How Much Do You Tip?

wrksysact

I tip according to where I am, and if my wife's with me...

In Thailand, depending on the price of the meal it can range from the coins in the change, to including a couple of 20s. More when I'm on my own, less when my wife is with me...

In the UK, it's generally 10% in the type of restaurant where you're expected to tip.

In the US - you have to tip 15% because that's what the IRS assumes the person is making - anything less than 10% and most of your tip will be tax, and if you don't tip - the waiter will literally be paying to serve you...

In Japan - nothing. (I have tried tipping a couple of times, but it got handed back, so I gave up).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually 10%. Just make sure it's not less than 20THB. If totally pissed, 100+. I was earning Thai rate salary. But I believed I was still more fortunate than most of the staff. But if 10% Service Charge is already included in the bill, no bloody tip.

Neeranam

But your not poor are you,you are a well paid teacher with two jobs.

NO

I am not well paid teacher,

I don't have two jobs. Who told you this?

I do ok, but I know the value of money in this country. I was poor arouind 97, and I don't like people making fun of me just because I am farang and must be rich, why?

If I earn 20,000 a month and a taxi driver from Roi Et working in Bangkok earns 5,000 a month , who is richer? It is obvious isn't it?

He can go home and give money ot his family every month or two. It costs him 200/300 Baht to visit home.

If I go home it costs me 75,000 baht for the flights alone. If I save 5,000 baht a month that means I may be able to go home once every two years. I don't give any money to my family! So now my salary is down to 15,000. My childrens school costs a ###### of a lot more than the taxi drivers kids.

I have additional expenses too being a foreigner.

The taxi driver can afford to get pissed every night, can I?

So you see, when I get into a taxi in Bangkok when I don't take the bus, and the driver expects a tip because of people like you, I get very pissed off.

Actually I was in Bangkok recently and when I showed the driver my knowledge of his local Isarn dialect he said 50 Baht instead of 55Baht. he said a few things about foreigners who tip and laughed saying "you know the score" This sums it up for me.

You don't tip taxi drivers do you?

Do you tip barbers? They laugh at you if you do :o

I can't say you shouldn't but I certainly don't do it. I would rather give money to a needy charity than tip UNECCESSARILY.

Generally I tip.

But, I had several experiences (in BKK) of taking taxis when the driver rounded the fair down, eg meter said maybe 65, he said give me 60.

That really confused me coming from the UK where I'd feel guilty if I didn't tip the driver.

I think Neeranam, lives "up-country" and generaly tipping is generally not expected (although appreciated)

Usually :-

Noddle stall or simular - Loose change (few bhat) or nothing

Decent reasteraunt- about 20 bhat

Taxi- up here NA as they dont exist. In BKK sometimes I'll round it up to nearest 5 or 10bhat, but then again, sometimes I've had taxi's round it down when asking for the money.

I rarely leave more than 20 bht, but if you want to it's up to you, lets face it its difficult to p1ss someone off by giving them to much money :D

If there is a service charge I dont give anything, if I'm out with the wife she usually pays as I dont usually carry the money, she tips slightly more than me. My mother-in-law would have a heart attack if we tipped someone 100 bht :o

In the US - you have to tip 15% because that's what the IRS assumes the person is making - anything less than 10% and most of your tip will be tax, and if you don't tip - the waiter will literally be paying to serve you...

There's that word again. In the US, you HAVE to tip . Do I <deleted>!! I'll pay the price on the menu and will tip if I had a good meal and good service and up to me what I leave; what's this percentage crap? let the <deleted> owner pay the wages, it's his employee. Where los is concerned, if they're expecting it, ie - bringing out your change broken down or stand there hovering over you then they'll get zip. Sorry, out of the bed the wrong side this morning, but I hate this notion of having to or being expected to tip willy-nilly.

> I have friends that work in a one of the busiest bars on Khao San rd.

Ah, another good one: Most Khao San Road bars demand you pay on the spot per glass, like bars do in the West. Nice.

(So no tip here either; they cause me unnecessary effort by checking and paying every time I order a drink. This is not good service --> no tip. Really. And besides, it's Khao San Road... you're unlikely to be the cheapest bastard around no matter what you do. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

> 10 baht= 13p

> 20 baht= 26p

13p = 25.3 Nigerian Kwazoodles

25.3 Nigerian Kwazoodles = 2.53 seashells.

Relevance? :D

In the end of course it's up to every one of us; I don't mind if people tip 20, 50, even 100 or 500 baht, up to them, more money into the local economy.

Also I wasn't entirely accurate when I said: "I mostly just leave the coins, rarely over 10 baht". That should have read: "I remove any coins over 10 baht, or if there are coins that amount to less than 10 baht then I top it up to 10 baht." In addition I should add that this is mostly at middle class restaurants where the bill is mostly 150-300 baht for two (this is Chiang Mai) I rarely eat at top-end restaurants, say a bill of over 500 baht for two. When I do, I might leave 20. In Bangkok I find that quite a few restaurants add a service charge. If there's no avoiding these places then I don't tip, needless to say, they already hit me with 10% extra!

