How Much Do You Tip?

wrksysact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to tip my usual 10% at the end of a meal...but my Thai hosts laughed and said it was much to much!

What is the correct amount and how much do you tip?

I had the same experience: My ex-girlfriend told me off for tipping too much, and said that 20baht was sufficient, but i felt like such a miser just tipping a twenty.

I tried to tip my usual 10% at the end of a meal...but my Thai hosts laughed and said it was much to much!

What is the correct amount and how much do you tip?

I had the same experience: My ex-girlfriend told me off for tipping too much, and said that 20baht was sufficient, but i felt like such a miser just tipping a twenty.

Maybe not much for us but at Macdonalds in BKK those kids work for 18-23 baht per hour and no tips.

I was told not to tip at all in side street family run eateries as all they earn stays with them.

Other places, 20-30B, max 50.

Room maids - 20b on both pillows, 40 altogether per day.

I've had the same tipping experience.

In the past my Thai friends would tell me to only leave the coins from the change. At times they've picked up the notes I have left as a tip and placed them back in my pocket.

Now I just follow their lead and haven't heard any bad comments from waiters as I leave.

As a rule of thumb 10% to a maximum of 50B in most places.

High class places tend to include service but a 20 - 40B tip on the table always seems to be appreciated as I was once told that service charges skimmed by hotels and top end restaurants tends to go towards the wages and not as an extra.

I have been out with Thais in the past to whom tipping is still an alien concept.

'No one tips me for doing my job so why should I tip them' is their train of thought.

Tips....Depends on what you are getting.

Twenty Baht usually ,,,but if the person servicing you (I thank you) has a good attitude it or makes an effort to do something towards your enjoyment(I thank you again ) of making you time at their place cool,it could go up to say ,two hundred or so......

soi6

Tipping is a US thing, please don't bring it to Thailand.

Yeah, it's so employers can get people for the lowest possible wage, encourage their staf to offer a nice, polite service and the oppurtunity to put a little bit extra in their pockets.

(sound familiar?)

During a visit to TX, one barmaid i met was depending on the tips to pay for the babysitter. whilst using the basic wage for subsistance..

i dont see anything wrong with it tbqh, it's *not* a US thing, it's an appreciation thing (did i mention i dont tip when bad service is involved?)

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_333.html

Seems to more British..... :o

"Tipping spread from England to colonial America, but after the revolution it was frowned upon (temporarily) as a hangover from the British class system. One only tipped one's social inferiors, which, lest we forget, did not exist in the brave new world. Unfortunately, the working class eventually got around to swallowing its pride, and tipping returned with all the fervor it possesses today. Even the Communist countries have not entirely succeeded in eliminating the practice. These days, of course, taxi drivers and waitpersons depend on tips for a substantial part of their income. If you didn't tip, presumably they'd expect to be paid more, and your restaurant bills and taxi fares would consequently be higher. The fifteen percent standard is mostly a question of what the market will bear. In New York, the figure these days is twenty percent; European restaurants generally add a ten percent gratuity to the bill"

And, it's been in Thailand for a long time already. Too late to keep it out....

Australian, perhaps? :D

Guess we discussed this before.

I do not care so much for the amount but want to be neither a stingy b..stard nor an i*iot who over-tips.

As long as we talk about restaurants/bars/pubs, if Thai-managed it is coins up to maximum Baht 50, certainly depending on the amount of the bill.

If you have dinner with a few people and the bill goes to a couple of thousand Baht

a 100 or 200 will do, provided the service was ok.

Unfortunately, staff working in foreign-managed places, get spoiled and expect more, but if you know the staff, they will tell you they like the money, of course,

but much more prefer a normal tip (20-50) and a THANK YOU, with a smile.

Bear in mind, most places add already 10 % to the bill which is a tip to be shared by the staff.

No, America-bashing, but madsere is right, tipping is a US-thing that was until 10-15 years nearly unknown in Thailand.

Guess we discussed this before.

I do not care so much for the amount but want to be neither a stingy b..stard nor an i*iot who over-tips.

As long as we talk about restaurants/bars/pubs, if Thai-managed it is coins up to maximum Baht 50, certainly depending on the amount of the bill.

If you have dinner with a few people and the bill goes to a couple of thousand Baht

a 100 or 200 will do, provided the service was ok.

Unfortunately, staff working in foreign-managed places, get spoiled and expect more, but if you know the staff, they will tell you they like the money, of course,

but much more prefer a normal tip (20-50) and a THANK YOU, with a smile.

Bear in mind, most places add already 10 % to the bill which is a tip to be shared by the staff.

No, America-bashing, but madsere is right, tipping is a US-thing that was until 10-15 years nearly unknown in Thailand.

Same meTHB 20-50, unless the wife is with me. Then it changes to " I gave her more because I think she needs it" Go figure!

Usually only leave the coins. My wife insists on this. We have a favourite bbq buffet place we visit frequently and they babysit my infant daughter while we eat. I leave 20 baht , although it is not expected as they love the chance to play with a Luk Khueng(sp) . The gas/petrol jockey who cleans the windscreen 10 baht . Pizza delivery guy, 10 baht.Any plave with a service tax, no tip. Maybe i am stingy but just because i am farang does not mean i will tip anymore than a Thai.

So how is the service in the US on average, better or worse than in Thailand?

Service in the US is amazing, I just hate the fake attitude!

Don't mind tipping in the US, but not to the frigging owner of the bar. Me and a buddy were in New York a few years ago visiting a friend and she took us down her local for a few. Bought a round and the barman plonked the change on the bar(about 2 or 3 bucks) closer to himself even with my hand out. So I scooped up every last cent and said, cheers mate. Our friend was horrified and quickly went back to the bar to tip the guy...THE OWNER...<deleted>!!! Made a point not to tip the <deleted> one <deleted> cent the whole night and stayed in the bar till closing.

It all depends on the 'class' of establishment you are referring to. I hardly eat out at 'proper' restaurants. As far as local roadside eateries and seaside type establishments go, I have yet to come across one where they don't literally plonk the plates, cutlery and food down in front of you and make you feel as if you should be grateful to them for doing so...unless of course you are drinking alcohol. Attitude changes straight away, can't do enough for you! :o