Filipino Food

ezzra

• 1 month later...
Little Home. Search the forum for posts about locations.

Trying to find Philippino food, for my Filipina girlfriend who is with me in Pattaya.

Unable to find Little Home when I search on this site, any help please!

I did hear about Bahay Pilipino, near the Ruen Thai restaurant on second road, but have been told that it closed down.

In Pattaya, there is the Cafe New Orleans

325/ 19 Moo 10, Soi Pattayaland 2, South Pattaya, Chonburi 20260

This is just some of their Filipino offerings. The chefs are Filipino and they serve very good authentic Filipino food. The portions, however, are mostly very small.

FIESTA FILIPINA . . . MABUHAY!

# PORK/CHICKEN ADOBO - 150

The Philippine’s most famous dish. Chicken, pork or a combination of both smothered in garlic, vinegar, soy sauce and spices. Served with steamed rice.

# SHRIMP/PORK/FISH SINIGANG – 195/175/185

Tamarind-based soup with radish, morning glory, okra, tomatoes and onions. Served with steamed rice

# TINOLANG MANOK - 115

Pieces of chicken sauteed in garlic, onion and ginger then simmered with vegetables. Served with steamed rice

# FRIED SEABASS (500g) – 250

# FRIED BANGUS - 125

# CRISPY PATA - 175

Deep-fried pork knuckles marinated in seasoning. A tasty Filipino favorite. Served with rice

# PANSIT - 150

Stir fried noodles, mixed sauteed vegetables, chicken or pork pieces & seasoned. A very popular Filipino dish.

Edited by Jingthing

This is just some of their Filipino offerings. The chefs are Filipino and they serve very good authentic Filipino food. The portions, however, are mostly very small.

The Philippine’s most famous dish. Chicken, pork or a combination of both smothered in garlic, vinegar, soy sauce and spices. Served with steamed rice.

Tamarind-based soup with radish, morning glory, okra, tomatoes and onions. Served with steamed rice

# TINOLANG MANOK - 115

Pieces of chicken sauteed in garlic, onion and ginger then simmered with vegetables. Served with steamed rice

# FRIED BANGUS - 125

# CRISPY PATA - 175

Deep-fried pork knuckles marinated in seasoning. A tasty Filipino favorite. Served with rice

# PANSIT - 150

Stir fried noodles, mixed sauteed vegetables, chicken or pork pieces & seasoned. A very popular Filipino dish.

Thanks.

Girlfriend says "Lets Go Now!!" "See how you are"

# TINOLANG MANOK - 115

# FRIED BANGUS - 125

# CRISPY PATA - 175

# PANSIT - 150

I thought that this was probably the best Filipino food that I have ever had - better than in the Philipines! :o

I thought that this was probably the best Filipino food that I have ever had - better than in the Philipines! smile.gif

I have had better at special places on the islands and California, but it is better than MOST of the food I had on the islands. Hopefully they are still good. I haven't been in a year or so.

Edited by Jingthing

filipino food is pretty much all the same, even they will tell you that. I wouldnt put too much effort into finding a place, their menu will have about three dishes that are filly then the rest will be western. adobo variations and that really is about it

filipino food is pretty much all the same, even they will tell you that. I wouldnt put too much effort into finding a place, their menu will have about three dishes that are filly then the rest will be western. adobo variations and that really is about it

There is such a thing as fantastic Filipino food. I experienced it twice, once in Manila and once in Cebu (actually Mactan Island) (both seafood oriented places). New Orleans Cafe has a number of dishes, only one adobo. I don't think its fair to trash an entire country's cuisine when it isn't justified. Overall most would say it is not as amazing as Thai food, but that doesn't mean there isn't something to like in it.

Edited by Jingthing

Perhaps you misunderstood, I lived there for two years and regarding traditional food with actual filipino names then there would be no more than five at the most. Ask the fillys what they think of their national food and theyll tell you it aint that great, not coating the people or the country ut the food isnt all that

Perhaps you misunderstood, I lived there for two years and regarding traditional food with actual filipino names then there would be no more than five at the most. Ask the fillys what they think of their national food and theyll tell you it aint that great, not coating the people or the country ut the food isnt all that

OK, I would say the same thing, that Filipinos themselves will tell you their food isn't that hot, but being Filipino, they still want to eat it. I have noticed an enthusiasm for regional specialties of which there are many, most of which would be disturbing the westerners in their contents, and of course then there is the notorious BALUT!

actually pinoy food is more varied than people think, I had decent nosh in Manila, Cebu, Leyte restaurants, but tends to be on the greasy side. Flavours aren't well matched and can be overpowering. I guess that's partly due to the American influence. But as always any cuisine should be tried in their original birthplace, what you get abroad it's often a bastardised, diluted version

guess that's partly due to the American influence.

