Things Not To Joke About With Thai's

GeneralFritzPlugmaster

but yes that piece of drivel is easily disproved, all it takes is going into any restaurant in Thailand and listening.

The idea was that they were avoiding using Thai words which resembled English obscenities in the presence of English speakers, and that this practice grew up amongst students living in an English-speaking country.

However, it's quite clear that you're missing the point deliberately. I don't really care at a personal level but you're rather taking the fun out of this thread, jdinasia.

(For those who may be wondering why jdinasia is so humourless and persistent, it's because I am not pro-PAD. He commented earlier on this thread that I lacked credibility "on other threads" because I made a reference to guide books. :o:D . )

Edited by sylviex

Are you saying it's a myth?

I think this whole subject requires a matter of perspective. What one may call large, another may call small. Some like their hotdogs plain, others don't mind a little cheese on the top.

Personally speaking, I have never had a customer settle for the 6inch when the footlong is available at the same price. But I hear that for some purveyors, the only way they can get a footlong is to actually do it 3 times in a row.

You know what they say, its better to have too much of a good thing than too little of a bad thing.

Never ever display a Manchester United avatar.

Amen to that. Still, there are plenty of scum fans in thailand, so it'll be a home away from home for James. Surrey, I mean.

but yes that piece of drivel is easily disproved, all it takes is going into any restaurant in Thailand and listening.

The idea was that they were avoiding using Thai words which resembled English obscenities in the presence of English speakers, and that this practice grew up amongst students living in an English-speaking country.

However, it's quite clear that you're missing the point deliberately. I don't really care at a personal level but you're rather taking the fun out of this thread, jdinasia.

(For those who may be wondering why jdinasia is so humourless and persistent, it's because I am not pro-PAD. He commented earlier on this thread that I lacked credibility "on other threads" because I made a reference to guide books. :o:D . )

This thread isn't about you :D or about the PAD ... it's about JOKES.

and no, I was thinking about what your guidebook references meant in relation to your deep insight into financially based relationships which showed the same level of thought .....

But now you seem to be asserting that what a group of Thai students studying in the US in 1951 has bearing on Thai language any other place or time

but again .... this is about what NOT TO JOKE ABOUT :D

Edited by jdinasia

and no, I was thinking about what your guidebook references meant in relation to your deep insight into financially based relationships

Oh dear, so that stung, too, did it :o ?

This thread indeed concerns what subjects not to joke about with Thais, which obviously includes taboos, as I am sure you are able to discern.

Sorry, everyone, for defending my own comments here to mr jdinasia; I am sure it's very tedious.

Edited by sylviex

Had a very quick snoop about the internet and found:

reservethaihotels.com/Vol.1/dos-and-donts.html (webpage itself no longer there but the quote remains on google).

Found that site, looks like it's been moved or something:

http://www.reservethaihotels.com/Vol.1/sta...-and-donts.html

I once folded a Thai bank note to make it look like the King was smiling if you held it one way, and frowning if you held it the other way.

The wife was VERY unimpressed :o

Never really had too much of a problem. I feel Thai's do understand a joke, understand sarcasm and are happy to joke about most subjects as long as you know the person and they understand you are joking.

The only times it has backfired on me is when the person does not know I am joking.

Are there words in English/other first languages you avoid using around Thais ?

Ham.

What does it mean :o ?

It means prick (colloquialism) ..... you need to be a complete chili to not know that. (joke)

tacky .... and I wouldn't have gotten that with that spelling and not a 'u'

but still tacky

The slapstick stuff that is supposed to be funny, involving dwarfs and tranvestites and sound effects don't really tickle my funny bone. Especially when played allowed on a twelve hour bus journey!!

then i must be a simpleton... i laughed until i cried on a bus from korat to bangkok witht he some movie of slapstick.. my kids love the thai slapstick (israelis like that stuff too i guess)....and the famous thai comedian we have on dvd is enjoyed by all mykids and their friends but i had to translate....especially their rendition of hava nagila in thai, they did for the israeli consulate event... there was a youtube link once for them (its the issaan comedy group, cant remember their names, but he is famous and good)

my dad always said that the way to tell when u are fluent in a language or immersed in its culture is when u understand the humour, and u can crack a joke in their language and tehy like it...