This is quite something when you think about it: ONE good meal will pay the waitress salary for the day on 10%! 2000 baht bill, 200 baht service charge ==> 5000 baht monthly salary. NICE! At some fancy restaurants, tippers pay staff's wages several times over PER EVENING! Wow. Is anyone still assuming that all tips go to staff's salary? Right.

Oh yes, don't get me started on parking lot attendants. My car is quite capable of resting on all fours without any outside assistance, nor does it require it's windscreen wipers to be made stand erect, thankyouverymuch. :o

(Then again, if I park at some area that's not part of the restaurant, say park at some closed company's parking lot, then the night watch attendant will get some money. They're mostly nice guys too, unlike the parking-lot-leeches employed (?) by restaurants. )

Cheers,

Chanchao

I rest my case
Good :o
This is quite something when you think about it: ONE good meal will pay the waitress salary for the day on 10%! 2000 baht bill, 200 baht service charge ==> 5000 baht monthly salary. NICE! At some fancy restaurants, tippers pay staff's wages several times over PER EVENING! Wow. Is anyone still assuming that all tips go to staff's salary? Right.

Quite!

here's the thing...if you like the service and intend to come back, tip big. if you thought the food and service was pretty ordinary and don't expect to come back, just leave a token sum, like coins or 20 bt max.

i learnt something recently from an old gentleman that really changed my perspective on tipping. he said, "never be stingy to those who serve you, because they have so little, and the money really means nothing to you. always find opportunities to be generous and you will find life much easier". i thought about it and i find it true. the old gentleman lives a such graceful life, surrounded by friends and staff who genuinely respect him. waiters and service people at restaurants and hotels that he frequents are always attentive and eager to please and generally go out of the way for the most menial things. we spend so much of our lives kicking and screaming and combating people, if we were to be actively generous instead, sure some people will exploit it, who cares, but most will appreciate and reciprocate. okay i'll just shut up now. :o

here's the thing...if you like the service and intend to come back, tip big.  if you thought the food and service was pretty ordinary and don't expect to come back, just leave a token sum, like coins or 20 bt max.

i learnt something recently from an old gentleman that really changed my perspective on tipping.  he said, "never be stingy to those who serve you, because they have so little, and the money really means nothing to you.  always find opportunities to be generous and you will find life much easier".  i thought about it and i find it true.  the old gentleman lives a such graceful life, surrounded by friends and staff who genuinely respect him.  waiters and service people at restaurants and hotels that he frequents are always attentive and eager to please and generally go out of the way for the most menial things.  we spend so much of our lives kicking and screaming and combating people, if we were to be actively generous instead, sure some people will exploit it, who cares, but most will appreciate and reciprocate.  okay i'll just shut up now.  :o

Here here!

Tightasses should be banned. Full stop.

Share a little and you will get a lot more in return. Life's too short to be stingy about everything every day of your life. Where's your spirit? It's Christmas for gods sake. (OK, I know that the majority of Thais are Buddhist, but SOME of them aren't). And the Akha people selling stuff in Bangkok are mainly Christian, so they would love a little extra to take home to their families when they go. Have a heart.

Here here!

Tightasses should be banned. Full stop.

Share a little and you will get a lot more in return. Life's too short to be stingy about everything every day of your life. Where's your spirit? It's Christmas for gods sake. (OK, I know that the majority of Thais are Buddhist, but SOME of them aren't). And the Akha people selling stuff in Bangkok are mainly Christian, so they would love a little extra to take home to their families when they go. Have a heart.

We aren't talking about tightasses, we are talking about if tips are needed.

So these people selling things at nana are Christian! Why didn't someone tell me bfore? I must rush out and give them some money. Won't the church look after them, they are all richer than you or I. As you say Thais are mainly Buddhist so x-mas doesn't exist.

A work colleague was talking with me about tipping this morning and it got me thinking. She said that in the USA they "have to" tip! I said what about KFC and she said no.

What happens if you don't tip? Do they piss in your drink the next time you go? I know this is the case in India with the "backsheesh".

Here, should one tip the guy that gives you your KFC?

I give Pizza-Hut something if the service is good(rarely). All they do extra is bring the food to the table and fill the glass once or twice.

I have never heard of anyone tipping the KFC, but maybe it does happen by those who tip barbers, taxi drivers and hill-tribe people.

What about 7/11 people? I tipped once when I heard how much they got paid, but stopped when they got embarrassed.

I would love a comprehensive list from someone who knows Thai culture about who and when to tip, and why.

Should I have tipped the guys who laid the cement in the garden last week?