When in doubt, blame the Americans! You can never go wrong with that.

The islands were a Spanish colony before they were an American colony. The Spanish influence is very apparent in the food culture there.

Yes, I agree there is good variety and some very nice non-vegetarian vegetable dishes.

Edited by Jingthing

pinoy nosh is influenced by many cultures, mainly Malay, Spanish and Chinese, definitely the Spanish have had the stronger influence, no doubt about that. However since the arrival of the AmeriKanos (as pinoy call them) a century ago things have gone gradually downhill. Canned food was introduced to them during WWII, fruit cocktail quite popular, particularly when pinoys added their own ingredients, namely the jackfruit (langka), coconut (buko), and palm nuts (kaong). Nowadays flavours, fattiness and portion sizes are becoming more similar to what is associated with Kano food. One cannot fail to notice that pinoys tend to be little chubbier than other Asians. They even have their version of fast food chain: Jollibee, if you thought McDonald's, Burger King et al were horrid, think again, eat at Jollibee

They even have their version of fast food chain: Jollibee, if you thought McDonald's, Burger King et al were horrid, think again, eat at Jollibee

For once, I have to agree with Sarge. Jollibees is pretty bad.  The burgers don't even deserve the moniker, and the spaghetti is merely mushy pasta with catsup (at least to my taste).  When they opened the first Jollibees in the US in Daly City (outside of San Francisco) people drove up to three hours only to stand in line for two hours to get served.  I guess a taste of home, no matter what that taste is, can be a pretty big driving force.

However, Jollibees aside, I really like much of the Filipino cuisines.  There is some mighty fine food to be eaten not only throughout the nation but also in pockets of Filipino expat communities in the US.

They even have their version of fast food chain: Jollibee, if you thought McDonald's, Burger King et al were horrid, think again, eat at Jollibee

For once, I have to agree with Sarge. Jollibees is pretty bad. The burgers don't even deserve the moniker, and the spaghetti is merely mushy pasta with catsup (at least to my taste). When they opened the first Jollibees in the US in Daly City (outside of San Francisco) people drove up to three hours only to stand in line for two hours to get served. I guess a taste of home, no matter what that taste is, can be a pretty big driving force.

However, Jollibees aside, I really like much of the Filipino cuisines. There is some mighty fine food to be eaten not only throughout the nation but also in pockets of Filipino expat communities in the US.

Of course. Jollibees is HORRIBLE. But it was ridiculous to even presume that judging Filipino cuisine had anything to do with a low quality American style fast food chain from that country in the first place. That would be as silly as saying food in Thailand is horrible because of the bad Thai style pizza at The Pizza Company.

BTW, I did try a Jollibees in the San Francisco suburbs and you do have to scratch your head about their popularity, it is cheap anyway ...

Edited by Jingthing

....But it was ridiculous to even presume that judging Filipino cuisine had anything to do with a low quality American style fast food chain from that country in the first place. That would be as silly as saying food in Thailand is horrible because of the bad Thai style pizza at The Pizza Company.

BTW, I did try a Jollibees in the San Francisco suburbs and you do have to scratch your head about their popularity, it is cheap anyway ...

Learn to read. Filipino food is an example how a reasonable cuisine, with varied foods, has been cheapened, degraded by American influence. The Jollibee copycat fast food enterprise stated in previous post was meant as a flippant remark on how pinoys managed the unthinkable, that is worsening American food. To paraphrase your latest signature: "Learn much, Talk little"

....But it was ridiculous to even presume that judging Filipino cuisine had anything to do with a low quality American style fast food chain from that country in the first place. That would be as silly as saying food in Thailand is horrible because of the bad Thai style pizza at The Pizza Company.

Learn to read. Filipino food is an example how a reasonable cuisine, with varied foods, has been cheapened, degraded by American influence. The Jollibee copycat fast food enterprise stated in previous post was meant as a flippant remark on how pinoys managed the unthinkable, that is worsening American food. To paraphrase your latest signature: "Learn much, Talk little"

I have learned, to READ you.

You have a definite pattern of trashing everything American, whenever, and wherever you can.

Especially about our wonderful American food culture, which rivals any in the world. If you had spent any real eating time in America and don't know that, you had very bad advice about where to eat, or you didn't even try.