most jokes, translated from englsih to hebrew, and then from hebrew to thai, fall flat, and vice versa (my son is rather tediuous about comedy at the moment trying to go for stand up comedy which i hate, in english hebrew or thai)... i've tried to translate some scenes from the tv from hebrew to thai. zip. nada. not funny. and all my 'blue i.e. dirty jokes since i'v worked with animals so long, they all , the thai guys, look at me with a blank expression. must get lost in the translation and also anon says its not nice for me to say those jokes. but the few thai girls here says dirty jokes and get a laugh. guess my status as farang wife doesnt allow for penis jokes.

monty python drew a blank in thai (for husband, but also for my kids, the ones that dont speak english well.) the dead parrot scene just got bored looks. so did the nudge nudge wink wink scene.

i know my sarcasm doesnt translate well in to thai. but im sure thais have their own types of humour that just go past us, since its lost in translation and dont forget, some jokes and puns are based on local topics that u might be familiar with but they arent. my father, a brooklynite and proud of it, makes jokes that no one here ever gets. only other people his age from his area.

thais do like visual action jokes , teh boiiiiiiing slapsticks but also things like imitating a person eating who is eating like as animal BUT NOT A DOG (ma is not a good word to a thai male, so i avoid the word for horse as well- maa), teh banana jokes (gluiy vs. kwooy penis jokes); and im sure there are the equivalent to the jewish black people whatever jokes that only those of us belonging to that particular group are allowed to make; so only a thai could make a derogatory joke about a thai. coming from a farang might be off limits. fart jokes seem to go over big from what i can see with my son and my husband ... but that might just be a guy thing .

bina

israel

Edited by bina

found the youtube clip, it gets my kids hysterical every time...

thats the group i was referring to btw... they are very good and very very funny........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0RtRTx7NMA

its youtube hava nagila + thailand to find it if the link doesnt work....

it is absolutely hilarious......even now it got me laughing out loud. it was doen at ko samui for some 10 yr aniversary for global report....

bina

israel

Edited by bina

found the youtube clip, it gets my kids hysterical every time...

thats the group i was referring to btw... they are very good and very very funny........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0RtRTx7NMA

its youtube hava nagila + thailand to find it if the link doesnt work....

it is absolutely hilarious......even now it got me laughing out loud. it was doen at ko samui for some 10 yr aniversary for global report....

bina

israel

Watched the clip. Simply don't find it amusing, although I understood it and wanted to find it amusing. Many folks don't like this kind of visual comedy. I must be one of them. I prefer verbal comedy; Blackadder, Fawlty Towers along with various stand-up acts.

Not into the pie in face drum roll stuff. We had that type of comedy in the west and grew out of it.

After almost eleven years in Thailand, I had almost given up on ever being more than slightly amused by Thai humor, seeing that what is shown on TV is mostly slapstick and burlesque crude jokes (IMHO).

Granted that I have not been actively searching, but I figure i should have stumbled upon something by now.

I have been to see some Thai comedy movies at the theaters but never had a real good laugh, just a few giggles, and mostly find them tedious and childish.

Thus I was very pleasantly surprised when I bought a VCD copy of Note Udoms latest stand-up show at seven eleven, on a hunch... I found it absolutely hillarious (as did my Thai fiancee, and our daughters)!

My Thai is good enough to follow about 60% of the jokes, and the rest I could enjoy on the second and third viewing with some hints and explanations from the family.

Either way, to keep it on topic, he makes some pretty daring and smart jokes and jabs on past and current politicians (for example about one certain ex-PM, while his son was sitting in the audience!) and other public profiles, and seems to have gotten away with it, so I guess that is not that too much of a taboo.

Only complaint is that the bad language has been censored (cut out, no beeps luckily).

Apparently its his 7th installment of the show and I hope to find the earlier ones (anyone have any tips on where, please let me know).

Highly recommended,

bp

Search for "Note Udom" on YouTube for some samples.

i agree about the fat jokes, the thais love them and will notice if you put on or lose a single ounce! i think i went from a size 8 to a 10 and got called pom poi when i wanted an ice cream! i dont agree with the comment about sarcasm though, i think the thais DO get it, in fact i find their sense of humour more similar to the english than any other nationality that i have met...thats why i love it in thailand! their ability to take the mickey and wind you up without really offfending anyone is really spot on!...as for what NOT to joke abvout...the ghost thing is a big nono since their belief in the spirit world affects everyday life

They get a bit pissed when you point out how stupid they are..my missis got some fuc_kWITS to build a new house, the span of the beams was incredibly optimistic...like 6M, normally 3-4 is the max...but did they listen to the foreigner..not one word! Later, they had to tear it down, 100,000baht for a rockery! Like the temple they are currently fighting over, a complete wasre of time.