They probably already charged me more than the going rate. I think it would have been foolish. I did, however buy them 3 bottles of Leo beer. Didn't seem much after I had forked out 12,000 baht. They were happy and didn't even mention a tip.

A work colleague was talking with me about tipping this morning and it got me thinking. She said that in the USA they "have to" tip! I said what about KFC and she said no.

What happens if you don't tip? Do they piss in your drink the next time you go? I know this  is the case in India with the "backsheesh".

Here, should one tip the guy that gives you your KFC?

I give Pizza-Hut something if the service is good(rarely). All they do extra is bring the food to the table and fill the glass once or twice.

I have never heard of anyone tipping the KFC, but maybe it does happen by those who tip barbers, taxi drivers and hill-tribe people.

What about 7/11 people? I tipped once when I heard how much they got paid, but stopped when they got embarrassed.

I would love a comprehensive list from someone who knows Thai culture about who and when to tip, and why.

Should I have tipped the guys who laid the cement in the garden last week?

They probably already charged me more than the going rate. I think it would have been foolish. I did, however buy them 3 bottles of Leo beer. Didn't seem much after I had forked out 12,000 baht. They were happy and didn't even mention a tip.

First time I came to Thailand, back in '98, I was in a McDonald's in Bangkok and the girl behind the counter asked for 20 baht...and it was a take away. Her actual words were, "give me 20 baht tip!". As I wasn't in the best of moods anyway and really tired, I leaned over to her and said, "I'll give you a tip; don't <deleted> ask for one!" Pretty sure she got the message.

Interesting, how the subject 'tip' is viewed by all angles.

Back home, I learned in pubs and restaurants. No need to tip, but leave the small coins. If you are sitting at the bar, not at a table, no need to tip at all, because the bar is not a service area.

After I moved to Switzerland I learned very fast that you had to leave at least 10% as tip, because it was the waiter's salary. (Switzerland later changed the rules, as the visiting tourists could not understand why to leave 10% extra and adjusted to the 10% added to the bill-system.)

Moved from there to Japan, left a few coins and the waitress came chasing after me, since she thought I forgot my money.

Hong Kong. Originally left HK$ 1.00 (around 1971-2) which was appreciated e.g. for breakfast in a 5 *- hotel. No offence intented, but after the influx of US-tourists who left US$ 1 - 5.00 the 'locals' became outcasts for leaving HK$ 1.00, only.

Christmas-spirit: At least back home I do re-call how everybody prepared 'tips' for the mailman, the dust man etc. etc. That's once a year. Same for the traffic police. These guys, standing the whole year at major crossing regulating the traffic flow were overpacked with Christmas-gifts, wine, champagne, food etc. The car-drivers just stopped to leave it there and to say thank you.

In Japan I came accross similar things. Money in a white envleope for New Year or after a longer stay in a hotel to the maid or at the front desk. NEVER cash in the hand.

China and even Thailand: The staff suddenly remember their (often) Chinese origin and are very happy, before Lunar New Year, to receive a red envelope, which for sure is not empty.

We all can say, don't be stingy. Fine with me. OTH, I don't want to be the rude guy who overtips, which can be as bad as not tipping. Tipping is an art and, let's face it, is different from country to country.

Of course, the girls and boys in the service industry are lowly paid and happy about any extra income. Who is not? But they also have a pride. You can not buy their smile by over tipping, but get it free of charge, by making them feel appreciated.

My two Baht and a tip. :o

From what I understand, the tips are shared out between staff at the end of the night ? If we get really good service from one Thai , we make a point of putting a twenty firmly in thier hand and saying " this is for you because u do good job" (wife says in Thai) . Why should she/he share it with another waiter who sits on thier ass all night?

Oh well, my tip, pardon the pun, for workmen is a can of beer for each worker every day. If they work hard they get a bottle . I am talking Tiger or Singha here, not Chung, i ain't cheap :o

I can't believe the nonsense in this thread.

How much people earn in the job is irellevant. They are offered a salary and take the job based on that.

When I decide to go to a restaurant or bar, I make a decision based on the prices vs. the service I get for that money. If it is a good deal I may come back. If not I won't. If a shopkeeper can't pay his staff a salary decent enough to make them provide me the service I expect I will not return. When enough customers fail to return perhaps the owner can wake up and pay a better salary.

I can't believe the nonsense in this thread.

How much people earn in the job is irellevant. They are offered a salary and take the job based on that.

When I decide to go to a restaurant or bar, I make a decision based on the prices vs. the service I get for that money.  If it is a good deal I may come back. If not I won't.  If a shopkeeper can't pay his staff a salary decent enough to make them provide me the service I expect I will not return. When enough customers fail to return perhaps the owner can wake up and pay a better salary.

Spot on, Madsere. It's all down to the bloody employers. It's their employee and the cost of the employees wages should NOT be written into the customers' bill, no matter what country your in.