You conveyed that the undeniable tendency towards GREASINESS in Filipino cuisine was the fault of the American influence (an absurd charge), and no mention of Jollibies till much later, obviously you had been caught in your tired old American bashing game and were trying to do a DANCE. Nice try, no donut.

post-37101-1227605693_thumb.jpg

Also consider your totally flawed logic:

1. Filipino food is greasy because of American influence

2. A Filipino/American fast food chain is MORE greasy because of Filipino influence

Filipinos just love the PIG FAT. That is it!

You said:

tends to be on the greasy side. Flavours aren't well matched and can be overpowering. I guess that's partly due to the American influence.
Edited by Jingthing

My Filipina girlfriend used to like Jolibee chicken, she is amazed by the high quality of the (spicy) KFC chicken here in Thailand.

The big difference between the Philippine Jollibee, and Thai KFC is the quality of the chicken meat used, Thai chicken meat is far better textured and meaty.

I think the Thai farming methods must be better.

I never thought I would be defending KFC fastfood.

You conveyed that the undeniable tendency towards GREASINESS in Filipino cuisine was the fault of the American influence (an absurd charge), and no mention of Jollibies till much later, obviously you had been caught in your tired old American bashing game and were trying to do a DANCE. Nice try, no donut.

Also consider your totally flawed logic:

1. Filipino food is greasy because of American influence

2. A Filipino/American fast food chain is MORE greasy because of Filipino influence

Filipinos just love the PIG FAT. That is it!

You said:

tends to be on the greasy side. Flavours aren't well matched and can be overpowering. I guess that's partly due to the American influence.

Learn to read part II, and learn to write, to carry forward an argument. Your words of association show someone who has clearly a confused notion of foods and world cuisines. Many great cuisines enjoy pork meat and pig derived products but none would call their food greasy. Greasiness in food not only come from animal fat but also from vegetable fats and oils, lipid material originated from plants. Another source of greasiness is deep fried foods. Overall sloppiness in food preparation and improper handling can be a contributing factor. So, for you to label Filipino food greasy ONLY because they "love the PIG FAT" (sic) and associate Jollibee to that notion, further diminish you credibility on anything food related. An expertise that you claim here on TV but it's routinely ridiculed when you post or start thread about Thai wines (which you admitted never tried), tomato based sauces simmered for hours, saying that your knowledge of Jollibee comes only from a visit to a S. Francisco branch, corny lil' poll thread about hot&spicy cuisines, commenting on Greek cuisine (when you only did a greek ONCE in Hungary) :o the list is endless ....

The Jollibee remark was stated as further notion of copycat bad food from America and not an example of greasiness. Dyslexia, for someone who call himself a "hack writer" it's a major flaw when writing or carrying an argument. Food expertise comes from education, training, working in food the industry, dealing with chefs, food manufacturers, restaurant & hotel owners, major retail multiples & deli stores, travelling and sampling cuisines in their birthplace and much more beside. Being from a country who has a rich culinary culture also helps. Hearsay based generic comments doesn't make you a foodie, rather someone who's a desperate attention seeker. So what's next from you then .... a thread about Zulu food based on the fact that you once shared snacks with a S. African busker at a Rejakavik bust stop?

Sarge, thanks for the stupid rant. You are busted as some having kind of personal vendetta against me and also I think ANY American who asserts he knows something about food. Your litany is so full of lies and distortions as to not be taken seriously, but the most absurd lie is that I only had Greek food one time. I never said such a thing (I did say I had it ONE time in Budapest Hungary typical of you to blow up a statement like that to say I have only had Greek food one time anywhere anyime: this is indicative of how low you will go to make up lies about me. In fact, I used to live near Greektown in Chicago and have toured Greece and frankly the Chicago Greektown food in America was often better. I am sure I know much more about the foods of the world than you based on your obvious Eurocentrism. I have worked in the food industry on the restaurant publicity side, I have socialized with chefs and worked for one of the biggest wine oriented websites on the planet.

I have also traveled and enjoyed Filipino food in the Philippines, it is often greasy with pork fat, that is just a fact. I ate at Jollibies in the bay area as a lark, my Filipino friends there told me the BAD food is exactly the same as on the islands, why waste a meal on the islands on that crap? If you didn't know (I know there is so much you do need to learn) Jollibies has opened a nuimber of locations in America in heavily Filipino areas, to give them that special crappy taste of home (almost all the customers are Filipino).

BTW, you are British, yes? And you have the nerve to attack American palates?

Edited by Jingthing