• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naam

• flying

• churchill

• midas

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Churchill... before i open today's bottle... please have mercy... and tell me...

you are not real goof.gif

Great debate by Naam and Churchill.

Im new to this 'investing' thing so pls go easy :) I spoke to a guy who was a quite knowledgeable and he was extremely bullish on gold, mainly because he thinks the euro will break up and the money papers in europe will become worthless, making gold shoot up...

btw I do not currently have any positions in gold....

Im new to this 'investing' thing so pls go easy smile.png I spoke to a guy who was a quite knowledgeable and he was extremely bullish on gold, mainly because he thinks the euro will break up and the money papers in europe will become worthless, making gold shoot up...

btw I do not currently have any positions in gold....

I would not buy gold at the moment. But I am surely not as knowledgeable as your guy.

I do not think the Eurozone will break up any time soon.

I do not think the Euro will break up any time soon.

I do not think that the Euro will become worthless any time soon, 500,000,000 people use it every day.

As has already been said, the politicians and the central banks banks will prop each other up for a good while yet.

Could this be Naam's answer ......negative interest rates ...

Force banks to lend ... but to who ?

Draghi May Enter Twilight Zone Where Fed Fears To Tread

http://www.bloomberg...s-to-tread.html

-for a limited time ~11 years ago JP¥ provided negative interest rates. didn't work as it was for banksters only.

-would most probably work for small and medium sized companies which are since end of 2008 begging for loans. banksters are not interested to make peanuts interest and taking on debtor risk. they rather "play" investment banking where they rake in money even if once in a while a trader loses a couple of billion or (like Kerviel in 2009) much more.

-since when does a Brit use "to who" and not "to whom? huh.png

mmm...blink.png

missed that last letter ...smile.png

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

mmm...blink.png

yew are eksquoosed.

but inexcusable is that you present a viable solution "..imagine ...loans for people ...so people start investing and spending ...Get the wheels turning" after doubting "don't think that will work".

mmm...blink.png

yew are eksquoosed.

but inexcusable is that you present a viable solution "..imagine ...loans for people ...so people start investing and spending ...Get the wheels turning" after doubting "don't think that will work".

'goodness gracious Churchill! why is it difficult to understand that the money has to go to whoever who spends it, churns the economy, causes scarcity of products which in turn causes producers to increase prices and (God willing) increase salaries and wages of their employees causes inflation. one way to do this to force banks to give loans instead of using liquidity trying to make profits out of thin air via derivatives.'

Quoted from you blink.png

You said ..'' one way to do this to force banks to give loans ' I said ... 'don't think that will work ..imagine ..loans for what ..'

Yes QE of some sort or lower rates but I do not think forcing banks to make loans works ... that is one reason we are where we are.

The main problem is total lack of confidence in any of the politicians in Europe ...and until they can agree on a plan that markets see as viable .. people , I don't think , are going to borrow to invest and I don't expect the banks will be very happy lending either .

Edited by churchill

I see QE as a positive .. what we need is confidence in markets and that central w/bankers know what they are doing .. so inflate markets .. create confidence so people start investing and spending ..

inflated markets don't put money in pockets of people to invest outside the markets. people who have no money but want/need to invest establishing a business or expand an existing business need credit/loans from bloody banks who get the dough shoved up their àrses by central banks.

nowadays a rising DOW, FTSE, Nikkei or DAX doesn't lure a dog away from his gnawed bone. we all have seen that "markets" can be very deceiving. only complete ignorants believe that markets can only go up, up and UP. it's credit/loans and not retained profit that drives expansion of businesses. take a look at the global bond market and add not only the trillions existing but the billions added by big business each and every day.

corporations like Apple which sit on hundreds of billions cash and don't need to issue debt you can count with the fingers on one of your hands.

