to see their currencies appreciate and are resisting the fall of the U.S. dollar. Thus, we are in the early stages of a massive global currency debasement which will see tangibles, and most particularly gold, rise significantly in price.

2. Rising Investment Demand

When the crowd recognizes what is unfolding, they will seek an alternative to paper currencies and financial assets and this will create an enormous investment demand for gold. Own both the physical metal and select mining shares.

3. Alarming Financial Deterioration in the U.S.

In the space of two years, the federal government budget surplus has been transformed into a yawning deficit, which will persist as far as the eye can see. At the same time, the current account deficit has reached levels, which has portended currency collapse in virtually every other instance in history.

4. Negative Real Interest Rates in Reserve Currency (U.S. Dollar)

To combat the deteriorating financial conditions in the U.S., interest rates have been dropped to rock bottom levels, real interest rates are now negative and, according to statements from the Fed spokesmen, are expected to remain so for some time. There has been a very strong historical relationship between negative real interest rates and stronger gold prices.

5. Dramatic Increases in Money Supply in the US and Other Nations

Authorities are terrified about the prospects for deflation given the unprecedented debt burden at all levels of society in the U.S. Fed Governor Ben Bernanke is on record as saying the Fed has a printing press and will use it to combat deflation if necessary. Other nations are following in the U.S.'s footsteps and global money supply is accelerating. This is very gold friendly.

6. Existence of a Huge and Growing Gap between Mine Supply and Traditional Demand

Mined gold is roughly 2,500 tons per year and traditional demand (jewelry, industrial users, etc.) has exceeded this by a considerable margin for a number of years. Some of this gap has been filled by recycled scrap but central bank gold has been the primary source of above-ground supply.

7. Mine Supply is Anticipated to Decline in the next Three to Four Years.

Even if traditional demand continues to erode due to ongoing worldwide economic weakness, the supply/demand imbalance is expected to persist due to a decline in mine supply. Mine supply will contract in the next several years, irrespective of gold prices, due to a dearth of exploration in the post Bre-X era, a shift away from high grading which was necessary for survival in the sub-economic gold price environment of the past five years and the natural exhaustion of existing mines.

8. Large Short Positions

To fill the gap between mine supply and demand, Central Bank gold has been mobilized primarily through the leasing mechanism, which facilitated producer hedging and financial speculation. Strong evidence suggests that between 10,000 and 16,000 tons (30-50% of all Central Bank gold) is currently in the market. This is owed to the Central Banks by the bullion banks, which are the counter party in the transactions.

9. Low Interest Rates Discourage Hedging

Rates are low and falling. With low rates, there isn't sufficient contango to create higher prices in the out years. Thus there is little incentive to hedge and gold producers are not only not hedging, they are reducing their existing hedge positions, thus removing gold from the market.

10. Rising Gold Prices and Low Interest Rates Discourage Financial Speculation on the Short Side.

When gold prices were continuously falling and financial speculators could access Central Bank gold at a minimal leasing rate (0.5 - 1% per year), sell it and reinvest the proceeds in a high yielding bond or Treasury bill, the trade was viewed as a lay-up. Everyone did it and now there are numerous stale short positions. However, these trades now make no sense with a rising gold price and declining interest rates.

11. The Central Banks are Nearing an Inflection Point when they will be Reluctant to Provide more Gold to the Market.

The Central Banks have supplied too much already via the leasing mechanism. In addition, Far Eastern Central Banks who are accumulating enormous quantities of U.S. Dollars are rumored to be buyers of gold to diversify away from the U.S. Dollar.

12. Gold is Increasing in Popularity

Gold is seen in a much more positive light in countries beginning to come to the forefront on the world scene. Prominent developing countries such as China, India and Russia have been accumulating gold. In fact, China with its 1.3 billion people recently established a National Gold Exchange and relaxed control over the asset. Demand in China is expected to rise sharply and could reach 500 tons in the next few years.

13. Gold as Money is Gaining Credence

Islamic nations are investigating a currency backed by gold (the Gold Dinar), the new President of Argentina proposed, during his campaign, a gold backed peso as an antidote for the financial catastrophe which his country has experienced and Russia is talking about a fully convertible currency with gold backing.

14. Rising Geopolitical Tensions

The deteriorating conditions in the Middle East, the U.S. occupation of Iraq, the nuclear ambitions of North Korea and the growing conflict between the U.S. and China due to China's refusal to allow its currency to appreciate against the U.S. dollar headline the geopolitical issues, which could explode at anytime. A fearful public has a tendency to gravitate towards gold.

15. Limited Size of the Total Gold Market Provides Tremendous Leverage

All the physical gold in existence is worth somewhat more than $1 trillion U.S. Dollars while the value of all the publicly traded gold companies in the world is less than $100 billion US dollars. When the fundamentals ultimately encourage a strong flow of capital towards gold and gold equities, the trillions upon trillions worth of paper money could propel both to unfathomably high levels.

Conclusion

Gold is under-valued, under-owned and under-appreciated. It is most assuredly not well understood "

They can play all the games they want with paper IOU's for PM's The reality of physical is another matter

Today the premium for Silver is $7 an ounce & Gold is $85 an ounce over spot (both based on eagles but rise is similar for any form )

somewhere something does not fit Flying. the Mrs bought Crédit Suisse 999.9 in BKK at 14.28hrs (she checked Kitco price with me which was $1,533) and paid THB 46,350/ounce.

using THB TT rate 29.90 (SCB 14.21hrs) = 45,867 = THB 513 = $ 17.16 above spot.

what do you mean by "based on eagles"? coins?

Just imagine the volatility when the Navy Seals finally breach Llloyd Blanfein's secret lair and take him out. :o

no joke is that i don't like what i see. nothing really specific, nothing to pinpoint but a funny gut feeling. increasing cash today by ~14% if/when pending sales orders are executed.

CASH ! in ?

You may be right but I think a buying op /

The HUI continues to be sold off, it was down 19 points to 554. The index is now trading at the same level it was back in late 2010, when gold was around $1,360 /

Just because Soros is selling , so they say - or the end of QE2 -

I think the death/killing of Bin Laden has added to risks in the short term / Euro problems are still there / USD problems are still there ... So why sell ?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P_qQ-C5clwQ/TcBY2l4sDZI/AAAAAAAAHjg/B8fjLoa7hEg/s1600/hui.png

Broken Cup?

Well, the handle sure is broken intra day. Hey, nice call charty. BOOOOOO!! http://biiwii.blogspot.com/2011/05/broken-cup.html

Edited by churchill

'I think the death/killing of Bin Laden' or now Execution , why ? , is going to inflame tensions/

It seems the US has stepped into a mine field of problems ..

Bin Laden’s daughter confirms her father shot dead by US Special Forces in Pakistan

http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2011/05/04/147782.html

'The daughter has reportedly told her Pakistani investigators that the US forces captured her father alive but shot him dead in front of family members.' 

"The daughter has reportedly told her Pakistani investigators that the US forces captured her father alive but shot him dead in front of family members."

not good for The Yewnighted States of America nor for Americans living abroad! :ermm:

"The daughter has reportedly told her Pakistani investigators that the US forces captured her father alive but shot him dead in front of family members."

not good for The Yewnighted States of America nor for Americans living abroad! :ermm:

yikes.

Time to go chameleon and practice non-American-accented English (something like Japanese-accented should fare well, who's going to hate on the Japanese right now?).

Does ''hate'' have parabolic moves and blow-off tops also? It's been increasing steadily, no decrease in sight, unfortunately :(