Possiby Moving To Thailand

tatenen

Dear all

I woulkd like to ask you for help here. I am from Spain (educated in Scotalnd), scientist, possibly moving to Bangkok by february next year. I will be working as a postdoctoral researcher at Mahidol Uni for one year and extensible for one more. My salary would be around 30000 bahts... Here my questions:

1.- Is that the culture so different from western countries?

2.- Is the heat bearable?

3.- Is it possible to live off 30000 bahts per month? If I brought my girlfriend (something unlikely), would we be able to live with such as income?

4.- The uni and the group I would be working with sounded excellent and really nice. Is Mahidol a, so to speak, prestigious university?

Well, sorry for the battery questions in my first message, but I'm a wee scared as I have only lived abrad in Scotland for 4 years and moving to such a different culture kind of gets me scared...

Thanks a lot for the wonderful forum here.

Yours

Dear all

I woulkd like to ask you for help here. I am from Spain (educated in Scotalnd), scientist, possibly moving to Bangkok by february next year. I will be working as a postdoctoral researcher at Mahidol Uni for one year and extensible for one more. My salary would be around 30000 bahts... Here my questions:

3.- Is it possible to live off 30000 bahts per month? If I brought my girlfriend (something unlikely), would we be able to live with such as income?

4.- The uni and the group I would be working with sounded excellent and really nice. Is Mahidol a, so to speak, prestigious university?

Well, sorry for the battery questions in my first message, but I'm a wee scared as I have only lived abrad in Scotland for 4 years and moving to such a different culture kind of gets me scared...

Yours

You're a Scientist willing to work for 500 Pounds a month ?

Strange, but for what it's worth yes you should be able to survive on that money in Thailand, just depends how long you can survive on mama noodles and boiled eggs.

Edited by Maigo6

Dear all

Yours

Cant answer all your questions but:

1. Culture and mind set is completely different, very difficult to explain without writing a novel, but to give you a bit of advice a friend of mine gave me before I came to Thailand, he had been living here for 22 years at the time....Within 6 months of being here you will either love the place or hate it with a passion...

2. The heat is bearable, but you have to get used to it, you may struggle at the beginning as you are used to living in sunny Scotland..

3. THB 30,000 a month...its doable but may be a struggle, if the Uni is giving you accomadation and its THB 30,000 to eat and day to day without rent etc, then more possible, THB 30,000/month is about what an average English teacher gets in Thailand

4. Cant comment on the Uni

Plenty of Thais get by on much less than that. Don't expect to live that well nor to save any mony to take home though.

As for the heat, you would have to adapt, but most places you are likely to visit will have aircon. It's really the humidity that's a problem more than the heat.

Culture is great just stick between soi 4 and soi 24

Hot Hot Hot

30000 for 2 eeeezyyyeee. Spend a month practising this at home it will help

100 grms of chook

100 grms of beef pork etc. leave in the sun for approx 6 hours preferably next to your cars exhaust pipe whilst running. Cook it for 3 mins and then eat. Personally I love st food but I don't have to eat it . You will

Not sure about the Uni

Edited by zorro1

Thank you all for your answers. The University is in Bangkok, so I would expect that this is expensive within Thai standards.

According to your answers if I wanted to bring my g/f we both coulon't get by only on my salary, so whe should have to look for a job, something I don't believe whe would.

I was told that 30000 bahts a month was enough but I see it is with struggle....

Thanks again !!

I dont think you can legally work in Thailand for 30000 baht per month.

Believe that it is imposed by law here that europeans employed in Thailand must be paid wages of a minimum of 40000 baht per month , otherwise they cant be issued with a non immigrant (B) visa or a work permit.

The whole thing appears dodgy to me.

I would check this out prior to starting this job.

My family and I live very comfortable on only 26000 per month. Myself, wife, daughter, 2 dogs and large house, vehicles and everything. Cant see how it would be a struggle to live on 30000 a month. Especially for a couple. Some of you must lead pretty lavish lifestyles.

Edited by sassienie

Rent bargains are around in BKK but you need to be here and network with friends & colleagues.

The best rental I ever had was from a chat with a Thai couple in a pet shop. :o

The humidity is a killer but as said previously you will work in an airconed room or workshop.

Bring your GF?, no. not advisable on 30kb a month.

I don't think you can legally work in Thailand for 30000 baht per month.

Believe that it is imposed by law here that Europeans employed in Thailand must be paid wages of a minimum of 40000 baht per month , otherwise they cant be issued with a non immigrant (:o visa or a work permit.