i agree about the fat jokes, the thais love them and will notice if you put on or lose a single ounce! i think i went from a size 8 to a 10 and got called pom poi when i wanted an ice cream! i dont agree with the comment about sarcasm though, i think the thais DO get it, in fact i find their sense of humour more similar to the english than any other nationality that i have met...thats why i love it in thailand! their ability to take the mickey and wind you up without really offfending anyone is really spot on!...as for what NOT to joke abvout...the ghost thing is a big nono since their belief in the spirit world affects everyday life

The Thais I know are careful to say I am not fat, just a big man. I think I qualify for being at least a little fat, but they have always been courteous in my presense. However from what I've read here, I am no doubt the subject of jokes behind my back. I don't care one way or the other.

The Thais I know are careful to say I am not fat, just a big man. I think I qualify for being at least a little fat, but they have always been courteous in my presense. However from what I've read here, I am no doubt the subject of jokes behind my back. I don't care one way or the other.

That's ok, because none of us have ever ever joked about a Thai. (where is Ms GO6 when you need her, I hate playing this role)

That's ok, because none of us have ever ever joked about a Thai. (where is Ms GO6 when you need her, I hate playing this role)

Actually, the more I think about it, there are so few farang in Lopburi things may be different here. My wife teaches aerobics and I have met hundreds of Thais while accompanying her and I never even pick up any negative body language from them. The people of Lopburi have been great, always a smile which I return. :o But any joking going on would be fine anyway, in my presense or not. It's good when everybody lightens up.

dont joke about ghosts at night.......

Haha! :o this is definitely the biggest no-no for me, even if I sit up quickly in bed and look around in an alarmed manner, she'll freeze then spew profanities at me something fierce. She warns that she has a duck back in Isaan that is hungry for chooped-off c-ck.

Maybe your partner need to go to the movies more often. Half of the movies seem to be about about ghosts, headless people, blood and guts etc...and comedies of such.

..or perhaps you should run now while you're still intact.

I dont know about "what jokes thai's dont like" but i dont think they understand the following:

Flippancy

Sarcasm

one liners

Puns

winding them up(pommy term)

like most people they are sensitive to remarks about their appearance,fatness etc.

but they do smile and laugh alot so they must find something funny,maybe its us!.........am only having a laugh ok.

You're wrong about the puns and one-liners! Puns and one liners are really common forms of Thai humor. However, English puns don't go over so well probrably because of the language barrier. If you're speaking to Thais, using Thai language, you'll find it quite common though.

You're right about the others though.. stay away from sarcasm unless you're REALLY close friends with them and you're sure that they'll find it funny.

Are there words in English/other first languages you avoid using around Thais ?

A few i've come across in personal experience..

Avoid the name "Jim" or going to the "gym", especially using it at the end of a question. for example, "Are you Jim?" or "Do you like the gym?" (The rising tone makes all the difference)

If you have a some english/aussie accents, avoid yelling "Here!" Americans pronounce the r strong enough that it isn't an issue.

the video clip i have listed from youtube is note udom and it was also with israelis in the audience; anybody here i show it to thinks its great but i guess we havent gotten as good as americans yet in the comedy area : NOT!!

i make ghost jokes all the time with my husband's friends (scary sounds and sneaking up behind and yelling boo!! and i even laugh with them about the dreams revealing numbers for the 'lek' and 'hoy' , and my husband calls our dog pee bhop when the dog is being annoying... and sarcasm? well, because we use tones with sarcasm, thai use words, but i have heard them being very sarcastic especially when talking back at employers who havent a clue (the sarcasm is in thai after answering or not answering in english/hebrew/thai mix)... and sometimes i've even heard sarcasm in the thai mixed language here when answering back at someone higher up (it gets lost on the employers usually but definately not lost on the rest of the workers looking on and cracking up afterwards)..

its just often not possible to translate humour because u need the cultural background to know why it is funny... to an outsider it might even seem poor taste, but to someone inside, the humour can be a relief from bad situations-- here, our humour often has terrorists, terrorist attacks, the army etc involved... to outsiders it probably seems scandolous. to us its often hysterically funny but sad or bitter also. and dont foreget, that with any nationality, the insiders can make jokes aabout themselves, but woe to an outsider making a 'funny' about the natiounality.

bina

israel