Empty House For A Few Months - How Do You Protect Your Electronics From Humidity?

Tokay

I've been in Thailand for a loooooong time not but this is the first time my place will be empty for about 3 full months. No air con, no fan... nothing but stale air.

I've been told the humidity can cause mold on many things and even damage some electronics as well as stink up your clothes.

Anyone have any problem with this or am I getting worried over nothing?

If it is an issue, what suggestions do you have to cut back on any mold that may spring up while I'm out?

Edited by Tokay

My home is in Florida and it is often home alone because I work on the road. All I do is turn the air up higher than usual. Keep it at 77 F or something like that. Never really had any problems. You want to keep the air moving otherwise the warm humid air during the day, can kind of get stuck inside there during the cooler nights. Sometimes you do get close to the dew point. That is what you want to avoid.

I really don't recommend turning the air off completely.

My home is in Florida and it is often home alone because I work on the road. All I do is turn the air up higher than usual. Keep it at 77 F or something like that. Never really had any problems. You want to keep the air moving otherwise the warm humid air during the day, can kind of get stuck inside there during the cooler nights. Sometimes you do get close to the dew point. That is what you want to avoid.

You think setting the air on a timer to run once or twice a day for an hour or two would do the trick?

You think setting the air on a timer to run once or twice a day for an hour or two would do the trick?

YES!

not sure which would be more reliable, but the idea would be about the same. I would rather not let the air sit still for 22 hours and then run once. Suggest it is better to move it around a bit more frequently than that. if you use a timer give it a few on and off times each day.

Might be worth putting something in the air also. I never really thought of this, but there may be a room air additive you can buy. Kind of like a bug bomb, but for mold and spores. We put some stuff in our house central air conditioner once to knock down the mold in the air ducts and stuff like that. Might be something to use on the whole house before you leave?

Hi,

... my place will be empty for about 3 full months.

... humidity can cause mold on many things and even damage some electronics

If you let your house with nobody during 3 months,

you should not worry too much about humidity & electronics

because you probably will not have electronics any more... :o

Nowdays there are many many houses "visited" around Pattaya

as soon has there is nobody inside for a few days...

But maybe you will be lucky...

Pattaya46

I've been in Thailand for a loooooong time not but this is the first time my place will be empty for about 3 full months. No air con, no fan... nothing but stale air.

I've been told the humidity can cause mold on many things and even damage some electronics as well as stink up your clothes.

If it is an issue, what suggestions do you have to cut back on any mold that may spring up while I'm out?

In all seriousness, I am heading to pattaya october 20. In the USA, I work on the road and have baby sat houses while people were away. In lieu of that, I don't mind helping people out and maybe checking up on your place or something like that while I am there. I have 60 days planned in Thailand, starting in Pattaya. Email me if you want to meet up before you leave.

I live on a high floor in a condo block. I often travel away for a month or two at a time. I just close the curtains and switch off the water, and in four years I have only had one problem. That was the elastic in the waists of my swimming shorts seems to rot while I am away. It only seems to affect the ones I have actually been swimming in, new ones are unaffected. No problem though, the local seamstress soon replaces the elastic. :o

I have some prescription medicines in my room, but I always keep those in Ziploc plastic bags anyway. They are wonderful at keeping the moisture away. I've packed all my new swimming shorts into big Ziploc bags too, just in case.

Apart from that I've never had a problem (touch wood). I leave the fridge and freezer on so there's a cold beer here when I get back. The electronics (PC, TV, DVD player, digital camera, MP3 player, etc.) are unaffected.

I wouldn't waste money leaving the AC on. Just be sure you have curtains or drapes that keep the sun out.

Great replies, thanks to all. :D

An electronics shop suggest getting silica packs and putting them into drawers and putting items like a camera into a large zip lock bag with a silica pack or two to absorb any moisture.

I have a few floor fans, I'm thinking putting them around the place and on times to come and off a few times a day, curtains closed. Should be cheaper than running the aircon.

And yes I agree, there is a good chance there will be nothing here when I return. After our last attempted break in we have really beefed up security here, but these little buggers are sneaky and just as well may come in through the roof. :o

Anyone have a large man eating crocodile or two for sale I could leave inside the house?

Put some clingfilm over your WCs or the water will evaporate out and the place will stink when you get back.

Regarding mold on clothes I've only really had problems with anything white. Packing them in plastic bags and seal them with sticky tape helps, vaccuum packing is better though.

Your electonics should be OK except maybe items that have motors in them. Before you use them again open them up and spray some WD40 on the motor and turn it by hand.

For the last five years I have been working in Middle East and leave the house emplty for 10-11 months of the year. Have had absolutly no issues; clothes fine,electronics ok kitchen appliances -no problem. I just lock the door, turn off electricity and go. No issues so far.

Lefty

For the last five years I have been working in Middle East and leave the house emplty for 10-11 months of the year. Have had absolutly no issues; clothes fine,electronics ok kitchen appliances -no problem. I just lock the door, turn off electricity and go. No issues so far.

Lefty

Agree with Lefty.....have left my house empty for months on end and had no issues either..

Lefty

I have never been to the middle east but i vision it as being a dry climate. I too live in south florida. No need for a timer as the thermostat turns the a/c on and off...(when fan set to auto) the ac is the way to protect it set it to 78-79 and you should be good. a digital thermostat would be best...

Great replies, thanks to all. :D

An electronics shop suggest getting silica packs and putting them into drawers and putting items like a camera into a large zip lock bag with a silica pack or two to absorb any moisture.

I have a few floor fans, I'm thinking putting them around the place and on times to come and off a few times a day, curtains closed. Should be cheaper than running the aircon.

And yes I agree, there is a good chance there will be nothing here when I return. After our last attempted break in we have really beefed up security here, but these little buggers are sneaky and just as well may come in through the roof. :o

Anyone have a large man eating crocodile or two for sale I could leave inside the house?

I used many silica packs when shipping my things over here (by sea) when moving to LOS... Likewise I use them in all the drawers I have things stored in (i.e. anything from paperwork to electronic gadgets). Also when I backed my belongings to be shipped over here I went out and bought a bunch of over-sized Rubbermaid tubs with lids to stash the things in for shipping. I use these as storage bins (with the silica packs) for items that I use infrequently. Haven't had any problems with mold, mildew, or rust yet...

I leave the fridge and freezer on so there's a cold beer here when I get back.

I wouldn't waste money leaving the AC on. Just be sure you have curtains or drapes that keep the sun out.

Seems kind of odd that you will run that fridge all that time for a cold brewski but yet are concerned about saving $$$$.... Good to see you have your priorities straight.... :o