I used to have a salary of 30.000 bht with WP and Non-B visa (gone to the border every 3 months)

Many of my friends do this.

How it is with extension of stay based on employment and the required salary I don't know.

Now days I'm on extension of stay based on marriage

I don't think you can legally work in Thailand for 30000 baht per month.

Believe that it is imposed by law here that Europeans employed in Thailand must be paid wages of a minimum of 40000 baht per month , otherwise they cant be issued with a non immigrant (:o visa or a work permit.

I used to have a salary of 30.000 bht with WP and Non-B visa (gone to the border every 3 months)

Many of my friends do this.

How it is with extension of stay based on employment and the required salary I don't know.

Now days I'm on extension of stay based on marriage

Is that by choice mate?

Dear all

Yours

First of all you are from Spain ( ok educated in Scotland) In Spain the heat is just the same as over here, well we have a bit more humidity but that would not be a problem for you I guess. You get used to it after a while. About your salary I guess it is a just a touch to low for BKK if you have to pay rent for a condo. But if you get provided with accommodation by the uni it would be easy to survive

on that amount. Unless you go out every night to a night club :o

As for the culture shock element, would imagine Spain to Scotland is as much of a culture shock as Scotland to Thailand. :o

30K a month would be enough for a single man, but with yourself and a girlfriend may be tough. Depends on lifestyle. As another poster mentioned they (your employer) should pay over 40k to you, as a foreigner for tax / work permit. So might be worth going back and telling your potential employer you need a larger wage. They should know that. Likehood is they are planning on fiddling the books.

Also I do believe that if you are working you can obtain a year visa and your visting girlfriend can also obtain a long term visa. This rule may have changed, though.

As long as you have some money in the bank for a return ticket, safety net, then give it a try. It's a fun country.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

actually ..

1)the OP is doing post-doc research and it wouldn't be uncommon to be that poorly paid most anywhere whilst still a student

2)The info given regarding WP's and extension of stay etc are incorrect. The OP can get both with that salary.

3)The climate in Spain and Thailand are not similar :o

4) Mahidol is a very respected Uni (at least in Medicine)

As for the culture shock element, would imagine Spain to Scotland is as much of a culture shock as Scotland to Thailand. :o

30K a month would be enough for a single man, but with yourself and a girlfriend may be tough. Depends on lifestyle. As another poster mentioned they (your employer) should pay over 40k to you, as a foreigner for tax / work permit. So might be worth going back and telling your potential employer you need a larger wage. They should know that. Likehood is they are planning on fiddling the books.

Also I do believe that if you are working you can obtain a year visa and your visting girlfriend can also obtain a long term visa. This rule may have changed, though.

As long as you have some money in the bank for a return ticket, safety net, then give it a try. It's a fun country.

now I am self employed I earn less then 20k per month I have 2 business and I live very good

yes I don't go to clubs every night or restaurants so what is the problem?

now I am self employed I earn less then 20k per month I have 2 business and I live very good

That only begs the question .... what about your visa and work permit and business licenses?

I think they are taking the pizz with that salary, try somewhere else, that's a pathetic amount.

Unfortunately university salaries in Thailand are low. Even a full professor's basic salary is only 35,000 baht per month in a public university. However, some people augment this by receiving extra payments for additional responsibilities or for part-time work in other universities.One issue is whether there are additional fringe benefits. Many Thai academics are losing things such as good health insurance coverage because there is a move to shift them from civil servant status to public service officer status, which is less attractive. Overall Thailand does not compare with European academic salaries, low though these may be compared to the private sector. I think 30K would be quite tight. Housing would be a big plus, but the university accommodation I have seen is not very luxurious.

Mahidol (pronounced meh-ee-don) is one of the leading Thai universities, especially for medicine and science subjects. Currently in terms of international university rankings it is in the top five Thai institutions. It has I think about three campuses, with the main ones at Bangkok Noi and Phayathai in Bangkok, and at Salaya near Nakhon Pathom on the outskirts. Living in Salaya is cheaper than central Bangkok but it is not very lively in terms of bars, restaurants etc.

Edited by citizen33

I could live on 20k a month easy. It helps if you know the language and have lived here some time.

I own a Thai limited company and employ two Farangs. Each one has to be paid over 40k (on the books) to obtain work permit and pay tax. That's the probelm.

I could live on 20k a month easy. It helps if you know the language and have lived here some time.

