Ranong Visa Run - Any Company Recommendations?

It's an annoying trip, but no so so bad. I am due in 2 weeks to do one of these and hopefully no more.

Any recommendations on a company?

I know to expect the unexpected, just trying to avoid outright chaos and moral terror.

What's this 5$ bill thing I read about? Interesting that Abe Lincoln would be involved.

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Thailand/So...blog-48440.html

ah, I suppose they are selling these crispy new 10$ bills nearby someplace in accordance with the quasi-racket/ code of ethics/ farang enablement protocols?

it would be a neat bit of fun to see an example of a bill that had just de-crispified past the threshold, just to meet the master judge of bills. there's a guy someplace there everyone defers to,"he can tell you if it's crisp enough, he's the master, no one can defeat his technique".

-and if the wallpaper in the office has been changed from $5 to 10$.

-ah, but then, I must still research my original question. I found one site that said this, which is what got me to post:

http://www.wildkingdomtours.com/Visarun-eng.htm

Visa Runs are The Muang Thai’s revenge over all Farangs there are on long stay in Thailand. You have to get early up in the morning and a whole day’s uncomfortable travel is ahead. All farangs hate them. Furthermore it is quite normal that there is some kind of irregularity combined with a Visa Run. Either the standard of the bus is not what you required or you will have a break down on the way. What ever happens on a Visa Run you are not entitled to do any complains to our company as long as the mission of getting the visa stamp is fulfilled. We are only agents and have no influents on the management of the operating companies.

But at least it's an honest disclaimer. Can anyone recommend a company that's known for not driving off cliffs, having regular head-on collisions, border clashes, drug running, controlled by (evil) [brain-eating] <republican> alien overlords?

ah, I suppose they are selling these crispy new 10$ bills nearby someplace in accordance with the quasi-racket/ code of ethics/ farang enablement protocols?
If you can't pass the 'crispy test' then they want 500 THB.

Only recommendation I will make is DIY - find a couple of friends who will share the costs and hire a car. Its a 4ish hour drive there and 4ish back (depending on traffic), allow 2 hours for the boat ride and customs. Go to the pier by the gas station (park there) and there's a 'one stop' immigration service to the right of the pier itself - so you don't need to go to the main immigration. You can get a long tail for 300-500 THB. Don't buy any dodgy stuff in Burma; Thai Customs always search you on the way back.

Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...

I got a solid run to Ranong by booking with a company whose minivan is a 10 seater, and there were only 5 of us. 3 out of these 5 all said "this is by far the best service, and driver you will find". For 1,500 baht everything was handled and he completed our run safely and quite effectively in 12 hours flat. We left at 5:45 and got back at 5:25.

When we got to Ranong we did the 1-stop boat pier entry/exit and took a medium size boat across to burma, and everyone was slick enough to get back on board fast, allowing us to beat some traffic on the way back by about 20 mins... This driver has apparently done this run for a long long time, and just about every vehicle he passed me seemed to know the drivers, so only 1 or 2 lorries along the entire run ever stuck in front of him for too long, the rest let him fly safely past.

The seating was very comfortable and I was able to sleep instead of worry about certain or potential death. The 10$ bill thing and every other detail was handled to such an extent all I had to do was stand where was required. I never even saw the bills.

The bus says BLS "Bangkok Legal Services" and I booked through a small shop called "Simple Tour & Travel" on 81 Taina Rd. across from 7-11 through a woman named "Fon" who I have known from using her internet service.

Their # is 076-284236 tel/fax and mobile is 084 0531372 and their email is: [email protected]

So all in all, way way better than the more expensive "big bus" which is too long, too disorganized, too crowded, goes to the slow immigration office, stops everywhere way too often for snacks because all the stores bribe them to, and the return minivan drivers never really effectively disgorge you where you need to be with any sort of efficiency.

-krb

• 2 months later...

Local Bus from Kata to Phuket Town bus station = 20/40B (?)

Gov bus from Phuket Town to Ranong = 250ishB

They drop you on the highway across the road from bus station which you can see by the huge sign that says tourist centre, or something, think its yellow.

Cross highway to bus station = 2 min walk

Walk into Kiwi Orchid GH = Visa run with a smile for 400/500 baht includes taxi to Immigration, return boat and taxi back to Bus station

Its very easy and can be done in a day if you get up early, or stay the night in Ranong, but pls dont stay for too long as we are a local town for local people.

Thank you