Had A Bad Day

Gravelrash

I am generally happy here or I wouldn't be here. Usually takes a bit to phase me.

Recently had to renew my sons visa again. Go to immigration for the requirements, they say they don't know, I should ask the school...hmmm. He has extended a Non O twice without any drama. School gives the documents, take son to Immigration, ah need more paper. So after 3 years on the same visa with same documents extending it is now a problem. I also have a work permit. He has been here without a visa for a week now and it seems he is being required to change to an ed visa.

I know it will all sort itself out, but sometimes I do wonder why people are employed with what seems little other purpose than to aggravate foreigners with ever changing rules. Add to that a mindless cretin trying to crush me on the way home in a pickup and it was time for a few drinks tonight. Tomorrow will be better. :o

As an aside the new Range Rover looks nice, saw a couple (in uniform) driving one into Immigration as I pulled out.

Sometimes it takes travel outside LOS to give another perspective to having a bad day. Especially around the Middle East. Last night arrived in Dammam, Saudi Arabia from Doha, Qatar. This is a 35min flight.

It took three and a half hours in the immigration line to get through. In line with three plane loads of foreign workers. Maids in a separate line. Saudi officials playing musical chairs in their booths. Leaving a line of people guessing wether they'd be back or have just left for the day. Took 15-20 min breaks whenever it suited them. People slept on the floor, only to be rudely awakened by the officials and told to get in line in front of an empty booth.

I have stood line line on arrival at SVB as well; a whole 45min and thought about complaining about that as well; in fact I did..

Landed at 9pm; arrived at the hotel at 2am. Flying out tonight again. Not looking forward to that one.

I'll have a bad day in LOS, any time!!

Over the years here I have discovered that I need to get away (i.e. back to the West) at least twice a year or my irritation level rises to the boiling point. I'm a fairly mellow person most of the time, but last year I stayed in LOS for a continuous 12 months and it was too long for me. I am now nearing the end of a months stay in the southern California desert which is the opposite of Bangkok: dry heat, no pollution and utter SILENCE. I will be ready for 6 or 7 months in LOS again when I return next week.

For me, also, it is a physical thing more than mental. My body feels so much better here than in LOS.

But I love LOS and am anxious to return!

Petty theft:

This week my misses had her phone stolen whilst in the toilet in a Salon. OK my wife was foolish for leaving it laying around but it is blatantly obvious who stole it because only one person left the salon during that time.

The phone itself was quite cheap, although it did hold some photographs and of course the all important SIM card.

But the really irritating thing is that despite knowing without reasonable doubt who took it (and we know where she lives), we know that, and this is my pet hate for the week, THERE IS NOTHING THAT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT.

GRRRRRRRR%RR.

I am generally happy here or I wouldn't be here. Usually takes a bit to phase me.

Recently had to renew my sons visa again. Go to immigration for the requirements, they say they don't know, I should ask the school...hmmm. He has extended a Non O twice without any drama. School gives the documents, take son to Immigration, ah need more paper. So after 3 years on the same visa with same documents extending it is now a problem. I also have a work permit. He has been here without a visa for a week now and it seems he is being required to change to an ed visa.

I know it will all sort itself out, but sometimes I do wonder why people are employed with what seems little other purpose than to aggravate foreigners with ever changing rules. Add to that a mindless cretin trying to crush me on the way home in a pickup and it was time for a few drinks tonight. Tomorrow will be better. :o

Let me take a SWAG....Mukdahan...sounds just like her.

I know it will all sort itself out, but sometimes I do wonder why people are employed with what seems little other purpose than to aggravate foreigners with ever changing rules. Add to that a mindless cretin trying to crush me on the way home in a pickup and it was time for a few drinks tonight.

Have you considered an anger management course? :o

It took three and a half hours in the immigration line to get through.

My record is 9 hours 40 minutes at Jeddah - start of Ramadan 1989.

Thank you for this bit of info!! This is all I need...

Heading for Jeddah in three weeks; fortunately Ramadan is done!!

Petty theft:

This week my misses had her phone stolen whilst in the toilet in a Salon. OK my wife was foolish for leaving it laying around but it is blatantly obvious who stole it because only one person left the salon during that time.

The phone itself was quite cheap, although it did hold some photographs and of course the all important SIM card.

But the really irritating thing is that despite knowing without reasonable doubt who took it (and we know where she lives), we know that, and this is my pet hate for the week, THERE IS NOTHING THAT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT.

GRRRRRRRR%RR.

Sorry to hear about the phone Global,

One consolation is the wife will be able to get her old number back on a new sim card.

You may already know this, but I'll mention it anyway as similar happened to me recently, not stolen but lost in a drunken haze, it's a bummer that all the contacts will have been lost, but she can get her old number back again from AIS or DTac.

With AIS it was totally free.

Edited by Maigo6