Take Thai Gf On Holiday To Europe?

I am American and I would like to take my Thai GF on a four-week holiday to Europe next summer (2009)? The plan would be to fly from Bangkok to Germany -- Munich or Frankfurt -- and then travel south to Italy, and back north through Germany to Denmark, Finland and possibly Russia.

We have traveled to a number of ASEAN countries together, but never anywhere that required her to obtain a visa.

Before I start doing a lot of research on individual countries, etc., does anyone have any advice on where to start, and/or, if this is not a good idea.

I'd like to take her to visit America, too, at some point, but I am fairly sure she cannot qualify for an American tourist visa. She does not own real estate, or have very much money, but she has a good work history and strong family ties.

Thanks.

I am American and I would like to take my Thai GF on a four-week holiday to Europe next summer (2009)? The plan would be to fly from Bangkok to Germany -- Munich or Frankfurt -- and then travel south to Italy, and back north through Germany to Denmark, Finland and possibly Russia.

We have traveled to a number of ASEAN countries together, but never anywhere that required her to obtain a visa.

Before I start doing a lot of research on individual countries, etc., does anyone have any advice on where to start, and/or, if this is not a good idea.

I'd like to take her to visit America, too, at some point, but I am fairly sure she cannot qualify for an American tourist visa. She does not own real estate, or have very much money, but she has a good work history and strong family ties.

Thanks.

For Europe you can apply for a Shengen visa which will allow you to enter and visit countries like Germany, France, Italy, Denmark, etc.

Quite a few of European countries are not part of Shengen like the UK, Russia, Switzerland (careful when you go from Germany to Italy and back !) and require separate visas.

Switzerland is an exception (all its bordering countries are part of Shenghen). It allows you with a Shenghen visa to enter Switzerland providing you have a 2 or multi entries Shengen visa allowing to re-enter a Shenghen country or you can show an air ticket out of Switzerland.

I am not sure that your assumption that she does not qualify for a USA visa but would qualify for a European one is correct.

Basically what they are required to do is to ensure she has the funds or has a sponsor who will cover the necessary expenses AND that she will return to Thailand before the end of her visa.

For the Shengen visa you can apply to any Embassy of the Shengen group but the 'rule' says you should apply at the country where you first enter Shenghen or at the country where you will spend most of your time

Some countries require detailed itineraries with plane and hotel bookings, etc. others prepaid travel insurance certificates etc.

Typically if you apply to one of the smaller countries it should not be too difficult

Look at the websites of countries you will be visiting and decide on one to apply....

Do not apply too early as the visa will be valid from day of issue and I think they can only give 3 months within which time you should enter Shengen.

Good luck

Krub: Thank you for your reply.

I have now completed some research on the Shengen visa and it is fairly straightforward.

As I have a large family in Finland, would this (Helsinki) possibly be my best entry point? I could easily obtain a letter of invitation.

Further question:

Assuming my Thai GF qualifies for entry into Finland, would we need to make other arrangements for traveling to other Shengen countries?

Anyone know of any obstacles for a Thai person to visit Russia?

Edited by onomataho

Krub: Thank you for your reply.

I have now completed some research on the Shengen visa and it is fairly straightforward.

As I have a large family in Finland, would this (Helsinki) possibly be my best entry point? I could easily obtain a letter of invitation.

Further question:

Assuming my Thai GF qualifies for entry into Finland, would we need to make other arrangements for traveling to other Shengen countries?

Anyone know of any obstacles for a Thai person to visit Russia?

This will depend on what Finland requires but if you have an invitation letter from family in Finland and they state that they will accommodate you for the whole period of your planned trip, there is no need to make other hotel or trip arrangements (at least to obtain the visa)

Make sure you state the correct period you want the visa for as they can be very restrictive.

The first Shengen visa we received was for exactly 21 days ! within a 3 months period not 1 day more....Also take care to insists it be a multi entry otherwise you will not be able to come back to take your flight home to Thailand after visiting Switzerland or Russia.

Good luck

Vinny Thanks for pointing the Thai-Russia visa exemption info

Edited by Krub