Brazilian Jiu-jitsu In Chiang Mai?

brycat

Does anyone know if there's Brazilian jiu-jitsu/ grappling in Chaing Mai? I've been here for 2 months and haven't found anything. Pedro Lott (a brown belt from BTT) was at Chay Yai Gym, but now he's in Australia. I'd be interested in any BJJ/ grappling clubs too if anything like that is out there. I've been training for about 6 years and am nearly a purple belt if that makes a difference. Please let me know if you have any info/ suggestions. Thanks.

Does anyone know if there's Brazilian jiu-jitsu/ grappling in Chaing Mai? I've been here for 2 months and haven't found anything. Pedro Lott (a brown belt from BTT) was at Chay Yai Gym, but now he's in Australia. I'd be interested in any BJJ/ grappling clubs too if anything like that is out there. I've been training for about 6 years and am nearly a purple belt if that makes a difference. Please let me know if you have any info/ suggestions. Thanks.

As far as I know there's no Jiu-Jitsu clubs in Chiang Mai. I'm currently coaching Judo at the Chiang Mai University. As you well know. there are some similarities. In Chiang Mai there is: Tae-Kwon-Do ( several clubs - one just opened on the Hangdong Rd), Karate, Aikido and of course Thai Boxing. That's about it.

Thanks for the info Nigelmartin. I figured that was the case but thought I'd throw the question out there. I've done a litte judo too. Are your classes only for CMU students or can others attend as well? I'd be interested to drop by if people in addition to university students can take your class. Please let me know. Thanks!

Thanks for the info Nigelmartin. I figured that was the case but thought I'd throw the question out there. I've done a litte judo too. Are your classes only for CMU students or can others attend as well? I'd be interested to drop by if people in addition to university students can take your class. Please let me know. Thanks!

It's not strictly BJJ but pedro Villalobos who runs a Thai boxing club out in Hang Dong incorporates elements of BJJ into his art - his website is www.ancientmuaythai.com.

Edited by anonymouse

As far as I know there's no Jiu-Jitsu clubs in Chiang Mai. I'm currently coaching Judo at the Chiang Mai University. As you well know. there are some similarities. In Chiang Mai there is: Tae-Kwon-Do ( several clubs - one just opened on the Hangdong Rd), Karate, Aikido and of course Thai Boxing. That's about it.

Hello, Nigel.

When and where do you coach Judo at CMU? Can I come and watch?

MSPain

Hello, Nigel.

MSPain

I coach Monday, Wednesday and Friday 630-830pm at Chiang University Gym you can come and watch. If you have problems with security just come and ask for me. Mobile 0819264210

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Nigel,

Joe Evans here, I live in Mae Jo and I am looking for a Judo/ BJJ, class here in chiang Mai, let me know if you here of anything or choose to take side work, I am a member of fitness thailand and exercise there daily. my number is 0857142550. Thanks and Cheers, Joe

How much do you charge?? I am quite interested and would like to check it out. I am more into MMA then a specific art, but I think Judo is a great start.

Hello, Nigel.

MSPain

I coach Monday, Wednesday and Friday 630-830pm at Chiang University Gym you can come and watch. If you have problems with security just come and ask for me. Mobile 0819264210

How much do you charge?? I am quite interested and would like to check it out. I am more into MMA then a specific art, but I think Judo is a great start.

Hello, Nigel.

MSPain

There no charge it's free my motive is that to be consider for my 6th Dan I need to be training and have some involvement in Judo

• 4 months later...

hi

:o i am also a 5th dan judo from australia (jfa) 60 years old

i am also graded menkyo kaiden ( teaching licence)in ju jutsu traditional in japan, 3rd dan iaido and 3rd dan shindo muso ryu jodo ( japan graded)

i will be living around khon kean and considering teaching traditional ju jutsu and kobudo and judo in that area, i did some teaching in chiang mai ( wattana payap school ) a few years ago

[email protected]

hope to catch up with a few judoka and see if i can help i will be long term living

Hi, I'm interested in Aikido, any chance that you can get me the info of where I can find them if you have it handy? thanks.

Hi, I'm interested in Aikido, any chance that you can get me the info of where I can find them if you have it handy? thanks.

I think there is an Aikido class at the University

I think there is an Aikido class at the University

Yes there is Aikido at the University I went several times myself. However, the University is not back until May - School Holidays!

• 7 months later...

There is BJJ pedro schmall has opened a school here. I have just started training with him, and after spending last winter training in Brazil, I must say I am happy with his style of teaching. He is quite inexpensive, only 3000baht per month. classes 6days a week open mat 7days a week. If you want to find out more check out the group chiang mai BJJ on facebook.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to drag this up from the depths, but is the Aikido class still going on? I hold a green belt in Aikido but have missed a few years and am dying to get back into it. Prices, times and dates would be great? Also, where exactly is the uni, I live out in the sticks so I'm not too familiar with the city center.