I own a Thai limited company and employ two Farangs. Each one has to be paid over 40k (on the books) to obtain work permit and pay tax. That's the probelm.

I feel for you, I don't know the language at all, I am only here for just over one year, my share in our company was 49 per cent, I dissolved it I made it a partnership with my wife I do not employ any farangs. My friend had a company here in Thailand he only emploeyd farangs they took him to the cleaners. I am a farang and I am proud of it but most farangs over here are to gready they think they can make the same amount of money over here what they used to make in there own country.

Hi all

Thanks a lot for your replies, they were quite enlightening though some of you think that would be enough and others seem to say it is enough but not to celebrate, so I think I would struggle with or without g/f...

About life int Bangkok or Thailand in particular, well, I am not somebody fussy, I like to eat healthy and gym, do not drink, smoke a little and don't need to dinner out everyday, although on weekends I like to go out, although here in Madrid I can manage with £600, I don't need to live in style so much, but I hate not having enough to live with a minimum westener standard comfort, so to speak.

So you think the Thailand embassy in madrid could help me? Specially when you say that you should get paid a minimum of 40k baht if you're a farang...

Thanks again

the 40k you were quoted was wrong it will not be applicable to your position with Mahidol.

Mahidol will give you all the documents you need and will most likely take care of all your interactions in Thailand for both a Work Permit and your 90 day reporting.

The thing to check on imho is will they be providing housing? If decent basic housing is included then you should at least look into it further.

Another thing to check into would be which campus you would be working at.

The majority of Thais eat out on a regular basis but they eat simple food most meals. You could in theory have 3 meals a day for less than 100 baht a day. In practice you will spend that some days and 5 times that for a single meal on other days. You will find decent food on campus at what would seem ridiculously cheap prices compared to Europe. When I was eating at Chulalongkorn Uni 5 days a week (but only lunch) I think I never spent more than 40 baht a meal. (I spent more for coffee and 2 donuts before going to class!)

You should have access to a gym etc for free at the Uni. There should be at least a few other foreigners on each campus for socializing.

Thai people at first glance are very friendly and quite forgiving of minor faux pas. They can be a bit harder to get to know and develop meaningful friendships with but on the superficial level they are easy to feel comfortable with!

I'd say give it a shot if the offer is to do something you are really interested in!

Believe that it is imposed by law here that europeans employed in Thailand must be paid wages of a minimum of 40000 baht per month , otherwise they cant be issued with a non immigrant (:D visa or a work permit.

My family and I live very comfortable on only 26000 per month. Myself, wife, daughter, 2 dogs and large house, vehicles and everything. Cant see how it would be a struggle to live on 30000 a month. Especially for a couple. Some of you must lead pretty lavish lifestyles.

Here Here :D Most of the guys on here probably need the Benz, Beemer and caviar :o

Many Thai people live on less than that and are "relatively" comfortable. As long as you don't spend foolishly, you'll be just fine.

Believe that it is imposed by law here that europeans employed in Thailand must be paid wages of a minimum of 40000 baht per month , otherwise they cant be issued with a non immigrant ( :D visa or a work permit.

Here Here :D Most of the guys on here probably need the Benz, Beemer and caviar :o

Many Thai people live on less than that and are "relatively" comfortable. As long as you don't spend foolishly, you'll be just fine.

His not Thai :D

Tatenen, In answer to your question about Mahidol U., it is usually considered to be among the top three universities in Thailand and probably the best in medicine and science. My Thai wife would be able to answer all of your questions accurately and in depth as she has post graduate degrees from Mahidol and has spent a great portion of her life there. She would have answered your question here on the forum but is currently traveling in Europe and will not be back until this weekend. Many of her close friends are currently either professors or doing post doctorial research at Mahidol so if you have any questions that you want answered very accurately, please feel free to pm me and I will give her the message when she returns this weekend and I will ask her to respond directly to all your questions.

Its no problem to live on 30k a month , you need a place to stay and if you can find an apartment for under 10k, you will survive.

Edited by balo

Its no problem to live on 30k a month , you need a place to stay and if you can find an apartment for under 10k, you will survive.

I had an apartment in a Thai building at the bottom of Sukhumvit soi 22 the rent was B3,900 , with utilities and cable , the most i paid was B4500 per month . Clean , security cameras in the hallways , elevator , washing machines and pure water dispenser down stairs , 7/11 around the corner , all kinds of street vendors etc . I bought a fridge and microwave to cook for myself , walked through the back streets to Klong-Toey for my food shopping , could live comfortable off B20,000 and a life to boot .