I see QE as a positive .. what we need is confidence in markets and that central w/bankers know what they are doing .. so inflate markets .. create confidence so people start investing and spending ..

inflated markets don't put money in pockets of people to invest outside the markets. people who have no money but want/need to invest establishing a business or expand an existing business need credit/loans from bloody banks who get the dough shoved up their àrses by central banks.

nowadays a rising DOW, FTSE, Nikkei or DAX doesn't lure a dog away from his gnawed bone. we all have seen that "markets" can be very deceiving. only complete ignorants believe that markets can only go up, up and UP. it's credit/loans and not retained profit that drives expansion of businesses. take a look at the global bond market and add not only the trillions existing but the billions added by big business each and every day.

corporations like Apple which sit on hundreds of billions cash and don't need to issue debt you can count with the fingers on one of your hands.

Excellent post and good to remember that markets and economies are quite different.

Looks like a lot of blood under the bridge here. I came to this topic to perhaps see what gold where gold was going. Looks like a buy, no wait...sell? Any consensus? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Looks like a lot of blood under the bridge here. I came to this topic to perhaps see what gold where gold was going. Looks like a buy, no wait...sell? Any consensus? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Well at the moment it is on a little tear...up $45/oz in the US

Long term I say buy the dips.

On the shorter term we are in a down trend and need to see it break the daily trend line at 1618 to hope for more up move

http://www.box.net/shared/52f1d1cd91bb3942f943

long term i say repeat the seemingly obvious.

short term gold, not 'we' seems to be in a somewhat downward trend but i might be just basing that on recent activity and not on genuine analysis.

overall, surrounded by morons repeating shit they hardly believe themselves.

better to appear 'in the know' than to reveal uncertainty through personal thought and opinion.

just like the locals from the cradle to the grave..

mun mun mun, etc

i agree - let's have some predictions for next week... next month... next year not a lot of noise about nothing

short term gold, not 'we' seems to be in a somewhat downward trend but i might be just basing that on recent activity and not on genuine analysis.

better to appear 'in the know' than to reveal uncertainty through personal thought and opinion.

mun mun mun, etc

I showed you my chart and gave you my analysis. I'm trading it that way. Take it or leave it. If you're just going to add more blah blah blah then you'll prob fit right in around here.

britmaveric

Defender of the Realm

• av-5801.jpg?_r=0
  • Posted 2008-10-18 08:35:44

Platinum/Gold/Silver is on its way down. It's had its run. smile.gif

At the time gold was nearly $1800 an ounce now in July 2012 gold is nearly $1600 an ounce

I think Bitmaverick had it right

Edited by waza

britmaveric

Defender of the Realm

• av-5801.jpg?_r=0
  • Posted 2008-10-18 08:35:44

Platinum/Gold/Silver is on its way down. It's had its run. smile.gif

At the time gold was nearly $1800 an ounce now in July 2012 gold is nearly $1600 an ounce

I think Bitmaverick had it right

I think Britmaverick got it all wrong. His post is dated october 18, 2008 when Gold traded at 780 Dollars.

werhe is glod giong in tsehe mrekats .. I think as I have been saying that for a few years..up .. So have to be wrong at osme oipnt

There are chartists ..... forecasters etc but this chap is generally on the bttuon

http://www.clivemaun...38bc3160ddcfb96

http://www.clivemaun...38bc3160ddcfb96

But I was interested ... any new news from Naam .... This is stuff already understood by those from aonethr penlat

smees ieretnnitsg smile.png

http://news.national...ggs-boson-cern/

and this ...

http://www.wired.com...na-dark-matter/

Edited by churchill

'***Clive Maund: The European Union is a creation of global elitists, the Bilderberg et al, in pursuit of their long-term goal of a world government.*** '

listening to unelected farts like Gollum , Barroso yes why do you think not ?

and .....Please explain ....??....what you mean ? smile.png

***"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations. "

Sir Winston Churchill.***

Might apply to uneducated men, not to educated women.

Edited by churchill

right or wrong I got out of Au this morning on the 'up trend' as I fear it may drop quite a lot soon as the Euro gang will come up with a 'we have got it fixed' crap line and some of the large fiat reserves could buy into the market and Au could fall... but then maybe I have it all wrong :P

Gold Gets an Upgrade

The new Basel III Accord – slated to take effect early next year – holds some significant changes. Among

them, Tier 3 is eliminated and gold is promoted to Tier 1. US regulatory agencies appear to be on board

with this change.

When regulators look at a bank's balance sheet, they rank assets according to a weighting system that

assigns a risk percentage number to each asset. Thus, Treasuries and German bunds (the government's

federal bond), for example, are Tier 1 assets that carry a risk weighting of zero percent. Though our readers

may find this laughable, they are considered the pinnacle of safety. Gold, by contrast, currently carries a risk

weighting of 50%.

But on June 18, the Federal Reserve, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and the Federal

Deposit Insurance Corporation jointly circulated a Financial Institution Letter (FIL-27-2012) to FDICsupervised

banks that proposes to harmonize US regulatory capital rules with Basel III.

At the top of the proposed changes is the new list of "zero-percent risk weighted items," which now includes

"gold bullion," right after "cash."

If the proposals are approved by regulators – and that seems likely since adoption of Basel III is a lock –

then this is a momentous change for the gold market. Now banks will be allowed to hold bullion in their

vaults and count it among their Tier 1 assets. That by itself would be bullish for the gold price, as banks that

recognize gold's unique characteristics seek to stockpile more of it. But that's not all…

Gold Regains Money Status

For one thing, Basel III also stipulates that a bank's Tier 1 holdings must rise from 4% of assets to 6%.

Thus, banks may not only replace a portion of their existing Tier 1 paper with bullion, but use it to meet

some of the extra 2% as well.

In addition, this vote of confidence from the highest monetary authorities gives further impetus to the

remonetization of gold. In essence, what's happening is that henceforth gold will be considered "money" in

virtually the same way as cash or bonds. And banks will be given the choice between holding more of their

core assets in history's most reliable store of value vs. paper backed by nothing more than the promises of

increasingly profligate governments and yielding less than zero in inflation-adjusted terms.

Finally, there is the impact on individual and institutional investors. As regulators and banks increasingly

view gold as having safety on a par with the various paper alternatives, it is logical that they will also see the

need to beef up their own holdings.

Edited by Jayman

right or wrong I got out of Au this morning on the 'up trend' as I fear it may drop quite a lot soon as the Euro gang will come up with a 'we have got it fixed' crap line and some of the large fiat reserves could buy into the market and Au could fall... but then maybe I have it all wrong tongue.png

We are quite happy with our Gold holdings and have no plans to get out, especially because we can soon import our physical Gold to Singapore without paying VAT.

***Thus, banks may not only replace a portion of their existing Tier 1 paper with bullion, but use it to meet

some of the extra 2% as well.***

The gangsters who run the banks will never even think to hold Gold !!!

right or wrong I got out of Au this morning on the 'up trend' as I fear it may drop quite a lot soon as the Euro gang will come up with a 'we have got it fixed' crap line and some of the large fiat reserves could buy into the market and Au could fall... but then maybe I have it all wrong tongue.png

We are quite happy with our Gold holdings and have no plans to get out, especially because we can soon import our physical Gold to Singapore without paying VAT.

who knows? I will get back in later when it drops again - long term you are right

Yeah, hold on to your gold like I do when I got a lot when gold was B4000 or B8000 per one baht weigh.

I sometimes wonder what they are for sitting in the bank vault. I asked my wife to sell some so I could buy a luxury motor like my neighbor who owns a BMW, a Benz, and a Land Rover - there's only one driving. But my wife said the gold got sentimental values. That's that! My wife rules as long as we live ok.

mun mun mun, etc

I showed you my chart and gave you my analysis. I'm trading it that way. Take it or leave it. If you're just going to add more blah blah blah then you'll prob fit right in around here.

if you're just going to cut n paste articles and Sharts and then call them your own opinions & theories, you'll prob fit right in around here...take it or leave it